Custom shades from Home Depot

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalG

Custom shades from Home Depot

Post by capitalG »

I know there are a couple threads on this topic but I didn't see a couple of these points covered. Does anyone have experience getting cellular shades from Home Decorators, and if so, can you share your thoughts?

I believe this is the house brand for Home Depot. We are comparing this brand to Bali (about 10% more) - I can't tell the difference in feel/quality, but then again I've never shopped for cellular blinds before. Levelor is on sale currently but unfortunately is not an option - we need blackout shades and the sales rep says they do not offer this. We have also gotten a quote from our local window covering shop (who we are already purchasing custom drapes for a couple large windows) - they only carry Hunter Douglas and their quote is ~3x that of HD and as far as I can tell (by feel and researching) the quality difference is not commensurate with the price.

G
Khanmots

Re: Custom shades from Home Depot

Post by Khanmots »

Don't know anything about cellular shades, but have you looked into selectblinds.com as a possible source?

When I purchased blinds for my home they were a good price (better than home depot). Everything was ordered as a custom width so they fit the slightly screwy framing of my windows. They all came to the specified sizes, installed easy, and have worked fine over the years.
skteam

Post by skteam »

I also suggest that you check out selectblinds.com. We shopped everywhere and could not find a better combination of price/quality. You can also easily do one room at a time so you don't have to make a big upfront commitment if you are not sure about them.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I fews years back, I looked at Home Depot to replace cellular blinds with blackout cellular blinds. I decided to go with blinds.com. They were easy and less expensive. I would check with the online retailers.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Another vote for selectblinds.com. We also looked at Home Depots and Lowe's initially but got the SelectBlinds recommendation from this forum and after browsing around decided to give it a try. It was a simple process: measure ourselves, put in the order, and install them myself.
GW208

Post by GW208 »

We have the Levolor Accordia room darkening shades from HD and have been happy with them. They are advertised to block 90% of the light and they really do make the room dark, I'm not sure how much darker blackout could be.
stonelew

Post by stonelew »

GW208 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 pm We have the Levolor Accordia room darkening shades from HD and have been happy with them. They are advertised to block 90% of the light and they really do make the room dark, I'm not sure how much darker blackout could be.
+1...We did the whole house with these and very happy and the blackout work well
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

I have several custom Levelor cordless bottom up top down cellular blinds purchased at HD. They are over ten years old and twice I had an internal cord break. I think the repair was $15 each and I had to pay one way shipping too. The customer service was good and I think the warranty for cord breakage is lifetime for the original purchaser. I would buy blinds again from HD and I have been pleased with Levelor's customer service.
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

Thanks everyone for your feedback - it sounds like a lot of votes for selectblinds.com / blinds.com and a some for Levelor. I've gotten some samples of a few different grade cellular shades from Select Blinds and the highest grade house brand ("Signature") quality seems better than the Home Depot brand shades and on par with the Hunter Douglas shades we had looked at (to my untrained eye, anyways). Given this and the huge price difference (about 80% cheaper than Hunter Douglas and about 40% cheaper than Home Depot), I've put an order in with Select Blinds and will take a crack at installing myself. Thanks again for your tips! :sharebeer
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Bali/Graber/etc are just some of the brands for Springs Window Fashions. When the box arrives from Mexico, it likely won't have the brand label on it (bali) but will just say Spring Window Fashions. There isn't much difference between the brand names from the same manufacturer.
evergreenterrace

Post by evergreenterrace »

Curious to know how hard the install is from selectblinds.com, if you get the chance to leave some feedback I'd be much obliged.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

stonelew wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 pm
GW208 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 pm We have the Levolor Accordia room darkening shades from HD and have been happy with them. They are advertised to block 90% of the light and they really do make the room dark, I'm not sure how much darker blackout could be.
+1...We did the whole house with these and very happy and the blackout work well
We use these as our blackout shades (coupled with tasteful blackout/room darkening curtains for decor and to catch the light that slips around the edge. We've been very happy with them. We live in a major city wity all the attendant city lights, and the room truly does wet dark (too dark for me actually, just right for my wife).
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

capitalG wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 am Thanks everyone for your feedback - it sounds like a lot of votes for selectblinds.com / blinds.com and a some for Levelor. I've gotten some samples of a few different grade cellular shades from Select Blinds and the highest grade house brand ("Signature") quality seems better than the Home Depot brand shades and on par with the Hunter Douglas shades we had looked at (to my untrained eye, anyways). Given this and the huge price difference (about 80% cheaper than Hunter Douglas and about 40% cheaper than Home Depot), I've put an order in with Select Blinds and will take a crack at installing myself. Thanks again for your tips! :sharebeer
Made the mistake of posting before I saw your conclusion. Please post back with your experience if you don't mind.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

Just to close this out, we received and installed our shades from select blinds.com earlier this week and are very happy with the result! We had ordered a total of 7 shades of varying dimensions across 3 rooms - each shade was separately packaged, labeled properly, had all the necessary parts, and fit perfectly. We ordered the “signature” line from their house brand of the cellular shades. Install is simple if you are somewhat handy with a drill, took me 2ish hours working alone for all the blinds - you mount the provided brackets and then snap in the blinds.

Only complaint is about the delivery (really a FedEx issue) - they dropped the blinds on our doorstep on a rainy day when we weren’t home, not ideal given the contents of package. Thankfully blinds were well packed and stayed dry despite soaked boxes...

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback!