Trade my BMW?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ediekrager

Trade my BMW?

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 pm

I currently own a 2013 X3 with 50k miles. One year of the CPO warranty left. No loan...I purchased the vehicle used with cash two years ago for a bit under $30k. KBB currently puts the value just north of $15k. I really like the car, but am unable to do much of the maintenance myself like I would on non-European vehicles. (I can easily do oil changes, brake pd replacement etc on most vehicles, with the exception of Audi and BMW.) Part of me really enjoys keeping a vehicle for a long time and doing the maintenance. Prior to the BMW, I owned and did all the work on a Ford Explorer for 15 years (and 240k miles). Though I like the BMW, I am contemplating a trade on a Toyota Camry or perhaps a Toyota 4Runner (which I could maintain myself). I’m not fond of trading vehicles every few years since it is a money-losing practice. So, should I trade the BMW on a Camry or 4Runner from a financial standpoint? I am financially well off and don’t need the money. But, after a bit of a mid-life crisis (see BMW), I am one again interested in getting the most bang for my buck.
Last edited by ediekrager on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mortfree

Re: Trade my BMW?

Post by mortfree » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Keep the BMW and buy another vehicle

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Repeat after me:
BMW >>> baaaaaad
Toyota >>> gooooood
Now close your eyes and repeat it again slower and slower.

ediekrager

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm
Repeat after me:
BMW >>> baaaaaad
Toyota >>> gooooood
Yes, I understand that. But I already own the BMW. Now what makes the most financial sense?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Keep the BMW until the warranty is about to expire, then shop for something you like that's on the top of the reliability pile.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm

I haven’t experienced much maintenance on cars besides change the fluids and belts. I drive stick and look far ahead so I don’t use the brakes that much.

What kind of maintenance do you expect from a BMW? How reliable is this model? With most of the depreciation gone I’d ask myself the cost of ownership over the next few years because eventually you will buy a new car so that will happen no matter what.

So in the next few years what is depreciation and anticipated repairs/maintenance?

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 pm

ediekrager wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 pm
I currently own a 2013 X3 with 50k miles. One year of the CPO warranty left. No loan...I purchased the vehicle used with cash two years ago for a bit under $30k. KBB currently puts the value just north of $15k. I really like the car, but am unable to do much of the maintenance myself like I would on non-European vehicles. (I can easily do oil changes, brake pd replacement etc on most vehicles, with the exception of Audi and BMW.) Part of me really enjoys keeping a vehicle for a long time and doing the maintenance. Prior to the BMW, I owned and did all the work on a Ford Explorer for 15 years (and 240k miles). Though I like the BMW, I am contemplating a trade on a Toyota Camry or perhaps a Toyota 4Runner (which I could maintain myself). I’m not fond of trading vehicles every few years since it is a money-losing practice. So, should I trade the BMW on a Camry or 4Runner from a financial standpoint? I am financially well off and don’t need the money. But, after a bit of a mid-life crisis (see BMW), I am one again interested in getting the most bang for my buck.
I own a 2016 Toyota Camry, which I bought new. It is a very nice car and I have been happy with it, but the Boglehead in me says I should have bought a used Prius. This is because I only use this vehicle to commute back and forth to work every day and Prius would have fit the bill nicely and saved me some money in gas and insurance. Toyotas are solid cars, you can't go wrong with either one you mentioned. Long term maintenance cost for a Toyota Camry or a 4Runner will be a lot less than a BMW, so that makes financial sense to me.

multiham

Post by multiham » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm

I've had great experiences with 2 BMW's, so I don't understand the bashing. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish as you are looking to trade an SUV on either a passenger car (Camry) or another SUV (4-Runner). Do you need the space and functionality of an SUV or is a car ok? The 4-Runner will not be cheap to buy.

Changing the oil on a BMW X3 is not difficult at all. As long as you can get under the car, you can easily find the splash guard, remove the cover, take out the drain plug and let the oil drain and put it back together. Your oil filter is easy to reach and you just need the right BMW filter wrench to take it out. Haven't changed brake pads since I had a 1977 Datsun 200SX so I can't comment on this.

I would just keep it as you like the X3 and you will lose $ in trading it in which may be more than the cost of routine maintenance.

ediekrager

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

multiham wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm
I've had great experiences with 2 BMW's, so I don't understand the bashing. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish as you are looking to trade an SUV on either a passenger car (Camry) or another SUV (4-Runner). Do you need the space and functionality of an SUV or is a car ok? The 4-Runner will not be cheap to buy.

Changing the oil on a BMW X3 is not difficult at all. As long as you can get under the car, you can easily find the splash guard, remove the cover, take out the drain plug and let the oil drain and put it back together. Your oil filter is easy to reach and you just need the right BMW filter wrench to take it out. Haven't changed brake pads since I had a 1977 Datsun 200SX so I can't comment on this.

I would just keep it as you like the X3 and you will lose $ in trading it in which may be more than the cost of routine maintenance.
This is what I am leaning towards. Other factors may be cost of insurance, regular (Camry) vs premium (Bmw) gas, mileage (I get about 23 combined city and highway with the bmw. Just trying to put all the factors in the hopper and see what makes the most sense.

NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Why can't you do maintenance, brakes, etc on a BMW if you can do them on other cars? Just curious. Never looked at a newer BMW closely.

ediekrager

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm

NibbanaBanana wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm
Why can't you do maintenance, brakes, etc on a BMW if you can do them on other cars? Just curious. Never looked at a newer BMW closely.
I could do an oil change. Brakes would be more difficult because it has an electric parking brake and wear sensors, which adds a good bit of complexity. Or replacing the battery, which is in the trunk. I suppose none of it is impossible (especially with YouTube), but definitely diffferent than anything I have worked on.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 pm

ediekrager wrote:
Is the mid-life crisis over or is it just taking a break? How does one even know :confused

I would keep the X3 and get a Camry or 4Runner.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 pm

ediekrager wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Repeat after me:
BMW >>> baaaaaad
Toyota >>> gooooood
Yes, I understand that. But I already own the BMW. Now what makes the most financial sense?
I was joking. Bogleheads seem to love Honda/Toyota and don't like German Luxury or American Cars (for fairly good reason).
The most financial sense is probably to drive the BMW until it has a costly repair. The longer you keep a car the better.
If you're anxiously waiting for something to go wrong though you should probably make the switch sooner.

ediekrager

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Here is where I am at after the initial discussion...if I trade the bmw on a used Camry (roughly an even dollar amount trade - maybe trade for a 2015-16 Camry), will I come out ahead financially 10 years from now? Or will I lose too much money in the trade to make it back in Toyota value and reliability?

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm

ediekrager wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm
NibbanaBanana wrote:
I could do an oil change. Brakes would be more difficult because it has an electric parking brake and wear sensors, which adds a good bit of complexity. Or replacing the battery, which is in the trunk. I suppose none of it is impossible (especially with YouTube), but definitely diffferent than anything I have worked on.
The wear sensors are easy they don't really add any complexity. I've changed the brakes on my 2011 328 no problem at all. Just need to replace the wear sensor when you replace the brake...plug and play.

Oil changes are no different than other cars either.

The Electronic Parking Brake is the challenge, but even Honda and Mazda are using those now, not sure about Toyota, so you'd run into the same challenge with those cars. If you're moderately tech savvy, you can find the BMW software on forums and use that to release the parking brake and then go about your brake change as usual.

The bigger concern is which engine you have. Do you have the N26 or the N55? The N26 has an issue with the plastic timing chain guides causing the engines to fail. If you've got N55 you're probably fine

(As a side note, an X3 isn't really a midlife crisis car, its just a semi upscale soccer mom car)

ediekrager

Post by ediekrager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm
ediekrager wrote:
NibbanaBanana wrote:
The wear sensors are easy they don't really add any complexity. I've changed the brakes on my 2011 328 no problem at all. Just need to replace the wear sensor when you replace the brake...plug and play.

Oil changes are no different than other cars either.

The Electronic Parking Brake is the challenge, but even Honda and Mazda are using those now, not sure about Toyota, so you'd run into the same challenge with those cars. If you're moderately tech savvy, you can find the BMW software on forums and use that to release the parking brake and then go about your brake change as usual.

The bigger concern is which engine you have. Do you have the N26 or the N55? The N26 has an issue with the plastic timing chain guides causing the engines to fail. If you've got N55 you're probably fine

(As a side note, an X3 isn't really a midlife crisis car, its just a semi upscale soccer mom car)
I’ve got the N55, so no issue there with the timing chain. That engine has incredible power and is absolutely bulletproof. 😎

Interesting idea on the software. I’ve only seen videos of the brake being released manually which is a pita.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Don’t get a 4Runner if you want better gas mileage.

Mine seems to get just under 19 mpg regardless of how I drive it.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 am

Go to the bimmerfest forum and ask for recommendations for an independent mechanic in your area. That can greatly keep down costs. I am bringing my 1998 328i to one this am for a new battery (it's been 5.5 years on the old one.) The 98 has 94K and still runs strong. I am glad I have held on to it.
My 2008 535xi has also proved to be a reliable vehicle.
If you hold the beemers long term, you absorb a lot of the initial cost.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 am

ediekrager wrote:
I can tell you about my personal experience. I had an X5 that I never intended to get rid of. I was quite happy with it, it drove like a dream and felt solid to drive. I had it out of warranty for 2 years before I could not take it anymore.
I spent ~3000 per year on it on maintenance. I think that is generally the price you look to pay for these vehicles in annual expenses. Yours is smaller, and cost might be tad lower.
You will need tires (you might have already realized this) like you need air to breathe. I went through 3 sets of tires in its 68K use with me. Each time the bill was $1600 or so, since we had run flats.
At the end what did it for me was the unreliability. It left me stranded twice in a period of two years. That is two too many for us. So we got rid of it.

I don't think it makes financial sense to sell the car that you own. I would probably earmark 3K for expenses and save per month that much for maintenance. Think of it as a "cost" of having the pleasure to own a BMW. You have paid for depreciation and you should get most of the value out at this point. I personally did not think it was a wise financial decision when we sold ours, but I can not put up with an unreliable car. Your experience might be different.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am

ediekrager wrote:
NibbanaBanana wrote:
You're worrying over nothing. The only difference with the electric parking brake (which is on the rear only) is that you take off the EPB module and retract the piston with a Torx T45 bit, rather than by using a caliper compressor. The wear sensors is just a wire that clips onto the inside brake pad (one per axle) and plugs into a connector somewhere in the fender area (varies by model). Takes an extra 3 minutes, max.

The battery, being in the trunk, is also easier than it is on many modern cars. Particularly my wife's old Sebring, which required removing a front wheel and its fender :annoyed

Oil filter changes are dramatically easier than on any other car I've ever worked on. If your model has a dipstick tube (mine does, but many don't), then with an oil extractor you can do the whole job without even getting under the car. I changed the oil in my 2011 3-series this past weekend literally in my pajamas, only getting one hand slightly dirty when removing the filter.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am

You're worrying over nothing. The only difference with the electric parking brake (which is on the rear only) is that you take off the EPB module and retract the piston with a Torx T45 bit, rather than by using a caliper compressor. The wear sensors is just a wire that clips onto the inside brake pad (one per axle) and plugs into a connector somewhere in the fender area (varies by model). Takes an extra 3 minutes, max.

The battery, being in the trunk, is also easier than it is on many modern cars. Particularly my wife's old Sebring, which required removing a front wheel and its fender :annoyed

Oil filter changes are dramatically easier than on any other car I've ever worked on. If your model has a dipstick tube (mine does, but many don't), then with an oil extractor you can do the whole job without even getting under the car. I changed the oil in my 2011 3-series this past weekend literally in my pajamas, only getting one hand slightly dirty when removing the filter.
I agree with this. I owned an '08 M3 for a number of years and did oil changes, pads/rotors, battery, etc with no problem. I even installed (then removed) a supercharger myself. 80% of working on cars is having to guts to start taking it apart.

I wonder if you aren't mentally talking yourself out of the maintenance because "it's a BMW" and perhaps you're apprehensive about wrenching on a more expensive car? For the types of maintenance you're talking about, you can always start the job and if you get stuck, re-assemble and go to the dealer. Also, check the BMW forums; there is probably a detailed DIY walk-through with pictures for all of these tasks.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am

Keep the BMW. A friend of mine drives the 2009 328i. It breaks sometimes but she enjoys the car. In the long run you will better off keeping. When it falls apart in 10 year get a cheaper car

She made a connection with a B M W mechanic. He fixes the car after hrs at the shop. Saves lots of money that way. C

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am

2013 with 50k and still under warranty. Seems barely broken in.

I would keep until the warranty expires and then maybe reconsider.

The transaction costs will eat your lunch. You won't get quite what you think on your BMW and the new one with taxes and fees will be higher than you think.

Don't just do something. Drive what you have. :wink:
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

investor997

Post by investor997 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

Having owned BMWs (2007 335i, 2008 328i) and Toyota 4Runners (2004), my recommendation is to keep the X3. The 4Runner is a body-on-frame SUV and it drives like it. Unless you plan to drive dirt roads or go off-roading (which I do in mine and I love), there are better vehicles.

Regarding the BMW: As others have stated, routine maintenance isn't challenging. The one thing you can count on are oil leaks. BMWs love to leak oil from valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing gaskets and oil pan gaskets once they reach about 75K miles. You can also count on the N55's electric water pump to go out in the same time frame. The water pump is about a kilobuck to replace. Find a good local independent mechanic.

Our 328i cost about $4K in repairs between about 90K-120K but all the problem spots have been addressed. We budgeted for it. It's at 140K now and drives like a million bucks.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

Sell the BMW. Get a Honda Civic Type-R. Fun to drive, reliable.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:27 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am
And ugly as sin.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 am

ediekrager wrote:
You should have leased. You paid 15k for 2 years of depreciation. They lease for about 5-7k/year over 3 years.:)

You have lost money buying this car. But that happened the day you signed the deal. Swapping it now for a 15k Rav4 (toyota equivalent) would be the financially smart move. That is going to minimize your gas, insurance, repair and so on versus holding the BMW. Obviously this values the benefits of driving the BMW at 0. It is up to you to decide if the premium of owning the BMW going forward is worth it to you or not.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
And really pricey. That is a 40k civic your looking at.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am

yes. they are selling it for 10k above MSRP. Still cheaper than BMW. Just heard VW worker got 45 days vacation and pay raise. Guess who is paying those expensive German cars?

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Repeat after me:
BMW >>> baaaaaad
Toyota >>> gooooood
Now close your eyes and repeat it again slower and slower.
Nope. You're wrong. Toyota is bad.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:10 pm

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 pm

ediekrager wrote:
Changing pads on my 2011 M3 is actually easier than it was on my simple Honda S2000 due to the better hardware they used - big allen bolts that slide into a slot vs. dumb hex head bolts that get rounded out, and pads that clip into place rather than sliding. The brake sensors are a piece of cake as well.

I've replaced the battery in a BMW before. Having it in the trunk is better and easier! Nice and clean, less corrosion than under the hood, and an easier reach. It's a luxurious experience compared to a normal battery replacement.

Oil change is also easy because the filter is usually a replaceable element at the top of the engine bay, vs. the Hondas I've had where you have to get under the car and it's a canister that I always struggle to get a grip on, then when it's off it spills oil all over the suspension arms, subframe, me, etc. So much easier on the BMWs, esp. if you have an oil extractor (inexpensive device that sucks the oil out) - you don't even have to get under the car!

I'd give the maintenance a try before buying a different car, which is usually a money-losing move.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 pm

While it may make sense financially to swap your BMW for a Toyota, humans are not always logical, (see: your midlife crisis). Consider a pendulum swinging to one side and then going to the extreme in the opposite direction. I find people often do this with cars. People switch from a small hatchback to a large SUV and then hate the SUV. Most often it is swapping a fast car to a Prius and then Realizing how slow it is.

I suggest you keep the BMW. When it comes time to sell, go back in steps like a Lexus ES instead of overcorrecting to a Camry.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
And really pricey. That is a 40k civic your looking at.
If you can even find one.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Swansea wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 am
Go to the bimmerfest forum and ask for recommendations for an independent mechanic in your area. That can greatly keep down costs. I am bringing my 1998 328i to one this am for a new battery (it's been 5.5 years on the old one.) The 98 has 94K and still runs strong. I am glad I have held on to it.
We've had discussions on these topics on bimmerfest and it's not clear that an indy is any cheaper. There was a time when they were a lot cheaper than the dealer, but the dealers are now much more competitive. For example, I bought a set of tires for less than it would cost at America's Tire Co a couple of years ago. About 10 years ago, the dealer used to charge a 50% premium over America's Tire Co. The same goes for other services. Most of the time the indys buy the parts from BMW. They might save a few bucks on labor, probably not a lot. And getting it from the dealer, the work is warrantied for 2 yrs, IIRC, and they provide a loaner.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't recommend trading a car. Sell it to a private party and keep the purchase of the other car separate. You can then light two grand on fire if you find you have too much money.

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

anoop wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm
We've had discussions on these topics on bimmerfest and it's not clear that an indy is any cheaper. There was a time when they were a lot cheaper than the dealer, but the dealers are now much more competitive. For example, I bought a set of tires for less than it would cost at America's Tire Co a couple of years ago. About 10 years ago, the dealer used to charge a 50% premium over America's Tire Co. The same goes for other services. Most of the time the indys buy the parts from BMW. They might save a few bucks on labor, probably not a lot. And getting it from the dealer, the work is warrantied for 2 yrs, IIRC, and they provide a loaner.
In my experience it really depends. I think for a given service, they often cost about the same. But sometimes the dealer tries to overcharge you. My wife's Mercedes needed a routine, minor service and the dealer quoted $702 for what amounted to an oil change and inspection, while the local Mercedes specialist did it for $90, and the next year a more major service for $180. I feel like you also get more one-on-one, honest advice vs. a dealer that's just trying to churn cars in and out in one day.

I mainly just don't trust dealers as much, as they don't depend on their reputation as much since many people will just take their car to the dealer regardless. During my most recent BMW dealer visit, I got my car back with the Check Engine light still on. They took it back and I got right back in line for another loaner car. Next day they said I needed two VANOS actuators for $1,100. I researched online and called BS, as this had never been a problem until my car arrived at their lot, so I took the car home and reset the CEL myself. Never had a problem after that, 20 months later. I'm pretty sure they just forgot to reset the CEL and made up an excuse later to cover their butts and make some extra $$.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:03 pm

ediekrager wrote:
I really like the car, but am unable to do much of the maintenance myself like I would on non-European vehicles. (I can easily do oil changes, brake pd replacement etc on most vehicles, with the exception of Audi and BMW.)
Imo (and experience), the high cost of these vehicles is not the "routine" maintenance; it's the catastrophic one-offs. (If it were a true exotic, even the routine stuff would break the bank.) The few $hundred you will save here and there doing your own oil and brake-pads is likely not worth the wasted $thousands in transitioning to another vehicle. (If you're valuing it via KBB, that means you would trade it in and leave at least $5K on the table for sure.)

The real question is whether you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, keep it. If you don't, try something different. "Well off" plus "mid-life crisis" -- the world's your oyster!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Or juest get a Toyota and forget about BMW. A car is just a transportation from A to B. If yiu wand to have fun, rent a BMW for day ride.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:53 pm

From the description of the brake wear sensors, I can say that they seem to not have changed since I did them on an 81 320i that we used to own. The brakes on that car were worlds easier than today's Hondas or Subarus (I've had all these cars).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 pm

anoop wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm
Swansea wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 am
Depends very much upon your dealer...in Maryland, the dealer charged me $500 plus to replace a battery, indie about $350...dealer brake flush, $170, indie $90. Also, the dealer provides loaners selectively.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 pm

I'd caution against getting a Camry, which might make another mid-life crisis at least slightly more likely! I have not driven the latest Camry, redesigned for model year 2018, which is supposed to be much better, but at least for the last two decades or so Toyota has been on cruise control, trading on the Camry's reputation. The driving dynamics and build quality have stagnated while other automakers have upped their game. They're mechanically reliable and have great resale value, but there are other cars fitting that description. If you want something with good resale value and reliability that isn't soul-sucking to drive, a Mazda or Honda would be a good choice.

emoore

Post by emoore » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 am
yes. they are selling it for 10k above MSRP. Still cheaper than BMW. Just heard VW worker got 45 days vacation and pay raise. Guess who is paying those expensive German cars?
VW has nothing to do with BMW.

OP, I'd just keep the BMW until you have issues or want a new car. I've known a few people with over 150k miles on their X3s so it's possible to keep it a long time.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 pm

ediekrager wrote:
I am financially well off and don’t need the money.
ediekrager wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm
Here is where I am at after the initial discussion...if I trade the bmw on a used Camry (roughly an even dollar amount trade - maybe trade for a 2015-16 Camry), will I come out ahead financially 10 years from now? Or will I lose too much money in the trade to make it back in Toyota value and reliability?
Who cares? You can't take it with you. Drive the car you want to drive. The cost difference is fairly insignificant.

Same with doing your own oil changes or taking it in to a mechanic. If you like doing oil changes, do it yourself and you might save a few bucks and know you've done it right, or pay a few extra bucks to a competent mechanic. Either way, do whatever gives you more satisfaction.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm

ediekrager wrote:
but am unable to do much of the maintenance myself like I would on non-European vehicles. (I can easily do oil changes, brake pd replacement etc on most vehicles, with the exception of Audi and BMW.)
Sorry, but that makes no sense.

MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:12 pm

I have both a 2012 Camry XLE and 2012 4Runner. Both very reliable and easy to work on. Do you need the the fwd or towing capacity?

There is quite a difference in gas consumption between the two.

I've had a number of camrys and its hard to go wrong, although I hear great things about the new Accord