New Dryer with Issues... Should I return it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

New Dryer with Issues... Should I return it?

Post by mbres60 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:53 pm

At the beginning of December we had delivered to our home a new electric dryer that we bought online at Costco. They were having a terrific black Friday deal that we were able to take advantage of. It included a 2 year warranty and then purchasing with our Costco Visa we received another 2 year warranty (4 years total for nothing additional).

We have been finding fibers stuck in the grooves where the moisture sensor is located. Didn't know where the fibers came from because we didn't notice any pulls in our clothing. We had a repair person come down who ordered a new moisture sensor. After it was delivered they came back and installed it. The same thing is happening again. Did laundry yesterday and almost couldn't get a pair of nylon underwear unhooked from where it was caught. We called Costco who called the manufacturer. No recalls on the machine. A new service call was made for next week.

Our dilemma is that we can return the dryer w/in 90 days. That is in 9 days. Costco no longer sells this machine. The online reviews I read never mentioned this issue. It appears that when the tech comes down it they want to try and replace the part again it will put us over the 90 days (once the part is ordered and they then come back).

Would you replace it with another dryer that will cost a lot more (because the sales just are not as good now)?

Toons

Re: New Dryer with Issues... Should I return it?

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:01 pm

9 days left.
Yes I would return it.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm

I would have returned it before the first service call. I have very little patience for new things that do not work as intended.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm

It appears that you bought a defective unit out of the box.

Return it today.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Return it while you can.

It's not likely to fix itself.

Chances are you can find another machine that suits you, even if with slightly different specs than this one.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm

A defective sensor could be a fire hazard. I would return it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

I am unclear on this point: Does the sensor still operate as intended even though there is lint? Just because the repair person replaced it doesn't mean it was malfunctioning. They may have just done that to say they did something on the service visit or to humor you.

You said "same thing is happening", but the only description of the issue you gave is that you saw lint by the sensor. That tells me nothing about if the sensor works properly. Lint is just a fact of life with dryers. Look at your lint trap after running a single load through the dryer and you'll see that your clothes constantly shed lint even if you don't see anything wrong with the clothes when you pull them out of the dryer.

If the sensor is defective and remains defective after repair, return it. But if the sensor operates properly, then it could just be how the dryer is. Lint gets in all sorts of odd places and clothing occasionally gets caught up in things while tumbling around the dryer (that's why they make garment bags for delicates).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am
I am unclear on this point: Does the sensor still operate as intended even though there is lint? Just because the repair person replaced it doesn't mean it was malfunctioning. They may have just done that to say they did something on the service visit or to humor you.

You said "same thing is happening", but the only description of the issue you gave is that you saw lint by the sensor. That tells me nothing about if the sensor works properly. Lint is just a fact of life with dryers. Look at your lint trap after running a single load through the dryer and you'll see that your clothes constantly shed lint even if you don't see anything wrong with the clothes when you pull them out of the dryer.

If the sensor is defective and remains defective after repair, return it. But if the sensor operates properly, then it could just be how the dryer is. Lint gets in all sorts of odd places and clothing occasionally gets caught up in things while tumbling around the dryer (that's why they make garment bags for delicates).
Yes, "lint happens" in dryers, and it mostly gets caught in the filter, though some does indeed get caught around the edges of the filter/filter opening, etc.

But clothing shouldn't be getting caught regularly. Where is the clothing getting caught? Is it always the same place? Can you feel a rough place there, or a protrusion?

The only "catching" we've EVER had, with many dryers over many decades is a) when clothing gets caught up in itself or other items, or *very* rarely if there is something on the clothing that gets caught on something in the dryer, such as a bra hook.
But this shouldn't be happening often at all. Dryer designers/testers "know about bra hooks", or buttons, etc., and should be designing the equipment such that predictable items are not getting "caught".

If it is just the material itself that is getting caught on some sharp edge, etc., then... that is a defect.

I would *strongly* suggest that you return this before the deadline.
Why would you want to keep it??
You'll be grinding your teeth over this, and perhaps having clothing ruined

There may even be a new model out that you like better.

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 am

Return ASAP.
You paid for new and working perfect out of the box.
j :D

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

Sensor works properly. Fibers are catching on it. It appears smooth. It is very thin and long. Rounded at the top. Not rough at all. In the laundry the other day the underwear was caught on it. Had trouble getting it off without ripping the item. All other loads of laundry we just saw several fibers stuck and we could not get them out.

We are going to look this weekend at dryers. On Costco.com we would have to spend about $250 more than we paid on our black friday deal. We'll check to see what is out there now. This was not a top of the line dryer .... probably a little below midpoint. I don't need all the bells and whistles.

In hindsight I should have looked into this a few weeks ago (part of the 90 days we were away on vacation) but I totally forgot about the 90 day return policy but instead just kept thinking we had a 4 year warranty.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am

Absolutely return it. Anything that doesn't work satisfactorily out of the box should be returned.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Would you replace it with another dryer that will cost a lot more (because the sales just are not as good now)?
Um yes - return it. Strongly recommend Speed Queen.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm

would a simple fix work, like gently filing down the edges of the sensor? Might be easier than dealing with returns.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:09 pm

mbres60 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 am
Sensor works properly. Fibers are catching on it. It appears smooth. It is very thin and long. Rounded at the top. Not rough at all. In the laundry the other day the underwear was caught on it. Had trouble getting it off without ripping the item. All other loads of laundry we just saw several fibers stuck and we could not get them out.
So your concern is less about the operation of the sensor and more about damage to clothing by the sensor. I'll leave that up to you to evaluate whether or not that's a big enough concern to return the dryer. But at least you know it's not a safety/fire risk if the sensor is operating correctly.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:27 pm

We looked around a little bit today. Seems that GE and LG both have the moisture sensors at the bottom front of the machines (GE is on the left while LG on the right). Whirlpool has it on the back of the drum. One review online I read about Whirlpool was that the moisture sensor shredded their towels. One other person agreed and said it happened to them too. :( :(

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm

squirm wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 pm
would a simple fix work, like gently filing down the edges of the sensor? Might be easier than dealing with returns.
This is the thought that also occurred to me - channeling your inner 1940 midwest farmer. A simple dressing with a fine metal file may solve the issue completely.
It's the truth - I made it up myself! .....|..... "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes, I'd return it. I have made too many mistakes by lacking the energy to return things and just hoping they would sort of fix themselves with time, or that the problem that only happened twice might not happen again, or that I'd get used to it.

Only other day I donated a couple of expensive waterproof boots that didn't quite fit right, that I just didn't like walking in, that I'd kept because during the return period I'd found that if I walked five miles in them, they didn't actually hurt my feet--it's just that I felt uncomfortable all the way... and so I almost never used them.

If you just feel uneasy about something, or you've lost trust in it, or you just don't like it, and you can return it--return it while you can.

Yes, it sucks having to start the search process all over again.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.