How Far is too Far, Commuting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sam1

Re: Work Commute: How far is too far?

Post by Sam1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:03 am

My requirement is that I have to be able to walk to work in under 45 minutes.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 am

For me I can do 45 minutes in a car or 1 hour by public transit. That is about where is reach my max. Arlington is pretty close to DC so there may be a way to do public transit. Would her taking the same amount of commute time but not driving make her commute better? If so, it's worth a look. She could read or watch a TV show instead of dealing with horrendous drivers.

You also have to consider that moving may not get you all that much. Arlington, VA is pretty pricey so you would either have to pick PG county in MD south of DC or NoVA which will still give you horrible commutes to find a similar house that meets your requirements.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 am

atomicrc11 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 am
For me I can do 45 minutes in a car or 1 hour by public transit. That is about where is reach my max. Arlington is pretty close to DC so there may be a way to do public transit. Would her taking the same amount of commute time but not driving make her commute better? If so, it's worth a look. She could read or watch a TV show instead of dealing with horrendous drivers.

You also have to consider that moving may not get you all that much. Arlington, VA is pretty pricey so you would either have to pick PG county in MD south of DC or NoVA which will still give you horrible commutes to find a similar house that meets your requirements.
We just moved from PG to northern Calvert which added about 5 mins to her commute.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am

At some point, something will have to give. Either children will enter the picture (weren't mentioned by OP), or you will simply grow older and tire of it--at some point.

My husband and I used to commute one hour in opposite directions. Once we had children, it was just too difficult. All we did was work and commute. Everything felt extremely rushed---trying to commute to and from work, tend to a baby, get dinner, etc. It just wasn't working. We eventually moved closer to his job, and things have worked well over the years. He has a 5 minute commute which he enjoys.

I have tried to offer advice to our children that it's best to work close to your job. I was happy our college-age son had a job in high school/college where it took him around 4 minutes to get to work. That way, if any car problems arose, he could walk it. Our other son loves to drive, so a lengthy commute would pose no problem for him.

After I typed the above, I further think it depends on the personality of the driver. Some people love to drive and don't mind the long commutes. I couldn't do it now being a few decades older.

Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 am

1 hour each way consistently seems to be the magic number for me, no matter what form the commute takes. I've had commutes of that duration in free flowing traffic, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and public transit. 1 hour was tolerable.

I had a commute in a mix of free flowing and bumper-to-bumper that was 1.5 hours, and that for some reason was intolerable and I had to quit that job.

I have not had a consistent public transit commute going over 1 hour. But occasionally delays would make it go closer to 1.5, and that felt pretty rough.

This is more than likely some kind of mental block more than anything, but yea, 1 hour would be my personal absolute upper limit.

I wonder if there have been studies done on this topic, seeing how long commutes can get before they start affecting people's health and overall happiness and such.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 am

I wonder if there have been studies done on this topic, seeing how long commutes can get before they start affecting people's health and overall happiness and such.
that's what I worry about. I mean, she's early 30s but already starting to develop some health problems and it's at like on one hand the money is great, but that's a terrible way to live.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:41 am

" but her commute is 65-75 mins each way"

For the Bay Area - that is considered a short commute. My old commute is now over 2 hours.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Depends how you are getting there. If I were behind the wheel of a car, I wouldn't be able to tolerate any distance further than that which could be walked, at which point I'd just walk.

For total travel time, I currently am at 50-60 minutes door to door which I'm ok with. That's 20-25 minutes of biking, 5 minutes of waiting, 20-25 minutes on an express bus, 5 minutes walking. Both of our jobs are within 20-25 minutes of downtown on an express bus. We've considered moving downtown within a block of the express busstop, but doesn't seem worth it as the 20-25 minute bike ride counts as exercise. Mainly these thoughts come about during the 6 months of winter when there is an occasional arduous bike journey. We may still move downtown after having children depending on daycare.

In another city I used to ride the commuter train, and with parking and shuttles that was 1.5hrs each way. That was too long, despite working/reading on the train. I moved to another city because of that commute.
Last edited by Cycle on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 am
What's your limit?

Currently the wife make almost 1.75x what I make, but her commute is 65-75 mins each way most days due to traffic, not distance. DC metro area going from MD to VA.
I wouldn't be able to handle this for more than about 3 months before I'd go crazy. After having a commute of 20-25 minutes for the past 2 years, I think my limit is probably about 40-45 minutes each way, especially now that I have kids. Commutes have a tremendous impact on your happiness.

AllAboard

Post by AllAboard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Just something to note about commute time:

Let's say commute one way is 70 minutes, so 140 minutes total each day (2 hours 20 minutes).

If you get a job closer to home and say your commute is 30 minutes one way, then your total is 60 minutes (1 hour).

So, technically, by staying at the longer commute, you're not losing 2 hours 20 minutes each day, you would be losing 1 hour 20 minutes. I'm not advocating for the long commute, just saying that this is one thing to consider. The only way to save the full 2 hours 20 minutes is to work from home.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

The worst job I had post-college had a commute time of 1.5-2 hrs in DC traffic going from MD to VA. After that job, I vowed never to do that again regardless of pay. No job is worth my time which I can never get back. After that, I only will accept jobs with a 30 minute commute or less. Luckily I found a job that is literally 5 minutes away with two stop lights and one of them is a school bus depending on when I leave in the morning.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I commute over 80 miles each way. It takes me 1.25 hours in the morning, and 1.25-1.75 hours in the afternoon depending on traffic. I've been doing this for nearly 3 years. Honestly, it sucks. Spending 3 hours of your life in the car every day is mentally draining. Even though my job is mostly stress-free, my commute has been slowly destroying my soul.

In the morning there's never any traffic, so I can just cruise along at 75 MPH or so. The commute doesn't start to wear on me until about the 1 hour mark. I listen to music, NPR radio, or podcasts. I'd actually describe the first 30 minutes or so as good decompression time.

Traffic is the game changer. If I'm sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes it ruins my mood and makes the rest of the drive that much worse.

I have exactly 50 days left of this hellish commute. Then we're moving to a town where my commute will be 45 minutes each way; zero traffic in the morning or afternoon. I'll reclaim 60-90 minutes of my life every day right there. I'm sure it will greatly improve my quality of life.

kappy

Post by kappy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 pm

30-35 minutes is where I've landed in my last couple employers. I did do a year and a half of 55 mile/1-1.5 hr each way when I switched jobs before moving. That got tiring after a couple months. By the end, I couldn't wait to move.

I've found that I am much more willing to drive longer if there is little traffic. I'd rather drive 30 minutes on the highway than 15 minutes to get 3 miles down the street (but I am a car guy...)

maroon

Post by maroon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Clearly this is a highly individualized preference, and thus I think soliciting a bunch of opinions isn't necessarily helpful. That said, I think a daily one-way commute of over 1.25 hours is too much. Right now, my one-way commute is 2 hours, but I only drive in to work twice a week. The rest of the time I work from home. And I really enjoy my job, so the commute is tolerable.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm

I live on the NJ Coast and commute by ferry to downtown NYC. It's an expensive, but pleasant commute. My drive is 10 mins to the ferry, 5 mins to park/walk to the boat, and then a 45 min boat ride, followed by a 5 min walk to the office.... so all in, each way every day is 1:05-1:15. It's long, but the boat ride is usually enjoyable, TV's on, coffee/bagels in the morning, bar and outdoor area for the evening commute... actually a decent social scene on the way home.

The boat takes me past Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and great views of downtown NYC... routinely passing cruise ships and fishing boats, it's pretty cool. The amount of time total stinks, but with 2 young kids at home, and a pretty busy/intense job at times, the 45 mins on the ferry is somewhat of a retreat.

bgf

Post by bgf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 am
My max is 10 miles each way.
username checks out.

also, i don't make the kind of salary i would if i lived in the closest large city (Atlanta), but i also have the benefit of a 10 minute max commute to my daughter's daycare, which is just a few blocks away from where i work. i can eat lunch at home most days, which is really nice over the summer as my wife is a teacher.

it is really hard for me to imagine having a stressful commute, especially with a baby in the carseat... i don't know if i could do it.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Health+affects+of+long+commute

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm

She's going to start looking for another job that is at least a little closer, which will most likely be DC since there are no jobs in our county at even half the pay.

At the very least if she finds something somewhat comparable she can use that as leverage to work from home again on Fridays, and if not, then start a new job.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm

jehovasfitness wrote:
What's your limit?

exact same thread

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=242607

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm

F150HD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm
jehovasfitness wrote:
What's your limit?

exact same thread

nope, that one wasn't created by me :P

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 pm

My commute is 30-40 minutes each way (24 minutes if 0 traffic). It's killer (to me) because I'm away from my wife and kids longer. We used to live <=15 minutes from the office on city streets, but we couldn't afford a house in the neighborhood.

I would not do any longer, but I also wouldn't move JOBS to get closer to home. The salary and benefits premium is way too good. I try to use the time as an unwind/decompression, and I've really been working on not getting anxious about the drive/traffic. That has helped a ton, but I'm still in the early stages of the process.

Flux

Post by Flux » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Anything over 30 minutes is a deal breaker for me. Luckily my current commute is 5 minutes. It has a positive huge impact on my life. Less stress from the traffic. Another huge win is being able to go home for lunch. It's a great mid-day break to go home and take off my shoes and kick back for a few bit. Saves money too as I'm less likely to eat out for lunch.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Flux wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Anything over 30 minutes is a deal breaker for me. Luckily my current commute is 5 minutes. It has a positive huge impact on my life. Less stress from the traffic. Another huge win is being able to go home for lunch. It's a great mid-day break to go home and take off my shoes and kick back for a few bit. Saves money too as I'm less likely to eat out for lunch.
Yep, when I lived 20 mins each way, I could run home real quick if needed and be back in time... now I'm 25-30 mins and just can't be realistically done

Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Another interesting anecdotal data point I'll add. My spouse had a job with about a 1 hour driving commute each way. They let her work from home up to 3 days a week. So her total commute time per week could be just 4 hours. We later moved closer to her job, her commute became 30 minutes each way. She voluntarily decided to go into the office 5 days/week. So that's 5 total hours/ per week. Despite going into the office 5 days/week AND spending more time total per week in a commute, she much preferred the latter. This is probably highly subjective and a total YMMV thing.

bluejello

Post by bluejello » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Extremely personal decision. Ten years ago, my parents chose to move to a big, beautiful house they loved that also meant increasing their commutes from 25 min to 1 hr commute each way to work (2 hrs each day). They are also in the MD VA DC area. They seem happy with this decision, although my father was also very happy to retire last year!

My husband and I just moved to a new city, and we chose the smaller, older, not as nice house with a 5-minute commute. We also tested the commute to a bigger and nicer place in the suburbs, but doing that 45-minute drive in traffic just ONCE left us both saying “no way in hell”.

In your case I would definitely chose to move closer to DC, but to each their own.

cantos

Post by cantos » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:10 pm

F150HD wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
What's your limit?

exact same thread

That's what I said! OP seems rather proud to replicate threads.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

cantos wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:10 pm
F150HD wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
What's your limit?

exact same thread

That's what I said! OP seems rather proud to replicate threads.
You seem rather proud pointing out I'm proud

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How Far is too Far, Commuting?

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I merged jehovasfitness's thread into here (started on Page 3), which is a similar discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Yes someday self driving cars that I feel safe enough to take a nap, would be great. Until then, I’ll take my 90 min train commute over a 60 min car commute anytime.

Not hypothetical for me. My employer is considering moving some people to a smaller city without the quality public transportation we have in NYC. Highways have already expanded from 2 to 3 lanes each way, then expanded again 3 to 4 lanes. Can’t imagine driving more than 30 min each way, did that in past, would not drive further if I could avoid it.

3504PIR

Re: How Far is to Far, Commuting?

Post by 3504PIR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 pm
3 hour daily commute to go 5 -7 miles or less to Honolulu on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii.
Gridlock.
Glad those days are over.
j :D
My commute is 15-20 minutes one way from Kailua into Town, which is exactly why we live on the windward side. I would've gone crazy driving from out West or Hawaii Kai even though its more expensive to live in Kailua - its saved me a lot of stress and I love Kailua.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

My final job before retiring was just over 100 miles one way, but that was where I was required to report. I had to go from there (San Leandro) over the Bay Bridge to SF to work, mostly in the financial district all day, then back home, about another 110 miles. It added up to about 5,000 miles a month in a company vehicle. Started driving at 4 am and usually got home around 7 or 8 pm. I was promised that I could work from home 3 days a week. I wasn't supposed to have to work weekends. Both of those promises were never kept.

On salary, great pay, but not worth it. No overtime, no reimbursement of bridge tolls or parking, no Per Diem so no overnight stays. Quit after 4 months. Do I win the horror story contest?

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Lynx310650 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:32 am
You may be interested in checking the first response on page 2 of this merged thread. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=242607&start=50#p3801171
the more you drove, the dumber you got
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm

I have and its not worth it for me. 2 hrs a day lost in your life if insane.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Prior to this job, I worked from home full time for roughly 10 years. At some point, it stagnated my career as I project myself very well in person. While it helped as I had both of my children during the time when my family needed the flexibility, I found a new job which boosted my career and salary. I now have a 50 min commute which includes dropping off the kids to school all going against traffic. I've found many podcasts which I enjoy listening to. I also get to occasionally work from home and from my boss's office which is 5 miles from my house. Down the road, I can foresee myself finding a job at the same office.

I think key is maintain your marketability and you can increase your chance of finding a job with a shorter commute.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:14 pm

The wife and I are considering a house that would put my commute at 1 hour without traffic, 90 minutes with traffic

That is probably the upper limit that I can stomach for commuting

(House is gorgeous, close to the kids' schools, wife is happy, I can live with a longer commute if the house can offer those features)

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Most of the driving commute times being posted on this thread are insane. I honestly feel bad those who think that spending 1-2 hr plus in a car each day in rush hour traffic driving back and forth to work is an acceptable way to live. Those hours add up to steal away the life you are living...make changes - get a new job, move closer, do something positive asap to get out of that exhausting and soul sucking traffic and your car.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm

40 miles is the limit.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 am

Late to reply and astounded by some answers. I wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes one way. I wouldn't use public transport more than 45 minutes one way. Right now I live 3-6 minutes away from my workplace.

I have no children, which means I don't have to think about school districts. If I prioritized living in a rural place, I could adapt a longer commute. But I don't understand in cities or even towns/townships why people desire to drive past houses they don't live in to get to work. I have rented a sketchy apartment when work was in a checkered area of town, because I don't want to drive 10 more minutes every day to the nicer area. (I have other reasons for doing this, like slowing the march of the new urban crisis.)
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:28 pm

I live in a big city not far from downtown and commute to a close suburb. It is only 11 miles, but it can take an hour. Without traffic (like at 4am) it is a 15 minute ride (all highway). I almost find going such a short distance at a slow pace worse than going further at a faster pace. For me, there are other factors for living in the city like friends, things to do, etc. On the negative for being in the city is rent, crime, schools, traffic, etc. If I work downtown (as I have most of my life), by the time I get to the subway, wait for the train, get to the other end, walk to the office, it is still a 30-45 minute commute even if the train part is only 15 minutes.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm retired now, but I worked for 40 years in a large city, and I lived in six different homes during those 40 years. One home was in an outer suburb with a 32 mile commute each way. Four were in inner suburbs with less than a 10 mile commute. I finally ended up in the city with a commute of less than 5 miles. I concluded that 10 miles of commuting was my absolute limit, but 5 miles was optimal. I would rather live in a small place close to work than in a large home more than 10 miles away. The availability of public transportation has also been important to me. Except for the home in the outer suburbs, all of my homes have been within walking distance of either the bus or subway.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 pm

In 10 yrs, 1-2h commute will be ez with self driving car :D Hope you can wait that long.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

I think it depends on the person. For me, my 35-45min commute is the max. Sometimes I wish I lived a little closer. However, I have coworkers who commute from other states - 1.5 to 2 hours each way! It certainly helps to have a carpool buddy.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm

FootballFan5548 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm
I live on the NJ Coast and commute by ferry to downtown NYC ...
The boat takes me past Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and great views of downtown NYC... routinely passing cruise ships and fishing boats, it's pretty cool. The amount of time total stinks, but with 2 young kids at home, and a pretty busy/intense job at times, the 45 mins on the ferry is somewhat of a retreat.
Never thought I'd be (a tad) envious of someone living/working in the New York area.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 pm

I fly for every job, so...

But, back when I had a "local" job that I drove to daily, it was 15-45 minutes depending on traffic. I wouldn't do any longer than that, period. And that's pushing it.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 pm

I commuted 1.25 miles each way for 32 years. Usually it took less than a song on the radio to arrive at work when I drove. I rode a bike for some of those years. Commuting is soul crushing. I didn't mind driving around in a company car at work all day. Other motorist tended to get out of my way. :)
Lincoln 3 EOW!

ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:03 am

About an 1 hour each way was our commute for years, by choice. And it's one we never regretted.

We enjoyed the areas we lived in so much. It was like coming to a resort town or property and so divorced from work we never brought work stress home or thought about work. For all but one of the locations 20 minutes or so of the drive was "rush hour" traffic (unless there was an accident) and the balance was 2-4 lane roads. Only one of our locations involved a solid hour of miserable traffic and we STILL never regretted our living choice.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 am

Car: More than 20 minutes.
Public transportation*: More than 60 minutes.

*A truly self-driving car would count as public transportation! That could revolutionize commutes, RE, and be environmentally friendly (EV + lightweight + carpool friendly).
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am

All else being equal, commuting should be avoided. However, usually, all is not equal. Living farther away often means less cost due to lower housing expenses, which could lead to retiring earlier. So, the time spent commuting might be earned back later. Also, often the house further away is bigger and more comfortable and may be located in a nicer area with better schools.

A really terrible commute can make a person miserable. However, the tradeoff of living close to work but moving one’s large family into a small home that costs a fortune might not be optimal either. Of course, a person could buy a large house close to work. That might feel the best in the present moment but could result in having to work years longer or lowering one’s quality of life in retirement (or both).

I think balance is best. Personally, I wouldn’t sign on for a commute longer than an hour. I also wouldn’t sign on to live in a tiny house or in a bad neighborhood or have to work too many hours over my lifetime (unless the job is enjoyable and I want to be there).

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 pm

I would avoid a long commute at all costs. Sitting in a car for 2 to 4 hours a day to me borders on crazy but I realize that people do it. I think about commute time as hours at work time. Who wants to work 12 hours per day on a consistent basis. You miss to much of life, if you have children you are going to miss most of their activities.......little league, scouts whatever. My commute was 13 minutes, enough time to relax and nowhere near enough time to be aggravated.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 am

doss wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 am
Yep, self-driving cars will change this, imho. Just think of all the services that will spring up.....you can probably catch a "gym van" where you can work out while the car drives you home or at least to a drop-off point where you can grab your car for the short drive home. Or, how about catch a 30minute nap or so ? Lots of potential.
I disagree. You’re still stuck in a car. I have a walking commute and I don’t care who is driving. I simply don’t want to be in a car. I want to be outside with fresh air and getting exercise. I hate dealing with cars, maintenance, gasoline etc. I grew up in a suburb where life depends on a car and it’s the WORST.