What are overstock phones?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

What are overstock phones?

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

I was looking at Samsung Galaxy phones on ebay, and I selected "New" (not "New Other"), so these phones show listed as "Brand new".

When I messaged some of the sellers, they used a term "overstock". For example:

"This is new overstock phones"
"It was replaced by Samsung when I sent in a defective phone to them. It has some warranty remaining."

Does anyone here have experience with "overstock" phones? What are they?

Thanks.

bloom2708

Re: What are overstock phones?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

No easy answer.

Demo models, refurbished units, customer returns, unsold units.

The S9 is going on sale. Businesses still have S8, S7, S7 Edge, S6 S6 Edge in stock. At some point they liquidate older stock.

My question is, how old/far back do you want to venture? The S7 Edge is still a very good phone. When it stops getting updates, is that the point to consider moving up? Others like when phones stop getting updates or refuse to update as they tend to slow older devices down. New versions require more RAM/disk space and may make older phones not seem so zippy.

Flagship phones near or over $1,000 are not for the faint of heart. Especially if you like to change every 1-2 years.

An optional strategy would be to buy an unlocked Blu and drive it for 1 year. Repeat. Moto G, X phones have a lower price point. Maybe a $200 Moto every 2-3 years works.

I don't understand how setting a base price of $800 to $1,000 can work long term. That is more than a very nice laptop or tablet. It just doesn't seem sustainable as the market get saturated. $500 for a flagship seems more reasonable, but we are way past that.

I've had good luck buying on eBay at times. Just read the fine print and ask the seller questions about your specific network/carrier.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 pm
"It was replaced by Samsung when I sent in a defective phone to them. It has some warranty remaining."
Not sure about Samsung but Motorola and Google always send a manufacturer refurbished phone (never a brand new phone). If you will go that route (used or refurbished) I suggest Swappa.com instead of ebay. If you want a really brand new phone, also avoid ebay!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm
No easy answer.

The S9 is going on sale. Businesses still have S8, S7, S7 Edge, S6 S6 Edge in stock. At some point they liquidate older stock.

My question is, how old/far back do you want to venture? The S7 Edge is still a very good phone. When it stops getting updates, is that the point to consider moving up? Others like when phones stop getting updates or refuse to update as they tend to slow older devices down. New versions require more RAM/disk space and may make older phones not seem so zippy.

Flagship phones near or over $1,000 are not for the faint of heart. Especially if you like to change every 1-2 years.

An optional strategy would be to buy an unlocked Blu and drive it for 1 year. Repeat. Moto G, X phones have a lower price point. Maybe a $200 Moto every 2-3 years works.

I don't understand how setting a base price of $800 to $1,000 can work long term. That is more than a very nice laptop or tablet. It just doesn't seem sustainable as the market get saturated. $500 for a flagship seems more reasonable, but we are way past that.

I've had good luck buying on eBay at times. Just read the fine print and ask the seller questions about your specific network/carrier.
I was looking at the S7 (non Edge). It's on eBay for around $320, but I don't know how long it'll keep getting updates.
I saw the S8 at Best buy, but I didn't like it mainly because the screen is too long/big. I can't use it with one hand.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm
kayanco wrote:
Not sure about Samsung but Motorola and Google always send a manufacturer refurbished phone (never a brand new phone). If you will go that route (used or refurbished) I suggest Swappa.com instead of ebay. If you want a really brand new phone, also avoid ebay!
Really? Are you sure on this?

I was under the impression that they would send a brand new phone as replacement on a warranty claim.

Any suggestion on how to definitively get a brand new Galaxy S7 phone? I thought the way would be to select "New" on ebay (as opposed to "New other"), but sounds like that's no guarantee.

Thank you.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:54 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
kayanco wrote:

I was under the impression that they would send a brand new phone as replacement on a warranty claim.

Any suggestion on how to definitively get a brand new Galaxy S7 phone? I thought the way would be to select "New" on ebay (as opposed to "New other"), but sounds like that's no guarantee.

Thank you.
Don't know about Motorola but Google often replaces phones under warranty with refurbs.

https://support.google.com/store/troubl ... %2C7168941

EXCLUSIVE REMEDY: If a defect arises and you return your Phone during the Limited Warranty period (which is one year for new devices and ninety days for refurbished devices), Google will in its sole discretion and to the extent permitted by law either repair your Phone using new or refurbished parts, replace your Phone with a new or refurbished Phone functionally at least equivalent to yours, or accept the return of the Phone in exchange for a refund of the purchase price you paid for the Phone.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm
I was looking at the S7 (non Edge). It's on eBay for around $320, but I don't know how long it'll keep getting updates.
I saw the S8 at Best buy, but I didn't like it mainly because the screen is too long/big. I can't use it with one hand.
$320 seems high for a regular S7. I don't know your carrier, but on Swappa, a "good" or "very good" would be around $200 to $250.

That would be my worry as well. That phone is already heading towards being 2 years old.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4

The Moto X 4 is new and is $299. Better specs. Turbo fast charging.

If you don't care about fancy stuff, the G family would have an option at different price points:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g-family

If you settle on one, check B&H photo, Costco, Amazon, etc for price comparisons. I really want an X 4, but my G 4 still works just fine.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm
kayanco wrote:
$320 seems high for a regular S7. I don't know your carrier, but on Swappa, a "good" or "very good" would be around $200 to $250.

That would be my worry as well. That phone is already heading towards being 2 years old.

If you don't care about fancy stuff, the G family would have an option at different price points:

If you settle on one, check B&H photo, Costco, Amazon, etc for price comparisons. I really want an X 4, but my G 4 still works just fine.
These Motorola phones look very interesting. And the price point is very affordable as well. I wasn't aware of them at all. In Android, I was under the impression that the Samsung Galaxy S phones are the best and no point looking elsewhere.
I'm going to look into the Moto X4 and G5, have you compared them to the older Galaxy S7?

I'm guessing that the Moto X4 and G5 compete with the Galaxy J series perhaps? I'm not sure. I've heard that Galaxy J is the lower price tier of Samsung phones.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

These Motorola phones look very interesting. And the price point is very affordable as well. I wasn't aware of them at all. In Android, I was under the impression that the Samsung Galaxy S phones are the best and no point looking elsewhere.
I'm going to look into the Moto X4 and G5, have you compared them to the older Galaxy S7?

I'm guessing that the Moto X4 and G5 compete with the Galaxy J series perhaps? I'm not sure. I've heard that Galaxy J is the lower price tier of Samsung phones.
Galaxy S8/S9 now are the flagship. No doubt.

S5 is a very old phone now. I would avoid an S5 or S6 now, although many still use them.

These are better phones than the Galaxy J. That is a lower tier phone. Even my Moto G4 has better specs than the J series.

Moto is trying to find a slot under the $900+ phones. I think they make very good phones. The G4/G5 are pretty popular with Bogleheads who find them. The X4 adds some water resistant capabilities. Costco has had the G5s Plus on sale at times.

I would buy a new Moto over an S5/S6/S7. But mine is just one opinion. :wink:

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

kayanco wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm
kayanco wrote:

Never mind :) I just did some quick searches, neither of these two Motorola phones have Optical Image Stabilization, which is available on the S7, even though it's two years old.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:17 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 pm
kayanco wrote:

S5 is a very old phone now. I would avoid an S5 or S6 now, although many still use them.

These are better phones than the Galaxy J. That is a lower tier phone. Even my Moto G4 has better specs than the J series.

Moto is trying to find a slot under the $900+ phones. I think they make very good phones. The G4/G5 are pretty popular with Bogleheads who find them. The X4 adds some water resistant capabilities. Costco has had the G5s Plus on sale at times.

The Moto phones sure look nice, I'm impressed :)

Maybe the G6 or X5 will have Optical Image Stabilization ...
I don't think they are announced yet though.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:19 pm

My G4 takes great photos. I'm sure the X series and Z series have very good cameras.

I guess if optical image stabilization is a requirement, then you will be locked into a higher priced phone.

Everyone has their "must haves". Good luck!

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:19 pm
My G4 takes great photos. I'm sure the X series and Z series have very good cameras.

I guess if optical image stabilization is a requirement, then you will be locked into a higher priced phone.

Everyone has their "must haves". Good luck!

To be honest, I'm not even sure how much of a difference OIS would make. I read praises of it some time back and thought it would be nice to have.
And now I'm seeing the trend of these dual cameras, and this too seems like a nice to have, LOL.

I'm complicating my life :p

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
kayanco wrote:

What's wrong with the Samsung Galaxy J7? That's the phone I'm thinking of getting to replace my current phone (the LG MyTouch Q that makes the Galaxy S5 look new). I told a salesman at a T-Mobile store my requirements for my next phone, and that's the one he suggested. I want my next phone to have a front-facing camera (my current phone only has a back-facing), a micro-USB port (not the new USB-C) on the bottom (on the top is horrible, I've found), a headphone jack, no fingerprint scanner, and the ability to disable updates. Ideally it would also have a physical keyboard (on the long side of the phone), and no voice-activated assistant, but it appears those last two are impossible these days, so I need to be able to at least disable the voice-activated assistant. And he recommended the J7 (or the J5).

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Security updates are as important for your smartphone as they are for your computer.

Ever check email? Use a banking app (deposit checks, online bill pay, etc.)? A compromised phone gives access to all of that and more.
bloom2708 wrote:

I use my phone in place of a laptop or tablet as well as a camera so I'm willing to spend to reflect that.

That said, this latest round I initially went with a $1k flagship solution but returned it due to screen issues (support claimed working as designed...) and used my broken phone for a few months while hoping that the rumors on upcoming phones were right. One failed to be released in the US, but after 3 months I think one that fit my needs came out at a $500 price that's almost as nice as the $1k flagship. I do miss giving up the nicer camera, screen resolution, and waterproofing; but it's a pretty good camera, solid screen without issues and at half the cost I can afford to gamble with rain...

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:31 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:47 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
kayanco wrote:

I tried before with a Motorola phone to get it replaced with a brand new one, they said no, and eventually sent me a refurbished one. Heard that Google does the same thing. I think their logic is that your phone (before broken down) was not a brand new, so we will not replace it with a brand new one.
I found it is very hard to tell if the refurbished phone was refurbished unless being told it is, and unless it was for the packaging..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:37 pm

kayanco wrote:

There's some other non-$1k phones you may want to look at... Motorola is a good choice though.

Nokia just announced their new lineup of phones. The new Nokia 6 and 7 plus look to be quite capable for the price. Think the 6 will be around $300-350 and 7+ I think is going to be over $400, but not sure I'm remembering that right. In the recent past Nokia has been shipping very close to stock Android and providing monthly updates. Be careful if buying from other than Nokia though, the Nokia 6 from last year is inferior to the Nokia 6 from this year (the processor received a significant upgrade and I think they added more RAM)

The OnePlus 5t is a $500 phone that offers the same processor, ram, etc, as the big boys for a lot less. It's what I upgraded to when I shattered the glass on my old phone :oops:

plumberboy

Post by plumberboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:48 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
kayanco wrote:

What's wrong with the Samsung Galaxy J7? That's the phone I'm thinking of getting to replace my current phone (the LG MyTouch Q that makes the Galaxy S5 look new). I told a salesman at a T-Mobile store my requirements for my next phone, and that's the one he suggested. I want my next phone to have a front-facing camera (my current phone only has a back-facing), a micro-USB port (not the new USB-C) on the bottom (on the top is horrible, I've found), a headphone jack, no fingerprint scanner, and the ability to disable updates. Ideally it would also have a physical keyboard (on the long side of the phone), and no voice-activated assistant, but it appears those last two are impossible these days, so I need to be able to at least disable the voice-activated assistant. And he recommended the J7 (or the J5).
There is nothing wrong with the Samsung Galaxy j7 smartphone. I got mine in December and I couldn't be happier. It does anything and everything that I would care to do. The battery life is absolutely outstanding. Consumer Cellular is now selling these for $130 which I think is the best bang for the dollar out there. For me, spending seven or eight hundred dollars on a smartphone would not be frugal or the boglehead way!😊

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm

plumberboy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:48 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the Samsung Galaxy j7 smartphone. I got mine in December and I couldn't be happier. It does anything and everything that I would care to do. The battery life is absolutely outstanding. Consumer Cellular is now selling these for $130 which I think is the best bang for the dollar out there.
Excellent. That's good to hear. The T-Mobile store was selling them for about $250, so I guess I'll have to shop around.
Khanmots wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm
Security updates are as important for your smartphone as they are for your computer.

Ever check email? Use a banking app (deposit checks, online bill pay, etc.)? A compromised phone gives access to all of that and more.
bloom2708 wrote:

I use my phone in place of a laptop or tablet as well as a camera so I'm willing to spend to reflect that.
I'm with Bloom. I use my phone to make phone calls, send texts, and check exactly two websites (reddit.com and bogleheads.org) using my phone's built-in browser. No apps. Not a chance I'd ever do any banking-related thing on my phone. Hence, I'm not interested in software updates. I've taken maybe two dozen pictures with my phone over the six years I've had it, so it's not being used in place of a camera. And it's definitely not being used in place of a laptop or tablet, because I have no use for a laptop or tablet - both are too weak for my taste. Can't properly game or code on either. Give me a bleeding edge desktop and a garbage-level cell phone and I'm good to go. :wink:

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Any phone other than Galaxy S7 which has OIS and less than $400, that you can recommend?

Thanks.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 pm

kayanco wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:
No easy answer.

I have a Samsung S5 and I'm still getting updates. Got one in the last month or so.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm
I'm with Bloom. I use my phone to make phone calls, send texts, and check exactly two websites (reddit.com and bogleheads.org) using my phone's built-in browser. No apps. Not a chance I'd ever do any banking-related thing on my phone. Hence, I'm not interested in software updates. I've taken maybe two dozen pictures with my phone over the six years I've had it, so it's not being used in place of a camera. And it's definitely not being used in place of a laptop or tablet, because I have no use for a laptop or tablet - both are too weak for my taste. Can't properly game or code on either. Give me a bleeding edge desktop and a garbage-level cell phone and I'm good to go. :wink:
Hey, to each their own use case! :sharebeer

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm

OP,

Today's Woot in Electronics:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/sam ... _dly_wobtn

Maybe not the lowest price, but Woot does easy returns and stands behind their products.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm
OP,

Today's Woot in Electronics:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/sam ... _dly_wobtn

Maybe not the lowest price, but Woot does easy returns and stands behind their products.
Not a bad deal, thanks for sharing this deal.