Anyone Cruise around South America?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

Anyone Cruise around South America?

Post by mbres60 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:56 pm

We are booked on a Princess cruise around SA starting next Feb 2. I know you can never predict the weather but I am concerned about the ship rocking and rolling to the point of getting seasick. I hear the seas can be rough/and or very windy. I also hear it can be nice weather. What have you experienced?

sco

Re: Anyone Cruise around South America?

Post by sco » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 am

Checkout Cruise Critic, if it is going to happen you will likely get sick the first few days. Take the pills and enjoy yourself. You will get yourself upright shortly...

Try no to overdue the Booze and/or Caffeine, and really watch it on rough sea days.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 am

Have done it twice. Hard to predict storms but they usually don't last that long. I don't recall many people getting terribly sick, especially those that take precautions based on their personal history. You will have your "sea legs" after a few days and you'll adjust to the rocking most likely. The captains give you plenty of warning usually that the waves may become restless, the crew then bring out the green apples and crackers and gladly offer assistance to anyone needing a hand in the dining rooms etc., even suggesting room service if you are really unsteady. Hang on to the rails and you will be fine. Only time we've ever had to almost crawl on the floor was traveling thru the Drake Passage on the way to Antarctica.

Hope the trip includes a sail up the Amazon to Manaus. Incredible experience.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 am

I did about 15 years ago in January. It wasn't rocky at all, but this obviously varies with the weather. It was a nice cruise. Just be prepared weather wise. When we started in Buenos Aires it was in the 80s. When we finished in Chile, it was in the 80s. Around Cape Horn it was in the 40s.

The newer ships also have much better stabilizers than older cruise ships had.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Thank you! I read cruise critic all the time. I am signed up on the roll call there and quite a few have done this 2 times already! No we are not going through the Amazon. I certainly hope we don't have to crawl on the floor ;) The ship is one of their newest ships, Royal Princess, so it does have better stabilizers. I have been on her a few times before.

Mostly I don't need anything for seasickness but if it is expected to be rough I take meclizine. Right now I have mal de disembakment. Not fun as it has been a few months. Doctor said it could take 6 months. Something on internet said up to a year. It is either something in the ear or the brain not resetting for land legs. I did take a 10 day cruise a month after I got it and was fine while on the ship :happy

Anyways... thanks about your trips. I have never been on a really bad rocking and rolling ship and can't imagine it but I know it happens. I also know that going around the horn can be extremely windy and choppy seas. That is what I'm afraid of. I have heard it can also be calm. That is what I pray for ;)

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Why do you want cruise around South America? To avoid doing *exactly* that lots of people went through humongous effort to create the Panama Canal :-)

By the way, we had fabulous time in Panama couple weeks ago. It is marvel of engineering and the story behind it is very riveting.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:13 pm
Why do you want cruise around South America? To avoid doing *exactly* that lots of people went through humongous effort to create the Panama Canal :-)

By the way, we had fabulous time in Panama couple weeks ago. It is marvel of engineering and the story behind it is very riveting.
Unlikely you will see penguins, glaciers, etc. in Panama....

I also loved The Falkland Islands, but not all ships go there. Not to mention Buenos Aires and Santiago Chile.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm

We have a San Juan to (up the Amazon) Manasus Brazil trip and back booked for the coming December. Should be culturally interesting.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 pm

wrongfunds wrote:

Already did the the full Panama Canal. It was a wonderful cruise.
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

I also loved The Falkland Islands, but not all ships go there. Not to mention Buenos Aires and Santiago Chile.
What is a must see in Santiago?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

Already did the the full Panama Canal. It was a wonderful cruise.
michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:19 pm
wrongfunds wrote:

What is a must see in Santiago?
It's a pretty big city, so it is kind of like asking what is the must see in NYC. I enjoyed the wineries outside the city.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm

midareff wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm
We have a San Juan to (up the Amazon) Manasus Brazil trip and back booked for the coming December. Should be culturally interesting.
Watch out for river pirates.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/worl ... orest.html

crswvc

Post by crswvc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 am

mbres60 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:56 pm
We are booked on a Princess cruise around SA starting next Feb 2. I know you can never predict the weather but I am concerned about the ship rocking and rolling to the point of getting seasick. I hear the seas can be rough/and or very windy. I also hear it can be nice weather. What have you experienced?
Hey! I am already booked on a cruise for that very day on the the same ship. So we will be shipmates! :sharebeer
Are you staying aboard all the way to California? Too long for me so I will abandon the ship in Buenos Aires to head back to work :(

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 am

crswvc wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 am
mbres60 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:56 pm
Hey! I am already booked on a cruise for that very day on the the same ship. So we will be shipmates! :sharebeer
Are you staying aboard all the way to California? Too long for me so I will abandon the ship in Buenos Aires to head back to work :(
Hi shipmate! So you are doing the 19 day cruise. Another time you will have to do the around the horn part. We are retired so we are doing the whole thing! Too long? I say yes but my dh says no ;) Also like the idea of only flying to FLL and then home from LAX.

If you are not already on the roll call on cruise critic... join in. It is for the whole cruise but some people are doing it like you where they only do part of the cruise.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm
midareff wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm
Watch out for river pirates.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/worl ... orest.html
Thanks for the heads up.

Trav

Post by Trav » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 pm

The waters around the Cape can be rough, but my understanding is that the larger cruise ships handle it quite well. I have not taken any cruises, I have been on the water in the Galapagos, Peruvian and Venezuelan islands. I live and work in Venezuela and travel South America when I can. I plan to do Chile-Bolivia-Paraguay this summer and did Ecuador-Peru last summer. Enjoy South America! There is so much to see and do.