[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RRAAYY3

Re: What UN-frugal thing do you do?

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Toons wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 am Traded In A 2017 Honda Civic (4600 miles)
For
Upgrade ,Civic Sport Touring 2018.
Wrote a Check for the difference.
It is fun.

:mrgreen: :happy :mrgreen: :happy
I have the Sport myself ... although I guess mine was a “frugal” decision? Great car
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

BostonButterfly wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 am HA! I recently spent $1500 on a pair of music speakers, yet as I write this response, my slacks are threadbare and my shoes are probably ten years old. I know my priorities. :wink:
You reminded me of a 2nd un-frugal thing I have done: spent about double that on speakers. But, over 30+ years it is a pittance and if times get bad and I can't afford my $200 meals out anymore I can enjoy bean and cheese tacos, box wine and reaally good sound at home. :beer
Adapt or perish
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I buy way too many caps, tee-shirts, and shorts. I could easily go two months and not repeat on my caps. Shirts could go with no repeats for at least a month and a half. I could wear a different pair of shorts every day for a month.

As well, we eat out way too much.

And, I keep our home at 72 degrees to 74 degrees year round.

I also buy probably 20-30 CDs a year. I could spring for an all-in music streaming service, but I like to play exactly what I want to hear.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am Charitable contributions.

I also run the dishwashwer whenever I feel like it ... even if it only has a few dishes in it.
Only a few dishes!!! You’re crazy :D Do you start your campfires with $100 bills? I know I do.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Travel internationally for vacation a few times a year. Eat out a twice weekly with friends or spouse. Frugal (Tightwad) in most other areas.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
daheld

Post by daheld »

jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 am Cars and dogs.

Past several years we've spent 6-8k/yr on our dogs. From food, vet, boarding, etc. I'm shocked how quickly it adds up yearly.

That and cars. Not necessarily new cars, but older ones that I enjoy and are known to be mechanically sound for the long-run.
Man. We got a dog about a year and a half ago. I grew up with dogs, but was not prepared for how expensive it would be. We rescued this pup and he has some aggression issues, so cue the trainer(s). Then he hurt his neck and had to have medicines and crate rest for a couple months. It has been one thing after another. We've not spent $6-$8k, but it has been a rather expensive proposition.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Cycle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 am Travel internationally for vacation a few times a year. Eat out a twice weekly with friends or spouse. Frugal (Tightwad) in most other areas.
I think frequent travel/spending money on experiences and dining on good food will be a frequent theme in this thread...
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Spent $35 on NHL.TV for the last 3rd of the season. Always the best part of the regular season.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

daheld wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am
jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 am Cars and dogs.

Past several years we've spent 6-8k/yr on our dogs. From food, vet, boarding, etc. I'm shocked how quickly it adds up yearly.

That and cars. Not necessarily new cars, but older ones that I enjoy and are known to be mechanically sound for the long-run.
Man. We got a dog about a year and a half ago. I grew up with dogs, but was not prepared for how expensive it would be. We rescued this pup and he has some aggression issues, so cue the trainer(s). Then he hurt his neck and had to have medicines and crate rest for a couple months. It has been one thing after another. We've not spent $6-$8k, but it has been a rather expensive proposition.
Well, we had 3 large (1 XL) dog for for 1.5 yrs, normally just 2 large dogs. It adds up.

I had a dog in college and for several years after. She cost on avg $40/mo for food, and never had a health problem till the end.

Now it seems our dogs go to the vet several times a year for various things.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I do charity flights (people or dogs) that cost me, on the average, about $350 a pop. I average 10-15 flights a year, so the cost adds up.

Through TY2017 at least I was able to recover a portion of my expense thru itemized deductions. However, with the higher standard deduction, I'm sure my expenses will no longer result in any tax benefit.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Restoring a 62 VW crew cab pickup. The cost for replacement parts is ..................... I better not say as better half might read this :oops:

Edit....oops I forgot to mention I also own a 32' hole-in-the-water :beer
Last edited by BTDT on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I recently bought a Rolex and my wife and I routinely fly first class on flights longer than 4 hours. No regrets or hesitation about either of those choices.
Edie

Post by Edie »

Vacations. We have spent more than we "should" in the past 3 years, but I'd do every single one of them again. We've gone to the beach 3 full weeks a year (spread out over the year, not in one lump) for the past 3 years. It's 4 hours away, and our kids (teenagers) all get along there (seriously, not one quarrel) (not so much at home). I wish we could go for a week every month! I wish we'd started earlier! Can't believe we've lived here 11+ years and only started going to "Arizona's beach" 3 years ago. :oops:

The other non-frugal thing is my spouse keeps the thermostat at 74 in the summer in Phoenix, and thinks that the 65 in the winter balances it out (it doesn't, and I'm always freezing, but since I can put more clothes on, and he can't take any more off "without scarring children", guess who wins :shock: :P)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

OP: If you search for the word "Splurge" you will find many multi-post threads on this topic.
Here is a recent one:
viewtopic.php?t=222627

We regularly spend money on good quality food. Many take better care of their cars than their bodies.

We have always also splurged on travel and vacations.
Toons

Post by Toons »

RRAAYY3 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am
For
It is fun.

I have the Sport myself ... although I guess mine was a “frugal” decision? Great car

Yes it was.
Feels and drives like more expensive "sports car"
:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jminv

Post by jminv »

Travel and restaurants (while travelling although some at home). I also bought a Breitling a few years back. As you said, I am a tightwad on most things and I look deep into most every purchasing decision but once I've made it, I don't look back. Being a tightwad is what let me accumulate enough money to quit whenever I want and travel the world when I feel like it. I never wanted to be one of those people that spend everything they have every month or more just to keep up with friends/neighbors/society.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

For
It is fun.

How much were you credited for the trade?
mhc

Post by mhc »

Children in competitive sports.
Travel.
Run Heat and A/C to whatever temperature we want whenever we want.
High flow shower head.
Greenist yard on the block.
15% of all spend goes to charity.
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

Finally succumbed and bought a $41/mo gym membership on campus to allow me to rock climb. I do so 3x/week and it makes me happy.

We bought 2 moviepasses the other month and that's been great: https://www.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fa ... 95930.html
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.
sailfish2

Post by sailfish2 »

I own a horse :D My horse was a racetrack reject and cheap initially, but the ongoing costs are considerable. I do not compete in pricey competitions/shows (only in low-cost local competitions at this time).

Any way your slice it though, it's a pricey hobby. I make a good income, save well for retirement, and I make trade offs so as to justify my hobby (shop consignment for clothing, no expensive handbags, work out for free at the work fitness center rather than a pricey gym) I have loved the sport since childhood and it is incredibly rewarding.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Run the air conditioning when the room temperature goes above 68F and drink several bottles of water most days.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Toons wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am
RRAAYY3 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am
For
It is fun.

Yes it was.
Feels and drives like more expensive "sports car"
:sharebeer
Literally just had someone walking by while I’m at a stop sign say “Holy #%|? who makes this car?”

- Honda, under 25K. Have a great day.
WVbaron

Post by WVbaron »

This is a timely post for me and have enjoyed reading the comments so far.

I am 38 and save between 40%-50% of my salary each month in my 401K and taxable 3 vanguard funds. I have around $630K invested and on an expat contract abroad which helps w my savings rate.

In the past few months I have spent a bit more money than I am used to on international travel and eating out at a few really nice restaurants. (Appx $5k total).

I still pay myself first each paycheck and within my budget but still feels a bit weird sometimes when I do make a big purchase. Two yrs of reading this site is rubbing off on me... ;)
fposte

Post by fposte »

Massage (though I count that as health care after two back surgeries).
Garden.
Cheese.
Art.

(Car is fifteen years old this year and the mortgage is under $600 a month.)
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

Vacations & Travel. DW and I are in our 30s, don't yet have kids, and are fortunate to have high incomes.

We have been decidedly un-frugal recently with travel, knowing that once little ones come into the picture it will be quite some time before we're able to take these kinds of trips again.

Last year we hit "peak un-frugality" in December. We spent a week in Cabo for our anniversary, and then a few weeks later flew out to California (business class) for NYE in Los Angeles and the Rose Bowl and where DW's alma mater was playing Oklahoma.
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

No plastic bottles in the liquor cabinet.
Toons

Post by Toons »

WVbaron wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 am This is a timely post for me and have enjoyed reading the comments so far.

I am 38 and save between 40%-50% of my salary each month in my 401K and taxable 3 vanguard funds. I have around $630K invested and on an expat contract abroad which helps w my savings rate.

In the past few months I have spent a bit more money than I am used to on international travel and eating out at a few really nice restaurants. (Appx $5k total).

I still pay myself first each paycheck and within my budget but still feels a bit weird sometimes when I do make a big purchase. Two yrs of reading this site is rubbing off on me... ;)
You are saving and investing in excellent fashion.
You are smart to enjoy the fruits of your labor also.
That is great.Excellent Life Balance.
Enjoy the journey. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

elcadarj wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am No plastic bottles in the liquor cabinet.
AMEN

[although I've become quite good at finding quality/delicious booze for under $60 ... what's your poison(s) ?]
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Probably spent more on my garage gym over the years than we did for our brand new car last year.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

daheld wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am I think it's pretty well understood that most of us around here focus our energies on financial responsibility and being good stewards of the money we have. Simply stated, a good portion of the folks here are likely tightwads, especially compared to many of our co-workers, friends, etc. I thought it would be interesting to hear what it is that you don't mind spending money on. I'm not necessarily talking about travel or the like; I also think many of us enjoy experiences over things.

For instance, I absolutely do not obsess about the temperature to which our thermostat is set. We have a "schedule" set, and it's warmer/colder (depending on the season) when we're not home, but I know a lot of people keep their thermostat at 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer--I am simply ok with spending a few extra bucks every month to be comfortable in my own freaking home. If I'm cold in the winter, I turn it up a few degrees. This is not meant to be an insult to any of you thermostat obsessed folks--just not something I really care about. I wear holey underwear and put patches on my jeans instead of buying new ones...like a normal person.

So--what is it that you don't mind spending money on that other Bogleheads might find crazy?

1) Drive a Camaro daily to work and enjoy every bit of acceleration. It's such a treat to drive it.

2) Travel with my wife. We both have 4 weeks of PTO and used it all. We do a lot of adventures, road trips, state parks, national parks, etc.

3) Time I spend to learn and expand my knowledge, both for my career field and my personal life. This might sound strange to you as un-frugal thing, but in my field of work, time = billable hours = money.

4) Time I spend to exercise/work out and meditate for my physical and mental health.

5) For my wife, she plans many different recipes and buys top quality food ingredients. We could have Taco Bell daily (we still have it occasionally), but we go all out when it comes to food and quality of food.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

i refuse to buy coffee/breakfast/lunch during the work week [my goal is spend $0 Monday-Thursday] ... but I have no problem dropping $300 on Saturday Night dinner/drinks.
daheld

Post by daheld »

elcadarj wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am No plastic bottles in the liquor cabinet.
Yeaaahh...I don't go crazy, but over the last few years I've gotten into craft beer. Some guys go nuts spending hundreds of bucks on bottles and beer mail. I haven't gotten that far into it, but I definitely spend more than I used to. Luckily, I live in a great beer city, and I can pretty easily get great stuff that other folks pay 4x as much for on the secondary market.

I lived in Louisville for about 3 years and got to splurge on some really great bourbon. In those days (2010ish), it wasn't unheard of to buy Pappy straight off the shelf. I know, because I did it. Not the case anymore.
WVbaron

Post by WVbaron »

RRAAYY3 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 am
AMEN

[although I've become quite good at finding quality/delicious booze for under $60 ... what's your poison(s) ?]
Love this one! Good life goals :)
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

daheld wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am I thought it would be interesting to hear what it is that you don't mind spending money on.
For me, it's electronics. I have an amazing computer that cost me $2,000 in parts (excluding the monitors, keyboard, mouse, battery backup unit, external hard drive, 5.1 surround sound, headset, controller, printer, and webcam). Just the internals for the tower were $2,000. Cutting edge stuff. My computer cost more than my car.

I also have a huge TV with ten different gaming consoles hooked up to it (and two others that are collectibles sitting sealed in their boxes displayed by the TV), along with the blu-ray player and hundreds of DVDs/Blu-rays in my growing collection of movies. Don't forget the controllers and games for those consoles.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Quality food, eating out(at least twice a week), jewelry(only for Pearls), garden stuff, travel, gifts to my kids, music and entertainment related stuff for my husband like cable TV(have not downsized yet). In fact I spend money on things I like, I just don’t like to waste it. I only post on the frugal thread for fun. Haha.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am Quality food, eating out(at least twice a week), jewelry(only for Pearls), garden stuff, travel, gifts to my kids, music and entertainment related stuff for my husband like cable TV(have not downsized yet). In fact I spend money on things I like, I just don’t like to waste it. I only post on the frugal thread for fun. Haha.
the frugal thread is downright disturbing at times ...
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Enjoy living in the great cities of the world.

Post by 123 »

We have two separate print (we both prefer hard copy) subscriptions to the Wall Street Journal (always at discounted rates of some kind though). One spouse is a paper krinkler/folder so separate subscriptions is the only way we can each enjoy our own pristine copies. Cheaper than divorce.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:37 am OP: If you search for the word "Splurge" you will find many multi-post threads on this topic.
Here is a recent one:
viewtopic.php?t=222627
And these about "extravagance," with more than 300 posts between them:

viewtopic.php?t=36702

viewtopic.php?t=58437

There's very little that's completely new under the Boglehead sun, and the search box is usually a friend.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I go out of my way to find and buy goods that are Made in America.
Folks think that nearly everything is made in China these days (and in most cases they're right), but I'm constantly impressed by the Made in USA offerings one can find if they simply take a few minutes to review before just blindly making a purchase.
Even Wal-Mart, of all places, is upping the number of USA made items for sale in their stores...browse through the kitchen section for example...you'll find everything from knife sharpeners, cutting boards, and utensils all proudly made in the US.

Sometimes it's not always the cheapest option, but to me it's worth doing.
Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree »

One thing that’s made in America that I will hopefully be very un-frugal about one day is a Tesla. I first drove a Model S in 2013 and have been pining for one ever since. It’s the best car.
foamypirate

Post by foamypirate »

I'm a gear head, so...

I spent a decent chunk of change to convert a perfectly good automatic transmission setup in my classic truck to a manual transmission setup. :oops:
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Things. A nice everyday vehicle, a nice home and a 'fun car'. None are extravagant but all are relatively new and comfortable. The first two are where we spend the lion's share of our time so they are our priority. The 'fun car' is simply that.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

RRAAYY3 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 am
AMEN

My go-tos of late: Martinis made with Bombay Sapphire & Dolin Dry Vermouth, Manhattans made with Four Roses Small Batch & Lillet, Defiant Rye with a splash of water.
keystone

Post by keystone »

For
It is fun.

I love this one! I have a 4 year old Accord that only has 16,000 miles on it and I often think about trading it in for a new car, but I keep reminding myself what a crazy idea that would be.

As for my un-frugal habits, we buy most of our food from Whole Foods and our monthly bill is much larger than what is typical among Bogleheads. Other than that, I leave most of the un-frugal stuff to my wife. :D
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I drive the exact vehicle that is the antithesis of the MrMoneyMustache car......a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I do find that it's very hard to find a snowplow to put onto a Honda Civic or Nissan Leaf, however, so I think I'll just keep it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Simple Simon

Post by Simple Simon »

Gym membership- the most expensive deal on the menu.
Unlimited classes like pilates, ski fit, aqua fit, swim, gym use, wattbike, squash.

In the Winter I probably visit 6 or 7 times per week - sometimes swim in the morning before work and use the gym or a class in the evening. If I had to pay per use I would hesitate, but paying up front once per year takes that feeling away.
Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad »

Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts cards...pretty much addicted at this point.

Also pre-made salads at the grocery store. I don't want to know cost/lb.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton
Que1999

Post by Que1999 »

..... Live in NYC. :|
Toons

Post by Toons »

keystone wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 pm
For
It is fun.

I love this one! I have a 4 year old Accord that only has 16,000 miles on it and I often think about trading it in for a new car, but I keep reminding myself what a crazy idea that would be.

As for my un-frugal habits, we buy most of our food from Whole Foods and our monthly bill is much larger than what is typical among Bogleheads. Other than that, I leave most of the un-frugal stuff to my wife. :D

At my tender age of 67 , :happy
I don't use the mental finance accounting I did for decades,
starting at age 27,to get me where I am today.
My spouse and I ,retired,we see it we think we would enjoy it,
We exchange the funds for the goods,
The clock is ticking :happy
Hey,,,build yourself a 2018 Accord EX-L CVT with Navigation ,
Whatcha livin for :mrgreen:

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-se ... uild-price