[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Post by Professor Emeritus »

[Combined with "What UN-frugal thing do you do?", which starts on Page 5. --admin LadyGeek]

The Boglebunch being fairly tightfisted so I wondered what your personal "splurges" are?
:annoyed NB NOTHING WORK OR INVESTMENT RELATED :annoyed :annoyed no "better software to keep track of my portfolio"etc.

We are talking consumption here. Not investment. And no gifts.
I'm cheap. We own one used car, one tv and buy used cameras on Ebay.
(we do travel a lot) But I don't think of that as a splurge (could be I'm delusional)
But
For 20 years I have paid a lawn service to cut my lawn. Almost nothing gives me the same pleasure.
I actually LIKE sending the checks.
Both daughters with their little kids only have to ask and we take them out for lunch or dinner wherever they like
I don't paint.... EVER.... I pay for it.

What's your splurge?
Last edited by Professor Emeritus on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grettman

Re: What doyou splurge on?

Post by grettman »

Video games. But I try to wait for them to be reduced in price.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

When we travel I refuse to stay in cheap hotels.
I'll sure search out coupons, but I am a sucker for a new hotel.
Then I'll go get a $4 sub for dinner.
Pale Blue Dot
rob

Post by rob »

Photography & Travel
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

H & B.
bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 »

Food. Upgraded experiences with friends and family usually involving food and drink.
camptalcott

Post by camptalcott »

I have two vices.

1) luxury travel. sorry I did the hostels and budget hotels.. LOL for these old bones, there is a difference. My sister beat breast cancer and on her five year cancer free anniversary we stayed at the Ritz in Paris. OMG!!! I now believe there is a heaven and the action takes place at the Paris Ritz.

2) home furnishings. As much as I do like to travel, I'm a homebody. I'm the gal that has one of those beds you see in magazines with 10 lbs of crap on it. LOL it use to drive my late husband crazy. I can easily drop hundreds of bucks on thick, Egyptian cotton towels. My big splurge was an automatic towel warmer, :D found it in sharper imagine.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"
midareff

Post by midareff »

rob wrote:Photography & Travel
+1 and add home audio and video.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I'm musing over what makes an expenditure a splurge. I pay for yard work and cleaning but don't feel like that's a splurge; it's an economy of time. A splurge to me wouldn't really have any practical justification--buying fancy cheeses and getting them shipped to me is an economy of nothing and an absolute delight. I'm also a fan of really nice sheets and big purchases of garden bulbs.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

1.Good beer.
2. We host many dinners with friends and family to share the good beer with.
3. High quality tools, I like to work on stuff.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Two areas: travel and vehicles.

Travel of various types, seldom luxury, but certainly adequate. Typically warm destinations with scuba diving, but expanding my scope now in retirement.

And I like to keep both a convertible and a pickup in my inventory. I alternate buying them new every so often...
Attempted new signature...
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

Anime
Old Movies (black and white mostly)
Art
Date Nights with the Wife
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

Splurges:

Travel
Cars
Cleaning Service every 2 weeks
Lawn Guy
Cable Package (Theres probably no channel I don't get)
Cigars
Scotch

Where I cut back:

Clothes (quality, inexpensive, bought VERY infrequently)
Eating Out (relatively infrequently)
Bars (I somehow lost the desire to ever go to a bar again; Much prefer a drink at home)
Toys/Gadgets (One laptop in the house (going on 6 yrs old), no tablets, 1 cellphone per adult, no other electronics, cameras, etc).

i try to spend where I get the most personal satisfaction per dollar.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

We don't cut corners on food and wine.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Don't know if I'd call it splurge but I only buy comfortable shoes, without regard to price.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have our son and grandson live with us. We splurge by paying most of our grandson's expenses and love it!
Otherwise I like to garden and love buying plants, etc. for that.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Sidney wrote:We don't cut corners on food and wine.
+ a lot. :-)

Although we don't come close to bidding on lots in Hong Kong, over the past 5 years, we've spent more to stock (and restock, and stock some more) our cellar than we spent on the purchase and maintenance of our cheap cars (civic/fit). So too, we don't eat outside the house often (2-3 times a month?), but we tend to go either to white castle or to the type of restaurants (here and away) that folks fly in for.

and Travel....

(This is after we completed "splurging" on the education of three kids.)
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Pilates solo classes with personal instructor
Massage therapy
House cleaner
Cable tv

I sometime wonder whether and how much of the splurges above I'll continue to spend money on after I retire since all are really ways to help me deal with my working life. The exercise keeps not only my body but my mind less stressed, the massage helps work out the knots I inevitably have at the end of every work week, the house cleaner allows me to have precious weekends free of the need to spend time cleaning toilets and floors, and the cable tv is my go-to soporific at the end of the days when I simply can't stand to think or move any more.

So maybe in retirement I'll 'retire' those and find some new fun splurges like travel, good food/wine etc! :D
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Ice cream.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Luxury hotels
No red-eye flights when traveling

Also, I eat out a lot. I'm not sure that's a splurge. I don't cook, and don't foresee that ever changing. Just something I factor into my budgeting.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

dbCooperAir wrote:1.Good beer.
Definitely high quality tools and lots of them. Hate not having the right tool when doing a project.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Without mentioning small $ amounts that equal large sums at the end of the year.

Eating out, booze, concerts, ect. I could probably retire 5 years early if we did not eat out or drink.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

We take one or two vacations per year. We like to rent a large beach house for a week with extended family. Our (adult) kids have crazy schedules so this doesn't work out annually like it used to. We also like to take a week long tropical vacation with friends every year. We sometimes take weekend trips that don't amount to that much.

We do like to dine out about twice a week, but we mainly use credit card points at chain restaurants, so there is little out of pocket cost.

I have a couple cruiser style motorcycles, which some might call a splurge.

We do have the latest smart phones and the medium cable package, but today most people would not call these splurges.

We like to listen to live music, and used to go to see bigger acts a couple times a year. I hate the ticket surcharges and often lousy seats we end up with, so we just see local acts that are inexpensive or free, and we find we enjoy them just as much.

Really don't splurge on that much, I guess. When we retire, we will probably spend more.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cheese_breath wrote:Ice cream.
Like chocolate, beer, wine ... this is one of those "if you aren't going to do it well, don't do it at all." Not worth the calories for the junk.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Definitely high quality tools and lots of them. Hate not having the right tool when doing a project.
I have the same mindset and stocked up when I was younger and still reap the benefits. OTOH, if you use them, you get better quality work at a cheaper price than hiring someone. So maybe not a splurge after all?
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

pennstater2005 wrote:
What kind of tools? Wood working, metal working, automotive, or what?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

munemaker wrote:What kind of tools? Wood working, metal working, automotive, or what?
Locksmith tools. Safe cracking. High quality engraving and printing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
basspond

Post by basspond »

Fishing including the boat.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

munemaker wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
What kind of tools? Wood working, metal working, automotive, or what?
Drills, table saw, oscillating saw, Miter saw, air compressor, impact driver, Sander, jigsaw, chainsaw, reciprocating saw, torque wrenches, etc......I could go on.

I just remodeled my kitchen recently and got me some new tools :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

my wife!
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

This seems a lot like the very recent:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=150844
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

My overall frugality often takes over, so I typically don’t spend a lot of money on hobbies. Recently though three or four people around my age died unexpectedly and for some reason it really hit home with me that I need to enjoy myself a little now instead of waiting forever.

I’ve always been a muscle car guy but haven’t owned one in 15+ years. So my splurge was to get another muscle car to work on and tinker with. It’s definitely not a cheap hobby but there’s nothing quite like it to me. I always want to know more about cars and ripping one apart and putting it back together is a great way to learn!

:sharebeer
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Good coffee, beer, liquor
Groceries (Whole Foods mostly)
Gardening and pool maintenance services
Books
PC games (on sale)
Spouse
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Wine - when I get the itch. Lately, I've been drinking it down, as the best time to enjoy it is in the presence of family and friends.
Chocolate - when a regular Hershey's bar just won't do.
Clothing - I like to buy quality that will last for years and years....and least that's how I justify spending more.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Schu

Post by Schu »

Maple syrup.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm definitely in contention for the single most frugal person on this board, but we splurge on athletic shoes and exercise equipment. My wife and I have between us about 20 pairs of good (purchased within the last 2yrs) athletic shoes; when I find a deal I generally get several pairs. Most of them were purchased for well under half retail price, but there is no reason for an adult to have 10+ pairs of shoes they do nothing but exercise in. On the other hand, we are probably good for the next 5yrs. I also have a very nice set of Eleiko bumper plates and a lot of various exercise equipment.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I splurge too often, but here are some of the things I like to splurge on:

Occasional massages, also regular (every 4-6 weeks) deluxe pedicures which I do primarily for the leg and foot massages
Occasional very overpriced dinners (and drinks) out
A housekeeper to come twice a month (even though I have plenty of time to clean my own house)
A few vacations a year including fine dining and luxury accommodations
Getting my dogs bathed and professionally groomed (I do it myself sometimes but it's not nearly as effective)
A wine club membership
Designer shoes, bags, and/or clothes (usually for work)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

1. Travel
2. Food, Wine and Beer
3. Bicycles. (Road, Mountain, Fixie, Folding, Cyclocross). Currently looking to upgrade my commuter bike to one with a Gates belt drive (no chain to oil! no grease on pants!), 11 speed internal hub, dyno lighting system which also provides a powered USB port to charge my iPhone while I ride, hydraulic disc breaks, mahogany fenders... :)
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Pete's Coffee - slightly more expensive than many other brands, but I love it.

Recently trying to buy more grass fed chicken and beef.

Also over the past few months I noticed that I'm willing to pay more for kitchen appliances that are of higher quality. I.e. a Vitamix, a Breville juicer, a Breville toaster, a Breville waffle maker, a Breville Coffee maker. Wait, maybe it's just that I really like Breville....
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

jebmke wrote:Don't know if I'd call it splurge but I only buy comfortable shoes, without regard to price.
I used to think this was a splurge, too. Then I developed back problems and they became a necessity.

But yeah. It's hard to explain about spending $75 on a pair of sandals...but there are so few sandals that fit custom orthotics.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Gardening, eating out at special restaurants, entertainment (attending plays, symphonies, home NFL games), good bourbon and scotch... good stuff all. Maybe these things aren't necessary, but they are.....for the soul.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Professor Emeritus wrote:The Boglebunch being fairly tightfisted so I wondered what your personal "splurges" are?
:annoyed NB NOTHING WORK OR INVESTMENT RELATED :annoyed :annoyed no "better software to keep track of my portfolio"etc.

We are talking consumption here. Not investment. And no gifts.
I'm cheap. We own one used car, one tv and buy used cameras on Ebay.
(we do travel a lot) But I don't think of that as a splurge (could be I'm delusional)
But
For 20 years I have paid a lawn service to cut my lawn. Almost nothing gives me the same pleasure.
I actually LIKE sending the checks.
Both daughters with their little kids only have to ask and we take them out for lunch or dinner wherever they like
I don't paint.... EVER.... I pay for it.

What's your splurge?
The reason that I cut my lawn myself is because I consider it as physical exercise. I do not want to pay someone to cut my lawn and then pay membership fees to do exercise at gyms.
MP1233

Post by MP1233 »

Going out for lunch almost every week day. It breaks up my work days to avoid burnout. In the past, music lessons for the kids, and now, covering all university costs for kids. We bought our oldest a car and will do so for our youngest within the next year.

This is actually a tough question for me because I assume it is referring to purchases made for the sole purpose of enjoyment. I have never done this.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Children!
rjsob58

Post by rjsob58 »

Hockey tickets
Family vacation
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Good beer
Vacations
Buying lunch
A/C and Heat. House is always is in a 5 degree range.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

1. Gastrotourism. I wayyy overspend on food while traveling, but love nothing more than experiencing the unique flavors and preparations I can't get at home. I often incorporate what I learn into my own home cooking. Also love to bring rare beers back home to share with fellow beer geeks.

2. Eating "cheap but wholesome" lunch out. I try to keep it to $6 or less per meal, but tend to each lunch or breakfast out 3-4 days a week.

3. My Z4 and related garage work and performance driving events. It costs me a couple k per year. I don't need it, but what it offers in maintaining my sanity is priceless.

I have a reel mower, I keep the house hot/cold in summer/winter, I try to stay in hostels or camp out, I drive instead of fly, etc. But these three things I find totally worth the extra strain on my 60%+ savings rate budget.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 »

Beads and jewelry-making supplies for me (I make my own jewelry), video games for the hubby, and stuffed toys for the dog. One type of splurge for each of us. :D
claudia

Post by claudia »

I am very cheap. I wore the same pair of sneakers for over 10 years (I wore to walk my dog for 30 mins every day). I recently bought a new pair of sneakers and it costs me $40. That's already a big splurge. But I still keep my old ones since they are still wearable.
Last edited by claudia on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C