Dealership oil change worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mortalsonofmortal

Dealership oil change worth it?

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Time to take my car for an oil change. I compared prices and Honda usually charges more when compared to local mechanics. I was wondering if there is any benefit in getting it done at Honda vs going for the cheaper option. I don't have the time to do it myself so that is not an option.

dm200

Re: Dealership oil change worth it?

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

mortalsonofmortal wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm
Time to take my car for an oil change. I compared prices and Honda usually charges more when compared to local mechanics. I was wondering if there is any benefit in getting it done at Honda vs going for the cheaper option. I don't have the time to do it myself so that is not an option.
No mechanical knowledge - but I doubt the dealership offers any general benefits.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

depends. wouldnt let jiffy lube touch my car for example.
a reliable local mechanic would be fine so you should start searching for one.
oil changes are not technically difficult. whoever is not paying attention can still mess it up though.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm

I get my car service by the same mechanic I use for repairs. I go to the dealer only for recalls, if any. The one exception is that new Toyotas come with 2 years "free service". I figure that since the cost for this is included in the price of the car, I may as well use it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Unless the car is still under a full warranty I would not have the dealership change the oil. They are notorious for overcharging for often unneeded other work. Even if it is under warranty be prepared for them to try to upsell you all sorts of overpriced "dealer recommended" maintenance that the manufacturer does not recommend.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Our local Honda dealer generally has coupons available for $19.99 dollar oil change. When that comes around I take advantage of it. You just have to be ready to turn down about $600 worth of stuff they found wrong :D

Check their website for deals.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Nearly half of the dealership's revenue comes from Service.
It's so bad, the service department subsidizes the new car price.

Elon Musk (Tesla) has been quoted several times saying "I think it’s terrible to make a profit on service", and aimed to make Tesla's service department to be revenue neutral

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm

There is no difference in the quality of an oil change from a dealer mechanic vs any other competent person. So no, it's not worth the extra cost most charge you.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Dealership oil changes are fine when they are offered with a discount. I usually can get an oil change for 25 bucks at the dealer. Its normally 35-40. They will tell you certain things need to be replaced sooner or later.

My last oil change they recommended to replace my brake pads at my next oil change. I took their word for it and decided to do the oil change and brake pad myself when I needed the next oil change. When I took the brake pads off, I pry could have gone two more oil changes before replacing. I rented a lift at a local DIY shop(still cheaper to do this than pay someone) so I ended up replacing my pads anyways.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm

It's always worth to find a reliable, trustworthy local mechanics where you live to do regular maintenance, non-warranty work such as oil change. If you can, find one that specialize in your car make. Although in general many things are similar across different brands, different brands do have different quirks and manufacturer's recommendation. So someone familiar with that brand will do a better job overall. For example, the mechanics I go to only work on Honda and Acura and they never have any shortgage of work it seems (I trust them so much that I asked to look at a Toyota when we had a visitor and they reluctantly refused.).

I would not let quick-lube type places work on my car though. If I am somewhere unfamiliar, then I'd go to a dealership. But to answer your question more directly, I don't think dealership offer better value for the price for regular maintenance work. I bring my car to my regular mechanics when it was brand new (~8000 miles oil change). I know a lot of people who bring the car to the dealer until their warrant ends though, so if it makes you feel better that way, then probably do it the first 3 - 4 times :)

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm

The only time I went to a dealership for oil change, was a transmission oil. Based on Carfax report the previous owner had changed the transmission oil at 60K miles at a cheap franchise. At certain time after I bought the car, a check engine light was on with a code related to transmission.

All of the mechanics and places I went to said no way around but to rebuilt the transmission! :oops:

The car was running great with no slipping or anything and shifting smoothly as usual... So I decided to do some researches and learned that it could be something with the oil itself.

Given the little price variance of the dealership vs another cheap quality place, and given that I wanted to troubleshot the oil issue so that if problem happened again I know for sure it is not the oil, I chose the dealership.

Luckily the engine light never came back again.

Engine oil is a different story though, but I won't do it unless there is a coupon.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm
Unless the car is still under a full warranty I would not have the dealership change the oil.
Getting your oil changed somewhere else will not void your warranty.

JT

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:13 pm

gsmith wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm
Elon Musk (Tesla) has been quoted several times saying "I think it’s terrible to make a profit on service", and aimed to make Tesla's service department to be revenue neutral
Yeah, Musk just gets you on the front end, with the purchase price!

JT

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Is the car still under bumper-to-bumper or engine component warranty? If so, the dealer's mechanic may spot a problem that's covered and get it fixed for you. I was shocked to get a free battery when the mechanic at my dealership did routine tests during dealer oil change on a 2-year-old vehicle. The test showed battery would fail, but there was nothing about its behavior I had discerned.

The other issue is this. I'd bet that when you did your own oil changes you were careful about the parts you used (filter, oil quality) and the process you followed (correct tightening of the filter). Once you go to any shop for an oil change you lose control over some or all of these things (and all of them will try to upsell you on additional work). The dealer, in my opinion, is likely to be the best choice in terms of getting the job done right unless you know a very reliable mechanic.

I used to change my own oil and would sometimes do my kids' cars too. One time my son's car, with last oil change done by a local tire dealership, had its oil filter so loose it was a miracle there had not been a leak or catastrophic oil loss - - it was so loose that it felt as if it wasn't the gasket itself but the oil film between the filter gasket and the oil-pan mount that was holding the oil in. A couple of years later, I bought tires from that same shop. A knowledgeable mechanic and great service manager were on duty. I was thereafter able to get the service manager to schedule that particular mechanic for maintenance and discuss work so that it was done the right way honestly and at a fair price.

So again, my opinion is, if you have a trusted non-dealership mechanic, don't hesitate to use him or her. If you don't, the dealer may be more costly but will also be most likely to do the job right, and they may also surprise you on the plus side with a low price or with something free that is unexpected.
Last edited by Beehave on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrington

Post by harrington » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm

We have a huge dealership in the Buffalo NY area that charges $15 any car any make. They do it to get your car on the lift and to see what else they can fix. I politely decline and I'm usually in and out within a half hour and no appointment needed. And yes that includes a filter.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Yes. Free water and donuts (or fruit). Comfortable chairs. Parking lot and entry way are flat, paved surfaces. Tetanus shot is optional.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Dealers goof work up now and then just like independent shops do.

I don't think anyone should fool themselves into thinking that dealers do the work right, while other places don't...especially something simple like an oil change.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Beehave wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm
The dealer, in my opinion, is likely to be the best choice in terms of getting the job done right unless you know a very reliable mechanic.

So again, my opinion is, if you have a trusted non-dealership mechanic, don't hesitate to use him or her. If you don't, the dealer may be more costly but will also be most likely to do the job right...
This has definitely NOT been my experience.

Dealerships do not hire from a better quality pool of mechanics compared to independent shops.
The people changing your oil at the dealer are young, inexperienced, low paid workers.

I avoid the dealership at all costs due to their ineptitude. I've experienced multiple issues, at multiple Honda and Toyota dealers, over the years.
In my opinion, they are certainly no better than the average mechanic shop (though they surpass the low bar set by Jiffy Lube type chains).

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Beehave wrote:
Is the car still under bumper-to-bumper or engine component warranty? If so, the dealer's mechanic may spot a problem that's covered and get it fixed for you. I was shocked to get a free battery when the mechanic at my dealership did routine tests during dealer oil change on a 2-year-old vehicle. The test showed battery would fail, but there was nothing about its behavior I had discerned.

The other issue is this. I'd bet that when you did your own oil changes you were careful about the parts you used (filter, oil quality) and the process you followed (correct tightening of the filter). Once you go to any shop for an oil change you lose control over some or all of these things (and all of them will try to upsell you on additional work). The dealer, in my opinion, is likely to be the best choice in terms of getting the job done right unless you know a very reliable mechanic.

I used to change my own oil and would sometimes do my kids' cars too. One time my son's car, with last oil change done by a local tire dealership, had its oil filter so loose it was a miracle there had not been a leak or catastrophic oil loss - - it was so loose that it felt as if it wasn't the gasket itself but the oil film between the filter gasket and the oil-pan mount that was holding the oil in. A couple of years later, I bought tires from that same shop. A knowledgeable mechanic and great service manager were on duty. I was thereafter able to get the service manager to schedule that particular mechanic for maintenance and discuss work so that it was done the right way honestly and at a fair price.

So again, my opinion is, if you have a trusted non-dealership mechanic, don't hesitate to use him or her. If you don't, the dealer may be more costly but will also be most likely to do the job right, and they may also surprise you on the plus side with a low price or with something free that is unexpected.
Agree, do it yourself, or find an honest competent mechanic, or an honest competent dealership and stay with them; get to know the service advisors and mechanics if you can. A good service place is a jewel to be cherished; they are not very common and are of much more value than the possibly few dollars more per oil change. The good ones will put your car on a lift and do a thorough inspection every oil change and will not recommend work that is not needed for safety or to prolong the life of your vehicle. However, if you are only leasing your vehicle or trade as soon as the warranty expires, maybe you think you should go cheap; but then that brings into question your ethics related how you feel the next buyer of the vehicle should be treated (or told of sloppy or cheap maintenance practices). But then again, I use full synthetic name brand oil (currently Castrol Edge Professional) and top tier name brand (currently mostly Shell and sometimes Exxon) gas because I have read all the test reports I can get my hands on and they seem to be better than most others. It's better, but maybe not always worth it if you don't keep a car for a couple decades.

I offer my condolences to all the posters with apparently crappy unethical dealerships. Good luck! :sharebeer
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

hand

Post by hand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Numerous benefits to dealer oil change:
1) Dealer keeps record of the service, potentially increasing resale value
2) Dealer more likely to know, have and use manufacturer specified oil and filter
3) Dealer may be able / willing to update car's firmware as part of service at little or no charge
4) Dealer familiar with common issues with your make/model and will likely pro-actively check (especially if a recall item or they think they can get you to pay)
5) Clean facilities and nice waiting room

Of course multiple downsides as well:
1) Cost is likely higher than alternatives
2) Push for additional services at very high dealer rates
3) Quality of materials / labor may not be any better than alternatives despite the pretty packaging

Personally my hierarchy prioritizing quality and value is as follows:
1) DIY
2) Quality independent mechanic when bundled with other service
3) Dealer - if additional "free" services required (software update, recall items)
4) Quick lube

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:18 pm

The hard part isn't doing the oil change it is in jacking up the car and properly securing it on the stands.

I did several transmission fluid changes on my Honda Fit. Getting the jack to the front center safe jack point is tricky. You have to turn the wheels all the way in one direction then slide the floor jack all the way in and there is barely and room to pump the handle in the wheel well. Ramps are iffy with the fit. the bumper is very low down and has small wheels.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:18 pm

The thing I would be concerned with is the quality of the filter and oil used. My last couple vehicles have been designed to go 8000-13,000 miles between oil changes. I once had to take an unexpected trip and needed to get the oil changed same day. They used a compatatible filter but it was nowhere near the quality to last for > 10,000 miles. Did another oil change in about half the usual time. After that, I used the dealer, did it myself, or supplied the filter.

four7s

Post by four7s » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Dealerships always charge more and recommend costly upkeep that you may not really need. Ex: I needed an oil change on my Toyota and balked at the $55. charge at a local oil change place. Instead took the car to Toyota dealer even though I knew it would be a similar charge--free coffee, rolls, etc. while I wait. Bottom line: the charming tech guy showed me what else I really needed to have done. Ended up costing me $175. He also highly recommended a $1400. charge for something or another and if I did it right now he'd offer 15% off. I said no. Bottom line is that dealerships always charge more and the free coffee and rolls are pretty expensive.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:28 pm

It's best to know what your car actually needs. The owner's manual and forums online are a good place to look. Oil, brake pads/rotors, brake fluid, cabin/engine air filter (easy to do yourself), transmission fluid, coolant are pretty standard. Anything unusual and I would get a 2nd opinion. Mechanics > Dealers > Jiffy Lube.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 pm

mortalsonofmortal wrote:
I was wondering if there is any benefit in getting it done at Honda vs going for the cheaper option.
Can't speak about any benefit with Honda. I use our dealers while under warranty because they provide service loaners and they have helped in getting out of warranty goodwill service -- and also so they have all service records onhand. The latter isn't a guarantee so it's probably not something you'd want to count on.

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:39 pm

I get my oil changed on my two vehicles at the dealerships I purchased the cars from.
Since I only put on a few thousand miles per year on each car :oops: , I have it done during the annual inspection cycle.

BTW, the inspections are free as long as I own the cars (3 years / 16 years thus far) so with "free" inspections, I really don't spend that much on annual maintenance changes :mrgreen: ...

- Ron

johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:42 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 pm
Our local Honda dealer generally has coupons available for $19.99 dollar oil change. When that comes around I take advantage of it. You just have to be ready to turn down about $600 worth of stuff they found wrong :D

Check their website for deals.
You got that right. Honda will bring a list of things for you to get done pretty fast. But they're really not pushy. I just tell them next time I come I'll look into it, and they're fine. Sometimes, they'll be competitive on tires and some services though generally they are higher. I actually like going to the Honda dealership because then I find out what I may need to have done, what it will cost from them, and then I can shop it around if I want to. And the OP is right, they usually have some $19.99 deal going on. If it's convenient for you, it can't hurt to let Honda do it if your dealership is like my own..

mortalsonofmortal

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. Will look around for a coupon.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 pm

miamivice wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:39 pm
Dealers goof work up now and then just like independent shops do.

I don't think anyone should fool themselves into thinking that dealers do the work right, while other places don't...especially something simple like an oil change.
This is very true. While on a cross country trip last summer I had the oil changed on my Camry at a Toyota dealer in Atlanta. I later discovered that they had overfilled the engine by 1 quart of oil. You would think that a mechanic at a Toyota dealer would know how to do a simple oil change on one of their most popular models :oops: .

z91

Post by z91 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

hand wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm
2) Dealer more likely to know, have and use manufacturer specified oil and filter
3) Dealer may be able / willing to update car's firmware as part of service at little or no charge
4) Dealer familiar with common issues with your make/model and will likely pro-actively check (especially if a recall item or they think they can get you to pay)
5) Clean facilities and nice waiting room
IMO I'd never do oil changes at the dealer for "increasing resale value." I've sold a few cars and no-one cared where I got the oil changed, as long as the light wasn't on and I could confirm it was changed regularly. If there was any increased value, it'd be all gone once you take into account the money lost by spending it at the dealer instead of a local mechanic or DIY.

I go to a place near my house and they do the oil change in 10 minutes, while I am in the car, with cameras pointing under the hood and I can watch them doing it. It's $30 and worth every penny. I used to DIY oil changes, but after I found this place I don't waste the time anymore, especially with two young kids. Best part is since it's drive through I can even take the kids with me.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

harrington wrote:
We have a huge dealership in the Buffalo NY area that charges $15 any car any make. They do it to get your car on the lift and to see what else they can fix. I politely decline and I'm usually in and out within a half hour and no appointment needed. And yes that includes a filter.
That is pretty much my story as well. I take the car to the dealer to get it inspected for problems which I usually decline to have the dealer fix and take care of myself. For the mileage I put on my car in retirement it's only a once a year oil change that costs me $30 or so.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm

A friend of mine owns his auto shop now, but in the past he has been the service manager at several large dealerships. he said in general the oil changes are given to the newest most inexperienced mechanic. Either lean how to do the basics yourself or find a good independent mechanic...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm

mortalsonofmortal wrote:
If its covered by the warranty, go ahead and have Honda do it.

Otherwise, you're probably better off using a good local mechanic. I found one in our area using Yelp, and am very satisfied with the results.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:37 pm

I used to take my car to a nearby "quick lube" joint. The last time I did, they stripped the threads on the plug, jammed it back in there and didn't bother to tell me about it. So I'll never go near there again.

There's a close by gas station, but I don't like the looks of their service bay.

So I take my care to a nearby dealership, pay a little extra, and live with it for now. And of course they keep pointing out other things that need repair either now or soon. We're doing the "watchful waiting" routine on the dual mufflers right now. When they get loud enough to bother then neighbors then I'll get them replaced I guess.

If I found a close local independent I could trust, I'd give them a try.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:55 pm

From changing the oil after my dad has taken his Toyota and Ford to two otherwise respectable dealerships, I would say that no dealership oil change is "worth it" even if it's free. I will gladly change the oil on my family's car even if I were offered lifetime oil changes with a new car purchase. (EDIT: For clarity, he owns a Toyota car and Ford truck --- so, took each to their respective homes)

FORD: The Ford dealership overtightened the oil bolt so much that it stripped the threads on the bolt. I was fortunate that the oil pan was made of harder metal. The oil filter was so overtightened that it broke an old, metal oil filter removal tool I had. I am fortunate I had a spare filter removal tool. I had to purchase a Ford OEM oil plug for $10.

TOYOTA: The Toyota dealership overtightened the oil plug and filter canister well past Toyota's printed torque specs. I'm sitting here struggling with a 1/2" wrench. It was honestly ridiculous, and I had to pull out a flashlight and ensure they had not stripped the threads on either the oil pan or filter housing. After my dad purchase a new vehicle from this same dealership, I drained the oil after 2,000 miles and it was much, much, much easier to remove the oil plug and filter as they were tightened at Toyota's factory to Toyota specs.

Honestly, the only legit oil changes you get from a dealership are likely if it's Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, RR, etc. I would say most Mercedes and BMW delaers are too commercialized to pay grease monkeys correctly. The former super-exotics charge so much that they can afford to have ASE mechanics do the jobs correctly (usually oil changes start at $400 on those)

Very unprofessional work from both dealerships. It just puts me off to the service industry for sloppy work like this. Honestly, if you want something done right in this world, you either pay out the a** or do it yourself. It's not worth getting into a fight with either over. What are they going to do? Give me a coupon for a free oil change?
Last edited by Helo80 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 pm
Every dealer oil change costs my friend at least $300 due to upselling. It's a nearly new Honda. It's her fault that she falls for it, of course. The service advisor is nothing more than a salesman.

stumblebum

Post by stumblebum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 pm

i've tried a dealership and {sic} iffy lube et al . would never go back to either. the upsell and overcharge is not with it. fortunately i have had a 1 in a million old school mechanic. he would actually down sell and olny do work that was required.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm

hand wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm
+1 on that. I've personally found that info makes its way onto a Carfax you can use when selling the vehicle, increases resale value (my personal experience at a Toyota dealer)

Some Ford dealers have a quicklane, oil change price isn't bad. Depends on the dealer of course.

FurTrader

Post by FurTrader » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 pm

I've heard that dealer mechanics will be less likely to steal your spare change than Jiffty Lube.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 pm

I had one Toyota dealer that diagnosed a difficult problem for me and fixed it at minimal cost. So, I started going there for service. I was really unhappy when they stripped the oil drain plug, and then charged me for a replacement. So, I never went back.

3D12

Post by 3D12 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm

jlcnuke wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm
There is no difference in the quality of an oil change from a dealer mechanic vs any other competent person. So no, it's not worth the extra cost most charge you.
This is simply not true. Dealerships use genuine factory parts (ie on oil changes using factory genuine oil filters) whereas local mechanics, especially your Jiffy Lubes, Tuffys, etc use after-market filters. Not worth being skimpy on something that can help prevent major costs down the road.

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:58 pm

I've got an RX-8 and nobody but a Mazda dealership has a clue how to work on the thing, and even they are starting to get a little rusty. It's always worth checking the coupon page before you take the car into the dealership and it never hurts to ask for a discount on the quoted service, you will usually get it if you ask. You can also buy your own parts (usually about half-price at AutoZone or other) and have the dealer install them.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59 am

A lot of the recommended service declined as unnecessary/overselling by customers is actually important maintenance that people are either too cheap or ignorant to appreciate and do.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

samtex

Post by samtex » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:04 am

Watty wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm
Unless the car is still under a full warranty I would not have the dealership change the oil. They are notorious for overcharging for often unneeded other work. Even if it is under warranty be prepared for them to try to upsell you all sorts of overpriced "dealer recommended" maintenance that the manufacturer does not recommend.
+1

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 am

gsmith wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm
Nearly half of the dealership's revenue comes from Service.
It's so bad, the service department subsidizes the new car price.

So is that why I paid $600 for them to top off my washer fluid and rotate my tires at my annual "service" ? :sharebeer
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:26 am

I did my oil change my self for years on all cars..
Now?
When needed ,,I take the Honda to the dealership.
One a change per year,given the miles I drive it.
The last one I traded in before it needed an oil change. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:08 am

3D12 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm
jlcnuke wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm
This is simply not true. Dealerships use genuine factory parts (ie on oil changes using factory genuine oil filters) whereas local mechanics, especially your Jiffy Lubes, Tuffys, etc use after-market filters. Not worth being skimpy on something that can help prevent major costs down the road.
This assume there is a big difference between between the OEM filter (which is not manufactured by the Motor Company anyway) and any other oil filter properly.

I’ve not seen or experienced any evidence of this.

JT

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

The single oil change I had at a dealership they forgot to put the new oil in, and then the mech took it for a test drive. When he realized his error, rather than stop and get the car towed back, he just drove it back to the shop without oil hoping that no one would be the wiser.

AS it was, my family and I were standing in the parking lot when we saw our car come back in a huge cloud of blue, acrid smoke.

His boss says, 'it's ok,, just ran it a little hot' and hands me the keys (after the mech filled it with oil). :annoyed

Engine needed to be rebuilt for $2k 3 years later, at 50k miles. On my dime. :oops:

Dozens of oil changes at the cheapie places....never a single problem. :D

squirm

Post by squirm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 am

Don't have time? 20 minutes and I'm done. Quicker than driving some place and back alone. Plus I trust myself more.

Jimmei1

Post by Jimmei1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:03 am

mortalsonofmortal wrote:
I don't have the time to do it myself so that is not an option.
I can change the oil and filter in less than 30 minutes at home, and I know I replaced the crush washer, torqued the drain bolt correctly, and added the right amount of oil. There is no place I can go for an oil change and reliably be back at my house in 30 minutes. The last time I took a vehicle for a dealer oil change was for their "free maintenance the first two years" oil change, and it took nearly two hours.