OTC supplements without huge bottles?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Naismith

OTC supplements without huge bottles?

Post by Naismith » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 pm

This is a first-world problem, literally. I am preparing to leave for 18 months, serving a full-time mission for my church in Southeast Asia. We are not allowed to ship any medications including supplements, because the local post office will either not deliver or charge a bribe. Some of them do not seem available for purchase. So we are bringing a supply of some of our essential medications and supplements including vitamins, calcium, magnesium, CoQ10, Glucosamine--the typical senior supplements.

We are very limited on weight and space. We are only allowed 3 suitcases, none over 44 pounds. So I find it frustrating that so many bottles are huge but half empty. At one store the same vitamins came in two sized bottles. Both versions had the same type and number of pills, but the display on the end of the aisle had a larger bottle--perhaps a newer bottle on display?

So are there any brands that use bottles that are only big enough for the pills therein?

Loik098

Re: OTC supplements without huge bottles?

Post by Loik098 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Could you purchase or ask for a few smaller, empty vials with lids from your pharmacist? You could then fill each with the supply of your choosing from the larger stock bottles.

If you came to my pharmacy and told me about your predicament, I'd certainly help you out :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Naismith wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 pm
This is a first-world problem, literally. I am preparing to leave for 18 months, serving a full-time mission for my church in Southeast Asia. We are not allowed to ship any medications including supplements, because the local post office will either not deliver or charge a bribe. Some of them do not seem available for purchase. So we are bringing a supply of some of our essential medications and supplements including vitamins, calcium, magnesium, CoQ10, Glucosamine--the typical senior supplements.

We are very limited on weight and space. We are only allowed 3 suitcases, none over 44 pounds. So I find it frustrating that so many bottles are huge but half empty. At one store the same vitamins came in two sized bottles. Both versions had the same type and number of pills, but the display on the end of the aisle had a larger bottle--perhaps a newer bottle on display?

So are there any brands that use bottles that are only big enough for the pills therein?
Could you ask your pharmacist to put them in bottles with labels, and just use whatever is the right size for each?

We do this with actual Rx meds, which so often come with 30 tiny tablets in a plastic bottle big enough for almost a year's worth. We ask for the smallest sized bottle for the quantity. (For small pills, small quantities, even the smallest Rx bottle is still relatively huge.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Naismith wrote:

Supplements can be bulk packed in double zip lock bags and labelled. Don't need the bottles. Also makes things much lighter.
mahalo,
j :D

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 am

What I would do depends on what country you are going to.
The best thing to do would be to keep the pills in the original bottle, so you can show that when you clear customs if required. I might also ask my doctor to put something on letter head saying these are prescribed to you. You can get doctors to write prescriptions for supplements, in fact, you have to if you want a Flex Spending account to reimburse you for them.
Be very careful to research what is allowed by the country you are going to. There are many cases of things being available over-the-counter which either require a prescription or are not allowed in the country you go to. Even something as simple as Aleve, or some cold medicines have gotten people thrown in jail. There is much on the internet about this; see for example https://lifehacker.com/dont-bring-over- ... 1555480629

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am

Most all supplements come in bottles that are significantly larger than needed to hold the contents for ease of filling with machinery and perhaps to make you think you are getting more. Same with food.

Only solution will be to repackage the supplements and as others have said, that could cause issues, so your best bet would be to have a doctor's prescription and get a pharmacist to label the bottles for you.

Another option that you might consider is consolidating the same supplement from different bottles into fewer bottles. I would not mix different supplements into the same bottle in your circumstances.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am

Most of these -- and probably all -- are of no value unless you have a documented deficiency. You can bring an empty suitcase.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:37 am

Naismith wrote:
Without getting too far into medical advice, very credible things I currently read say most dietary supplements are not helpful and may be harmful.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I would be very concerned about "repackaging" even supplements taking them in/out of different countries because it may appear to be drug smuggling.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am
Most of these -- and probably all -- are of no value unless you have a documented deficiency. You can bring an empty suitcase.
True. In most cases in real controlled setting expirements they fail to do anything and also unlike medicines they are largely unregulated and untested and quite often you don’t get what you think you are buying.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/ ... retailers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatl ... le/488798/

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... nd-safety/

woof755

Post by woof755 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:09 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am
True. In most cases in real controlled setting expirements they fail to do anything and also unlike medicines they are largely unregulated and untested and quite often you don’t get what you think you are buying.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/ ... retailers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatl ... le/488798/

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... nd-safety/

You are correct.

Enough is Enough: Stop Wasting Money on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements

http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/17892 ... upplements
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing