How Far is too Far, Commuting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JF2141

How Far is too Far, Commuting?

Post by JF2141 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Currently I live just over an hour (40 miles) from a wealthy city where the wages for my job are about an average additional $5 an hour. However it would not be worth it to rent in the city due to the high cost of rent. I am wondering if anyone has ever commuted a distance similar to this and if so was it worth their time. Also any additional input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

samsoes

Re: How Far is to Far, Commuting?

Post by samsoes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:22 pm

I commute 44 miles each way to Megacorp in the heart of the rat race in a different state. It's brutal; 3 hours a day in traffic (1 in the morning, 2 in the late afternoon) disproportionately adds to stress. I'm sure if I keep it up that it will significantly shorten my lifespan.

Don't do it.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:29 pm

People only think about the increase pay but there is so much more to this question. The biggest unrealized cost is time and car expenses. The US government guesstimates that car utilization costs about 53.5 cents per mile which should include gas, depreciation, and repair. If you are traveling 40 miles each way or 80 miles per day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, you will be spending $10,700 per year on your car. Also, how much is your time worth. Those number will vary some based on your car. German sports car may be more while a Prius may be less. Also add in the extra time commuting and can you spend it working overtime or on a side project if you really want to utilize this extra hour financially.

To me I would prefer not take employment more than 30 minutes away.

There are some people who will move very close to work so they can walk or ride a bike and get rid of their car completely. Uber/Taxi and car rentals is a much less expensive alternative where a vehicle is required.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

Taspy87

Post by Taspy87 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm

I commute 40 miles to work every day. It is worth it for my boyfriend and I because we carpool (we work at the same place) in his Prius most days. It's also worth it for us because the cost of living is much, much cheaper in our small town compared to the larger town we work in. Some days the drive really gets old, but it's still worth it in the end. My boyfriend is also very good about maintaining our vehicles. We also "hypermile" as best we can in either vehicle. I think as long as you're ok with driving and keep up on car maintenance it makes sense.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 pm

3 hour daily commute to go 5 -7 miles or less to Honolulu on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii.
Gridlock.
Glad those days are over.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: How Far is too Far, Commuting?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:40 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (commuting). I also fixed a typo in the thread title "to Far" to "too Far".

Taspy87, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:45 pm

For 18-months I had a 80-minute/65 mile drive each way to work, by the end I was at my wits end and ready to quit. I actually traded that job for one with a similar length commute, but on a train instead. There is no comparison between working (or reading/watching Youtube videos/posting on boglheads) on a train for 80 minutes and driving for 80 minutes.

If you can do the 40 miles on public transit, I would say go for it. If it involves driving, no way.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:47 pm

I’m dealing with this now. I drive 75 miles one way everyday. I spend about 3.5 hours in my car each day. It’s soul crushing. I’ve been doing it now for 8 months. I can’t move closer because my wife hates commuting more than I do and our home is close to her job. My hope is I only have to do this for a few more months but not likely. I’m likely doing this for another couple of years.
Last edited by gator15 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bstewie

Post by bstewie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:53 pm

IMO it depends on how stressful traffic is for you. I will happily commute and catch up on books in audio format, so it's not completely lost time. When I'm too focused on the drivers around me it is more stressful. Nowadays when commuting I'm in low gear with significant runway in front of me so I'm not aggravated by the constant stop and go.

EDIT: I commute primarily so we can be more centrally located to friends and family, not to afford more (though we do save a little vs. being located near a shorter commute). I would probably be more aggravated if I did it purely to afford more house, etc. I can't put a price on being able to go over to dinner with the parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. anytime we want within 10-15 minutes.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Had a 90 minute each way commute for a while in my younger years. Would never recommend it to anyone. However, that was in a car with only an AM/FM radio. Maybe with all the great podcast content now available, it would be more bearable. But probably not much...

wordsmith11

Post by wordsmith11 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:21 pm

On a typical day I drive just under 40 miles each way which averages 45 minutes in the morning and 53 in the evening, not in a quiet area but happily not in a heavily congested area either (though those options are nearby). I do not mind this level of commute and have been doing it for quite some time. The ability to have flexible hours (helps avoid traffic) and work remotely on occasion helps tremendously. I am also fortunate to be able to drive an enjoyable German car with many creature comforts, which helps (and it costs me nowhere near $10,700 per year :sharebeer ).

Occasionally I am on a train instead with double the commute time but it feels to me about the same. The formula that seems to make sense is an hour in the car is equal to two on a train.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm

I live 75 miles from NYC. We have a good number of folks who work in the city who use the local bus express service (no trains in our area) with stops in midtown and the Wall Street area.

It's a 3-hour daily commute (1.5 hours each way), but you can sleep or catch up on work or entertain yourself (buses have wifi).

While it's not for everybody, you can make a good deal more money in the city when compared to a similar job, locally. And in some cases (for instance those in the entertainment business) a local comparative job isn't even available.

- Ron

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:27 pm

This is of course a question that only you can answer, as the considerations that go into it (e.g., personal financial situation, family, availability of public transit, etc.) are different for everyone. But I think it's worth thinking of it a little more expansively than just in terms of the differences in wage and housing cost, and the cost of commuting. The biggest cost is actually your time (and stress caused by a long commute, particularly if it's sitting in traffic, as opposed to say reading a book on the train). Is it really worth $40 more per day (less after tax) when that comes at a cost of, say, an extra 90 minutes in traffic? After taking out the cost of driving 80 miles, the extra earning is almost nil. It may well be better to work longer hours in the lower-wage location. Alternatively, perhaps by moving to the higher-rent city, you can eliminate the car (or go from a two-car household to just one) by using public transit and ride-sharing, or even walking/biking. Even a paid-off car costs thousands a year to operate, so this can go a long way. I know for some Americans going without a car is unthinkable, but I did it for years in a HCOL area and was able to save only because I'd eliminated a car from my budget. I also had some colleagues who commuted 1.5 to 2 hours one-way, from two state lines away, in order to afford "a bigger house and a yard for the kids." They were always miserable from the commute, and I wondered if the whole family wouldn't have been happier in a smaller house closer to work, maybe without a big yard but within walking distance to a park. Again, these are very personal considerations, but by thinking all of this through, including alternatives you may not have thought of, you might end up better-off financially and happier personally.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:30 pm

I’ve been commuting 40 miles (1 hr to 1.5 hr each way depending on traffic) for 18 YEARS.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:37 pm

I recently entertained a job offer that would have moved my commute from 13 miles a day each way, four times per week, to 50 miles each way, twice a week. One of those ways for the entertained offer could easily be done at a very low traffic hour though.

For me, 50 miles each way would border on too far.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I commuted for a job that was a 70 mile / one hour, ten minutes commute one way. I was paid mileage which was nice but this was too long. My current commute is 20 miles / 30 minutes which is about the maximum I am willing to do unless I had no choice.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:52 pm

It might be of interest for you to look at average commute times by geographic area.

https://project.wnyc.org/commute-times- ... 00/-89.500

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:03 pm

I did this for about 5 years and then quit. Only stayed in it because my husband and I shared the commute. Plus lots of commuter vans. Otherwise, it would be a no.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:52 pm
It might be of interest for you to look at average commute times by geographic area.

https://project.wnyc.org/commute-times- ... 00/-89.500
That is a very interesting info graphic. I live in the 25-30 minute zone which is pretty close to what my actual commute is.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 pm

57 miles each way for me. I work odd hours, so I miss traffic most of the time and it takes about an hour. I don't mind it too much those days. When I do hit some though.. accident, or Friday and everyone heading out of town... it can be 2 plus hours. I would rather drive off a cliff then... at least I'd be moving! :happy

I had the job first, lived closer to work before, moved farther away to be close to my kids, and also got married to someone that lived in the area of the kids. I have been trying to get a job closer to the new home for over a year now, but nothing has worked out. Still one ongoing possibility to work closer. Will see how that goes. If it doesn't work out, looks like I'll be dealing with the commute for years to come.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a long commute as ideal. But, it is doable.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 pm

mortfree wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:30 pm
I’ve been commuting 40 miles (1 hr to 1.5 hr each way depending on traffic) for 18 YEARS.
Do you recommend it? :)

I think it depends on the person. My opinion over 20 miles each way is going to take its toll on quality of life. But if it’s a dream job with great benefits and a company shuttle...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:37 pm

It depends on the person.

I had a job 55 miles/1 hour away for 8 years. Since it was an opposite commute, I was always moving while watching the saps in the opposite lane sitting there without movement. I personally liked the commute. I started it with a Honda CRX-Si which got very good gas mileage. Eventually, I bought a 90 BMW M3 which was much nicer to drive, but I kept driving the Honda about 4 days a week.

Another job I had was only 23 miles away, but heading towards Boston, so usually involved weaving through various back roads, cut throughs and roads with less traffic. It took about an hour 10 minutes. I had that job for 8 years. That also involved driving for my job so in addition to the commute, I'd drive another 20k miles or so to clients. The company paid well in car allowance and mileage. For this, they did have strict requirements on the car I drove. This meant pretty frequent car replacement before it aged out of being acceptable.

I love driving and so never really mind doing long commutes. Presently, I'm 5.2 miles from work and although I still visit clients and have a car plan, I don't have any requirements for the car, so have no excuse that I have to buy a new car every few years anymore.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm

For most of 20 years I have commuted 35-40 miles one way, typically an hour each way give or take. Did I like it? No. Did I get used to it? Yes. I did that because that is where most of the jobs were and for various reasons we didn’t want to move as my wife works 3 miles from home and kids are established in schools.

It helps a lot if you have something to listen to. NPR. Or maybe a podcast.

Edit: for me 45 minutes + with moderate traffic isn’t so bad. When it was well over an hour with lots of stop and go traffic that got pretty tiresome.
Last edited by JBTX on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:10 pm

I did 10 years of 160 Miles (round trip) worth of commuting. Was about 2 hours and 20 minutes in the car each day. It didn’t particularly bother me at the time but after changing roles and going to 100% work from home (except for the 50% Travel), I looked back and couldn’t believe how bad it sucked.

I bought my Honda Fit in 2008 (after wearing out a beater) and it’s still going strong with 300k on the clock. My wife has driven since I started working from home.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm

I commuted to college, 45 minutes each way (in good road conditions) X 4 years. Winter storms could easy double that.

I decided to never do that again, and I average about ten minutes each way. I'd do anything possible to avoid a long commute.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Going to work is bad enough, but to drive and drive takes its toll. Grumpy people at work from daily commutes. Too tired at home to give attention to family. Next thing you don't even know what's going on in your family and you wife is distant. You are never home. Weekends compromised. Too tired. OK, maybe this is extreme, but not too much so.
i think studies have shown a decreased life span too. Sounds like a suburban nightmare movie.
All in all, a commute too far is a big negative on your life.
How far is too far? I think the consensus is 30 minutes.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 pm

The keys are time, not distance, and whether you need to drive in traffic or can take public transit. For ~30 years of my career I lived 15 to 28 miles from the office, but in dense metro areas. Taking public transit (2 jobs) it was usually an hour each way (15 miles) or 1 hour 20 minutes each way (25 miles from NJ to Manhattan via NJ Transit). The 28 mile commute was almost always in a car pool, but that was usually about an hour door to door as well, because we needed to meet up and drop off.

I've known people who said they would never commute more than 15 minutes each way. For the jobs I've had that would either be prohibitively expense, involve lousy schools or neighborhoods I didn't want to live in (never wanted to living in Manhattan, and commutes there can easily be 45 minutes each way on the subway).
De gustibus non est disputandum

jminv

Post by jminv » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm

30 minutes, one-way if I am driving myself. I prefer in the 15-20 minutes range. If I am taking local transportation, I am okay with around 50m-1 hour if it's short-term assignment just because I can read, email, catch up on things, etc that I can't do while driving.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:04 pm

wordsmith11 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:21 pm
On a typical day I drive just under 40 miles each way which averages 45 minutes in the morning and 53 in the evening, not in a quiet area but happily not in a heavily congested area either (though those options are nearby). I do not mind this level of commute and have been doing it for quite some time. The ability to have flexible hours (helps avoid traffic) and work remotely on occasion helps tremendously. I am also fortunate to be able to drive an enjoyable German car with many creature comforts, which helps (and it costs me nowhere near $10,700 per year :sharebeer ).

Occasionally I am on a train instead with double the commute time but it feels to me about the same. The formula that seems to make sense is an hour in the car is equal to two on a train.
Don't forget that the $10,700 includes depreciation. This is the loss of value of your car and how much money, roughly, you should be putting away to buy a new car in cash when this one peters out. You are traveling roughly 20K miles per year which means in 4 years you will have 80K miles. Lets assume you get 28MPG that would mean about 714 gallons of gas .. at $2.25 that is $1607 in gas. Let's assume $500 in repairs, maintenance etc. that is $2107 in operating expense. This leaves $8593 per year in "ownership costs". If you put that much in the bank every year you would have $34,372 in the bank so you would be able to, when your current car hits 80K miles, buy a new car in cash. That would be why they give you that much money because they assume that is what you will do. Most, of course, do not and they just borrow the money. The better way is to save the depreciation in $$$ in ST cash and pay for your next car in cash.

Ways to beat this:

1. Run your car as long as you can.. what this shows is the absolute truth that the longer you run your car the lower the ownership costs. There are two drawbacks: a) At somepoint the curves cross and you will spend too much money on maintenance. If you knew that exact point you could optimize this perfectly but you don't.. all you know is the risk of a large repair occurring generally will be higher the higher the mileage. b) While certainly you could take the chance.. I doubt you want to break down on your way to work too often.

2. Buy a much lower cost car or a relatively newer used car. Of course the drawback here is the longer your commute the more having the new "bells and whistles" in terms of comfort, safety and entertainment is important. While it always amazes me when people with 5 mile commutes want the latest in gizmos it also works in reverse. The longer your commute the more those gizmos matter and are worth it.

3. Hybrid or even electric. Eliminate the $1600 in gas as much as possible.

My guess is, all in, unless you are driving a junker and not accounting for depreciation, you are spending roughly $10K per year on a 80 mile per day commute.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Championship0911

Post by Championship0911 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm

I currently live outside of NYC in NJ. I happen to live less than a quarter mile from my office, so I currently walk as long as it's above freezing outside. However, many, if not most, of my friends work in NYC. We're lucky that we have a ferry that cuts the ride down to 50 minutes one way if you work on or around Wall St. However, it does cost about $8K per year. I've consider jobs in the northern part of the state that would have required driving over an hour each way in really touch traffic. Just to give you an idea of how bad the commute is, the company I interviewed with wanted to offer me a position but was afraid the commute would burn me out within a year. They instead put me in touch with their NYC office. IMO driving is much harder than if you can get on a bus, train or ferry. Good luck!

warowits

Post by warowits » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Designing a life with little commuting should be a high priority for everyone. I am at about 11 minutes one way, and can work from home about 2 days a week. I estimate to go to an hour each way commute I would need a $20,000 raise just to break even in terms of cost/time lost. For me to actually accept such a job an employer would need to offer probably $50,000 more than I get right now, and if I took it I would likely just move to that location. I am glad that I am not in an area where that is a common problem.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 pm

OP, its_too_much :oops:

Our son was the near the last stop before entering I-5 in Seattle which was just 3 miles. He could have several buses pass him because they were full, 40-60 minutes during peak commute hours. He figured that going to work later would still get him into Seattle but without chancing full buses and gridlock traffic.

He has since moved within Seattle and now has multiple ways to get to work, About 20 minutes. <2 miles.

I did 45-80 mile commutes. I missed a lot of son's growing up years
.ymmv
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I did 75 miles each way. It was about an hour and a half each way. I carpooled with 3 others. The only problem was it was in 2 different time zones. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get there and a half hour to get home :shock:

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 pm

I did long commutes when I lived in the SF bay area (20-30 miles, which was 40min to 1.25 hours). When we moved to CO, I had commutes up to 70 miles (northern Colorado Springs to Denver downtown) that would take just over an hour if I commuted in off-hours. When I finally got down to a 20 minute commute, I was amazed at how much better life was. Then when I got my commute down to 6 minutes, I was ecstatic! :D

Now I mostly work from home, but when I do need to commute to the office (2-3 times per month), it's about 2 hours (134 miles each way) but since I get to live in a mountain ski resort town, the tradeoff is worth it.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Depends on the type of drive.

I drive 23 miles through the countryside to my Megacorp. No highway. Used to drive 55 miles around Philly. Never again.

raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 pm

30 min is my limit. Not an unbreakable rule, but it would have to really be worth it.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Generally 53 cents a mile is what the cost for your car is according to IRS including maintenance petrol and depreciation.

Your commuting 80 miles a day so your commute costs $40 a day. If you work 8 hours for $5 an hour more than you’d make in the town you live then you’re paying $40 a day to commute to a job that pays you $40 a day more.

Basically you are breaking even financially and losing out in opportunity cost. There are better things to do with your time than sit in a car.

For me anything more than half an hour is just too much time. I have a lot of objectives and things I prefer spending my time on than driving unless it’s a fun drive but not commute

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

i have the option of either driving 33 miles or 57 miles each way.

Sometimes the 33 mile way is way worse for travel time...

I slog through it... once i started to listen to books on tape instead of the news.. it has helped. been doing it for a few years now.. can't/won't do forever.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 pm

It depends.

I had a job where most of the commute was on highways against traffic 45 minutes. It was tolerable.
I had the same 45 minutes local traffic. It was a pain in the butt.

I am in the process of interviewing for a job where the commute will likely be 45-55 minutes a day.
And it is 9/80 which means, I could be away from home 12 hours of each day.

I could probably do the commute for a year or two, but not more than that unless I was able to get one day to work from home.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 pm

How much would an extra 10k per year before taxes and additional commuting expenses/maintenance/depreciation improve your life? No way I would make that trade.

msk

Post by msk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Decades ago I read a study on commuting around London UK and the provision of high speed public transport. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that people tolerate a commute of up to 40 minutes each way quite well, but putting in high speed rail just makes the commuter belt expand in distance, but still at around 40 minutes each way. I.e. high speed public transport does not shorten commuting times since the catchment area for affordable homes expands. My own commute was at around that distance, and I could have tolerated it for many more years. Got transferred to another posting (with only a 10 minute commute :D ) after 3 years. Colleagues who had an hour or longer commutes always seemed to be complaining. Unfortunately they could not move closer in because they would have had to sacrifice the quality of accommodation they had for their families.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Had a full time job that was WFH for about 8 years. At some point I realized that I was getting too complacent and comfortable at home. I started looking for a new job casually and got an offer for 45% more in pay but 35 miles against traffic. It takes me about 45 min to get to work but going 70mph+. Going the other direction for 35 miles would easily be 1.5-2 hours. Makes a big difference.

I occasionally work out of my bosses office which is 10 min away and WFH so I really only go 3 days a week.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Had 2.75-4hr per day commute in Chicago. 2hr of that was on metra most days, other times I had to drive. Did that for 1.5 years.

Moved to mpls, 20-30min commute against traffic. Did that for 9 years.

Last year been biking 20 minutes then riding an express bus 20 minutes... No longer have a car, but wife still does. I get daily exercise, but without the biking it would be more like exercise 3x per week.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Topic Author
JF2141

Post by JF2141 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 pm

Can't thank everyone enough for their insightful responses. I wI'll definitely have to think about this. Also sorry for the spelling error.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

I did a minimum of two hours a day for 20 years. I had no idea how disconnected I felt from my home and community until I stopped. In my opinion, it is not worth it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 pm

No way, that sounds painful for less than 10K per year, after taxes.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that your commute time will vary a lot from day to day depending on the traffic and weather. If you don't have a job where you can regularly show up late then you will need to leave for work earlier than you might normally need to just so that you can be at work on time on a bad commute day. Likewise if you need to be home at a certain time for some reason like picking up a kid from daycare being late on a bad commute day can also be a problem.

One risk with a long commute is that you may be likely to just get takeout food and not cook healthy food very often. You also may not have much time or energy when you get home to be active and get regular exercise. Combined these can be very bad for your health.

The commute may also greatly limit your social life.
JF2141 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm
where the wages for my job are about an average additional $5 an hour.
An alternative would be to work some part time job for two hours a day instead of commuting an extra two hours a day. If you can't find a job with hours that would work for you then you could start up some side business. Between the extra income and saving on the commuting costs you could likely come out ahead.

cantos

Post by cantos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am

4+ hour commute here, from the boonies to urban centre, mostly by train. Includes a short car ride home to/from train station, and walk to/from urban centre train station to work. 50k/yr more than I'd get in my hometown. Is it worth it for the additional income equivalent/more than an average person's salary, and a job that aligns with my abilities better than any job I've had before? You bet.

Some benefits: it forces me to run a daily schedule according to the train. This has been a good thing, making a fairly rigid habit/ritual out of my mornings, as I'm otherwise, by nature, lackadaisacal. It has also forced me to exercise virtually every day during lunch time, at first to maintain health, but now I believe I am in fact even healthier.

I should note I get about 7 weeks worth of combined sick/vacation days which helps a great deal.

beezquimby

Post by beezquimby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 am

Is that 2 hours each way?
cantos wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am
4+ hour commute here, from the boonies to urban centre, mostly by train. Includes a short car ride home to/from train station, and walk to/from urban centre train station to work. 50k/yr more than I'd get in my hometown. Is it worth it for the additional income equivalent/more than an average person's salary, and a job that aligns with my abilities better than any job I've had before? You bet.

Some benefits: it forces me to run a daily schedule according to the train. This has been a good thing, making a fairly rigid habit/ritual out of my mornings, as I'm otherwise, by nature, lackadaisacal. It has also forced me to exercise virtually every day during lunch time, at first to maintain health, but now I believe I am in fact even healthier.

I should note I get about 7 weeks worth of combined sick/vacation days which helps a great deal.

cantos

Post by cantos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 am

beezquimby wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 am
Is that 2 hours each way?
cantos wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am
4+ hour commute here,
Yup. At least.