Xfinity Mobile ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sixtyforty

Xfinity Mobile ?

Post by sixtyforty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 am

Anyone using Xfinity Mobile ? How do you like it ? How does the Wifi Hotspots work ?

I'm thinking of switching from AT&T. Coverage is really poor in my area and the cost is a bit high.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

magellan

Re: Xfinity Mobile ?

Post by magellan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am

I don't use Xfinity Mobile, but I regularly use the wifi hotspots on both my mobile phone and my laptop. In New England at least, the hotspot network is very robust and the service works well for me.

For context, Comcast offers free access to their Xfinity hotspot network to all broadband subscribers with the performance tier level of service or greater. To use the free service, I downloaded an Xfinity app on my phone and I entered my Comcast username/password into it. Now, anytime an Xfinity hotspot is within range, the app automatically connects to it.

Comcast's hotspot network is very robust because by default, most Comcast Internet customers automatically host an Xfinity hotspot node. Customers can turn the feature off if they want, but most don't even know it's there and don't bother. Comcast prioritizes customer traffic over hotspot traffic, so the main cost for customers is the electricity to power up an extra wireless radio on their Comcast provided router (probably $1-3 per year).

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am

magellan wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am
I don't use Xfinity Mobile, but I regularly use the wifi hotspots on both my mobile phone and my laptop. In New England at least, the hotspot network is very robust and the service works well for me.

For context, Comcast offers free access to their Xfinity hotspot network to all broadband subscribers with the performance tier level of service or greater. To use the free service, I downloaded an Xfinity app on my phone and I entered my Comcast username/password into it. Now, anytime an Xfinity hotspot is within range, the app automatically connects to it.

Comcast's hotspot network is very robust because by default, most Comcast Internet customers automatically host an Xfinity hotspot node. Customers can turn the feature off if they want, but most don't even know it's there and don't bother. Comcast prioritizes customer traffic over hotspot traffic, so the main cost for customers is the electricity to power up an extra wireless radio on their Comcast provided router (probably $1-3 per year).
Great info, Thanks. I am a comcast broadband subscriber and was not aware of this.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 am

We switched our 2 lines from ATT to Xfinity last fall, and our mobile bills have dropped from $60-80 to $17.50/mo. Our service at home is also better than it was with ATT. We travel extensively and service has worked fine.

When we switched, they had a promo and we paid only $1 each for 2 LG X Charge phones. Our phones are fine, but when in range of a Xfinity hotspot it doesn't always automatically connect. That could be a reflection of my technical incompetence to properly configuring my phone.

We travel to Europe annually and leave for France next week. That will be our first use of Xfinity service outside the USA.

In Europe, I use my phone off line as a GPS, but turn off voice and data and only connect to wifi. IIRC, with ATT a call in Europe was $1/minute and a text $0.25, and their EU Pachages are way over priced. I just check Xfinity prices yesterday, and in France and most of EU they are $0.10/min for calls and $0.10/text. Since my EU service is now 10% of ATT rates, maybe I can afford to use my phone in Europe? :D

I still will use off-line maps for navigation, and limit any data usage to Wifi.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:38 am

Stay away from the Evil Empire, if at all possible.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 am

Switched from t mobile to this last year. 2 smart phones went from 100/mo to 13.50. We use WI fi everywhere now and use 1-2 gb of mobile data. Network is incredible because it is Verizon, far superior to tMO in my area. If you use lots of mobile data then this may still be a better option. The only thing I'm worried about is it will be much harder to play the internet switching game since they now link my internet service to my phone number but haven't had to worry about it yet.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 am

chessknt wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:05 am
Switched from t mobile to this last year. 2 smart phones went from 100/mo to 13.50.
Curious how your bill is only $13.50 with 1-2GB, since data alone runs $12/1GB. Our 2 lines with 1GB shared data run around $17.50, including tax and fees.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm

OP, there is a previous thread with more information here that a search should find.

PopArt

Post by PopArt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:37 pm

We recently switched to XFINITY Mobile...we posted our experience here, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=241757&p=3787464#p3787464

We also have XFINITY Voice which is an IP based home phone service. One feature that we use when we travel abroad is the ability to call and text using our XFINITY Voice phone number via the XFINITY Connect App...as long as we are connected to Wi-Fi, there are no extra fees or charges to call or text anyone back at home.
"Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” | Keith Haring

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks for all the replies. Went ahead and switched over to XM to give it a try. Program has only been out for 7 months so it's pretty new.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Update:

There's a $250 gift card offer now floating around to switch to them (we received one in the mail). The offer we received ends 3/22/18, in case anyone is interested. I believe the offer is available to anyone who visits an Xfinity Mobile store.

There's just one catch:

The fine print of the offer reads, "requires...purchase of an eligible Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, or Note8 from Xfinity Mobile."

We won't be switching to them until they allow us to bring our much cheaper Android phones.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:36 am

I posted previously that the two LG phones I bought back in September for $1 during the Xfinity promotion have worked well, and we are consistently saving $55-$75/mo since we switched our 2 lines from AT&T. We just returned from 2 weeks in France, and realized an additional benefit. We used to limit our phones to wifi & GPS during our annual European travel, to avoid AT&T's $1/min fees.

Xfinity charges are only 10% of AT&T's in Europe, so we were happy to leave one phone in service during our travel. Our dozen or so calls & texts only racked up about $3 in total charges. Also discovered that texting to Europe from the USA is free in the Xfinity plan. Our total 2 line bill for the last month, including some of this international calling, was only $6.01. Outstanding savings vs AT&T.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:12 pm

We did in fact switch from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile. It's only been a couple of months but costs have been reduced by about 35%. We get better coverage, at least in our area, and new phones. The promo on the iPhones at the time was $200 prepaid Visa card. The Xfinity hotspots work pretty well too. So far we are pleased we made the switch.

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Is this a two year contract and is it an unlocked phone

Onslow

Post by Onslow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm

My wife and I switched to Xfinity Mobile about four months ago and couldn't be happier. We are not heavy cellular data users and as long as we can keep our cell data usage under 100 MB, our monthly bill is $3.90! For two lines with unlimited minutes & text! However, if we were heavy cellular data users, it might be a different story.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:58 am

pablolo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm
Is this a two year contract and is it an unlocked phone
No contract. Unlocked phone.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm

have any Xfinity Mobile customers figured out a way to read and send text messages via web browser? My office is in a closed areas where no cellphones are allowed, but it would be nice to know when my wife forgets and texts me during the work day

gator1

Post by gator1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am

Are the ones having success going into the store and getting the sim card there and activating there?

I'm 45 min from a store. And I've spent 3 months trying to get the sim card. 5 times now (1 time chatting in, 1 time ordering online myself, 1 time calling in to tier 1, 1 time calling in to a tier 2, and 1 time calling in to a manager) and each time I'm told the sim card has been ordered and I will get it within 5-7 business days via Fedex. Plus numerous callbacks with ticket #'s that no one seems to have a clue on how to look up or find any of my other calls or chats. I'm promised call backs that never happen. Im promised rushed delivery that never happens. I've always hated Comcast with everything in me, my internet already is horrible, but I rarely use data so I am all for free phone service. However, I am about to tell Comcast to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. After all these issues, on top of almost daily outages with internet to the point Comcast gave me an entire month free, I'm about to say poo on them. My Verizon bill is $40/mo but I'd rather pay $40 to them then $0-$3 to Comcast. Totally unacceptable.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 am

gator1 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am
Are the ones having success going into the store and getting the sim card there and activating there?

I'm 45 min from a store. And I've spent 3 months trying to get the sim card. 5 times now (1 time chatting in, 1 time ordering online myself, 1 time calling in to tier 1, 1 time calling in to a tier 2, and 1 time calling in to a manager) and each time I'm told the sim card has been ordered and I will get it within 5-7 business days via Fedex. Plus numerous callbacks with ticket #'s that no one seems to have a clue on how to look up or find any of my other calls or chats. I'm promised call backs that never happen. Im promised rushed delivery that never happens. I've always hated Comcast with everything in me, my internet already is horrible, but I rarely use data so I am all for free phone service. However, I am about to tell Comcast to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. After all these issues, on top of almost daily outages with internet to the point Comcast gave me an entire month free, I'm about to say poo on them. My Verizon bill is $40/mo but I'd rather pay $40 to them then $0-$3 to Comcast. Totally unacceptable.

yes the offer I read specifically stated in-store only. I drove 15 minutes to the nearby store, signed in to the wait list....waited about 15 minutes until my name was called...the employee installed new SIM cards into two iPhones (a 5s and a new 8) and I was on my way. You're wasting your time trying to get the offer honored remotely (even though ever other MVNO will mail you a SIM card, Xfinitiy will not).