Alaska Princess Cruise: Shore excursions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Alaska Princess Cruise: Shore excursions?

Post by FoolStreet »

We are going in a 7 day alaskan cruise on Princess (sea star) plus 4 day Denali tour this summer. Are there any must - do or must-skip excursions we should consider? We will be going as a group so I need to be prepared for group dynamics. The frugal side of me would skip tourist trap style excursions, and the adventurous side of me would just want a backpack and a quiet trail. Ha ha
letsgobobby

Re: Alaska Princess Cruise: Shore excursions?

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

One word of caution. If you are on a Cruise line sponsored excursion and its running way late past the time the ship is set to sail, they will hold the ship. If you are on your own and have issues, the boat may sail without you.

We had an issue with a Princess excursion regarding whale watching and got a full refund, no questions asked, when the boat had trouble heading out. They wanted to go back and get another boat, adding several hours to the trip. Passengers all got quite upset and those of us who chose not to go on the second boat got a refund.

Just my experience.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

We really enjoyed the White Pass and Yukon train out of Skagway. The narrated train ride and motor coach on the way back provides context that I don’t think you could get doing your own thing. We booked thru Princess - just seemed easier albeit somewhat more expensive.

I agree that arranging your own transportation to Mendenhall Glacier makes the most sense. Our tour included other stops and only a limited time at the Glacier. Made for a very quick hike and there was much more to explore.

The narrated bus tour in Denali was excellent, as well. Also, the tour busses are able to go farther into the park than private vehicles. Take the full day tour if you have the time; I wish we had booked another day at the Princess Lodge to give us more time in the park. I’ll just have to go again! :D
HobbesMB

Post by HobbesMB »

My wife and I did a similar cruise a couple of years ago. We're not much for group tours, so we only did a couple of organized excursions, but enjoyed them both. We didn't book through the cruise line, even though we were aware of the warnings about the ship not waiting for late tours. The companies are well experienced with serving the cruise ships and know not to cut it close.

Our excursions:
Skagway White Pass Summit Rail & Bus (Chilkoot Charters)
Juneau Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Tour (Liquid Alaska Tours)

In Denali we didn't take a tour into the park. The inexpensive green park buses follow the same road (it's the only one) and the driver gave plenty of commentary along the way. We saw tons of wildlife (moose, caribou, foxes, coyotes, mountain goats, grizzlies, even a rare wolverine), and of course the awesome Denali.

Alaska is beautiful from both the water and the land. Glacier Bay and College Fjord were highlights of the trip.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

I was just talking to someone at work and recommending some excursions. The distances in Alaska and the repercussions of getting delayed made us unwilling to risk independent excursions.

The White Pass railroad out of Skagway is an absolutely can not miss experience.

We did a fishing excursion out of Keticikan that was also amazing. We caught some fish and then went to an island with a camp kitchen where they cooked the fish and we ate the most amazing meal!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm We are going in a 7 day alaskan cruise on Princess (sea star) plus 4 day Denali tour this summer. Are there any must - do or must-skip excursions we should consider? We will be going as a group so I need to be prepared for group dynamics. The frugal side of me would skip tourist trap style excursions, and the adventurous side of me would just want a backpack and a quiet trail. Ha ha
You might want to check www.CruiseCritic.com

You'll find a subforum on Princess cruises, and also a Roll call for your specific cruise (probably; if not, start one!).

And you might to to the Ports of Call for all sorts of discussion/recommendations about excursions at each port.

Enjoy!

We did the Vanguard-Seward cruise early June, 2016, and it was SPECTACULAR.
We want to do it again, and then spend more time in Alaska than we did before.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

letsgobobby wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 pm It's been a few years but we arranged all our excursions ourselves.

Rented a car and drove to the Mendenhall glacier and hiked it ourselves.

Arranged a kayak excursion in Ketchikan for half the price.

Now if you have to fly a helicopter or something I can't help you.
Great ideas. I like the idea of kayaking or having some flexibility to be physically active.

I love to trail run, so I may want to find an epic trail and be able to go at my own pace (I’m not fast but faster than walkers).
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Cigarman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:13 pm One word of caution. If you are on a Cruise line sponsored excursion and its running way late past the time the ship is set to sail, they will hold the ship. If you are on your own and have issues, the boat may sail without you.

We had an issue with a Princess excursion regarding whale watching and got a full refund, no questions asked, when the boat had trouble heading out. They wanted to go back and get another boat, adding several hours to the trip. Passengers all got quite upset and those of us who chose not to go on the second boat got a refund.

Just my experience.
That’s a really good point. There is some safety factor doing excursions with the cruise. I suppose I would want to choose tours that have a higher propensity to be later or have challenging logistics for the paid excursions.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:20 pm We really enjoyed the White Pass and Yukon train out of Skagway. The narrated train ride and motor coach on the way back provides context that I don’t think you could get doing your own thing. We booked thru Princess - just seemed easier albeit somewhat more expensive.

I agree that arranging your own transportation to Mendenhall Glacier makes the most sense. Our tour included other stops and only a limited time at the Glacier. Made for a very quick hike and there was much more to explore.

The narrated bus tour in Denali was excellent, as well. Also, the tour busses are able to go farther into the park than private vehicles. Take the full day tour if you have the time; I wish we had booked another day at the Princess Lodge to give us more time in the park. I’ll just have to go again! :D

Great to hear the 2nd vote on mendenhall glacier.

I have heard great things about the White Pass train out of Skegway. (Unless you are a spoiled Norwegian - wink) (an old poster from Norway made that joke). I think there are several train excursion versions in skegway. One includes the Klondike Highway. I would love to hear any more experiences related to this type of excursion. Is there a critical section to see or can it easily be split to include the train and the coach ride (tour bus) segment of Klondike Highway?

We have an add on 4 day tour of Denali and I have not really studied that itinerary et. Will need to take your ideas into account, but I think we will be covered.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

HobbesMB wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:31 pm My wife and I did a similar cruise a couple of years ago. We're not much for group tours, so we only did a couple of organized excursions, but enjoyed them both. We didn't book through the cruise line, even though we were aware of the warnings about the ship not waiting for late tours. The companies are well experienced with serving the cruise ships and know not to cut it close.

Our excursions:
Skagway White Pass Summit Rail & Bus (Chilkoot Charters)
Juneau Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Tour (Liquid Alaska Tours)

In Denali we didn't take a tour into the park. The inexpensive green park buses follow the same road (it's the only one) and the driver gave plenty of commentary along the way. We saw tons of wildlife (moose, caribou, foxes, coyotes, mountain goats, grizzlies, even a rare wolverine), and of course the awesome Denali.

Alaska is beautiful from both the water and the land. Glacier Bay and College Fjord were highlights of the trip.
Thanks! I’m starting to see themes. For Skagway, how did you feel about the bus and train. Would you have rather done all train? Or did the bus allow you to go farther on the train?

I am inclined to skip the whale watching this time but maybe next.

It looks like our ship will go into Glacier Bay (won’t stop there for an excursion) so that should be good. And I will have to check on College Fjord.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I did the interior of AK tramping around (including Denali) and then hopped on a Princess ship and sailed South to see the coastal towns this past September. It rains a lot there, plan to bring wet gear coverings and waterproof footwear is a must.

My favorite excursion was to Jewell Gardens (Skagway SGY-360) to try my hand at glass blowing and a wonderful lunch (included in price) in their restaurant. You will need to book this trip early as it has a limited number of participants for each excursion. They will pick you up at the dock and return you there as well. Approx. 3 hours and the ornament you make they drop ship to your home. They do have a price discount for the 7-12yo bunch. I booked via Princess, but you can Google them to get to their web site where you can make non-Princess excursion arrangements. Skagway is a very small town. I walked it in less than a hour so there is plenty of time to see the town and learn how to blow glass.

If you make it to Denali - skip the canned tours and go to the Denali NP web site directly to reserve 'Green Bus' tickets to see the park. Do this early in your planning. 1) The NP green bus is way cheaper and better(!!) than anything with the word 'tour' attached, 2) The drivers are great with a informed running commentary to whoever gets on the bus. Bonus! They know were the animals are hanging out since they travel the road several times a day and they stop for photo ops. 3) You can hop on and off the Green bus (can't with any of the other buses) to hike if so inclined and 4) If you get as far as either Wonder Lake or the Eilsen Visitor center (only one Princess tour makes it to the visitor center for a 30 min stop then you have to get back on the bus) you can get off, spend some time looking about and get back on a different green bus for your return trip. The very best views of Denali are at mile marker 61-68 and the Eilsen visitor center. They also have real flush toilets there as well. :D

Also, you can get Princess to give about $100 (per person) price reduction on your bill if you tell them or your agent you want to decline the Princess Denali tour. They do not advertise this. My NP Denali ticket costs me $44 for a full/all day pass. Also, the first 15 miles inside Denali has free green bus stops, but the beauty of this park is found where the pavement ends (MM 15) and beyond. All of the hotels run shuttle buses from the hotel to Denali.

I found Mendenhall interesting but not taxing. You do get up close to the glacier and waterfall if you are willing to walk a bit, easy paths, nothing hard. I bought a cheap town bus ticket at the dock (can't remember the price) for a round trip. Buses stopped there every 30 minutes to take folks back to the dock.

Also if you are a AAA member, do have them send you a road map of Alaska. For some reason they were hard to come by while there. I had one so I could see where I was while riding the train and was the envy of the car. :mrgreen:
midareff

Post by midareff »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm We are going in a 7 day alaskan cruise on Princess (sea star) plus 4 day Denali tour this summer. Are there any must - do or must-skip excursions we should consider? We will be going as a group so I need to be prepared for group dynamics. The frugal side of me would skip tourist trap style excursions, and the adventurous side of me would just want a backpack and a quiet trail. Ha ha
We went on that trip with Princess last summer ... but with a longer ground tour. The trip pictures are here http://www.martindareff.com/Travel-in-t ... ilderness/ and everything is labeled with what and where. It was excellent and we spent a couple of days in Vancouver before the trip as well. Don't have anything negative to say about the trip and all excursions seemed to be good values, we took lots.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I bought a cheap town bus ticket at the dock (can't remember the price) for a round trip.
Those Mendenhall bus ticket prices have gone up so much in the last couple of years that now you're better off buying your own bus and having it delivered to the dock.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

FoolStreet wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm
ClaycordJCA wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:20 pm We really enjoyed the White Pass and Yukon train out of Skagway. The narrated train ride and motor coach on the way back provides context that I don’t think you could get doing your own thing. We booked thru Princess - just seemed easier albeit somewhat more expensive.

Great to hear the 2nd vote on mendenhall glacier.

I have heard great things about the White Pass train out of Skegway. (Unless you are a spoiled Norwegian - wink) (an old poster from Norway made that joke). I think there are several train excursion versions in skegway. One includes the Klondike Highway. I would love to hear any more experiences related to this type of excursion. Is there a critical section to see or can it easily be split to include the train and the coach ride (tour bus) segment of Klondike Highway?

We have an add on 4 day tour of Denali and I have not really studied that itinerary et. Will need to take your ideas into account, but I think we will be covered.
We did take the extended narrated Klondike Highway bus tour. You board the bus immediately after getting off the train. The bus continues several hours down the highway and will ultimately bring you back to Skagway or the cruise ship area. We opted to walk back to the ship from town. We enjoyed the bus tour. The driver provided a nice history of the area and explains what you are seeing — but you are a long way from the actual Klondike gold fields. Lunch (barbecued chicken) was provided at a complex that trains sled dogs, includes a petting/play area for retired dogs and puppies, has a natural history display of stuffed animals and the ubiquitous gift shop. It makes for a long day, but am glad we went - I am a history buff, so you may want to take that into account.
HobbesMB

Post by HobbesMB »

FoolStreet wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pmThanks! I’m starting to see themes. For Skagway, how did you feel about the bus and train. Would you have rather done all train? Or did the bus allow you to go farther on the train?

It looks like our ship will go into Glacier Bay (won’t stop there for an excursion) so that should be good. And I will have to check on College Fjord.
This tour took the train up and a bus back. You go the same distance on the train, but you get a bit of a different trip coming back on the bus instead of just seeing the same scenery in reverse. I'm not sure it is superior to taking the train up and back, but I preferred it.

There is no stopping in Glacier Bay, as the ship just makes a run in and back. It's the only national park accessible only by sea, and only a limited number of ships are allowed in to keep impact to a minimum, so not all cruises go there. It's a great place to get up close to glaciers though. We saw some nice calving when there.Image
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

HobbesMB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm
FoolStreet wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pmThanks! I’m starting to see themes. For Skagway, how did you feel about the bus and train. Would you have rather done all train? Or did the bus allow you to go farther on the train?

This tour took the train up and a bus back. You go the same distance on the train, but you get a bit of a different trip coming back on the bus instead of just seeing the same scenery in reverse. I'm not sure it is superior to taking the train up and back, but I preferred it.

There is no stopping in Glacier Bay, as the ship just makes a run in and back. It's the only national park accessible only by sea, and only a limited number of ships are allowed in to keep impact to a minimum, so not all cruises go there. It's a great place to get up close to glaciers though. We saw some nice calving when there.
When we went (on Holland, not Princess), we took the bus up and the train back down. There was a reason that seemed to be our choice for how we split it, but I can't recall what it was. I agree that it gives you different scenery and is worth doing the bus/train rather than all one or the other. On the bus trip up we got to stop to allow a grizzly bear cross the highway in front of us and watch him as he meandered along the roadside for nearly 10 minutes.

As to the comments about preferring an excursion sponsored by the cruise line so that you don't get left behind, we considered that to be an improbable event. Only one of the excursions we booked was through the cruise line and that was necessary as we boarded a smaller boat directly from the ship to go into Tracy Arm and met back up with the ship in Juneau. On the train in Skagway it is a non-issue as the railroad cars booked by the cruise lines are on the same train--just usually more crowded from what I understand.

edit: The longest train/bus excursion in Skagway was well worth doing imo.
hfj

Post by hfj »

My family is not really into excursions, so we mainly did hiking. Our kids were young so nothing very strenuous.

In Ketchikan we took a cab to the the Rainbird Trailhead by the university. Easy and pretty trail back, but we'd probably do something like the Deer Mountain Trail next time.

In Juneau we took a cab to the Perserverance Trail by the mining museum. That was a wide and well-maintained trail, and would be great on a mountain bike. We did a little out and back a bit past the waterfall, and descended via the Flume Trail, which was pretty neat (and wet, it was pouring by then).

Skagway was a little different. I'm a road cyclist, so my family hung out with some friends, while I rented a bike and climbed the Klondike Highway over the summit and past the border (brought my passport; first time doing a border crossing on bike). Fun climb and descent for roadies. But when I got back, I joined my family and we did the Lower Dewey Lake trail, which was the most crowded hike we did because the trail head is right next to the docks. Apparently there's also a lot of good mountain biking in Skagway as well.

Getting just a little bit out of the main tourist area of town drops the crowds a lot.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

hfj wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:32 pm My family is not really into excursions, so we mainly did hiking. Our kids were young so nothing very strenuous.

In Ketchikan we took a cab to the the Rainbird Trailhead by the university. Easy and pretty trail back, but we'd probably do something like the Deer Mountain Trail next time.

In Juneau we took a cab to the Perserverance Trail by the mining museum. That was a wide and well-maintained trail, and would be great on a mountain bike. We did a little out and back a bit past the waterfall, and descended via the Flume Trail, which was pretty neat (and wet, it was pouring by then).

Skagway was a little different. I'm a road cyclist, so my family hung out with some friends, while I rented a bike and climbed the Klondike Highway over the summit and past the border (brought my passport; first time doing a border crossing on bike). Fun climb and descent for roadies. But when I got back, I joined my family and we did the Lower Dewey Lake trail, which was the most crowded hike we did because the trail head is right next to the docks. Apparently there's also a lot of good mountain biking in Skagway as well.

Getting just a little bit out of the main tourist area of town drops the crowds a lot.
I plan to respond to everyone, but just wanted to say that your posts about the Deer Mountain Trail and the Perseverance Trail really made my day. I put them into google image search and started getting very excited about some nice hiking and trail running. I figure that I will be going stir crazy on the cruise with all the food and sitting around, so it will feel really good to get out and stretch my legs. When I hear things like, "It was pouring" or even descriptions like, "tropical rainforest," it makes me think I should be bringing rain running gear and not to get my hopes up if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I love to cycle, but I'm not as hardcore as you. I think I'll stick with the White Pass Train for that days excursion. Good stuff!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

FoolStreet wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm
hfj wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:32 pm My family is not really into excursions, so we mainly did hiking. Our kids were young so nothing very strenuous.

I plan to respond to everyone, but just wanted to say that your posts about the Deer Mountain Trail and the Perseverance Trail really made my day. I put them into google image search and started getting very excited about some nice hiking and trail running. I figure that I will be going stir crazy on the cruise with all the food and sitting around, so it will feel really good to get out and stretch my legs. When I hear things like, "It was pouring" or even descriptions like, "tropical rainforest," it makes me think I should be bringing rain running gear and not to get my hopes up if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I love to cycle, but I'm not as hardcore as you. I think I'll stick with the White Pass Train for that days excursion. Good stuff!
The weather will be very hard to predict.

For our cruise 2 years ago (late May through early June), the forecast was for rain every day.
We had our rain jackets and rain pants and were "all set".
Except... there was wonderful sun the *entire* week :happy

So be prepared, but don't count on the forecast being accurate.

It was a spectacular cruise. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

We will be going in July, though I don't know if that will affect the expected amount of rain. I think the challenge won't be rain gear, per se, but rather rain gear for warm weather. And, I'll need to figure out how to do wash on the ship, since my wife says my clothes can get a little - noticeable.
invst65

Post by invst65 »

The most enjoyable sightseeing moments of our Alaska cruise were actually on the ship. We had an outside cabin with a balcony and we could sit outside and see whales. When we traversed the Tracy Fjord we had an excellent view from the balcony, including the glacier at the end which was truly awesome. It was calving as the ship slowly turned around. They said we were still more than a mile away but you really couldn't tell except that it took a few seconds for the sound to reach you.

In regards to booking shore excursions from third parties, I would not worry about it so much. All of the ones we booked promised to get you back to the ship on time or pay to get you to the next port but their advertising brochures said that had never happened. If by some chance it actually did, it's not exactly like being on a cruise in the Caribbean where you would be left stranded in a foreign country. You will still be in the good old U.S.A. and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

If we go again, and we probably will, we will take one of the expensive helicopter tours. We had never done anything like that before but last year when we went to Hawaii we decided you only live once and splurged on on a volcano helicopter tour. It was totally awesome. I imagine a glacier tour would be much the same.