[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WHL

Re: What do you splurge on?

Post by WHL »

Food. I buy what I want and i make sure I'm buying good quality stuff. Mainly produce, fresh meats from butchers, good local cheese and bread, etc. I like to cook and I don't eat out much so I'm sure it balances out somewhere.
replyguy

Post by replyguy »

I just bought an older house. I am slowly renovating it with upscale materials. Came from a tiny condo so every
new project involves an investment in new tools.

I paid for my son to go back to college. His degree was in criminal justice and the only job offers he was getting
was for security guard at about 30K. He's about to graduate in IT and accepted a job offer at 60K.

My personal splurges are never ending Diet Coke and ice cream.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

Well I splurge on nothing for myself. Only for others. It sounds a bit crazy but it is the truth.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

TS,

Coffee and Tea.

$35 for 2 pounds of coffee every 2 weeks.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee ... -6555.html

Tea from Upton tea..

http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/home.asp

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

The wife and I love antiques but if we want more of them we`ll have to move to a larger home.
KailuaBoy

Post by KailuaBoy »

House. My goal is to buy a tear down in my hometown in ten or so years. It will probably be much more than I need to spend but I consider my house and where I live to be my one splurge in life.

I also buy a lot of tools. I'm the DIY type and will buy tools to do the job and keep them after rather than pay someone to do it.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Beer...$40 a case is average.

Maple syrup...corn syrup with fake flavors is disgusting.

American made pool table and air hockey table for the now finished basement, great fun for our family, my seven year old has gotten remarkably competent at shooting pool in a short period of time. Nothing like sipping that beer I mentioned while shooting pool in your pajamas

Sheep shearling slippers from a couple in Vermont making them in their basement...best thing I ever put on my feet.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Food, alcohol, and travel.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Earlier VictoriaF wrote:...But my greatest "splurge" is not owning my home and thus not being burdened with its maintenance and repairs.
Sunny Sarkar wrote:Housing.

We are two and a half people (and a puppy) living in a 3200 sq.ft home, most of which belongs to the puppy.
On the futility of generalizing the "Bogleheads": Your splurge is owning a house, my splurge is not owning.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
rai

Post by rai »

I own seven pinball machines.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

rai wrote:I own seven pinball machines.
Getting one is on my list for the game room, which ones do you have?

There only one that I want...World Cup Soccer, it's what I played in college.

Any advice?
newbogleb

Re: What doyou splurge on?

Post by newbogleb »

saladdin wrote:H & B.
What's H&B?
wdr1

Post by wdr1 »

Flying business class. If I can do it for +$50/hour of flight, I usually go for it.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

investingdad wrote:Beer...$40 a case is average.
For stuff that comes in 12oz bottles that's about right. It's the stuff that comes in 22oz bottles that can run like $100 for a case. I hate paying so much, but yes I splurge :)
cu_

Post by cu_ »

Vacations with kids (mainly to create experiences that they hopefully remember).
Good quality food & drinks.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Deer hunting.

This just isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle. It includes the cost of: leased property, a camp, driving 300 miles round trip to said property every weekend during season (and a few out of), ATV, needing a full size 4X4 truck (and it's associated expenses), firearms, safe, a wardrobe of camo. clothing and I'm sure a lot more I can't think of. I'm a Financial Analyst by trade, when I'm going to my camp I'm a totally different person.
It's my entertainment and it provides me with REAL free range, organic, steroid free meat (do you really know what you are getting from Whole Foods?).
rai

Post by rai »

investingdad wrote:
rai wrote:I own seven pinball machines.
Getting one is on my list for the game room, which ones do you have?

There only one that I want...World Cup Soccer, it's what I played in college.

Any advice?
I sent you a PM

I have:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Spiderman
Iron Man
AcDc
Tron
X-Men
Star Trek
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I got some scary medical news. Immediately said I want to see the best Dr on the planet. The recommended Dr is out of network. I said book it anyway. Today I am traveling out of town so that an out of network Dr can perform surgery at an out of network hospital.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hayden wrote:I got some scary medical news. Immediately said I want to see the best Dr on the planet. The recommended Dr is out of network. I said book it anyway. Today I am traveling out of town so that an out of network Dr can perform surgery at an out of network hospital.
This is the best way to splurge. Best wishes for your surgery,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
junetree

Post by junetree »

Travel. Lots of it. :sharebeer
packet

Post by packet »

beer.
First round’s on me.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

VictoriaF wrote:
Hayden wrote:I got some scary medical news. Immediately said I want to see the best Dr on the planet. The recommended Dr is out of network. I said book it anyway. Today I am traveling out of town so that an out of network Dr can perform surgery at an out of network hospital.

Victoria
Not sure I'd call getting the best medical care you can a splurge, but accept my best wishes as well.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

Guitars and related gear, good beer, eating out. All me mostly, the wife is super-bogleheadish. :mrgreen:
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cheese_breath wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Not sure I'd call getting the best medical care you can a splurge, but accept my best wishes as well.
It's a splurge in the sense that Hayden can get a less expensive healthcare, but he is spending a significant additional amount to maximize his chance of recovery. While this seems a prudent decision and not a common notion of a "splurge"--many people tend to economize on healthcare and spend on various frivolous items mentioned in this thread. In that sense, Hayden's splurge is the best, the closest aligned with life priorities, the most worthy to be imitated by the rest of us.

Victoria
target2030

Post by target2030 »

• Maid Service twice a month
    Lawn Service
    Starbucks on the weekends
    < $2000 a year on electronics
    Personal Trainer
    $100 discretionary monthly spend on novelty foods
    Only the best food for the pet
    Travel
    Pay for travel (for friends and relatives that may not be able to afford easily).
    Pay for tuition (help relatives that cannot easily afford to send their kids to college)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I splurged this weekend, larger than I have in a very long time. I purchased really nice cyclocross bikes for the wife and I, as well as a bike trailer so that we can tow the kid(#2 in the spring). I competed in triathlons for several years and prior to meeting my wife, I commuted for nearly 2yrs by bike. I sold my last one when we married, so that I could pay off her car. This is the longest I have been without a bike in my life, was really getting the itch. She's also wanted a bike forever. We live 4 miles from my office, about 10 from my wife's. As soon as it warms up, the idea is for me to commute by bike (towing the kids, who are in childcare in my facility) and my wife will commute by bike 2-3x/wk. Driving less and possibly going down to one car was part of the justification; we'll see how it works out.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Wine, women, and song
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Travel (although not luxury, usually)
Cleaning service once a month
Nice restaurants
Wine
My DH likes watches...
Photography equipment
The pup

On the flip side, I drive a 2008 Saturn, we don't have a lot of tech/electronics, I hate spending money on clothes, and I am a big fan of Groupons...
Doom&Gloom

Re: What doyou splurge on?

Post by Doom&Gloom »

newbogleb wrote:
saladdin wrote:H & B.
What's H&B?
Hookers and blow.

But for me:

Basically, anything that is very important to me or that I enjoy very much:

A "fun" and impractical car--after driving sensible "compromises" for the past 20+ years.
Good beer--I don't drink beer often, but when I do, I want something good.
Wine--generally quantity rather than quality. A glass or two of red almost daily. It doesn't always have to be great, but it always has to be at least enjoyable.
A&V system--I frequently listen to music and want it to sound very good. My wife insists that "we" watch TV and movies, so I want those to be excellent quality as well.
Food--It doesn't have to be extravagant or a "splurge," but I'm a very picky eater. I probably eat an equal number of very cheap meals and "splurge" meals.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Always had a great family vacation - even as I car pooled with an 11 year old Pinto!!. A true reward for hard work done during the whole year done by kids and parents. Great bonding especially as the kids got older -- softened the tendency to rebel. Every 3 years of so when the kids were young we did a second vacation with just us - a different bonding experience to keep the relationship strong.

A bit more dining out at better restaurants and going to see more plays at the local theater.

Bought a new Forester last year - better comfort and safety -- bigger price.

Trying to raise standard of living each year - hard to break the frugal ways -- but learning. You learn to enjoy life without too much emphasis on pinning for things to splurge on. Could use to upgrade the kitchen etc - big ticket discretionary purchases are tough for me.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

N1CKV wrote:Deer hunting.

This just isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle. It includes the cost of: leased property, a camp, driving 300 miles round trip to said property every weekend during season (and a few out of), ATV, needing a full size 4X4 truck (and it's associated expenses), firearms, safe, a wardrobe of camo. clothing and I'm sure a lot more I can't think of. I'm a Financial Analyst by trade, when I'm going to my camp I'm a totally different person.
It's my entertainment and it provides me with REAL free range, organic, steroid free meat (do you really know what you are getting from Whole Foods?).
You don't need all that - thermals, a good pair of camo pants, a good jacket (orange blaze preferably or an orange blaze vest on top of jacket), one firearm (no need to replace this each year, a good one will last one or two lifetimes or more), box of rounds, a backpack stocked with first aid kit, rubber gloves, some trail mix, a sharp knife, some rope, and a good buddy to go out in the field with you. Rent for the property or use of state land. What I'm saying is you can spend as much as you like or go with the necessary items only; in the end what matters is you had a successful day out in the field whether you come home with something or not. The real entertainment comes when you have to hang it up and butcher it, or shall I say the real work! :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I just ordered new shoes from Amazon, supposedly one of the last 3 pairs in my size. They were not on the Amazon list of BF sales. Due to my unique foot size, I don't always have a lot of options.

Big spender!
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

VictoriaF wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's a splurge in the sense that Hayden can get a less expensive healthcare, but he is spending a significant additional amount to maximize his chance of recovery. While this seems a prudent decision and not a common notion of a "splurge"--many people tend to economize on healthcare and spend on various frivolous items mentioned in this thread. In that sense, Hayden's splurge is the best, the closest aligned with life priorities, the most worthy to be imitated by the rest of us.

Victoria
I agree and send best wishes and only note that I am married to the :D "best doctor on the planet" :D

However the Bogle in me suggests that you document asking for a referral from your insurance to the :happy 2nd best Dr on the planet :)
I had a case where the receiving hospital was willing to accept Assignment" and it covered the hospital costs in full

but I agree with Victoria
goodtricks

Post by goodtricks »

TRAVEL (If its luxury we usually try to do it via points/miles)
DINING (Go out to a nice dinner a few times a month, which in Boston can be $$$)
CONCERTS
VINYL (New hobby, that I need to make a budget for before I go over board)
Tony Angeleno

Post by Tony Angeleno »

1) Support my wife's painting compulsion. She took an early retirement, added a 700 square foot studio, and currently spends about $10k annually, excluding travelling to far away places, which thankfully we don't do anymore. She doesn't want to stop now, otherwise she will likely carry the stigma of being remembered as a one-painting artist.

2) We buy nice furniture from that patriot store, and avoid compressed wood whenever we can.

edited/added:

Also in my younger days I had a vacation home stick built in Lake Arrowhead.
Last edited by Tony Angeleno on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

HBO and Showtime
Pay extra for 4G cellular for my Ipad so I can take it with me and always have a connection
We buy the food we want
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

Vegas with the DW. Drink some drinks and throw some dice! Used to go every year until the kiddos arrived, hope to go next year.

I just spent $110 to have a crew clean all the leaves and twigs from my yard.. Best $110 I've spent in a LONG time.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Food - Both Restaurant dining and fancy grocery shopping. I cook a lot but its a lot of gourmet stuff.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

American made pool table and air hockey table for the now finished basement, great fun for our family, my seven year old has gotten remarkably competent at shooting pool in a short period of time. Nothing like sipping that beer I mentioned while shooting pool in your pajamas

Sheep shearling slippers from a couple in Vermont making them in their basement...best thing I ever put on my feet.
I'd love to know what brand the table is. I've wanted a pool table since I was about 13, and I finally now have the house and money for it! I also like buying American made.
sambb

Post by sambb »

splurge: kids' education
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Golf course fees
Golf equipment - lots of Ping and Taylor Made
Big screen Samsung tv
350Z

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

1) Eating out
2) Certain gadgets (phones, tablets, etc)
3) Traveling (nice hotels, food, etc)
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I spend 90% of my money on fast women and fast cars. The other 10% I waste. :wink:
VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd »

premium beverages and locally grown and raised foods

restaurant meals

travel and concerts

monthly pedicures, occasional massage

monthly housecleaning service
John3754

Post by John3754 »

HIgh end sushi.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Leemiller wrote:

I'd love to know what brand the table is. I've wanted a pool table since I was about 13, and I finally now have the house and money for it! I also like buying American made.
The air hockey table is an Arctic Wind by Dynamo, made in Texas.

The pool table is an 8 foot Belmont model by Olhausen. If you talk to serious pool players they'll tell you Olhausen isn't what they'd buy. That's fine, and I agree it's not the same calibre as a higher end table. But it is American made by a billiards company located in Tennessee. For $2500 I got a new Belmont model table, set of four cues, two shorty sticks for my kids, set of balls, wall rack, more color matched chalk than I'll ever need (matches the cloth we choose) and delivery plus setup. And they came back two months later to adjust it at no cost per my request.

Olhausen is the American made, entry level company...which makes them better by default than every Chinese made table on the market.

Like you, I've wanted a pool table all my life. We're morphing the finished basement into a lovely game room.
karpems

Post by karpems »

Our house...currently in the construction phase. Probably overspent, added a pool, but we hope to get years of enjoyment out of it.

Wine...way too much, but once you drink the good stuff it is hard to go back

New cars...For us, Volvo safety is well worth the price.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

investingdad wrote:
Leemiller wrote:

The air hockey table is an Arctic Wind by Dynamo, made in Texas.

The pool table is an 8 foot Belmont model by Olhausen. If you talk to serious pool players they'll tell you Olhausen isn't what they'd buy. That's fine, and I agree it's not the same calibre as a higher end table. But it is American made by a billiards company located in Tennessee. For $2500 I got a new Belmont model table, set of four cues, two shorty sticks for my kids, set of balls, wall rack, more color matched chalk than I'll ever need (matches the cloth we choose) and delivery plus setup. And they came back two months later to adjust it at no cost per my request.

Olhausen is the American made, entry level company...which makes them better by default than every Chinese made table on the market.

Like you, I've wanted a pool table all my life. We're morphing the finished basement into a lovely game room.

In highschool I had a pool table (a cheap one) and all the kids wanted to come to my house to play. My mom loved that! Less worry for her.

I bet your kids love having a pool table.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I would say food since I live in NYC, it is hard to just say no to new restaurants or making a short trip to get a certain type of food. The food is just really good and a lot of times easier than cooking it, such as BBQ meats, deep fried things, and of course, ethnic foods where I don't own the spices on hand.

The other thing is to use decent hotels while traveling.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

Woodworking tools.

Although most of the items I make I give as Christmas gifts to family members.

The most difficult thing I have ever made is a 1905 lamp reproduction:

More details on the 1905 lamp project at... http://dalemaley.webs.com/1905lampreproduction.htm

I really like these 1909 design fern stands:

More details on the 1909 fern stands:

http://dalemaley.webs.com/fernstand.htm

For this coming Christmas will be glass clocks, using Kokomo glass:

More details on the Kokomo glass clocks at:

http://dalemaley.webs.com/glassclocks.htm
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett