Do you use an app locker on your phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Do you use an app locker on your phone?

Post by squirm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm

I use Norton app locker to lock Outlook (which also links to my work email) and a few other apps. My banks already have a logon process, but I wonder if it's useful to include those.

oldcomputerguy

Re: Do you use an app locker on your phone?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm

I don’t do anything related to finances on my phone. I’ve never heard of an app locker. What does it do?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm
I don’t do anything related to finances on my phone. I’ve never heard of an app locker. What does it do?
The app locker will not let you open up an app without a passcode or fingerprint. It's basically another layer of security. Since mobile phones can easily get into the wrong hands, it makes sense to add it to important applications, IMO.

Biffer

Post by Biffer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm

I have App Locker on my Android phone. I have it set up to require me to swipe a pattern to access any of my apps with even moderately sensitive information: my banking apps, email, Google drive, etc. It doesn't require a swipe for maps, calculator, etc. It's a little inconvenient, but I like having an extra barrier if I am ever separated from my phone for some reason.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 am

squirm wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 pm
The app locker will not let you open up an app without a passcode or fingerprint. It's basically another layer of security. Since mobile phones can easily get into the wrong hands, it makes sense to add it to important applications, IMO.
No. I don't think I understand the point of this application.

Not trying to be snarky, but is this what you'd use if you still think a 4-digit passcode on your phone or a 4-point swipe pattern is "secure" enough? Further, and again, no intention of excessive snark here, I haven't heard anything in the past few years that indicates using a fingerprint for anything digital-security related is a good idea -- not only can they be lifted (yes, you likely have to be targeted, which most people aren't) but you can be coerced/forced into using a fingerprint from US officials, but they cannot force you to divulge a passcode. So, this gets us down to adding another passcode to specific applications on a mobile device.

I genuinely don't understand the point of such an application, aside from attempting to compartmentalize sensitive, but not important, information. I'm always open to better methods of security, but this seems fake and artificial. If 2FA isn't good enough, then make it 3FA (?) with an app locker? I don't know. I might be missing the point here. What exactly is it providing in terms of security? Some folks have access to your phone (e.g., spouse) but you don't want them to have access to specific applications? Again, I don't understand what this app locker does in the big picture.