Google Pixel 2 Users-Experience So Far?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
denovo

Google Pixel 2 Users-Experience So Far?

Post by denovo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:58 am

I am in the market for a new Android smartphone and I was really tempted to pounce on the offer for the Pixel 2 XL because it's selling for a deep discount through Best Buy , plus I prefer Vanilla Android with no bloatware.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pix ... Id=6099989

($18.71 x 24 months or $449) which is a $400 discount. Before I hit the buy button I casually checked the wiki page for the phone and it seems like an utter trainwreck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2#Issues

And it's not just rollout issues, but ongoing ones e.g.
Users are reporting battery drain issues after the February security update. Google is already looking for a fix.[73]

Are the problems with the Pixel 2 really widespread or are these bugs just affecting a small minority of phones. Any suggestions in the Android sphere? I am not going to be willing to spend more than around $400 unless I am convinced all the phones in that price range are dogs. I know the S8 S9 is probably great, but I am not willing to shell out that kind of money.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Tamarind

Re: Google Pixel 2 Users-Experience So Far?

Post by Tamarind » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 am

I love my Pixel 2 (not an XL).

No issues with heating or battery drain. I've followed those reports carefully and most say it resolved itself after a reset.

Biggest issue I've had is an APN issue with Cricket which periodically requires me to delete a duplicate APN in order to receive MMS.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am

Tamarind wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 am
I love my Pixel 2 (not an XL).

No issues with heating or battery drain. I've followed those reports carefully and most say it resolved itself after a reset.

Biggest issue I've had is an APN issue with Cricket which periodically requires me to delete a duplicate APN in order to receive MMS.
+1. I do not have the 2xl but the regular one. So far no issues for me. Pretty solid phone so far.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:51 am

I have a close friend with a Pixel 2 (non-XL) and he loves it. He came from a Nexus 6P which would be more equivalent in size to a XL. He says he doesn't miss the larger size. It if you search anything on the internet you find lot of problems but even so I think there are enough reports on the 2XL I would avoid it at this point personally and opt for the Pixel 2.

As an aside my son and I are Google Project Fi users so it is optimal for me to use their hardware. So far I have been disappointed in the Google hardware longevity. My son's Nexus 5x got the dreaded bootloop issue out of warranty (about 14 months old so four months out of warranty). LG (the manufacturer) to their credit fixed free of charge (including paying for all shipping). Overall I am satisfied with how that one was handled. My Nexus 6P now 18 months old by contrast is less satisfying. The Nexus 6Ps came with defective batteries. After some period of use they develop this issue whereby the phone just shuts down at 30-40-50% charge with no warning. This tends to happen more when temperatures are cooler (say outside in winter). I was recently travelling in Italy and had this happen to me for the first time. Was navigating around outside in 40 degree temperatures and at 38% it just shutdown. Thankfully I had an external power pack in my back pack so I was able to get it running again. It happened several more times on the trip. So far it is ok at room temperature acting as you'd expect (though likely this will change with more use). Google won't do anything nor will the manufacturer. I am handy and would be ok replacing the battery myself but there are NO legitimate spares available. Basically you have to buy a cheap Chinese knockoff none of which come with a real temperature sensor so if the battery overheats it won't shutdown. We know what happens to lithium batteries when that happens. My hope is to limp my 6P along until the next generation of Google phones becomes available (I love Project Fi else I wouldn't buy another Google phone until they proved they had the hardware stuff down).

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 am

Between my partner and I, we have had 5 cell phones in the last 3-4 years.

Flagship models: Samsung S7 Edge and iPhone 6s.
Midrange: Oneplus One and ZTE Axon 7.
Dirt Cheap: LG XCharge (on sale for $1 and unlockable via Xfinity Wireless when I bought it).

Each of the five has its advantages and disadvantages, but overall the differences between them are quite subtle. They all function more or less equally well with similar features.

I am sure your Pixel will as well.

lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 am

I've got a Pixel 2XL and love it. Came from a 6P with battery issues, but haven't had any with the new phone.

I stay up to date on all the updates. Favorite new feature is squeeze to get Google Assistant. I probably use that on average twice a day.

whoever

Post by whoever » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 am

I have a Pixel 2 (non XL). Love it.

car733

Post by car733 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am

Updating my device every year is my guilty pleasure, so this is what I do:

I use google fi as service provider. I travel and I enjoy having internet available everywhere I go.
Google fi has a great option for financing devices.

I got a pixel xl paying 30-40 usd per month, no interest, 2 years to fully pay. I think it's full price was 800 usd.
When pixel 2 came out, you could trade your previous phone. They gave me 395 usd for my pixel 1.
Today, I am still paying the pixel 1 (200usd left) and paying the pixel 2 price minus the discount per month, no interest.

e5116

Post by e5116 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm

I too have the Pixel 2 (non XL) and have had no issues whatsoever. Great phone. I do know the XL had some screen display issues at the beginning that the non-XL did not, but I think it was overblown in that the majority of people wouldn't care all that much. Very fast, responsive, no bloatware, unlimited photos/video storage on Google Photos (cloud) without any compression, good integration with apps, etc. I had debated the iPhone X vs. Pixel 2, but couldn't justify the $650 cost difference when my carrier was running a great deal, particularly because I was already in the Android ecosystem anyways.

The camera quality is outstanding including portrait mode on the front and back camera. It's definitely one of the best cameras out on the market (in fact, got rated the highest by Dxomark -- its composite score was higher than the iPhone X as its video score was slightly above while its still photo's score was slightly below; both are outstanding though). HDR+ and the software to optimize lighting/contrast/saturation/focus is quite amazing although sometimes Portrait mode doesn't get things perfect. (I think the iPhone's portrait mode is a bit better as its more gradual given the 2 camera lenses, whereas Pixel 2 is more severe, which some people like and some don't).

Charging is also really fast and the port is quality, but it was a bit annoying getting new cords for everything. Battery life has been pretty good and video quality is great as well.

Overall, best phone I've owned definitely and one of the best out there on the market (with Samsung and Apple being the two other large players in the top end obviously). I think at the top, it's really personal preference but they'd all offer good experiences for the vast majority of people.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

I had the Pixel 2 XL at release, but returned it after a few days. Screen had massive blue-shift with very small deflections from perpendicular and was told it wasn't a defect. If that's no longer an issue, then it seemed to be a great phone.

I wound up getting the OnePlus 5t a few months later and put the lawnchair launcher on it (gives it pixel look/feel) and am quite happy with it. Wish it was waterproof, and that the camera was a bit better, but it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Topic Author
denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

whoever wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 am
I have a Pixel 2 (non XL). Love it.
Khanmots wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm
I had the Pixel 2 XL at release, but returned it after a few days. Screen had massive blue-shift with very small deflections from perpendicular and was told it wasn't a defect. If that's no longer an issue, then it seemed to be a great phone.

Interestingly enough, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL used different manufacturers. HTC for the 2 and LG for the 2XL. Per wiki, most of the problems have been with the XL. Interestingly enough, the Pixel 2, despite having a smaller screen is more expensive at Best Buy than the XL.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

eggraid101

Post by eggraid101 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

I have had a Pixel 2 (non XL) for a few months and I like it a lot. I came from and iPhone 6, so it was a big decision to switch from apple, but I've been very happy so far. I just don't think there is a big difference in most any phones these days, I was enticed by the integration with Android, and especially google photos. I think the Google assistant is much better than Siri, too, much more helpful in my experience.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I have a pixel 2 xl and my wife has a pixel 2. We both love our phones.

Personally, I think the blue shift issue is way overstated. I can see it if I'm looking for it. It could be improved. But in everyday use I don't notice it. All phones have some color shift off angle. Some phones have it worse. I'm not sure anyone cared until this phone for some reason. I try not to look at my phone off angle all the time.

If you're particularly sensitive to the blue shift issue, maybe it is unique to each individual, then the smaller pixel 2 doesn't have the issue near as bad.

I think most of the uproar was this issue in combination with the color profile when it first came out. They made the colors on this phone very accurate and natural. It turns out most people don't like accurate colors, they like saturated colors like Samsung uses. If you go to the store, a Samsung screen initially looks better because of this. Personally, now that I'm used to it, I prefer accurate natural colors and now find vivid colors too garish. But Google made an update where users can now saturate their colors if they want.

I consider the camera the best available. Samsung hardware is probably better, but I despise Samsung software. I love having the latest version of Android.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Gadget wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 pm
I have a pixel 2 xl and my wife has a pixel 2. We both love our phones.

Personally, I think the blue shift issue is way overstated. I can see it if I'm looking for it. It could be improved. But in everyday use I don't notice it. All phones have some color shift off angle. Some phones have it worse. I'm not sure anyone cared until this phone for some reason. I try not to look at my phone off angle all the time.

If you're particularly sensitive to the blue shift issue, maybe it is unique to each individual, then the smaller pixel 2 doesn't have the issue near as bad.

I think most of the uproar was this issue in combination with the color profile when it first came out. They made the colors on this phone very accurate and natural. It turns out most people don't like accurate colors, they like saturated colors like Samsung uses. If you go to the store, a Samsung screen initially looks better because of this. Personally, now that I'm used to it, I prefer accurate natural colors and now find vivid colors too garish. But Google made an update where users can now saturate their colors if they want.

I consider the camera the best available. Samsung hardware is probably better, but I despise Samsung software. I love having the latest version of Android.
From what I read it differs per phone. Google is correct in that the shift happens as part of the tech. My current phone does it, but it's gradual and requires a decent amount of deflection and I only see it if I'm looking for it (and I have my phone set to a natural color profile).

The XL that I had, it wasn't like a hint of blue, it was a lot of blue. And the deflection to get it was bad enough that if your eyes were centered over one end of the phone, the other end was starting to turn blue. We're talking just a few degrees off of perpendicular. Everyone I showed the phone to agreed it was crazy.

Glad you got one of the good ones! :beer

pwill112

Post by pwill112 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Love it

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Went through 4 pixel 2 xls before getting a good one.

Decided to switch to the smaller one anyway as I didn't like the 18:9 screen and rounded corners. It was a bit big for me too.

Love the pixel 2 (not xl)

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Tried Google Pixel 2 XL and went back to my iPhone rather quickly. Hard to explain, but there are too many subtle shortcomings in the overall feel of Android OS. This was touted as the closest experience to iPhone on an Android device, but I found it lacking.

Also, equally important, I didn't want to live without iMessage, FaceTime for all of my relatives, AirDrop, AirPlay, AirPods, handoff, automatic hotspot for my iPad and MacBook Pro, ApplePay while browsing Safari, and other continuity features. Texting from a desktop is priceless.

My wife, less technologically inclined than me, felt that she needed a class to operate the Android and hasn't even had to ask a question about the iPhone in over 5 years.

kjvm

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:05 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Tried Google Pixel 2 XL and went back to my iPhone rather quickly. Hard to explain, but there are too many subtle shortcomings in the overall feel of Android OS. This was touted as the closest experience to iPhone on an Android device, but I found it lacking.

Also, equally important, I didn't want to live without iMessage, FaceTime for all of my relatives, AirDrop, AirPlay, AirPods, handoff, automatic hotspot for my iPad and MacBook Pro, ApplePay while browsing Safari, and other continuity features. Texting from a desktop is priceless.

My wife, less technologically inclined than me, felt that she needed a class to operate the Android and hasn't even had to ask a question about the iPhone in over 5 years.

kjvm
I suspect some of this (outside of the obvious difference in what services are available on what platform) is more about what you are used to. I have an iPhone from work and I am not a fan I much prefer my personal Android phone. I am sure if I was forced to use the iPhone heavily I would get used to it and like it, but since I am not Android remains my preference.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Pixel 2 XL here. Had it for around 1.5 months.

No problems whatsoever. Love the phone.
Funding secured

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:26 pm

If you don't mind selling your soul to Google spyware it's great! :D
But seriously it's a good competitor for Samsung.

hfj

Post by hfj » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Family of 2 adults + 2 teenagers switched wholesale from iphone 6/5S to Pixel 2's around November, mainly prompted by wife's desire to lower costs and get simplified international roaming from Project Fi, plus get a great camera in a small phone. Aside from a day or so of adjusting to the new location for the fingerprint sensor, everyone's handled the switch to Android smoothly, but we aren't that deep in the Apple ecosystem anyways. The phones themselves has been fast (especially coming from a 6), decent battery life, no issues.

JonSnow

Post by JonSnow » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:49 pm

Went from Samsung Galaxy S5 to Pixel 2. Love it. Less bloat vs. Samsung for sure in terms of pre-installed apps.

No problems so far and would get another pixel if I somehow lost it.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm

I went from a Nexus 5X -> Samsung S7 -> Essential PH1 -> Pixel 2

I loved the 5X, until it went in to the dreaded bootloop
The S7 was a nightmare. Defective out of the box restarting itself, Samsung eventually fixed it, but I never "loved" the phone. Battery life stunk.
In the interim with the S7 I did have a iPhone 7, it was very nice hardware, I just couldn't get used to the iOS environment.
I was excited about the PH1, bought it because we were switching carriers. It had touchscreen issues and would freeze up requiring a hard boot daily.
Now I have the Pixel 2 and I think I am just as satisfied as I was with the 5X, which says a lot.

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm

S9 preorder starts tomorrow....
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:41 pm

The kid has a Pixel 2 and she hates it. Much prefers her old Moto Z phone.

She's also not a fan of Google Fi and the coverage....

BirdWatcher

Post by BirdWatcher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm

I have the Pixel 2 XL, my wife the regular Pixel. We're both on Fi. Last month's bill was $31. Love it!

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Use a 2 XL on Project Fi. Fine phone, fine service so far.
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Work colleague stopped by to show off his new Pixel (regular size), seemed to like it.
- Less expensive than Apple or Samsung
- Doesn't come with carrier bloatware
- Good camera

Should be a good phone

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Note that the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2XL are completely different phones.
https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2
The Pixel 2 was made by HTC. The XL was made by LG and has suffered from blue-shift and screen burn-in.

I have been using the non-XL for a few months and really like it. I would have bought the larger XL if it did not have so many issues out of the gate. :annoyed

I miss a headphone jack -- that's my only real complaint. :sharebeer

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 pm

My wife and I both have Pixel 2's. I came from a Nexus 6P (much larger) and her an Iphone 7. We are both extremely pleased and have had no issues.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm

I have the Pixel 2 (non-XL), and it has been a good phone (owned for a few months). I came from a Nexus 5X that had the bootloop issue (owned for just over 1.5yrs) and wasnt' very happy about that.

So far, battery life, screen clarity, and responsiveness have all been fine on the Pixel 2. I would prefer apple hardware, but I really like the GoogleFI plan and features.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Wife and I both upgraded to Pixel 2. I have the 2 XL she has the smaller pixel 2.

They've been great phones so far! She was always an iPhone person but she came around to this phone. The camera is incredible. Great battery life, speedy, stable. You get new Android OS updates right away vs phones made by others like Samsung where you have to wait a long time if you ever even get the OS update at all.

I had an issue getting my Google Assistant voice match pattern recorded, I simply couldn't do it on my pixel 2 XL, always got this "Trouble with the microphone" error message. Eventually I just logged into my google account on my wife's pixel 2, recorded the voice match pattern, and logged out. Seems to have worked as it's tied to my google account, not the phone it was recorded on. Kind of amazed they haven't fixed this yet with the number of people complaining about it online.

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Upgraded to a Pixel 2 from a Samsung S6.
So far, love it. All the apps just work. No more freezing or resetting the phone like I had to on my S6.

FrugalConsultant

Post by FrugalConsultant » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Wife and I both got a Pixel 2 (non XL) last year. Recently had the power drain issue, and fixed with clear memory on Play Store app and restart. We love it.

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm

Wow, what a list of problems. Reading it was like reading a novel - because they are so unfamiliar to me. I've had my Pixel 2XL since they first became available, having traded in my Nexus 6P for one. I did have a warranty exchange after the microphone quit working, though I could still plug in a headset via the USB-C.

Therefore my comment is: random people have had problems. Your chance of having a serious problem is present, but low. Support from Google is great. I'm also a Project Fi subscriber, so it's one stop shopping.

Disclaimer: I also have positive consumer experiences with United Airlines, so I seem to be something of a freak.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Love my pixel 2. Best camera on a phone I've ever experienced

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:27 pm

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm
Disclaimer: I also have positive consumer experiences with United Airlines, so I seem to be something of a freak.
Do you have a ton of fun at the DMV, too?

Denovo, you'll probably be fine, but you'll have to manage expectations. Do you want this phone for 2-3 years? Then I'd be cautious. If you would consider an S8 from Samsung, wait a month or two when the S9 comes out the S8 price will probably be around what the Best Buy Pixel XL is. Not sure how urgent your phone need is. I am waiting until mid-2019 for the 5G compatible phones.

Pessimist55

Post by Pessimist55 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:09 am

Had pixel2 since it came out. Long time Android user. Very impressed. No probs whatsoever