Favorite socks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
z91

Favorite socks?

Post by z91 »

I need to buy some new socks. Every time I do, I end up sorely disappointed. I simply want moisture wicking, ankle high, simple style socks that are good quality. Ideally they would be all of the same color so I wouldn't have to waste time matching them up.

The two favorites I have are:
1) Champion socks from Costco about a decade ago. They had white socks with very minimal branding on them, and they were of excellent quality. They stopped selling them, and I did find some similar Champion ones from Costco a few months ago which I bought a few pairs. They weren't as good as the past, but the only thing that bothered me were they were all in different colors! I spend time matching up the socks and find this a complete waste of my time. Costco stopped selling these too very recently.
2) Darn Tough socks. They are expensive, but they are very good quality. Wool makes my feet warmer than I'd like though, and the material is a bit too rough for me.

Hanes and Fruit of the Loom always leave me disappointed. Same with Russell Athletic.
dm200

Re: Favorite socks?

Post by dm200 »

My wife does not fully cooperate, but my goal is to have all socks (except for going to the gym) be the same. That way they cannot be mixed up.

Same for all the gym socks being the same.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Gold-toe ACRYLIC socks in whatever style you want. The point is ACRYLIC which is why I am capitalizing it. Get black color and white color. Done.

Acrylic is the synthetic fiber closest to wool. Like wool, it will keep your feet warm, but it is soft. Unlike cotton though, it will dry quickly.

You will have to read the label carefully because acrylic socks look just like cotton socks, except they are softer and can be cushier. They are inexpensive, too.

I see they call them "Fluffies" nowadays, but still check the content label.
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Toe-Fluffie ... B0002TVWOC

I have the ankle-high ones, too.

I never wear wool socks anymore after using acrylic socks. "Orlon" is a brand-name for acrylic, so Orlon socks are good, too.

One more thing: acrylic is NOT polyester NOR is it nylon and it certainly ain't cotton. Sales clerks won't know the difference and socks may get mixed up on the racks, so always always always look at the label if buying in a store.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I like wool socks. Breatheable and warm And very expensive. Love , love, love.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I like the Darn Tough socks

I have them in a few different thicknesses
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Smartwools
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

marti038

Post by marti038 »

For running: Brooks Training Day or Race Day. Very tough.

For everything else: smartwool, but they are expensive.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

RDFN.

Oh, you said "Socks."

I wear whatever my wife buys at Costco!

JT
ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD »

Check out SmartWool brand socks. You can find deals on Socks Addict. Length goes from no show all the way to knee high, and fabric weight from ultra light to extra heavy.

If wool is making your feet hot, you're probably using socks that are too thick. Ultra light are good even exercising outdoors in the summer time. Note that the very thin ones won't last as long as the thick ones, but I get a couple years out of most of mine. The medium thickness socks for cooler weather shows no signs of aging after several years of heavy use. Some of the specialty ones will have thicker bottoms for cushioning when walking/hiking but thin uppers to keep you cool.

If you find wool socks are too rough, you're buying the wrong wool socks. I tried on a pair of my white cotton athletic socks recently, and they were much rougher than my wool socks. Wool has come a long way.

Plenty of other brands in this space as well that I like, but SmartWool is a good first look.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

I tried getting a bunch of identical socks. Differential fading made sorting them more difficult. If the socks are distinct colors I can use the O(n) postmans sort. If they are all slightly different shades of gray I need to use a O(n log(n)) comparison sort.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

For the gym:
- Nike Dryfit
For hiking, weekends, general use:
- Wigwam or Thorlo (available on Amazon - both brands are great options - many styles/colors/weights/types). I have some that are heavier weight (for winter) and other lighter-weight pairs for spring and summer. Some hiking and some crew. Some ankle length and some crew length. They seem to last a long time.
Dress socks:
- Haven't found a favorite here yet...
Last edited by SmileyFace on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I have been wearing Carhartt Crew Work Socks. I bought a bunch of them, same color (black) at one time. Here's for example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051 ... UTF8&psc=1

When most of them wears out, I'll get another set. I hate missing socks or trying to find the match. I put my dirty socks separately and wash them myself. My spouse thinks I am obsessed with socks.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

dm200 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 pm My wife does not fully cooperate, but my goal is to have all socks (except for going to the gym) be the same. That way they cannot be mixed up.

The great sock conspiracy. :annoyed

It seems whenever I go to buy better quality socks, they always come in 3 packs with three different styles / colors, so you end up with all different socks. Then, in time, some go missing, and i end up with a pile of perfectly good unmatched socks. How nice it would be to just be able to buy a supply of socks all the same color / pattern.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

My nephews solve the odd sock and sock sorting problem by wearing socks that do not match.

I'm not sure if this is a teen fashion thing, if they are lazy, or if they are brilliant.
PDXAussie

Post by PDXAussie »

Bombas are by far my favourite socks. https://bombas.com/

The added bonus is they donate a pair to homeless shelters for every pair you buy.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

Darn Tough. I have them for both dress socks, and a handful of wool pairs for hiking/yardwork. They are indestructible.

For gym, I buy a couple of packs of Under Armour socks at Dicks. They usually get worn out after 3-4 years, then I replace
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 »

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

z91 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm 1) Champion socks from Costco about a decade ago. They had white socks with very minimal branding on them, and they were of excellent quality.
Don't know if these are "Champion" socks, but I just bought several pairs of white socks from Costco a few months ago, and I love them. I have about ten pairs of them in my wardrobe, they are sturdy and comfortable.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

My uncle just wore hand knitted wool socks up until his demise a few years ago. I'm a whatever socks costco has when I run out type.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I love Darn Tough socks! Worth every penny to me.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

I have some Duluth Trading ankle socks that I've been wearing with my work boots, those are pretty decent.

For everything else, Smartwool. Have a pair of no-shows on right now with my tennies, and I have the thin and medium dress socks, too. Expensive, but comfortable.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

World's Softest Socks.

I am very fussy with the type of socks I wear. I have been wearing the World's Softest Socks - Classic Collection - for 30+ years. I hate socks that keep falling down.....these do not....... :sharebeer

https://worldssoftest.com/
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

jebmke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pmSmartwools
+1 The REI smart wool socks are some of the best. I use them with an out rag wool sock from Murdock's for hiking.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

For regular day to day: I buy socks from Costco - usually whatever has the right price.
When I am hiking or just all day walking around NY; I usually wear the Darn Tough or Smart Wool.
They are quite expensive, but they last forever. I prefer at least 50% Merino Wool.

I wait until REI has them on sale or Paragon. Last time I bought they were 25% off for purchasing 3 pair.
I've seen as much as 45% on leftover sales and i try to scoop up a bunch. But i can go years
without needed any new pair.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Sounds to me as if you simply have not found the right wool socks to suit you. Maybe the ones you have tried are too thick and rough. There are plenty of wool socks that are thin and soft. Look for ones made for daily wear rather than for sports like hiking and skiing.

Wool breathes well and wicks moisture so wool socks keep the feet comfortable even in hot and humid conditions--that's why they are so popular with hikers. Most wool socks have other fibers in addition to the wool to help with durability and comfort.

Smartwool socks are comfortable but they seem to wear out faster than some other brands.
JustBill

Post by JustBill »

Daneli. I usually buy them from footwearetc.com.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

livesoft wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 pm Gold-toe ACRYLIC socks in whatever style you want. The point is ACRYLIC which is why I am capitalizing it. Get black color and white color. Done.

Acrylic is the synthetic fiber closest to wool. Like wool, it will keep your feet warm, but it is soft. Unlike cotton though, it will dry quickly.

You will have to read the label carefully because acrylic socks look just like cotton socks, except they are softer and can be cushier. They are inexpensive, too.

I see they call them "Fluffies" nowadays, but still check the content label.
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Toe-Fluffie ... B0002TVWOC

I have the ankle-high ones, too.

I never wear wool socks anymore after using acrylic socks. "Orlon" is a brand-name for acrylic, so Orlon socks are good, too.

One more thing: acrylic is NOT polyester NOR is it nylon and it certainly ain't cotton. Sales clerks won't know the difference and socks may get mixed up on the racks, so always always always look at the label if buying in a store.
Do "Fluffies" work as a quick-dry travel sock, something you wash in the hotel sink at night and have ready to wear the next day? Or at least by the day after the next day, worst case? We bought a bunch of SmartWool socks (REI sale price) and like them for comfort but haven't found them to be particularly fast drying (yes, better than cotton but that's a low bar)
koditten

Post by koditten »

I've been wearing alpaca wool socks this last year. I'm simply amazed. They pull moisture away from your feet rapidly.

I'm going to try them in warmer weather to see if they work as well with hot, sweaty feet. I got a suspicion that they will work great.
black jack

Post by black jack »

z91 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm I need to buy some new socks. Every time I do, I end up sorely disappointed. I simply want moisture wicking, ankle high, simple style socks that are good quality. Ideally they would be all of the same color so I wouldn't have to waste time matching them up.

The two favorites I have are:
1) Champion socks from Costco about a decade ago. They had white socks with very minimal branding on them, and they were of excellent quality. They stopped selling them, and I did find some similar Champion ones from Costco a few months ago which I bought a few pairs. They weren't as good as the past, but the only thing that bothered me were they were all in different colors! I spend time matching up the socks and find this a complete waste of my time. Costco stopped selling these too very recently.
2) Darn Tough socks. They are expensive, but they are very good quality. Wool makes my feet warmer than I'd like though, and the material is a bit too rough for me.

Hanes and Fruit of the Loom always leave me disappointed. Same with Russell Athletic.
In what way do Hanes and FotL leave you disappointed?

I love wool socks, but it grieves me to throw away the wool, and I wear holes in them pretty quick -- Kirkland Trail Socks from Costco & Smartwool socks in less than a year, Darn Tough lasted a couple of years.

My favorite kind of sock for running, cycling and general casual wear is similar to your description: ankle high, simple style (which for me means no cushioning, just thin fabric), moisture wicking. Such a sock is, as you indicate, hard to find. The ones I've settled on, for a combination of price, comfort, durability, and less regret in throwing them away when worn out, are women's socks that I buy at Target. I think they are Hanes; they come in packs of 3 or more, thin synthetic fabric, ankle high, in black or white, no cushioning. I wear two layers of these for running, cycling, and general casual wear in warm weather. In cold weather I wear one pair of these under Kirkland Trail socks or similar; for work I wear a pair under something like Gold Toe dress socks.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
FraggleRock

Favorite socks

Post by FraggleRock »

TxAg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pmI like the Darn Tough socks
Me too.
Purchase from SocksAddict.com
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 am Do "Fluffies" work as a quick-dry travel sock, something you wash in the hotel sink at night and have ready to wear the next day? Or at least by the day after the next day, worst case?
Definitely. Not the cotton fluffies, but the acrylic fluffies. Here is a trick for drying faster, too:

Squeeze socks to get the easy water out. Then lay socks flat (and any other items to dry) on a dry cotton towel. Roll up the towel all the way, so both sides of items are touching the towel. Twist squeeze the towel roll as much as you can to transfer water from items to cotton towel. (Variation: If you don't have a lot of items, fold towel over them before rolling up and twisting.) Unroll towel and you will find towel moist and your socks practically dry, but they will dry easily overnight when hung up.

I do this when cycle touring and have my jersey, shorts, and socks dry. Gym shorts and shirts like Nike Dryfit synthetics will also dry overnight with this method. This method will also help wool socks and sweaters to dry faster, too.

The moist cotton towels will not dry overnight.

I think that folks in this thread who love wool socks just have never tried the acrylic ones.

If you want a fast drying travel towel, then a microfiber towel is superb. I'll save my microfiber towel uses for another thread.
spitty

Post by spitty »

I picked these up at Costco couple months ago. Very comfortable and great price but only come in black:

https://www.costco.com/Weatherproof-Men ... 62051.html
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

spitty wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 am I picked these up at Costco couple months ago. Very comfortable and great price but only come in black:

https://www.costco.com/Weatherproof-Men ... 62051.html
That's neat how the ad copy says "Wool blend", but the sock is half acrylic, but does have some wool as the third ingredient in it, too.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

My favorite are from a brand called Green Treat. They are made of a bamboo blend and are super soft. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a web presence so I can only find them here and there at TJ Maxx or Marshall's.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Carhartt's Force line of socks or Wigwam's Ultimax line. High quality, long lasting, absorb odors & moisture. American made to boot :D
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Socks.. . and shoes . . are the "achilles heel" for me because my Part-Hawaiian feet are so wide. And, wool makes my skin itch.
I've tried Thorlo's but they are very pricey.
Are good socks supposed to cost $15-$20 for just 1 pair?

Walmart and Costco fair don't seem to last very long or stay up (saggy baggy frumpy).

Some good suggestions here. I'll check them out.
Thanks everyone.

Anyone else have wide feet?
I should post a thread on the struggle to find shoes and socks for wide feet.

Also been searching for over knee or thigh high warm socks to keep my bad knees warm.
No success. Any suggestions?
18 degrees this morning outside.

aloha,
jim :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dcb

Post by dcb »

Gnirk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm I love Darn Tough socks! Worth every penny to me.
Another endorsement for Darn Tough socks. I like wool socks for comfort but do not get much wear out of most brands. On my feet, Darn Tough wears longer than SmartWool. Plus, Darn Tough socks have a lifetime warranty for wear that I have taken advantage of a few times.
dcb
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dcb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 am
Gnirk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm I love Darn Tough socks! Worth every penny to me.
Another endorsement for Darn Tough socks. I like wool socks for comfort but do not get much wear out of most brands. On my feet, Darn Tough wears longer than SmartWool. Plus, Darn Tough socks have a lifetime warranty for wear that I have taken advantage of a few times.
dcb
Do the Darn Tough Socks have a lot of padding in the heel and front part?

aloha,
j :D
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

These Goldtoe socks are the best I've had. Last forever, almost, and a good value. I use them for walking, biking, jogging etc. Warm in winter, comfortable in summer.
http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-297 ... -socks.jsp
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am
dcb

aloha,
Darn Tough has various criteria for selecting socks - one is the degree of cushioning you require.

https://darntough.com/collections/tactical
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Rob5TCP wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am
dcb

aloha,
Darn Tough has various criteria for selecting socks - one is the degree of cushioning you require.

Outstanding!
Thanks for the link and the help.

Lifetime warranty meaning when they wear out?

j
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I am pretty much out of socks that i use. I have to buy size 13+ which limits selection. I prefer thinner style casual/dress socks, typically navy blue that I could wear with jeans or dockers. I just cannot find them on amazon and many places online. I have a dozen pair of black gold toe but I just don’t like the feel of those socks.
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

darn tough!. I've been through them all. Carhartt, smartwool, wigwam etc.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

dm200 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 pm My wife does not fully cooperate, but my goal is to have all socks (except for going to the gym) be the same. That way they cannot be mixed up.

I do the same. Except that most of the time I wear my gym socks to work and stop by the gym on the way home. It is rare that I wear socks that are not gym socks- occasionally on the weekend. So most of my socks when coming out of the dryer go in one pile and into one drawer unsorted.

gasdoc
mouses

Post by mouses »

Wigwam.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JBTX wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 pmI have a dozen pair of black gold toe but I just don’t like the feel of those socks.
Gold-toe is a brand and they make at least a dozen different kinds of socks from all fibers. There are about 10 kinds of gold-toe socks that I would never buy including the cotton ones, the polyester ones, the nylon ones, .... It took me a while to train my spouse and kids to buy me acrylic socks, but that's what they do now.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:08 am
Rob5TCP wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am ...Darn Tough has various criteria for selecting socks - one is the degree of cushioning you require.

Outstanding!
Thanks for the link and the help.

Lifetime warranty meaning when they wear out?

j
From their website: (emphasis mine)

How does your warranty work?

In a nutshell, if you wear a hole in them, we will replace them free of charge, for life. Our socks are guaranteed to be the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you can buy. If for some reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase, visit our Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee and fill out our online warranty form.
-
What does your warranty cover?

Basically anything and everything. If they are not the most comfortable, durable, best fitting socks you have ever owned return them to us for another pair. Things that generally are not covered—disappeared in the dryer, the dog ate them, too close to camp fire, theft by friend or foe, etc., etc. However all claims made in good faith will be considered. Please note, socks purchased as seconds or irregulars are not covered by our warranty.
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

j0nnyg1984 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 pm I have some Duluth Trading ankle socks that I've been wearing with my work boots, those are pretty decent.

For everything else, Smartwool. Have a pair of no-shows on right now with my tennies, and I have the thin and medium dress socks, too. Expensive, but comfortable.
+1, I live my Merino blend socks from Duluth trading. Glad someone else has their stuff. I'm a complete DTC addict, I've replaced almost all my clothes with their stuff.

These are what I have: https://m.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/ ... 61520.aspx

Got them on a 30% off sale and bought multiple pairs so got them for about $7/pair.