[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
praxis

Re: Name something you bought that wasn't cheap and glad you did

Post by praxis »

fishandgolf wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm Log home in the woods........lot's of work but.........we enjoy every minute .....especially during the winter snow falls..... :sharebeer
+1
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

lightheir wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm Home x1000. Bought in the insanely priced SF Bay area at the low. I wish I could say I was prescient, but I nearly talked my wife out of buying, so I can take no credit. :oops:
You are lucky compare to home owners in middle of country. Many are still not recovered form the 2008 crisis. It's all about location no matter what you pay. For stock investment, if you bought FANG at IPO.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Roadtrek.

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

A Sawstop table saw. I have twenty digits and I'm very attached to them.

Bonus content: a set of Festool sanders and a Festool shop vac to assist them. These things are unbelievably great, I can sand all day long and it's like it never happened (observably, except on the work.)

I'm retired, I've been around and seen a lot of stuff go down, and that's what the money's for.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

Paradigm tribute 30th anniversary speakers normally 6k but got them for $4,800. Great sounding speakers for the money.

Any of our Hancock and a Moore furniture, great quality and beautiful.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Our current home. It’s in the middle of five acres of woods, and has everything we were looking for when we were house shopping.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

A super automatic espresso machine although we just use it to make coffee.

:sharebeer
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

Professional grade saxophone for daughter when in last year of middle school. Upgraded from entry level Yamaha and has helped her playing/confidence immensely.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

Iliketoridemybike wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm A really good bike.
+1
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

Sonos speakers. Much better audio than a bluetooth equivalent...and whole-home audio sync.
LG OLED65B7A TV. Amazing video quality.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Espresso coffee grinder
skatterZ

Post by skatterZ »

Mercedes E63S
DocSleepy72

Post by DocSleepy72 »

Bose QC35 wireless, noise-cancelling headphones

Wahoo KICKR bike trainer plus a subscription to TrainerRoad
catdude

Post by catdude »

I bought a specialized cat ladder (7-step) for my kitties. They love it. Cost (including shipping): $400. Worth every penny...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

A very nice classic, grey trench coat with a removable thinsulate lining (very warm) that I bought in the late 1980s. It was well above the budget I had set for myself, but it was a timeless design and would never go out of style. After a number of years it was starting to get a little shabby in places, so I took it to a tailor to have repairs made. Although I don't have reason to wear it very often, that coat is still in my closet.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

2017 Ranger Z21 bass boat with three 12-inch graphs, three sonar transducers, Ulterra trolling motor, dual power poles and every bell/whistle I can find. Next week I'm upgrading to lithium batteries. It's a mini-vacation every time I go out. Just got home from fishing a local tournament tonight.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Camera
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

A pair of Prada winter boots. They cost nearly 2 months mortgage payments. 5 years later they still look fabulous.
Frette bedlinen and towels. It's the small things that make life feel luxurious.

As I got older I realised that I'm too poor to buy cheap.
North Texas Cajun

Post by North Texas Cajun »

theunknowntech wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm A Sawstop table saw. I have twenty digits and I'm very attached to them.

Bonus content: a set of Festool sanders and a Festool shop vac to assist them. These things are unbelievably great, I can sand all day long and it's like it never happened (observably, except on the work.)

I'm retired, I've been around and seen a lot of stuff go down, and that's what the money's for.
I bought my SawStop in November. Also because I highly value my fingers.
b.lock

Post by b.lock »

Any tools made by Makita; they are always worth the premium.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Club Lacrosse for my son. Costs almost 10x what our local rec league (which he is also in) does, but he gets so much more out of working with professional coaches and other players who are by and large all significantly better than he is. We've seen huge improvements in his skills and athleticism (his lack thereof he inherited from me), and he's dropped a ton of weight. This summer he'll be playing in tournaments in 3 different states, and has an option for a 4th. He's already played in two in-state tournaments with them in the fall and winter.

Ariens Platinum 24 EFI. Throws any depth and consistency of snow a ridiculous distance (I can get from one sidewalk to the one on the other side of the street if I want to), never bogs down. Fuel injection means no carb to deal with, no choke to operate, always starts and runs perfectly. Grip heaters that work so well I sometimes have to turn them off. :)

Second on the Bose QC35. We bought two pair at the Bose outlet for <$500 including tax. I use mine mostly when travelling--they are fantastic on planes--but do use them occasionally around the house. My son uses his for several hours every single day.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 pm Engagement ring.
+1
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am
+1
I don't really regret it, but if I had to do it all over again, I would get just a simple ring.

At the time I was making maybe $30k/yr up to my eyeballs in debt and spent about $3k on it. such a waste imo
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

Vitamix
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

$7,000 female German Shepherd
$6,000 male German Shepherd

Each day I am in awe of what an exceptionally bred dog is capable of.
Funding secured
Point

Post by Point »

Marriage
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Vivobarefoot shoes for about $130.

A new poster used his first message to recommend this brand. I considered it a sign of strong determination to overcome a natural resistance to joining a new group for the sake of providing a valuable advice. And so I have investigated Vivobarefoot and purchased a pair from Amazon that allowed free returns.

These trainers don't look expensive and they feel like they don't exist. Which is the whole point.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm Vivobarefoot shoes for about $130.

A new poster used his first message to recommend this brand. I considered it a sign of strong determination to overcome a natural resistance to joining a new group for the sake of providing a valuable advice. And so I have investigated Vivobarefoot and purchased a pair from Amazon that allowed free returns.

These trainers don't look expensive and they feel like they don't exist. Which is the whole point.

Victoria
Haven't heard of that brand. Can you compare to vibrams? Haven't worn mine in a while
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:44 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm Vivobarefoot shoes for about $130.

Victoria
Haven't heard of that brand. Can you compare to vibrams? Haven't worn mine in a while
I have never had shoes with separated toes. I have some hiking boots with a Vibram logo on the sole, but that's different.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
scone

Post by scone »

Pilot 743 Falcon fountain pen. Amazing for drawing and writing.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

Beach wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm Zero turn mower for my 2 acre lawn. Sooooo much better and faster. (Get a commercial brand, avoid buying junk from Lowes, HD)
I second this.

48" lawn tractor 3 hours.

60" kubota beast?! 1 hour. fairly pricey but it will last a lifetime.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

education cost for my kids
totallystudly

Post by totallystudly »

Savage 10fcp in 6.5 creedmoor, which is a nice hunting rifle for the uninitiated. It cost around 800 with a scope, extra mags and the ammo isn't cheap at about $1 per round. Heavy fluter barrel, a trigger that breaks like glass, and most importantly it puts lead on target where I want it, when I want it. I have several hundred pounds of meat in freezers thanks to my favorite rifle.
retiredbuthappy

Post by retiredbuthappy »

Jewelry from Museum Store, always memorable and beautiful.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

theunknowntech wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm A Sawstop table saw. I have twenty digits and I'm very attached to them.
I agree. Buying one next week to get the free mobile base. I've still got all my digits but I'm buying it as (I think) my last table saw. I consider it cheap insurance for the older me in 10-20 years.
John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 »

One month backpacking trip with my wife in Europe.

I also splurged to see my favorite team play in the Super Bowl with my mother several years ago.

Probably the two best experiences of my life, and likely the most expensive experiences also...

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Some all clad pots and pans. I had revere ware befor. I nan tell you The more expensive stuff does work better. Food doesn't burn/scald like it did in the old pots and pans. Am very happy with it.

I may purchase a 6 quart stock pot soon.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Alden "Indy" boots. I've been wearing them about four years now and they've barely aged--they actually look better. They will last me literally the rest of my life.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

A new kitchen which works so much better.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Sleep Number mattress, goose down pillows, goose down duvet, and high thread count bedding. I spend 25-33% of my life in bed.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

beardsworth wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm OP, that search box at the top of each forum page can be your friend.

Do searches for "splurge" and "extravagance" to view multiple previous threads of this type.
Geez....what a buzzkill....what a fun thread!

Remodel kitchen and master bath. The master bath is absolutely perfect -- spa like and makes me happy every single morning.
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni »

Point wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 amMarriage
Lucky you wish I could say the same about my marriage!!
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Business class from Vancouver to Sydney. For a relatively short vacation, arriving rested after a 14 hour flight was priceless. Able to hit the ground running.
ElwoodBlues

Post by ElwoodBlues »

b.lock wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 am Any tools made by Makita; they are always worth the premium.
+1

Also Bosch...I've been very pleased with their current generation of cordless tools, not to mention their always good (corded) routers.

Also, "splurging" on a higher PSI pressure washer, rather than "getting by" with a lesser model.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 am
lthenderson wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am
+1
I don't really regret it, but if I had to do it all over again, I would get just a simple ring.

At the time I was making maybe $30k/yr up to my eyeballs in debt and spent about $3k on it. such a waste imo
If you still have your wife, I think you did well.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

My college education. I'm going to be paying for my childrens' college education as well. It's that important.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

A 12 gage Charles Daley single select trigger with selective ejection over and under shotgun bored improved cylinder and modified purchased with a months pay in 1966. $350.00.

One year later an R.L. Winston 7.5 ft. two piece, two tipped four weight bamboo fly rod also purchased for a months pay. $400.00.

I still have both 53 years later. I shoot the Daley occasionally and fish the rod 5-6 days each year.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

My house purchased in 2010 near the bottom of the market has proven to be a good financial decision.

Our Room and Board Sofa and loveseat - they look brand new still after 2 years and are very comfy.

Finishing our unfinished basement - added 1000 square feet and our home feels much more spacious.

DW’s custom engagement ring and wedding band
ram

Post by ram »

Car: Lexus LS 460.

My wife adds: Vitamix, Instapot cooker.
Ram
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

House in Northern California

Kitchenaid 6 qt. stand mixer