Secure File-Share Service for Small NPO

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Secure File-Share Service for Small NPO

Post by fishmonger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm on the board for our local youth baseball league that serves roughly 600 kids. To put it mildly, the storage and record retention policies are a mess. There's a few longtime members who have things saved here or there, in boxes, or "somewhere." I'm pretty confident that if we had an IRS audit for example, it would be a nightmare to find certain documentation.

I'd like to get some of this information in electronic format and saved on a shared drive of some sort, maybe in the cloud? My main concern is that board positions do turnover and some of this institutional knowledge and records would be lost.

Realize that we also hold confidential information - bank records, tax filings, background checks we run on coaches/volunteers, etc. Thinking out loud, it would be ideal for us to have maybe two levels of security on records - one for general use (mainly notices, minutes, etc), and one with more security for confidential info.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

bampf

Re: Secure File-Share Service for Small NPO

Post by bampf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 pm

You can create a google account for the association and then get a google drive. Pretty easy to organize via a web based interface. You can share certain folders with certain people (or documents for that matter). For background checks and sensitive information you can password protect or encrypt the files that you store on the cloud. Most document generating programs have password protection built in. You can also decide to do something like secure drop box. That works as well. Depends on your level of tech savvy users and or your ability to spend money. Good luck.

--Bampf

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks, we currently have a Google share drive, but I wasn't sure if that was secure enough for the sensitive information. Good point on password protecting the sensitive documents

jeroly

Post by jeroly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 pm

1. Make sure you use 2 Factor Authentication, and Google services are pretty secure.
2. Look into TechSoup which can hook you up with free G Suites for Nonprofits.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

+1 on that tech soup option

My old work used gsuite, a public library
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Many organizations got into this sort of mess because every eager new person who comes along sees that the organization has a mess of old systems and adds a new system that should solve all the problems. IMHO the way to simplify is to get rid of things instead of adding them, if you are not getting rid of things you are not helping. There's a lot to be said for a couple of bound ledgers with acid free paper.

(Comic by Randall Munroe at xkcd.com)