[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 pm

I just spent $19.95 to e-file my state tax return.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sco

Re: What do you splurge on?

Post by sco » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am

chabil wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm
shoes. i am always looking for comfortable shoes and realize good shoes are expensive. i just bought myself a pair of Nike sneakers . I had borrowed these from a friend last week when we spent a day walking in NYC and my feet got so sore and painful - the shoes I wore were not suitable for walking a lot - I couldn't take another step. She gave these for me to try on and immediate relief! They have built in arches or something, I don't need any orthotics. They are light, like wearing socks and yet with a lot of support. I came home and did not even check the price and ordered. Love them.
I am planning a trip to India for us in the winter and I plan to fly business, which we never did before. My DH doesn't know yet :D
Greatest splurge: We rented a house for a month in the winter in LA near where my daughter lives . It is on the strand, wake up to ocean breeze steps away from the beach, and walking distance to grand kids. It is low season in LA and blizzard condition where we live. Still it is a bit of money but we loved it. May do it again.

We rarely eat out unless with friends or family, and even then I avoid chains. I cook at home and it is healthy and good.
This reply has nothing to do with money (even on this board)

I'm happy you like your Nike's. But Nike's aren't generally known as a quality product for the money. It could be exception for your foot, but I suggest you look around at an "expensive" store and see if you don't find something that isn't even better for the same money.... There are several brands than will run the same price, and you might find something that is even better than what you have found. Tough part about shoes is that they change the name but not the design, or the design but no the name.. So you really have to find something that works for you. Keep buying that one though, because the 2019 model won't be the same..

macheta

Post by macheta » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 am

My splurging is mostly on dining and sporting activity.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:02 am

Currently winding up a 12 stay in the Dordogne, and our daily splurge is lunch out. All but one evening has been dinner at home, but after lunch out we aren't very hungry in the evening. Lunch is usually the menu of the day, and runs 18-25 euro. Fantastic 3 course lunch, sometimes with wine included.

In 2 days we're back to reality.

PinotGris

Re: What do you splurge on?

Post by PinotGris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 pm

sco wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am
This reply has nothing to do with money (even on this board)

I'm happy you like your Nike's. But Nike's aren't generally known as a quality product for the money. It could be exception for your foot, but I suggest you look around at an "expensive" store and see if you don't find something that isn't even better for the same money.... There are several brands than will run the same price, and you might find something that is even better than what you have found. Tough part about shoes is that they change the name but not the design, or the design but no the name.. So you really have to find something that works for you. Keep buying that one though, because the 2019 model won't be the same..
[/quote]

:shock: Isn't "splurge" subjective and always costs money? Seems to me you have something going on there with Nike. I always buy NB sneakers at the outlet store near me. Buying Nike at full price is a splurge for me. I and my feet love my new Nikes, thank you.
PS: Actually I have no idea what you are talking about,

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Had an car accident with no one hurt. The 2007 hybrid Camry needs more work than it is worth. So my splurge is on a new one to replace current one. I will be looking this week and next. I am going with new in order to get the safety features coming with new vehicles.

SeaToTheBay

Re: What UN-frugal thing do you do?

Post by SeaToTheBay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Cars and travel.

We take a 1.5-2 week trip every year to somewhere overseas, stay in fairly nice hotels, and typically eat out and fly everywhere instead of taking a train/bus/etc. My logic is if we're going all that way, better to take a 1-2hr flight than spend half a day on a train - you're wasting time on your vacation trying to save money (typically short flights are cheap anyway) unless the ride is scenic. Likewise with food - to me, eating the food where you are is part of the experience, and I'm also wasting precious time trying to grocery shop and cook something good, if I even have the facilities to do so. Wouldn't want to go to Paris and miss out on the amazing pastries and delicious dishes!

For cars, I only drive 7k miles/yr but drive a 2011 BMW M3 which gets 15mpg. Unnecessary but I love it, and it's a great and practical daily driver plus weekend fun car. I also go to the track 1-2x/yr. That typically entails $800 of expenses (~$250 track fee, ~$100 in gas, ~$150 worth of brake wear, ~$150 of tire wear, $150 in fluid changes, hopefully no damage from off-track excursions) but it's a blast that usually ties me over for the next several months to a year. I also have a "fun car fund", which is an account that I've started diverting a portion of my bonuses and raises toward with the goal of buying something very nice in ~4 years from now.

Other than these two (big) things, I really don't spend money on much.
Boogieknight wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm
I put 93 octane in my beloved truck. There are those on here who say it makes no difference. But my truck says thank you every time. I have a very grateful truck. And oh BTW it was at Costco for $2.47 a gallon so it wasn't that un-frugal....
What kind of truck? If 87 is recommended, it will actually run better on 87. Higher octane only makes the fuel more difficult to combust to it can be used in high-compression engines. If your engine isn't tuned for that, it will actually have less power and get lower MPG, so you are literally throwing your money away twice in the price at the pump and the lower MPG.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Upon retiring moved to an expensive beach community in the southeast.
Purchased the largest and most expensive home we have ever owned, a five minute walk to the ocean.
Keep on putting more money into the house.
The latest is a swimming pool.
I’m 75 so what the heck.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am

I mostly splurge on weird hobbies. I spent $25 getting a couple of very rare seeds that may not even germinate (chances are approximately 3 in 100 seeds!)

I spent more than $2,000 banking the DNA (one-time cost - no freezing required) of some of my elderly relatives, since I think it's a safe bet that future technological breakthroughs will allow science to unlock ancestral/genealogical and other biological mysteries.

I have a small but valuable collection of rare genealogical books and have been researching which library to donate them to. Unfortunately I can't give them to the library operated by the Mormons as I am morally opposed to some of their positions, otherwise it would be a simple decision. I guess if I did not intend to donate them, they would not have counted as a splurge as they have appreciated in price far beyond the S&P500.

hamishdad

Post by hamishdad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

The most un-frugal thing I did this week was buy a $4 box of Girl Scout cookies.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 am

SeaToTheBay wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm
Boogieknight wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm
I put 93 octane in my beloved truck. There are those on here who say it makes no difference. But my truck says thank you every time. I have a very grateful truck. And oh BTW it was at Costco for $2.47 a gallon so it wasn't that un-frugal....
What kind of truck? If 87 is recommended, it will actually run better on 87. Higher octane only makes the fuel more difficult to combust to it can be used in high-compression engines. If your engine isn't tuned for that, it will actually have less power and get lower MPG, so you are literally throwing your money away twice in the price at the pump and the lower MPG.
Yeah, that one confused me as well. Unless it is tuned for premium, which as a pickup is almost unheard of, it will actually perform worse with the higher octane fuel. Hey, the thread is asking for the "un-frugal" thing you do, so Boogieknight may be the winner.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am

I am taking a class in photography at a community college. I have been buying some rather cheap, junky umbrellas to try them out. I also bought a cheap speed light that has take me hours to assemble. I bought some new prime lenses and the order the new Nikon D7500 to replace my D7100.

ACA

Post by ACA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 am

Bonds

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am

hamishdad wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am
The most un-frugal thing I did this week was buy a $4 box of Girl Scout cookies.
Where did you find Girl Scout cookies for $4? I spent $5/box for the kid's birthday (Trefoils and Thin Mints).

hamishdad

Post by hamishdad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am
hamishdad wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am
Where did you find Girl Scout cookies for $4? I spent $5/box for the kid's birthday (Trefoils and Thin Mints).
Yikes! Sounds like that box of cookies was the MOST frugal thing I did this week! :D

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:58 pm

I have both an Amazon Prime membership AND a Costco Executive membership... living large! :twisted:
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ - Second verse same as the first

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:16 pm

I bought a powerball lottery ticket today. Less with the hope of winning, and more the fun I have daydreaming of what I could do if I won... Backdoor Roth IRAs ($5500 or $11000 if married) would seem trivial compared to >$100m. But pretty sure I'd still do it.

I will buy a ticket once or twice a year when jackpot gets high. Both un-frugal and un-bogleheads. I am comfortable with this.

FraggleRock

Food, glorious food

Post by FraggleRock » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Food.
Artisanal food.
Don't even consider prices.

rralex1

Post by rralex1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Travel
Restaurants
Gifts to family
All variable expenses..

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:10 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 am

Yep. I don't hesitate to buy Japanese products either.
There is/was generally a fine level of craftsmanship in most Japanese made consumer goods.

Not so with Chinese made junk which is simply made with little regard to quality, safety or even humane standards.
So my iPhone is junk? Funny how I remember 30 years (well maybe 40 now😁) where we all said the same stuff about Japanese quality. At certain level you get what you pay for. I will stack up a 700 Chinese phone(iPhone) versus Korean (Samsung) versus Japan(Sony). The Chinese and the rest make low quality goods for the people who want cheap stuff. They also have world class manufacturing if you want to spend the money

jehovasfitness

Name something you bought that wasn't cheap and glad you did

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page) --admin LadyGeek]

To play off the other thread.

me: Dyson cordless Animal vacuum... I used to get so mad getting the cord tangled. This thing rocks

Klipsch HD wireless 3.1 system. Amazing sound and only wire is for power

king size mattress

kjvmartin

Re: Name something you bought that wasn't cheap and glad you did

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Apple AirPods. Use them so much. Wireless, effortless, magical.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:45 pm

OP, that search box at the top of each forum page can be your friend.

Do searches for "splurge" and "extravagance" to view multiple previous threads of this type.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm

GTX 1080 graphics card for my computer I built in August 2016. It was the best graphics card on the market at the time (the GTX 1080TI wasn't available yet), and so it cost me $699. Now, 1.5 years later, one would expect computer hardware to fall in price, but due to Bitcoin miners, the GTX 1080 cost $1000 recently. With Bitcoin cooling down, the price is now much closer to what I paid in 2016. My high-end RAM did the same thing.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Primary residence: Bought in early 2009 at $298K (not cheap). Now its market value is over $500K (glad we did). This about 4,500 sq ft suburban home gives us immense joy and a very comfortable living space which is only several minutes away from my work. This is probably going to be the best purchase in my life!
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Galaxy s9. Takes amazing pictures of the kids.

House.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Massage chair
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Beach

Post by Beach » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Zero turn mower for my 2 acre lawn. Sooooo much better and faster. (Get a commercial brand, avoid buying junk from Lowes, HD)

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm

A really good bike.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Brompton folding bike
Google Wi-Fi router
Good running shoes
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:21 pm

My house. A shelter and good investment. Live on the west coast is not cheap.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 pm

iMac & Apple Watch

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:53 pm
Galaxy s9. Takes amazing pictures of the kids.

House.
ahh yes, I will throw my S9+ in here as well. My S7 was a POS, but the new one along with the photo ability is amazing.

afan

Post by afan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 pm

I try to avoid buying things. But I suppose I could say "my home". None are cheap and it has been a good investment.

Our cars were cheap as cars go, but all cars are expensive. Ours throughout the years have been durable, safe and reliable, so happy about that.

Other than that- far from cheap but well worth it- we paid for our kids' educations. No way to know whether things would have worked out as well or better had we taken a less expensive approach, but we are as happy as can be with what they got. In spite of the cost, we consider it a bargain.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Vacation/retirement house.

Blew years worth of savings and have a mortgage to boot with only a year or two left of our mutual work lives*.

Worth every penny and more, have never been so happy and look forward to the rest of our lives enjoying paradise at this house :D

*Have resources to pay off mortgage or we might not be so deliriously happy!

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Lake House
KEF LS50w speakers

bac

Post by bac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad (circa $2300)
Das Keyboard for the desktop ($150)

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 pm

I love Kinsale, Ireland's cut glass tumblers, glasses and other items. Basically, they use designs similar to Waterford crystal but in the heavier form no longer typically (Ever?) used by Waterford. A whisky, not Whiskey since Scotland and Ireland do not use the "e", tumbler is approximately $75, plus shipping, drinking glass $85. Fun to collect different sizes in numbers, makes any drink taste better, gives a simple suggestion for others looking for a gift to give, and is on sale in January of each year for 20% off. Also, will leave a nice set of crystal ware as a family heirloom. Absolutely love the items, and they allow an ongoing luxury purchase without a large outlay at one time. They are much more appreciated than a lake house we formerly owned at less than 1% of the cost.

Tim

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Bose QC35

I use them at work, really helps me stay focused / isolates noise. Also helpful in air travel. Usually I'd think 30$ on headphones are about as much as I want to spend, but these headphones are totally worth it.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Bose wireless headphones
every house I have purchased
every car I have purchased
wedding ring for DW
diamond earrings and diamond necklace for DW
nice socks and nice shoes (like to keep my feet happy)
storage shed
new bed, bed frame, headboard, sheets, blankets, pillow
new living room furniture
new carpet
new kitchen appliances

I can't think of any regrets on large purchases.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Today the birds are singing, the water is clear and the sky is blue. Lakehouse for sure. Retired here three years ago. Sunk another 100K into it since then and don't regret a single penny.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Car - Tesla Model S.
Laptop - MacBook Pro.

frugal-dave

Post by frugal-dave » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Veritas® #4 Smooth Hand Plane
David

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:53 pm

an rv

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Log home in the woods........lot's of work but.........we enjoy every minute .....especially during the winter snow falls..... :sharebeer

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 pm

My Herman Miller Aeron desk chair. I work from home and was really screwing up my back and neck with the crappy chair I had before. I bought the Aeron chair used and it was still about $400 if I remember correctly. I got it with a year left on its warranty and was able to get a bunch of stuff fixed on it for free, and it basically works like new.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Engagement ring.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Home x1000. Bought in the insanely priced SF Bay area at the low. I wish I could say I was prescient, but I nearly talked my wife out of buying, so I can take no credit. :oops:

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm

noco-hawkeye wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:36 pm
Bose QC35

I use them at work, really helps me stay focused / isolates noise. Also helpful in air travel. Usually I'd think 30$ on headphones are about as much as I want to spend, but these headphones are totally worth it.
+1

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Dyson V8 cordless vac
Spinner carry-ons (a larger Tumi and a smaller Briggs and Riley)
Good-quality furniture (my favorites include Room and Board's Dalton recliner and Elton bookshelf)