Strategies for getting out of a car dealership quickly?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MnyGrl

Strategies for getting out of a car dealership quickly?

Post by MnyGrl »

I bought a car about a week ago, and made the mistake of buying the extended warranty. I hadn't bought a new car in 14 years, and was overwhelmed by all the new electronics, and taken in by his arguments of how I'd want coverage if any of the hundreds of electronics broke.

I now want to cancel the warranty, but have to go back to the dealership as a single woman. And make the finance manager do something he will not want to do. Which should be like a root canal.

Any tips for getting them to do this fairly quickly and without delays and arguments? Was thinking of borrowing a friend's toddler when she really needs a nap, and setting her loose in the dealership. :)

Thanks!
Daryl

Re: Strategies for getting out of a car dealership quickly?

Post by Daryl »

I'd recommend reading your extended warranty contract and looking for a phone number. That way you are skipping the whole dealership experience!

Also, you don't have to buy an extended warranty from your dealer. I recently bought a new car near where I live, and an extended warranty (backed by the manufacturer) from some other dealer a thousand miles away. The whole process was very easy (a couple emails back and forth and one phone call to make the purchase). Very low pressure.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

How much was the extended warranty? What kind of car?

Buying at the time of purchase is usually the best time to buy. If you plan to drive your car well past the original factory warranty, it may not be the worst thing to keep.

I know Bogleheads tend to frown on extended warranties. Some would rather fix it themselves. As a single person, perhaps you are not interested in "wrenching".

I'm not saying you shouldn't cancel, but you are probably in the "buyers remorse" stage of the purchase. We bought an extended warranty on our last new car purchase. We ended up using it on a couple of strange issues out of the factory warranty.
Topic Author
MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl »

Hi, thanks for your replies!

I called the warranty company (Fidelity Warranty Services) to cancel, and they said I needed to go to the dealership to cancel. I called the Toyota corporate office and they also said I needed to return to the dealership. This doesn't really make sense to me since I could have bought the vehicle far from my home to save some money - they can't possibly make that a requirement, but that is what they said.

I read through the extended warranty and there are so many exclusions and conditions that I doubt they would ever pay out even for a valid claim. There are thousands of online complaints.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

How long (read the fine print) do you have to cancel the extended warrranty?

If, in fact, you do need to go back - try to go with someone else to support the cancellation. The F&I (finance and insurance) guy/gal has a strong financial incentive -- AND they are really "good" at what they do. Have the demand for cancellation written and give it to the right person/office.
Topic Author
MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl »

dm200 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm How long (read the fine print) do you have to cancel the extended warrranty?

If, in fact, you do need to go back - try to go with someone else to support the cancellation. The F&I (finance and insurance) guy/gal has a strong financial incentive -- AND they are really "good" at what they do. Have the demand for cancellation written and give it to the right person/office.
If you cancel within 30 days, you pay nothing (this is the only reason I signed up, figured I could call and cancel after reading through it).

Was thinking of showing up shortly before they close, and bringing a small, cranky child.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

MnyGrl wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm I bought a car about a week ago, and made the mistake of buying the extended warranty. I hadn't bought a new car in 14 years, and was overwhelmed by all the new electronics, and taken in by his arguments of how I'd want coverage if any of the hundreds of electronics broke.
I now want to cancel the warranty, but have to go back to the dealership as a single woman. And make the finance manager do something he will not want to do. Which should be like a root canal.
Any tips for getting them to do this fairly quickly and without delays and arguments? Was thinking of borrowing a friend's toddler when she really needs a nap, and setting her loose in the dealership. :)
Thanks!
Great idea...

Also, come up with a few "excuses" - (true or not)

Have some guy "pose" as your abusive boyfriend - who has threatened you for buying it.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Sorry you are in this situation. People get very prepared to discuss the price of the cars, and the dealers know that. Few are prepared to debate/negotiate the extended warranty, and the dealers know that, too. The person who sold you the warranty is the highest paid person in the dealership, and for good reason.

How to get out fast? Or at least as fast as possible. Do not explain. You need a single line that you can repeat over and over and over again with no variation. "I want to cancel the extended warranty." Do not explain why. Do not explain anything. Just say "I want to cancel the warranty." If you have to say something else, try: "I won't leave until you cancel this warranty." And then sit in his office.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Just be polite but be very firm. You may need to repeat what you want to do multiple times, and reject every offer they try to make for anything. Say something like "Thank you, but no, I just need to cancel the extended warranty". You do not need to give them any reasoning, etc. It will open up an opportunity for them to argue or try to convince you otherwise. At the most, just say "I changed my mind.".

I had to test drive a car a while back. I had to repeat saying "I am not yet ready to make decision now. I will come again / call when I am." multiple times before I could leave. They pressed me to give me my best offer, etc. I simply declined and kept saying that multiple times.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I did not fall for it, but years ago - after agreeing to purchase a new vehicle - the F&I guy tried to sell us a prepaid service plan. When we declined, I thought the poor guy was going to cry. Nict trick - but I did not fall for it. These guys/gals are real "pros" as selling this overpriced stuff. "Just say NO"
prudent

Post by prudent »

My first thought is that if they know why you're there, they might tell you only Mr. Smith can handle that, and Mr. Smith is out today/with a customer/in a meeting/etc. Then hope you'll get tired of waiting and leave. So if that happens, I'd connect with the salesperson who sold you the car and say you need his/her help getting this done right now. Then simply repeat "I want to cancel this warranty" as many times as necessary to get it done.

You have one ace in the hole to play - the 'customer satisfaction survey" - assuming you haven't filled it out yet. Did the salesperson tell you the survey was coming and how if there is ANY reason you can't give all perfect scores, to contact him/her first so everything can be taken care of? Dealers have a need to get all perfect scores and If they give you too much of a pushback on the warranty, you can bring up how this runaround is certainly affecting your feelings about the survey.

Don't explain, don't try to give reasons. Stick to "I want to cancel this warranty" until they realize there's no changing your mind.

I had a car dealer make me wait 3 hours to pick up an already-paid for car (he claimed the back office people couldn't find the title, then decided the secretary who wasn't working that day had locked the title in her desk, and he was sending someone to her house to pick up the key to her desk). It was a Saturday, they had a lot of prospective customers on the lot, and he simply didn't want to spend time with me when he could be selling another car. That excuse meant he didn't have to hide from me the whole time, just stick his head in the waiting room every so often and apologize again.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Put it in writing. They might be able to tell you it must be cancelled through the dealership, but it seems unlikely that they could refuse written notice of cancellation to the finance manager of the dealership.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Bring teenage boys with you. They can bring in a basketball and hold an impromptu game in the showroom while you wait. If you live near me, you can take my son. You'll just have to promise not to bring him back for a few days.

:twisted:
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl »

prudent wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm My first thought is that if they know why you're there, they might tell you only Mr. Smith can handle that, and Mr. Smith is out today/with a customer/in a meeting/etc. Then hope you'll get tired of waiting and leave. So if that happens, I'd connect with the salesperson who sold you the car and say you need his/her help getting this done right now. Then simply repeat "I want to cancel this warranty" as many times as necessary to get it done.

You have one ace in the hole to play - the 'customer satisfaction survey" - assuming you haven't filled it out yet. Did the salesperson tell you the survey was coming and how if there is ANY reason you can't give all perfect scores, to contact him/her first so everything can be taken care of? Dealers have a need to get all perfect scores and If they give you too much of a pushback on the warranty, you can bring up how this runaround is certainly affecting your feelings about the survey.

Don't explain, don't try to give reasons. Stick to "I want to cancel this warranty" until they realize there's no changing your mind.
Hi, that is an excellent idea, to bring up the survey.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just say no and refuse to discuss it.

If you are in an open area where other customers can hear you saying it loudly will make them want to get you out of there fast.

Some of the suggestions are just adding "drama" and they are better at playing games than you are. Just say no.

Just FYI, you can buy the extended warranty at any time up until your full three year warranty expires and if you don't buy one you will get lots of mail trying to sell you one.

The price is also VERY negotiable and you can buy it from any Toyota dealership. If you check the message board that specialize in Toyota you will find the names of dealerships somewhere in the country that are known for selling them at a good price.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

MnyGrl wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pmIf you cancel within 30 days, you pay nothing (this is the only reason I signed up, figured I could call and cancel after reading through it).
If you financed this vehicle, please be aware that when you cancel they will likely not change your monthly payment. The return of your money will most likely take the form of a principal payment towards the loan. This means that you will get a month or two off of the backend, but this will make zero difference to your financial situation today.

This is not to dissuade you, extended warranties are usually a scam. Just go in with your eyes wide open.

As far as dealership strategies, always be polite. Treat your counterpart like a human being with a stressful job, in short empathy. The vast majority of humans want to help nice people; especially vulnerable young women who are polite.

Then, practice saying "no" and never move off of that position. Doesn't matter what the question is, bring it back to "after reading through the fine print, I've decided this financial product will not work for me. Please cancel this warranty and provide me with documentation."
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Toons

Post by Toons »

Go to the dealership.
Look em straight in the eye.
Explain what your "are" doing.
Don't put up with any nonsense
Confidence.
You Are The Customer.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

In general, if you have a male friend, invite them along to accompany you. Not to do the talking but just to be there and pay attention.

While it might sound sexist, we do live in a male dominated world to some extent...maybe that's slowly changing but there are a number of occasions where my wife has tried to do something only to be told no, so I walk in and ask for the same thing and folks say yes.
bengt

Post by bengt »

Have some guy "pose" as your abusive boyfriend - who has threatened you for buying it.
This sounds like a business opportunity for a start-up to provide a service, i.e. send some angry, poorly-dressed violent looking guy to hang around next to the car salesman. Premium service includes authentic-looking gang tattoos with the guy. I bet the service will be quick.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I don't understand all the suggestions for added drama or simply saying no and repeating it over and over. Car salespeople aren't stupid and won't buy the drama. Also, only saying "no" and repeating it over and over just will invite more questioning to find out the reason. By adding all the drama or acting like a robot with your responses is just being rude and insulting and the sales person might come back with a similar response. I would simply walk in, tell them that after reading all the literature I don't think I am interested in it anymore and to politely ask them to cancel it for me.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Just keep saying “yes, I want to cancel it”. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.......cancel it. This worked when I declined it recently except I used the word no instead. You can do this. Don’t let them give you crap! Good luck :D

Saw the post above me....I did have to repeat it over and over. The guy wouldn’t give up!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Was thinking of showing up shortly before they close, and bringing a small, cranky child.

This is what I thought about except I didn't think about the cranky child. Do you have a dog?

Maybe it's possible to park your car blocking the entrance. After all you are only running in for a minute to cancel.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:41 pm
How to get out fast? Or at least as fast as possible. Do not explain. You need a single line that you can repeat over and over and over again with no variation. "I want to cancel the extended warranty." Do not explain why. Do not explain anything. Just say "I want to cancel the warranty." If you have to say something else, try: "I won't leave until you cancel this warranty." And then sit in his office.
Do this--and forget about cranky toddlers, going in late etc etc. Really, just keep thinking to yourself 'does he deserve my money more than I do?'. That should keep you in the right frame of mind.

If and as a finance manager starts or continues to give you excuses or silly reasons not to cancel I'd also recommend having the number for the regional or national customer service line of the car dealer. And be ready to pull out your phone, and say matter of factly that if they can't accommodate your request you are going to call-then do it. Seriously, car dealer shenanigans are usually pulled on people they think will tolerate them, so don't be that person!
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

miamivice wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:06 pm In general, if you have a male friend, invite them along to accompany you. Not to do the talking but just to be there and pay attention.

While it might sound sexist, we do live in a male dominated world to some extent...maybe that's slowly changing but there are a number of occasions where my wife has tried to do something only to be told no, so I walk in and ask for the same thing and folks say yes.
No! This is advice that continues to promote the tired stereotype that a woman needs a man standing by her/in front of her to get something done. It's outdated and offensive. If OP's wife needs or wants him to run interference that's between you two. But please don't pass along that silly "I'm here to take care of the little woman" nonsense.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Toons wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 pm Go to the dealership.
Look em straight in the eye.
Explain what your "are" doing.
Don't put up with any nonsense
Confidence.
You Are The Customer.
:happy
+1
True Grit.
You don't owe them an explanation or excuse or reason.
"I changed my mind". . .is plenty enough.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Here's an article from bankrate.com on canceling warranties. First, know your rights, then be firm.
https://www.bankrate.com/auto/should-yo ... -warranty/

Btw, I got the warranty pitch when I bought a used car last year. I politely said no, no, no, no, and no. The friendly salesman finally asked why not and I said I just don't want it (if I'd said "need" instead of want, he could then tell me why I needed it). Then he said he could knock off a few hundred for it and I said no and he gave up, no longer friendly. All this was after a parade of salesmen met with me one by one to sell other extras. I politely answered no, no, no, and no - no explanation, just no. When I left, I wondered how many people bought a warranty minus the discount I'd been offered.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I was not very popular at the dealership when I bought my last car.

Negotiated price prior to stepping foot in dealership.

Brought a check for agreed upon price.

Skipped accessories, financing, and warranty.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

What about writing a short letter and faxing it in. Then follow-up with a phone call requesting confirmation of said letter and cancellation, refund in progress.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

you: "I'm here to cancel the extended warranty"
Salesperson "oh, that's terrible, can I "
you: "no offense, but I've made up my mind, the reasons are irrelevant at this point, and it would save us both some time and trouble if we could get this done as quickly as possible so I can go about my day and you can get back to making money from your other customers while keeping me happy, thanks :)"

Saleperson :anything other than "taking care of it"
you: "i'm serious, let's get this over with while I'm still happy about my experience at this dealership, thank you"

anything other than "okay" at that point
you: "I really don't want to have to take the time to file complaints with corporate, your boss, and the better business bureau, but if you can't take care of this request I will find the time."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

MnyGrl wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm
dm200 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm How long (read the fine print) do you have to cancel the extended warrranty?

If you cancel within 30 days, you pay nothing (this is the only reason I signed up, figured I could call and cancel after reading through it).

Was thinking of showing up shortly before they close, and bringing a small, cranky child.
Go there and say "i want to cancel this warranty, I want the money back".

Each time the sales person says somegthing, say the same thing. Do no answer questions. Keep repeating. Maybe in a louder voice. Eventually you will get through. Do not answer questions. Do not engage in conversation.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

After an appropriate amount of polite “I’d like to cancels”, perhaps a “what part of cancel don’t you understand”, possibly mixed in with a few choice, er, word bombs depending on your tolerance for such. Also, channel you inner crazy and speak in an increasing loud voice. They’ll wanna get you outta there, believe me.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

You do not need to explain your reasons to them. You do not need to convince them of anything.
Steve
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Look through your warranty before you go in and find the section or clause that explains the cancellations policy. Review it before you go in. Once you know your rights, make sure you explain to them (as they will try to talk you out of it), that if they do not comply you will file a lawsuit against them as well as contact the local news station (they love defending the small person), and reporting this as well as main headquarters.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

MnyGrl wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm Was thinking of showing up shortly before they close, and bringing a small, cranky child.
Make that a small, cranky, greasy child. The only reason to replace that with a cranky, greasy putative boyfriend is if he is bigger and can open doors. Thus smearing both sides of the windows instead of just the paint work.

But seriously repeating yourself saying "I want to cancel the extended warranty" isn't rude. Not listening and making you repeat yourself is rude.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

And remember, these guys are good. They get lots of folks into these warranties. They have lots of different tactics. You can't be intimidated or embarrassed to tell them no. I'm never truly comfortable sitting in that little room with the finance guy because I know what's coming but you can't back down.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Many great ideas here ...

1. With, perhaps, one exception, do not get dragged into justifying your request. Just remember: "Do not wrestle with a pig. You BOTH get dirty and the pig loves it."

2. The one exception (maybe) between repeating "I want to cancel" might be "This is such a great and reliable car - nothing will go wrong."
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

Just call up. Don't make up excuses. Just tell them you want to cancel. I am sure you can do over the phone. Be polite and professional. Don't treat them like scumbags. Just you changed your mind and want to cancel. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. You are psyching yourself out.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

pennstater2005 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 pm And remember, these guys are good. They get lots of folks into these warranties. They have lots of different tactics. You can't be intimidated or embarrassed to tell them no. I'm never truly comfortable sitting in that little room with the finance guy because I know what's coming but you can't back down.
Absolutely true.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

My $0.02. Make a copy of the extended warranty contract. Clearly highlight or circle or underline the cancellation clause. Write a short letter that says “According to clause XX, I am canceling the extended warranty.” Be sure to keep copies. Walk into the dealership and ask for the person who sold you the extended warranty (maybe call ahead to make sure he or she is in). Tell the salesperson that you are canceling the extended warranty as you hand them the paperwork and that your mind is made up and you will not be convinced otherwise. Also tell them that you are a busy professional and your time is worth money and that you expect that this cancellation will take less than 15 minutes. If it doesn’t get canceled within 25 minutes, ask to speak to the salesperson’s manager. If that is not allowed, ask for the telephone number of the National customer service representative for the automaker. Call it in front of them if you are getting nowhere.

If you financed the car there, you may have the option of canceling the loan and getting financing somewhere else. You may be able to remind them of that.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Threaten a bad review

They’ll more or less do whatever you want - within reason
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

pennstater2005 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 pm And remember, these guys are good.
Indeed.

You don't want to walk out of there with the extended warranty and the $500 floor mats.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you can’t do it by phone or letter, get yourself mad before you go in.

Think about how they took advantage of you. Tell yourself it was because you are a woman, if that helps (guys fall for that faulty electronics line, too...). Then go in and tell them you want to cancel. Ask them what you need to do to cancel. Say no to anything else.

I generally avoid confrontation when unnecessary. But when I get smacked in the mouth, I can easily be the person to start laying down punishment. Sometimes, just telling myself they just smacked me in the mouth helps.

Good luck,

JT
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

I just want to mention something here about extended warranties that I didn't know, which is if you get rid of the car during the warranty period, you can get a pro rata refund. When I no longer needed my Sienna van after only 2 years and traded it in to a different dealer than the one I had bought it -- and an extended warranty -- from, the new dealer sent me back to the old dealer to claim a refund. I wound up paying ~$200 for the 2 years extended coverage, which included an extra electronic fob.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

armeliusc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm Just be polite but be very firm. You may need to repeat what you want to do multiple times, and reject every offer they try to make for anything. Say something like "Thank you, but no, I just need to cancel the extended warranty". You do not need to give them any reasoning, etc. It will open up an opportunity for them to argue or try to convince you otherwise. At the most, just say "I changed my mind.".

I had to test drive a car a while back. I had to repeat saying "I am not yet ready to make decision now. I will come again / call when I am." multiple times before I could leave. They pressed me to give me my best offer, etc. I simply declined and kept saying that multiple times.
+1.

You can also say “I thought about it and I want to cancel since I trust _____ (e.g. Toyota).” If they say something like “Yeah but cars are so complicated right now.” You can say “hmm really, well I still trust Toyota but maybe you’re right and I should buy a different brand next time.” Or “I hope I don’t have issues because then I won’t be buying Toyota” again. When I did this, they got the point.

Actually I found that purchasing the extended warranty and canceling it later is easier than trying to reject it outright the first time!
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Epsilon Delta wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 pm
pennstater2005 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 pm And remember, these guys are good.
Indeed.

You don't want to walk out of there with the extended warranty and the $500 floor mats.
...and a pre-paid plan to change the headlight fluid every 3000 miles
...and another plan to change the air in the tires twice a year
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Ok, OP, you got worked by the finance manager (generally, a season car salesman/woman whom has a long track record of closing sales as the finance manager is generally a cushy and rewarding job). Your situation is far from unique and every day people get suckered into buying these warranties. I am not going to read through and reply to individual advice, but I am going to include everything you need to know.

1. If you decided to keep the warranty: Toyota Financial Service handles Toyota Vehicle Service Agreements (VSA). You bought a third-party warranty from Fidelity. Though, that's not 100% bad news. Toyota warranty claims are generally clear cut --- as in if Toyota denies an extended warranty claim, that's it -- dealerships can contest, but Toyota generally tells them to pound sand. Dealerships that sell third-party warranties usually have some wiggle room by calling their inside guy/gal to get a repair approved to maintain the warranty relationship with the dealership. Personally, I'd prefer a Toyota Extended Warranty, though Toyota warranties have plenty of exclusions as well. The complaints you read from Fidelity are generally from people that have no idea what they bought.

2. Yes, there is generally a hefty commission on top of the extended warranty whether Toyota Financial Service or Fidelity are backing it.

3. It should not be too late to cancel your extended warranty through Fidelity. Generally speaking, you have to cancel with the dealership --- NOT with Toyota, Toyota Financial Service, Fidelity, or anybody else. If you get absolutely nowhere with the dealership and they drag their feet... a call to Fidelity may be warranted. If Fidelity is clueless.... call Toyota Corporate and see what they say. The reason you bring Toyota Corporate into this is so that their regional/district managers (whatever they call them) can kick the dealership in the rear.

4. If the Finance Manager gives you issues, ask to speak to the GM or whomever the Finance Manager reports to. My best guess is that if you go back to the dealership, they generally refund the plan as they know you are serious. As you can imagine.... most people forget and do not bother going back once the product is sold.

5. The Nuclear Option and Option of LAST resort is to bring up a poor CSS (Customer Satisfaction Survey). These have real-world implications and Toyota and Toyota's regional managers take them more seriously than you may realize. Negative CSS's can have implications on special vehicle allotments (like hard to get Tacoma, 4runner and Tundra TRD Pros... and the coming all-new return of the Supra) --- IOW vehicles that go for MSRP or more. Negative CSS's can also have financial implications on factory to dealership incentives.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT go in guns blazing with Option 5 to get your way. That will piss off the dealership. It's like going in and saying "I'm going to sue you all and get my attorney involved!!!" But, Option 5 exists as leverage if they start giving you issues as something you can cordially bring up such as, "You know, I'd really hate to have a bad impression on my mind when I get Toyota's customer satisfaction survey..."
Last edited by Helo80 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

It's a good experience to learn to deal with difficult people. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If this dealer ever wants your recommendation or repeat business they should make it easy for you.
island

Post by island »

You don't need a toddler, a teenager or anything else.
Just say I changed my mind, I don't want the extended warranty and it's not open for discussion. Thank you.
End of story.
I really don't understand why that is so difficult.
If you don't want to be jerked around, then don't do the same to them with any lame excuses or children as props.
FraggleRock

Post by FraggleRock »

Stop bathing. Now.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

island wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm You don't need a toddler, a teenager or anything else.
Just say I changed my mind, I don't want the extended warranty and it's not open for discussion. Thank you.
End of story.
I really don't understand why that is so difficult. ...
I agree it should be that simple (besides just saying NO), but a very good reason it's difficult is that the salespeople make it so, partly by making buyers feel guilty if they don't go along with the pitch. People want to please, to be cooperative, to be liked, and it can be easy to take advantage of that. Sales 101.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle