Gorilla Tape for Labels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Gorilla Tape for Labels?

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 am

Hi there, I have some heavy duty boxes ready to go into long term storage. Heavy duty yes, but still made from very thick plastic.

I need to label them so I have a record of the contents.

It's hard to find tape that sticks to plastic over the long term.

I was thinking of writing out the contents on white cards like 3 x5 cards, then applying a heavy duty clear tape on top of the card, affixed to the box.

Does anyone have experience with Gorilla tape, maybe even Gorilla clear tape? or know whether it would work for this purpose? Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Jimbo9911

Re: Gorilla Tape for Labels?

Post by Jimbo9911 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

Why not just write on the container itself with a Sharpie and then tape over that writing if you ever need to change the contents label?

Jim

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 am

Two things you might consider:

Number the boxes with a permanent marker and keep an inventory of the items in them in an electronic document for reference. You can also print out the inventory for each box and put it inside the box for easy reference when actually opening the box.

Rather than try to stick something to the plastic bin that will eventually loosen and fall off, attach a tag using zipper or cable ties, similar to hanging a luggage tag on a suitcase. You can even get heavy paper tags with wires pre-attached. There are often holes under the rim of large plastic storage bins that you could use or you can punch some with an ice pick or awl or drill them if the plastic is too thick. You only need a single hole if you use something inside like a washer.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

A Sharpie would work great. It can be wiped off with isopropyl alcohol.

b.lock

Post by b.lock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

The clear plastic tape over a piece of paper should work well for being stored indoors, it always has for me. I think the "luggage tags" tag idea is also good.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 pm

b.lock wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am
The clear plastic tape over a piece of paper should work well for being stored indoors, it always has for me.
I do that too. Or specifically using 3 x 5 cards.

I'd prefer to use Sharpies but the plastic storage containers are a dark color and black or blue sharpies don't show up well on dark plastic.

Is there such a thing as white sharpies? Do they show up well?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

The boxes are black. I definitely think the luggage tag suggestion is doable, thanks! I had not even considered that option.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm
The boxes are black.
You could probably use a permanent metallic marker to write on black plastic.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 pm
Barefootgirl wrote:
The boxes are black.
Would one of those work with a black flash drive?

I have a bunch of black SanDisk drives that I apply little stick-on labels to and I'm looking for something better.

I'm assuming that the metallic markers should be bought in regular size for big boxes and fine point for flash drives?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 pm

azurekep wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
The boxes are black.

I have a bunch of black SanDisk drives that I apply little stick-on labels to and I'm looking for something better.

I'm assuming that the metallic markers should be bought in regular size for big boxes and fine point for flash drives?
Yes, it would work, and I agree that a finer tip would be better for flash drives and a larger tip for boxes.

Something else you might consider for flash drives is fingernail polish. If you don't have ready access to different colors, you can sometimes get nail polish at a dollar store. Works for keys, too.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 pm
azurekep wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
The boxes are black.

Yes, it would work, and I agree that a finer tip would be better for flash drives and a larger tip for boxes.

Something else you might consider for flash drives is fingernail polish. If you don't have ready access to different colors, you can sometimes get nail polish at a dollar store. Works for keys, too.
Good idea about the nail polish...and looking for it at a dollar store. I was considering it for the keys. It uses little brushes though. I don't think I could manuever a brush to write on a flash drive. But who knows.

I'm liking the idea of the metallic Sharpies. I found a YouTube vid and the silver ones would go great with black plastic.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm

azurekep wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 pm
Good idea about the nail polish...and looking for it at a dollar store. I was considering it for the keys. It uses little brushes though. I don't think I could manuever a brush to write on a flash drive. But who knows.
Yes, I think nail polish is best for applying a spot of color to be able to tell one key or one flash drive from another rather than to write anything.

If you are having trouble with labels sticking to a flash drive, it might work to wrap a larger label all the way around so that it also sticks to itself.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm
If you are having trouble with labels sticking to a flash drive, it might work to wrap a larger label all the way around so that it also sticks to itself.
Too late now. ;)

About a year ago, I bought little labels -- 1/2" by 3/4". Surely they would fit, right?

And they did. Perfectly. They just didn't stick.

Unfortunately, they're too small to wrap around, and I'm out of the larger labels. :D

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 am

I use a P-touch label maker and the their tape to label plastic totes in my garage. Many of the labels have been on for ten or more years with no signs of deterioration. The last 4 years have been in a climate where the garage reaches 120 degrees or more in the summer.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Taz

Post by Taz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:01 am

Craft paint pens.
The destination matters.