Walking shoes for plantar faciatis?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
burntout

Walking shoes for plantar faciatis?

Post by burntout » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 am

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for options regarding the best walking shoes or sneakers for plantar fasciitis. Large toe box is desirable.
Thank you all very much in advance

DSInvestor

Re: Walking shoes for plantar faciatis?

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:27 am

Try getting some SUPERFEET insoles with your next pair of shoes.
https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/patient ... f-products

For shoes, take a look at Keen and Altra brands.

REI sells these shoes and insoles. They have a great return policy if you're not 100% satisfied after the purchase.
Wiki

rob

Post by rob » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 am

For me.... Doc Martin boots - with insert - have been great.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

grayparrot

Post by grayparrot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 am

A friend who suffered from plantar f. was raving about the Kyboot. Although they are expensive, he said they worked such a miracle for him that he bought a financially-strapped friend a pair as a birthday present. I have not tried them myself as my plantar has responded about 90% to stretching and the ~$40 level insoles you can get from Amazon.

https://www.kybun.com/plantar-fasciitis

HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 am

+1 for the SuperFeet endorsement. This worked for me.

SteveKnox6

Post by SteveKnox6 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 am

Insoles and specialized shoes are only part of the battle. Make sure you stretch your calves regularly (2-3x) per day. Downward dog and wall stretches seem to work the best for me.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 am

I do not have this condition, but when I was reading the reviews prior to purchasing my New Balance 990 V3, it seems that it's an extremely popular shoe for those that do. They're a "Dad shoe", so the toe box is quite large.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 am

I had this condition 10 years ago. I drove to a family owned running shoe store a few towns away. The owner spent 45 minutes with me, he suggest a pair of Hoka running shoes. They weren't cheap $145, but it did over time completely cure me. My wife has this every few years and wears shoe inserts, but still can't beat it. She's been to several foot doctors. Basically they told her don't run and you'll be fine, hasn't had it since she stopped running.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 am

My dad swears by these walking shoes specifically for his plantar fasciitis: http://www.finncomfort.com

Not cheap by any means but have a large toebox and correct support.

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 am

People are suggesting to you insoles to manage your plantar faciatis. I agree. Most shoes have poorly constructed cheap insoles to support your arch. I will give you another suggestion for an insole. I swear by red wing moldable insoles. I play tennis and I had terrible plantar faciatis pain. I purchased the $45 insoles and haven't had a problem since. You don't have to mold the insoles to fit them to your shoe as suggested by the manufacturer. Just put them in. They last a long time, too. I tend to be careful in my spending but that was a good use of $45 even though there were less expensive options. You can get them online at Hank's Clothing I think it is. Best of luck.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 am

More than a few people wear shoes that are significantly too small, particularly as they age. Have your feet accurately measured and then add some room for any type of high use or impact (for you) exercise. I had some foot injuries and overuse issues from intensive racquet sports in the last few years and solved them completely by changing my shoes to 1 size larger and to a "wide" width. The larger shoes also make it easier to accommodate a better insole.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am

Also suggesting you find a shoe to wear INSIDE if you go barefoot. I wore flipflops from Vionics when I had PF.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am

Funny this topic came up. I just bought new Superfeet insoles (to replace an older one -- they lasted about 2 years.)

I saw a doctor when my plantar faciatis first hit. (I had no idea what it was, other than my feet hurt sufficiently to impede movement, and it wasn't getting better.)

They gave me a shot to relieve the swelling, which relieved the pain. They also told me to get Superfeet.

I use them on Rockports, which are walking shoes disguised as dress shoes. They also have straight out walking shoes as well.

JDot

Post by JDot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 am

I don't know your history, and I wont' be there to monitor you. But I suggest you at least consider doing some reading about people who have gotten better by going barefoot. The traditional response to PF treatment used to be to put people in special shoes which support the arch so that the PF is never stretched. Today, if I were treating someone I'd use the shoes as a tool. But I would want someone to go barefooted for periods of a time throughout the day as they could tolerate in order to stretch the fascia.

Also, I'd do some reading about what things in your daily life which might be leading your body to having an increased inflammatory response. (such as certain foods)

I suggest you see a physical therapist who can evaluate the whole picture.

I apologize if my response is a bit off topic since you were asking only about shoes.

sophie1

Post by sophie1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

Burntout, if you're a woman and need shoes that are work-appropriate, try the Naot Kirei. I never found the "ideal" walking shoe, but I tried a ton of inserts including Superfeet. Orthoheel was the clear winner.

The best solution to plantar fasciitis, though, turned out to be bodyweight fitness and kettlebell training. Having failed repeatedly to keep up with gym memberships and finally realizing that traditional cardio exercises are basically worthless, I started doing home exercises based on the Reddit routine and videos from Fitness Blender. To my surprise, the plantar fasciitis resolved within a few weeks of starting this - after having plagued me for years. So did a lot of other nagging aches and pains. The key is to focus on strength and flexibility training NOT cardio, as the latter only aggravates foot problems. And do the exercises barefoot.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:52 am

Really depends from person to person. Your PF could be from flat feet or high arches or something else. It is a very frustrating trial and error process. Best thing to do is go to a bunch of shoe stores and try a bunch until you find one you like, or also consider custom insoles.

JDot

Post by JDot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 am

sophie1 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am
Burntout, if you're a woman and need shoes that are work-appropriate, try the Naot Kirei. I never found the "ideal" walking shoe, but I tried a ton of inserts including Superfeet. Orthoheel was the clear winner.

The best solution to plantar fasciitis, though, turned out to be bodyweight fitness and kettlebell training. Having failed repeatedly to keep up with gym memberships and finally realizing that traditional cardio exercises are basically worthless, I started doing home exercises based on the Reddit routine and videos from Fitness Blender. To my surprise, the plantar fasciitis resolved within a few weeks of starting this - after having plagued me for years. So did a lot of other nagging aches and pains. The key is to focus on strength and flexibility training NOT cardio, as the latter only aggravates foot problems. And do the exercises barefoot.
I agree. I never want to encourage people to do too much and harm themselves. However, in my experience, in the vast majority of sprains/strains, inflammation type problems, etc. stopping and/or restricting motion completely hardly ever leads to a truly satisfactory outcome. But again, it's hard to make this call from my keyboard. :)

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 am

I suspect my episode of plantar faciatis was caused by shoes a bit too wide. My usual size Merrel shoes, and a few months of stretching exercises, fixed the problem.

GS

Post by GS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am

Brooks Addiction Walker for walking shoes and Superfeet insoles for other shoes. Cured my problem.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:10 am

I did not buy special shoes. I used these gel heel pads and put them in the shoes I already had.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013 ... =UTF8&th=1

I remember when my plantar fasciitis came on it took me a month or more to realize what it was, at which point I stopped using the new exercise equipment that was causing the problem. If I had recognized I had a developing episode of plantar fasciitis I might have been able to avoid a full blown episode by quitting the new equipment earlier.

I could provide some comments on how I addressed the rehab process, but we are not supposed to give medical advice on this forum.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

Another endorsement for Superfeet insoles. If you have low arches (fairly likely if you have PF) they have a relatively newer version called "Carbon" that I find well worth the slight extra cost.

Also, lay off any stair-stepper machines, hiking up very steep inclines, etc. for a while. A big part of my "cure" was moving out of a house on a very steep hill that I would hike up every morning. There are also stretches recommended for this condition, you could try those too.
Semper Augustus

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 am

For hiking, walking, I love my Limmer boots: http://www.limmerboot.com/ . I had PF in the past which took several months to go away, my Limmers help prevent it from coming back.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

queso

Post by queso » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 am

Crocs were the most comfortable thing I wore when I had PF. I tried almost everything from exercises to podiatrist treatments and custom insoles as well as OTC insoles (Superfeet), but I couldn't shake it until I started sleeping in a Strassburg Sock. Unfortunately, you have to experiment a lot and take the issue into your own hands and just try everything you see recommended by other sufferers until you find what works for you. The sock was my miracle, but I have read reports from people that say it didn't help at all so I think the post upthread about it being different for each person is likely why the various remedies have varying success rates with different people.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Bought some of these from a podiatrist office

https://www.powersteps.com

Key is they have to give good arch support and also be fairly hard. He said you don’t want soft arch support. I put these in running style shoes.

For sandals and causal dress/ work shoes I use Vionics shoes.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm

I have pf, you need to stretch the calf, every day.

Todasi

Post by Todasi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 pm

So I had chronic PF for 9 years, I started running on cheap old tennis shoes and my body wasn't ready to go from couch to 2 miles. I've bought all the inserts (like Powerstep), but eventually had to get custom inserts. PF can come from all kinds of problems both mechanically (foot architecture and from activity). I went to 3 Dr's, physical therapy, countless shoes and inserts. I ended up with a PF release and calf muscle release and have been pain free since May. My Plantar Facia was 400% thicker than the average person's due to all the micro-scaring and the Dr. could easily see it on x-rays. It has been a pain-every-day issue for me for 9 years!

My advice, Rest! Stretch! Ice! with onset and especially use Motrin (helps with inflammation) get an over the counter orthotic.

If you've had it for a while (over 3 months) see a podiatrist, try cortisone shots, get a custom orthotic, try physical therapy.

Just don't ignore it, as when it sets in, it can be with you for a while. I have not personally found a pair of shoes that help me (very high arches).

Wish you the best.

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Stretching my feet and legs several times a day and wearing Skechers Go Walk 4 saved me when I was fighting PF for 3 years. I didn't know shoes could be so cushy!

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/14 ... teract/bbk

You might be able to get a discount if you buy them through your physical therapist.

Good luck!

AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:32 pm

GS wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am
Brooks Addiction Walker for walking shoes and Superfeet insoles for other shoes. Cured my problem.
+1

Custom orthotics in Brooks Addiction Walkers. You might want to read the hundreds of reviews of this shoe on Zappos.com.

Ultimately, though, only ultrasound treatment was able to cure my plantar fasciitis.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

I went through plantar fasciitis five years ago. I have a high arch, so the Power Steps inserts fit me the best. Super Feat is a high quality brand, but I do not believe they have an insole for ultra high arches for me.

The problem with shoes, is that with the inserts going in, then the foot is squished with the top of the shoe. New Balance shoes tend to have high foot cavities. I wear New Balance shoes now.

What helped was icing the plantar as much as I could. I would take an ice pack to work.

Just Google Power Steps, and you will get different companies that show up. Just sign up for the emails, and you will get discount coupons galore. I like https://www.orthoticshop.com/ out of Michigan. You can buy one pair and still get free shipping. I am always gettingdiscount coupons for 10 - 10% off from them.

Try the PowerSteps Pinnacle first.

Go to a local running store, and they often can do a mold of your foot for a custom one for about $70.

I wasted $500 on custom pair from a podiatrist that never did fit well.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Michread

Post by Michread » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 pm

+2 Superfeet inserts from Amazon worked for me! I use blue for my almost flat feet.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Hillview wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am
Also suggesting you find a shoe to wear INSIDE if you go barefoot. I wore flipflops from Vionics when I had PF.
+1
This is absolutely correct. I've worn cushioning footwear inside and out with no recurrence. For indoors, Adidas Superstars work well as will anything that cushions. For outdoors, a good pair of boots is very helpful. Magnum boots worked incredibly well for me about 15 years ago, but then when I tried to buy them again the lasts had changed and for me they were no longer comfortable when I tried them on. A friend's brother who works on his feet indoors and out in Alaska suggested boots to me for plantar fasciitis and it really worked for me. I wear Reebok DMX MAX walking shoes and they are very cushioning and available in a variety of wide-to-very-wide sizes.

Hope this is helpful!

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm

I wear New Balance shoes with an off the rack insert that has good arch support and a heel cup. I bought them at a shop in California called Lucky Feet. And I wear Oefos flip flops indoors. I found them more comfortable on my feet than Vionic flip flops.
Last edited by Gnirk on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:13 pm

never go barefoot with pf, i made that mistake years ago. stretch, stretch stretch.

burntout

Post by burntout » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Thank you everyone!!!
Custom orthotics helped me finally after years of PF. Finding the right shoes have with space in the toe box and good cushioning has been the big challenge.

Superfeet arches always feel like the are too far back toward my heel, anyone else experience this?

+1 on Vionic flip flops, love 'em

Thanks again!!

22oregon22

Post by 22oregon22 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Vivobarefoot is the only way to go. Plantar Fasciitis is a condition most likely caused by weak hip muscles (glute med, glute max) tight hip flexors/rec fem, and poor intrinsic foot strength. Do NOT get an orthotic. Orthotics are a money grab that turn off all the muscles in your feet and further atrophy these muscles that are built over millions of years of evolution to be your arch support. If you have to pick a shoes, vivobarefoot is it.

Source: I have a Doctorate in PT

Hidjet

Post by Hidjet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 am

Another Superfeet supporter here. I also recommend stretching the calf, but also the reverse of that move is to stretch what is essentially your shin. I haven't had plantar pain for a few years and I still continue those stretches every morning before putting on my shoes/boots.

The right combination of things may take some time to ease the pain, but it was worth the investment for me!

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Shoes from Altra

Big toe box and a zero drop design (heel sits level with toes). I suffered from PF in both feet for years and about 3 years ago i bought my first pair. It's all I wear now.

https://www.altrarunning.com/

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 pm

My suggestion is to be barefoot as much as possible and wear the most minimal shoes you can find. Wide toe box is part of it as well.

Feet need to be feet.

ramsfan

Post by ramsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:21 pm

nativenewenglander wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 am
I had this condition 10 years ago. I drove to a family owned running shoe store a few towns away. The owner spent 45 minutes with me, he suggest a pair of Hoka running shoes. They weren't cheap $145, but it did over time completely cure me. My wife has this every few years and wears shoe inserts, but still can't beat it. She's been to several foot doctors. Basically they told her don't run and you'll be fine, hasn't had it since she stopped running.
+1 for Hoka

I had moderate PF for all my adult life. I went to a good running shoe store and was properly fitted into Hoka Running shoes (which feel great for hiking and walking as well). More important for me is that I also bought Hoka Recovery slides. I actually believe wearing these around the house (as opposed to going barefoot, or wearing socks or cheap flip flops) is what really helped me heal up. The recovery slides don't look great, but they are convenient and slip on and off easily. I also purchase a pair of the Ora recovery Flips, they look a lot better, so I can even wear those out and about in the summer.

One thing I advocate for is professional fitting, at least for your first pair. My shoes are size 11, the slides and flips are size 10, and everything fits just right.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm

I.m wearing Hoka's now they are like walking on a cloud. I'm glad to hear they worked for you also.

Litfury

Post by Litfury » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 pm

As someone with chronic feet problems. Surgeries and running injuries etc... I can assure you with 100% confidence you will not find a better shoe than HOKA. I went through new balance, asic, brooks, everything. No brand made near the difference that HOKA has. Everyone I've encouraged to buy them falls in love with them.

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 am

A few months after I started wearing Crocs Bistro clogs and Superfeet inserts (green, blue and 1/2 length black heel cup for flats) for all other shoes, I had no more pain when walking barefooted (my PF pain was only in the heel). When I was in between walking shoes, I wore the Crocs on my walks (~30 minutes-90 minutes depending on the day) and they were surprisingly comfortable.

Michread

Post by Michread » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:37 am

burntout wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Superfeet arches always feel like the are too far back toward my heel, anyone else experience this?

Thanks again!!
Than you have the wrong size of Superfeet! Buy the larger size than suggested for your size and cut to size for correct fit (esp. if your size is on the higher end of the Superfeet shoe size). I learned this by reading the reviews on Amazon.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 am

Berkies :mrgreen: :oops:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

chabil

Post by chabil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:28 pm

22oregon22 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm
Vivobarefoot is the only way to go. Plantar Fasciitis is a condition most likely caused by weak hip muscles (glute med, glute max) tight hip flexors/rec fem, and poor intrinsic foot strength. Do NOT get an orthotic. Orthotics are a money grab that turn off all the muscles in your feet and further atrophy these muscles that are built over millions of years of evolution to be your arch support. If you have to pick a shoes, vivobarefoot is it.

Can you suggest exercises that will strengthen these areas or provide links? Sorry if this is off-topic.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm not a medical person, so I'm not suggesting, just reporting on one set of exercises that's been studied:

http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/impro ... -or-shoes/

Flipflops made my problem much worse, because of the percussive effect against the heel. Stretching also made mine worse. With the strengthening exercises and, more importantly, the very ugly Foot Log, I haven't had more than momentary discomfort for two years.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:08 pm

chabil wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:28 pm
22oregon22 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Can you suggest exercises that will strengthen these areas or provide links? Sorry if this is off-topic.
I've never had PF, but I found intrinsic foot muscle exercises useful for helping get the front of the foot badk in shape after an injury. I found the exercises by going to YouTube and entering "intrinsic foot muscles" or something similar. Much of the work involves moving the toes, which in turn exercises other muscles of the foot.

The following video looks familiar. I didn't review the whole thing since it's 15 minutes, but I believe it's one of the ones I used.

Intrinsic Foot Strengthening by Dr. Spina

There are also websites that give one-pagers on these exercises. The individual exercises generally don't have consistent names except for "towel scrunching". That's the one where you lay out a towel on the floor and move the towel towards you by scrunching your toes. It can be done while sitting on a chair or, the way I do it, sitting on the floor.

The other most common exercise -- done seated or standing -- is to raise the big toe (while keeping the other toes planted), then tap the toe on the ground. Then raise the other four toes (while keeping the big toe planted) and tap the toes on the ground.

The cool thing about intrinsic foot exercises is that they can be done just about anywhere and anytime as long as you're barefoot. For people like myself who already have a full-body workout and wasn't eager to add more exercises, the foot exercises proved practical and unburdensome, and got fast results. I still do them for maintenance since they're fun, easy and a good prevention against further problems.

second-guesser

Post by second-guesser » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

I strongly agree with the posters who say stretching is the key for
treatment of plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is the heal pain which
is caused when one strains the ligament that supports the arch.
The best and easiest exercise is the standing calf stretch.

Place your hands on a wall. Putting your weight on one leg extend the
other leg behind your body keeping both heels on the floor. Lean forward, bending the
front leg until you feel a gentle stretch in the calf of the rear leg. Reverse legs and repeat.
(in other word stretch your calves)

I am a believer in comfortable shoes and inserts as well.
I paid $500 dollars for orthodics but the stretching is what really helped.
It took a a week or two before maximum results.

I mentioned calf stretches to a friend's niece who had platar fasciitis and she
reported calf stretches were quite beneficial for her as well.
I do calf stetches after my daily walks to hopefully prevent further episodes
of plantar faciitis. It only take a couple of minutes. With the acute exacerbation
I did calf streches several times a day.
S-G

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 am

Another fan of Superfeet here. I never wear shoes without them anymore.

OAG

Post by OAG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:37 pm

I have been comfortable with SAS brand. San Antonia Shoes. Not cheap but I wear the all of the time (when not sleeping). Have one pair I wear in the house and one for walking outside. I am 77 yo FWIW.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.