What age is too old to stop hostelling?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

What age is too old to stop hostelling?

Post by Caduceus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Anyone in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and above still do hostelling instead of staying in hotels? Can you request to be paired with other adults? I think I would have a more pleasant experience if I weren't put in a room with drunk teenagers :D

Any tips in this regard? I'm trying to plan out a trip, and given that my partner isn't coming along with me, I have the freedom to be more frugal.

Random Poster

Re: What age is too old to stop hostelling?

Post by Random Poster » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

In New Zealand, I routinely saw people in their 60s staying in hostels and no one seemed to be the slightest bit fazed about it.

Hostels in Australia tended to be populated only by those below the age of 28 or so, but the hostels in Australia tended to attract that sort of crowd, as they were often closer to bars than beaches and all. [ETA: except in Canberra, where the hostel I stayed didn't seem to have anyone below the age of 28 in it---it was almost exclusively used by middle-age people.]

Either way, I suspect the main demographic of the hostel is going to be largely dependent on its location and price.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Tokyo hosteling, March 28-April 01.
Me 68, Sister 72.

followed by 5 day organized tour.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Sharing a room with strangers was *never* something I was interested in. Hostels were useful only when I was too poor to get my own room.

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:28 pm

You are too old to be hostelling when you can no longer stand being around drunk teenagers :D

That might be 25 or 95. For me it was 25, I like to have fun but I like to have a sanctuary.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm

I am staying in hostels when it's an optimal option and I don't foresee the age when it would become inappropriate. However, some medical conditions may make it difficult, and these conditions may happen at any age.

Most recently, I stayed at a hostel in Barcelona. It was across a street from my conference hotel and it was cheaper even as I was paying for a private double room. Most importantly, I wanted access to the hostel kitchen with a refrigerator, stove, and dishes, which enabled me to buy my own food.

When I was walking el Camino de Santiago, I was staying in albergues every night for six weeks at a time, with anywhere from 4 to 60 people per room. Some people walk the Camino into their 90s and stay in dorm rooms like everyone else.

My general approach to hostels is either to ask for a private room, if it's reasonably priced, or to get as large room as possible. The latter is not intuitive. But from staying in numerous hostels, I've learned that when you have a small number of people in a room, you are more likely to have cliques and primadonnas. When you have more people, the community policing causes everyone to behave. For example, in the NYC HI hostel I choose rooms for 12 people rather than for 8.

After certain age, the cost of the Hosteling International membership is very low, and you get coupons for 2-3 free nights.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

caffeinefree

Post by caffeinefree » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm

My mom (61) and stepdad (70?) routinely stay in hostels when they're traveling. They usually splurge for a "private room," which is still cheaper than a hotel, but keeps them from having to share with drunk teenagers.

At 32, I personally end up staying in a mix of hostels, hotels, and AirBnBs, depending on price, location, number of people I'm traveling with, etc. Last year on trip to Europe I stayed at a 4-star Marriott on the beach in Nice (paid with points), a hostel that was walking distance from the Oktoberfest fairgrounds in Munich, and a 5-star Hyatt down the street from the Louvre in Paris (paid with points).

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm

Bogleheads:

It may be of interest to learn that in 1949 our group of hostel members chartered a propeller DC6 and flew around the world. We stayed in hostels, Salvation Army centers, or slept in the airplane.

Upon return to the USA, I had one thought: "Isn't it Great to be an American!" It was the name painted on the side of every Miami Laundry truck (my Dad was manager) and became the name of my boat.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:41 pm

I don't think drunk teenagers are an issue. Most hostels have rules of conduct, and if someone blatantly violates them the hostel takes care of it. Minor violations, such as talking at night or using flashlights at 5am, are as common among adults as among teenagers. And when you ask to stop an inappropriate behavior, teenagers comply much more readily than adults.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm

I’ll always use hostels / Airbnb

You can get private rooms for a fraction of what hotels cost ... and if you spend a lot of time in the room, your traveling wrong anyway

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

At 40, can only imagine using a hotel on a hiking holiday.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm
Bogleheads:

It may be of interest to learn that in 1949 our group of hostel members chartered a propeller DC6 and flew around the world. We stayed in hostels, Salvation Army centers, or slept in the airplane.

Upon return to the USA, I had one thought: "Isn't it Great to be an American!" It was the name painted on the side of every Miami Laundry truck (my Dad was manager) and became the name of my boat.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,
I wonder, do you think only Americans travel the world together with camaraderie and creating bonds that last a lifetime? Or, are your two sentiments disconnected.

Speaking only from personal experience, some of my closest travel friends have been from foreign countries.

~triceratop
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm

triceratop wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:19 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm
Bogleheads:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,
I wonder, do you think only Americans travel the world together with camaraderie and creating bonds that last a lifetime? Or, are your two sentiments disconnected.

Speaking only from personal experience, some of my closest travel friends have been from foreign countries.

~triceratop
In 1949, being an American had a special meaning. The Americans have just liberated the world from the Nazism and resurrected Europe with the Marshall Plan. The Soviet Union was closed at that time, but inside the U.S.S.R., people had the warmest thoughts about America and the Americans. To the end of her life, my grandmother was nostalgically speaking about canned meat delivered in American food drops.

Not only the Americans were highly regarded, but in 1949, hardly anyone else had resources to travel.

Victoria

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Victoria, very interesting. Thank you for the perspective.

I should add that I met many such friends while hostelling. Of course, I can only speak from the experience of being in one's early 20s ;)
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 pm

What age? I have no plans to stop using hostels, albergues, xuntas, convents or monasteries. Two of the worst places I stayed in Spain were designated hotels [not hostels] when I was looking for some privacy. In one of the places I stayed we had 128 caminantes in the same room, with no issues. Never had any issues with teenagers, to the contrary, I enjoyed their company and I had a lot of fun leaving them behind on the trail. Retirement life is great, muchas gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 pm

It's more of an issue of choosing the right hostel. There are hostels that cater to the young, partying type but there also hostels that are more geared towards families. Generally, the further the hostel is away from the centre of the party the less of a party hostel it is. Online reviews should also be able to help one sort this out. Furthermore, as has been mentioned, private rooms are often available. I wouldn't necessarily disregard hostels because they can be quite good for getting the up to date word on the street from fellow travelers. This is often better than information provided by locals or expats who often have difficulty seeing past their own biases. Expats and locals, however, are generally great for logistical information and, of course, for sharing their own personal worlds with you.

edited for clarity

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 pm

I last used hostels in Europe when I was 47, but only during the offseason and in smaller cities. I usually had a room all to myself and could use the kitchen and everything else without fuss. I have experienced the 'drunk teenager', but they haven't acted badly, they just come in the room at 2 am. A more likely disturbance is a fellow traveler leaving at 4 am to catch a flight and it's harder to get back to sleep when that happens.

Anytime I've been bothered (which is rare), I've told them to be quiet and they complied (no one is out to wake their neighbor, drunk or not, but they are sometimes still amped up from the night's frivolities- been there, done that!). Most importantly, whether disturbed or not, I've met some fantastic people in hostels and will continue to use them judiciously because the experience is so much fun.

PS - Nobody can say that staying here isn't more fun than a hotel (http://www.basecamp-bonn.com/). You get to sleep in a camper inside an old warehouse building!
Powered by chocolate!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Taylor,

~triceratop
troceratop:

I strongly believe that our beliefs (if any) are all the same at birth. Unfortunately, many of us are taught to believe that we are superior by our family, friends and the media (if I had been born and raised in Russia I would almost certainly be a communist).

This is my favorite poem by Max Ehrmann"
Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy
Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 pm

We visited Ireland when my son was 17 and stayed in hostels in part so that he might meet some younger people(but not the drunk teenagers) but it did not work out that way.

I think it was in late May or very early June and there were virtually no teenagers in the hostels because the local schools and colleges had not let out yet. We were in our 50's then and we were some of the youngest people in the Hostels.

One guy we met was in his late 80's and he was born in Ireland but had left it as a child and that was the first time he had returned to Ireland. He was "chatty" and I suspect that he could have afforded a better hotel but since he was traveling alone he probably wanted the company of the other people in the hostel. Part of me wants to be like that guy and still be traveling and staying in hostels when I am 80. :D

The hostles do vary a lot. Reading the reviews of them will help you avoid most of the problems and if you travel while school is in session that will also help, and some hostels may be almost empty then. Be sure to check when the local school holidays are.

At least in Ireland the rural and smaller town hostels were a lot better. Some of the urban hostels attracted immigrants and transient people, but by reading the reviews we were easily able to avoid those.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Taylor,
Thank you for the delightful poem. I had never read it before and greatly appreciate your sharing it with me.

Best wishes,

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and above still do hostelling instead of staying in hotels? Can you request to be paired with other adults? I think I would have a more pleasant experience if I weren't put in a room with drunk teenagers :D

Any tips in this regard? I'm trying to plan out a trip, and given that my partner isn't coming along with me, I have the freedom to be more frugal.
I haven't stayed in a hostel in years - I don't like sharing a room with strangers. Where are you traveling? In Europe there are frugal choices that don't involve staying in hostel in a shared room. There are a lot of small hotels/B&Bs and some even have small single rooms with a twin bed. I stayed at a tiny place in a village near Gatwick the night before a flight. The proprietor was quite amusing - he emailed me to make sure that I realized what a single room really meant when he saw that I was "from over the pond". (I guess he had gotten complaints from people expecting a standard Holiday Inn sized room). The room was about the size of a regular cabin on a cruise ship. I was more than adequate for a single night and they picked me up and dropped me off at the airport.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm

I was going to ask if something called "Elderhostel" still existed. Then I just Googled it myself, and was surprised to find it wasn't Elderhostel but something called Road Scholar. Now catering to Baby Boomers and less hostel-like, I guess.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm 39 and really enjoy hostelling. I think my favorite so far has been Kex hostel in Reykjavik (it has the best restaurant I've ever seen in a hostel, though the restaurant itself is not cheap), and perhaps my least favorite was one in the red light district in Amsterdam, the name of which I forget.

I have yet to find a way to set an age limit on rooms, but in my experience there are sort of two good options: (1) a private room, or (2) the largest room you can find. Obviously the former is better, though plenty of hostels don't offer them or they're not available. As to the latter, the very large rooms (say, 12-15 people) to me are better for sleeping than, say, an 8- or 4-person room, for several reasons. First, there is a sort of safety in numbers where you're not totally focused on the three or four people right around you. Second, people are "in it together" in those rooms, and they tend to be careful with noise. Third, there is more room to move if someone comes in late at night, and the noise diffuses a bit to where your body gets used to it. Some of the worst nights I've had in hostels were in 8-person rooms where one person comes in drunk at 3 a.m. and you all become instantly aware of it, or one person snores and it's just kind of echoing all around you in fairly tight quarters.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm

We have used hostels if a private room is available. Otherwise, no.
Don't like people snoring, coming and going odd hours.
I am a truly frugal person, but at this point in my life I can afford to not go to a hostel. So it is not an age related thing.
I guess this is my non frugal thing.
I like hostels for all the tourist info they have and have used them for some excursions. I may pop in one if I happen to pass by for that info.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:27 pm

I have not recently stayed in one,and am going upscale for a coming holiday. But will be staying in one next year I expect . 62

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm

There are a lot of cheap hotels in Europe. There is no need to stay in hostels unless you want to.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm
I was going to ask if something called "Elderhostel" still existed. Then I just Googled it myself, and was surprised to find it wasn't Elderhostel but something called Road Scholar. Now catering to Baby Boomers and less hostel-like, I guess.

No, not hostel-like. I’m booked on a RS program to see the tulips in Netherlands. It’s a riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Brussels on a new riverboat owned by Crystal Cruise Line.

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm

99 is ok. 100, no.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 pm

There is no age restriction from me. I stayed in hostels in Europe in my 20's. I also reserved sleeping trains with my eurail pass to save on hostel fees. The reservation cost is variable depending on the train. I loved waking up in the morning to a brand new country or city I've never been to. I stayed on the move and even went to a city I've already been to because the hostel for the night exceeded the cost of the reservation.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm

I've done it into my 30s, a long time ago. The drunks weren't the problem, it was the snorers. And decades later I still recall one guy with unbelievably smelly socks, NZ I think. The drunks were in US gov't (national and state) campgrounds, relentlessly, unbearably, across the entire country. All ages.

BTW, I'd guess most people I saw in hostels were in their 20s, not teenagers. Young, but decidedly adults.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm
Me 68, Sister 72.

sister wanted to be in a private room. So I got us a private twin room. Don't want to irritate older sister. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm
There are a lot of cheap hotels in Europe. There is no need to stay in hostels unless you want to.
How do you find the cheap but good quality hotels in Europe? Not thru expedia.com, hotels.com etc.
Any pointers?

Boglesmind

peseta

Post by peseta » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm

I did the hostel thing in my early 20s without issue. But as I got a bit older, I began to value privacy and comfort more. The last time I stayed in a hostel was when I was 30 and decided, never again. I’d rather stay in a Motel 6 than a hostel. I know others disagree!

With the value you can get from Pricelining hotels, and using cost-conscious chains like Microtel, Yotel, Ibis, Formule 1, Tune, and the like, the price delta between a hostel and a hotel room has narrowed significantly in the past decade. There’s AirBNB too, of course (that’s also not my thing). Upshot, it’s become more of a lifestyle/preference decision than a financial one.

peseta

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 pm

I hosteled in the UK for several weeks on a road trip with some friends many years ago when we were all in our twenties. Those memories meld together in a seamless flow of some of the most wonderful experiences of my life. There was one exception though.

We were asleep in a dorm-style hostel near Aberdeen if I recall, when suddenly we were awakened by rattling metal and shouting. An elderly guest had grabbed hold of a bunk bed frame and shook it vigorously demanding that the sleeper stop snoring. Up until then we had been asleep and not disturbed at all by snoring. It made me think of how important a good night’s sleep is at any age.

effillus

Post by effillus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Stayed at a hostel in Moab, Utah, last fall at age 62, though in a private room/shared bath. Enjoyed it and would do it again. Not a single problem.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm

This is a productive way of asking people how old they are.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

AirBnB and VRBO have some very affordable single rooms with shared bathrooms/kitchens. Probably not much more expensive than a hostel.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

boglesmind wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
How do you find the cheap but good quality hotels in Europe? Not thru expedia.com, hotels.com etc.
Any pointers?

Boglesmind
I looked through AAA and booking.com. I sort by price first. Also some of the hotels I’ve booked a few months back, they are no longer available at that price. So it pays to book early. I also booked non-cancellation, so if better price comes along, I jump to the cheap price hotels. Some UK websites have very cheap hotel prices too. I don’t remember which one, but I got 3 nights in Paris for 22 EURO.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 pm

No one has mentioned it so it may not be a problem but I would imagine petty theft being a potential problem in a room with a bunch of strangers. I guess during the day you wouldn’t leave anything of real value in the room. Depending on how light you travel this may or may be an issue.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 pm

It seems like in the U.S. we think of hostels as an exclusively youth thing, but in Germany (which has a strong tradition and network of hostels) it's very much accommodation for all groups, including families. German hostels are spotlessly clean and a great way to travel the country on a budget.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Do you leave a gratuity? :?:

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 pm

There's a double negative in there somewhere. Do you mean "what age is to old to continue hostelling"?

As I recall some youth hostels associations used to have a rule that the over 30s and people traveling by car would be bumped if a hostel was oversubscribed. Don't know if they still do. It was rarely an issue except on the busiest of holidays.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:08 am

itstoomuch wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm
Me 68, Sister 72.

May our paths cross! Wife and I will be taking her mother to Japan for her first visit (wife has been 8 or so times, me nearly 30 - we love the place). Will be in Tokyo the same days as you before heading down to Osaka for the Nara, Osaka, Kyoto triangle. Looks like we will be hitting peak cherry blossoms. Should be better than out previous cherry blossom trip.

For hostels, we are in our late 40s, MIL in her early 70s. I personally would have no issue with a hostel, but my wife figures any age is too old for a hostel. Not her cup of tea. It is hotels or BnBs always.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 pm
It seems like in the U.S. we think of hostels as an exclusively youth thing, but in Germany (which has a strong tradition and network of hostels) it's very much accommodation for all groups, including families. German hostels are spotlessly clean and a great way to travel the country on a budget.
I vaguely recall staying in at least one Thueringen hostel (before reunification) without restrictions, but In past Bavaria was always said to have a widespread age limit of 26, the only one I ever heard of in the world.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am

We did one night in a hostel in Amsterdam. Mrs Scrapr claims I said Hotel when I brought it up. :D I can neither confirm or deny that version of the story. We are +/- 60 years of age. She is pretty adventerous and likes new & different. I'm the stick in the mud. We both liked it. But this was individual pods and not sleeping rooms. Kind of like washing machines. There were a one or two older than us. And I think the staff felt sorry for us and gave us some extra help

https://cityhub.com/

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 am

boglesmind wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Any pointers?

Boglesmind
It depends on how you define "cheap".

Southern Europe is usually a lot less expensive so to use hostels did do not make sense there. The Rick Steeves books will usually include a few budget options.

We went to Spain two years ago for three weeks in May and for the two of use we never paid more than $100 a night even in Barcelona or Madrid. We tend to not make reservations more than a few days ahead of time except for the key dates and when we will be in expensive big cities. As soon as I have the plane tickets I will periodically check for great deals on places like expedia and book usually refundable reservations when I find them. In addition to staying in a number of nice smaller places I also found a deal on a Hilton on sale for $85 a night, a condo near the beach in Spain, and an townhouse on a golf course. Some of these I only booked a few days ahead and got last minute deal.

One trick that I do is that when I am looking for two or three nights I will also check for one more since there will occasionally be a special for the extra night free.

When you go also matters. We stumbled into it but in the Greek Islands the hotel prices drop sharply in mid-September and the weather was still great when we were there. For example you can also get nice mid-range hotels for $50 a night on Naxos in late September.

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

Hostel experiences can vary, the front desk person can be anyone from a laid back hippy to a strict disciplinarian. I travelled Europe one summer in college and stayed at various hostels and enjoyed networking with other travelers. They are a great source of info and much more personable than hotels. When I got older in my late 20s my level resources and level of comfort increased and since I was working my overseas trips are 2 weeks vs 3 months off as a student. Even if you are not staying in one they provide good tours on trips.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:44 am
boglesmind wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Any pointers?

Boglesmind
It depends on how you define "cheap".

Southern Europe is usually a lot less expensive so to use hostels did do not make sense there. The Rick Steeves books will usually include a few budget options.

We went to Spain two years ago for three weeks in May and for the two of use we never paid more than $100 a night even in Barcelona or Madrid. We tend to not make reservations more than a few days ahead of time except for the key dates and when we will be in expensive big cities. As soon as I have the plane tickets I will periodically check for great deals on places like expedia and book usually refundable reservations when I find them. In addition to staying in a number of nice smaller places I also found a deal on a Hilton on sale for $85 a night, a condo near the beach in Spain, and an townhouse on a golf course. Some of these I only booked a few days ahead and got last minute deal.

One trick that I do is that when I am looking for two or three nights I will also check for one more since there will occasionally be a special for the extra night free.

When you go also matters. We stumbled into it but in the Greek Islands the hotel prices drop sharply in mid-September and the weather was still great when we were there. For example you can also get nice mid-range hotels for $50 a night on Naxos in late September.
Those areas are cheap. Same with Milan, Rome, Malaga, the Andulasia area, southern France, Portugal. There are hostels with bunk beds on top of each other, and there are hostels with your own bed, like your own private room. I normally avoid hostels, so I go for nice decent mid range. Some apartments are cheap too, but too basic looking for me, like a lot of IKEA furniture, so I don’t like them either.
But if want inexpensive place to stay, there are literally lots of places.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 am

Though I've never done it, my Father was doing it in his 60s in Colorado when he went skiing. He would take around 6 10 day trips to go skiing each winter and liked to save money and meet new people. He is in his 70s now and has switched to a hotel because the place he stayed closed down.

gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 am

at least in June in popular European cities.

Drunk American 22-year-olds can be challenging roommates.