Any good deals on Samsung Note 8?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Any good deals on Samsung Note 8?

Post by sunny_socal »

I'm shopping for a new phone, my Note 3 has some kind of bug where an SMS goes to the wrong person. (I've tried everything)

So I'm looking for this:

- Note 8
- US version
- Black
- Unlocked

Anyone buy one recently? There was a black friday deal on Amazon for $799 but that's long gone. Best now seems to be $923 from Amazon :(
madbrain

Re: Any good deals on Samsung Note 8?

Post by madbrain »

Unfortunately, if you just want to buy the unlocked phone in full, Samsung makes it very difficult to get a good deal.

If you have any use for more than one phone, I think the best deal on the Note 8 has been the buy one get one deal from T-Mobile. You have to buy the device on installment plan, but they will unlock it after you pay off the balance in full, which you can either do right away or later on when you receive the rebate card (I waited).

There are a lot of hoops to jump through, enough that it may or may not be worth it for you.
After my husband's Galaxy S7 edge got stolen in December, we used this deal. He upgraded to an S8+. I also took the opportunity to upgrade my Note 4 to a Note 8. The Note 8 and S8+ were the same price - $820 + tax each.

We were already T-Mobile customers, but we are on an older, less inexpensive plan which costs only $120/month net for 4 lines. The new T-mobile ONE plan would have cost about $40 more per month. We didn't want to switch plan.

What we did was open a brand new T-mobile account in my husband's name, buy the two devices, activate 2 "dummy" lines of service that we did not use, and remove the SIM cards from them. We only used them one time per billing period (to do a speed test, make a phone call, and send one SMS) since we were told T-Mobile checks for activity on each line before they will send the rebate.

We then waited for the $820 rebate card to come - which arrived about 6 weeks later, at which point we paid off the device, had them unlocked by T-mobile, and closed this second T-mobile account, all on the same day.

Total out-of-pocket cost for the two devices was $1284.99 including the couple months of T-Mobile ONE service that we did not use for 2 lines.
We also had the Wells fargo cell phone insurance pay $600 for the stolen S7 edge, and I sold my Note 4 for $165.
So, all in all, we ended up paying $519.99 net to upgrade to our current two devices. We also paid another $50 for SIM cards - one to replace the stolen SIM card for my husband's real number, and one for myself as the micro SIM card in my Note 4 did not fit in the Note 8 which takes a nano SIM. But T-mobile applied a $25 credit to our account to pay for the stolen SIM, so we really only paid for one SIM.

I heard afterwards that there was a Costco offer that was even better, involving a $130 Costco rebate card, which could have saved us some more.

Sadly, my Note 8 screen just broke a couple days ago . It fell from the nightstand onto hardwood floor during the night. I think one of the cats may have pulled the charging cord. I just had it repaired today, which cost me $272. Hope Wells Fargo will pay that claim too (I already filed for it).
Wells fargo cell phone insurance is free if you pay your cell phone bill in full on their card. They will only allow up to 2 claims per year.
We each have a no-fee Wells fargo credit card in our name. I just switched our T-mobile bill to my husband's card for next month in case we have any more cell phone issues. We only got the WF credit cards because of free insurance, and the small signup bonus (about $150 worth of travel per card).
darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 »

They run some nice deals if you have a recent phone to trade in

I got a note 8 from Samsung directly (blue, unlocked) for $400 off ($550 paid) by trading in my old broken pixel 1
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

madbrain wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 pm Unfortunately, if you just want to buy the unlocked phone in full, Samsung makes it very difficult to get a good deal.

If you have any use for more than one phone, I think the best deal on the Note 8 has been the buy one get one deal from T-Mobile. You have to buy the device on installment plan, but they will unlock it after you pay off the balance in full, which you can either do right away or later on when you receive the rebate card (I waited).

There are a lot of hoops to jump through, enough that it may or may not be worth it for you.
After my husband's Galaxy S7 edge got stolen in December, we used this deal. He upgraded to an S8+. I also took the opportunity to upgrade my Note 4 to a Note 8. The Note 8 and S8+ were the same price - $820 + tax each.

We were already T-Mobile customers, but we are on an older, less inexpensive plan which costs only $120/month net for 4 lines. The new T-mobile ONE plan would have cost about $40 more per month. We didn't want to switch plan.

What we did was open a brand new T-mobile account in my husband's name, buy the two devices, activate 2 "dummy" lines of service that we did not use, and remove the SIM cards from them. We only used them one time per billing period (to do a speed test, make a phone call, and send one SMS) since we were told T-Mobile checks for activity on each line before they will send the rebate.

We then waited for the $820 rebate card to come - which arrived about 6 weeks later, at which point we paid off the device, had them unlocked by T-mobile, and closed this second T-mobile account, all on the same day.

Total out-of-pocket cost for the two devices was $1284.99 including the couple months of T-Mobile ONE service that we did not use for 2 lines.
We also had the Wells fargo cell phone insurance pay $600 for the stolen S7 edge, and I sold my Note 4 for $165.
So, all in all, we ended up paying $519.99 net to upgrade to our current two devices. We also paid another $50 for SIM cards - one to replace the stolen SIM card for my husband's real number, and one for myself as the micro SIM card in my Note 4 did not fit in the Note 8 which takes a nano SIM. But T-mobile applied a $25 credit to our account to pay for the stolen SIM, so we really only paid for one SIM.

I heard afterwards that there was a Costco offer that was even better, involving a $130 Costco rebate card, which could have saved us some more.

Sadly, my Note 8 screen just broke a couple days ago . It fell from the nightstand onto hardwood floor during the night. I think one of the cats may have pulled the charging cord. I just had it repaired today, which cost me $272. Hope Wells Fargo will pay that claim too (I already filed for it).
Wells fargo cell phone insurance is free if you pay your cell phone bill in full on their card. They will only allow up to 2 claims per year.
We each have a no-fee Wells fargo credit card in our name. I just switched our T-mobile bill to my husband's card for next month in case we have any more cell phone issues. We only got the WF credit cards because of free insurance, and the small signup bonus (about $150 worth of travel per card).
That seems like a decent deal, I wouldn't mind getting a Note 8 for my wife as well.

But neither of us have an "eligible device" to trade in, it seems like you must have one per the conditions:
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/samsung ... 920473,s:g
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

sunny_socal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 am That seems like a decent deal, I wouldn't mind getting a Note 8 for my wife as well.

But neither of us have an "eligible device" to trade in, it seems like you must have one per the conditions:
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/samsung ... 920473,s:g
The BOGO offer we did on 12/23 didn't have any trade-in requirement. Just new lines of service on T-Mobile ONE.
Either we could have converted the existing account to T-Mobile ONE and add one line, or open a new account with 2 lines. We did the later.

I guess T-Mobile/Samsung changes the offer frequently. I think there will likely be more offers coming up.
There are offers this week at Best buy for the Note 8 on other carriers. Not sure what the terms are and whether/when they would unlock it.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

It's $750 unlocked direct from samsung, with a free set of wireless earbuds, plus another $50-300 off for trading in a qualifying phone (iPhone 5 or newer, Galaxy S5 or newer, LG G5 or newer). They do 0% financing as well.
bgf

Post by bgf »

check out swappa. i have a few different listings ive subscribed to for updates. looks like the LG G6 is currently the best bang for the buck you can get.

here's a link to a search for note 8 unlocked.

https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-n ... u-unlocked
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 am It's $750 unlocked direct from samsung, with a free set of wireless earbuds, plus another $50-300 off for trading in a qualifying phone (iPhone 5 or newer, Galaxy S5 or newer, LG G5 or newer). They do 0% financing as well.
I may end up doing that but it seems I don't have a "qualifying" phone for the rebate. All their listed phones are actually somewhat recent, my old Note3 didn't make the cut :(

It seems the US Unlocked version is the one to get anyway, it supports some frequencies that are missing from the various carrier-locked versions:
https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galax ... fferences/

As for swappa - yes, if I were buying a used phone for my kids I would go that route. I'm hesitant to get a used phone for myself for a couple reasons:
- I'm only saving ~$200
- I'd likely miss out on at least some of the warranty, if not all
- The battery is sealed in the new models, I'd be giving up some charge cycles

And I really want the stylus of the Note 8, I've found it to be very useful! (Otherwise I could get a decent deal on the S8 at various places.)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

sunny_socal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am
lazydavid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 am It's $750 unlocked direct from samsung, with a free set of wireless earbuds, plus another $50-300 off for trading in a qualifying phone (iPhone 5 or newer, Galaxy S5 or newer, LG G5 or newer). They do 0% financing as well.
I may end up doing that but it seems I don't have a "qualifying" phone for the rebate. All their listed phones are actually somewhat recent, my old Note3 didn't make the cut :(
Even at $750 with free earbuds (and no trade-in), still a pretty decent price compared to the $923 you quoted in your initial post, and $50 cheaper than the black friday deal that you regretted missing.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 am
Even at $750 with free earbuds (and no trade-in), still a pretty decent price compared to the $923 you quoted in your initial post, and $50 cheaper than the black friday deal that you regretted missing.
You don't get the $750 price for an unlocked phone or without a trade in. It's still $950. $750 is carrier-locked.

Can you post a link to the deal you saw?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

https://www.samsung.com/us/galaxy/note8/buy/s/Device/

Digging in, it seems you're right. I just went by the $750 on that page, and didn't go all the way to checkout. Looks like only the T-Mobile version is $750. Sorry about that.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Wally World has the grey version for a mere $897

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Galaxy-Note8 ... /950435821
junior

Post by junior »

Never mind, I confused the Note 8 for S8.
bgf

Post by bgf »

It seems the US Unlocked version is the one to get anyway, it supports some frequencies that are missing from the various carrier-locked versions:
https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galax ... fferences/

As for swappa - yes, if I were buying a used phone for my kids I would go that route. I'm hesitant to get a used phone for myself for a couple reasons:
- I'm only saving ~$200
- I'd likely miss out on at least some of the warranty, if not all
- The battery is sealed in the new models, I'd be giving up some charge cycles

And I really want the stylus of the Note 8, I've found it to be very useful! (Otherwise I could get a decent deal on the S8 at various places.)
to each his own. still, i think with cell phones, buying used/refurbished is excellent bang for the buck. your phone becomes a used phone the minute you fire it up and activate it...

im probably going to replace my LG G4 with the LG G6, which came out just last year.

new from Verizon the LG G6 is $672. I should be able to get one in Mint condition (ie functions flawlessly and no sign of wear) for ~$250 or a new/refurb for under $300. its a great phone, but just got killed coming out when it did during the cycle, and also because it doesn't use the snapdragon 835... rather the 821.

i gain nothing over buying from Verizon for $672. i can get a perfectly working phone with no signs of use for 60% off.

tech is probably the easiest area to save money by simply researching exactly what you want and what you need. phones and lap tops are so much more powerful than the average person needs... this is why i've had a chromebook for years now.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Ended up getting it from Best Buy:
- MSRP $949
- Price matched to Amazon, $923
- Got a "Free" Samsung home security kit as part of a bundle, MSRP $250
- I see the kits on ebay for ~$150, so I'll sell it there and hope to get 130