Martha’s Vineyard: Is 2 weeks too long of a vacation there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Muri

Martha’s Vineyard: Is 2 weeks too long of a vacation there?

Post by Muri » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 pm

We have never been to Martha’s Vineyard. We can go for 1 or 2 weeks. Do you think 2 weeks is too long? Thank you.

Dottie57

Re: Martha’s Vineyard: Is 2 weeks too long of a vacation there?

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Muri wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 pm
We have never been to Martha’s Vineyard. We can go for 1 or 2 weeks. Do you think 2 weeks is too long? Thank you.

Depends ob how active you are and what you like to do. Me .. I can spend 2 weeks reading, out on the beach, cooking nice meals, sleeping late. I would love a low activity vacation. You might hate that?

Muri

Post by Muri » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I would probably be ok w it. My understanding is that there are good bike paths, small towns, beaches, and places to eat out. It does sound very relaxing.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Two weeks is great there. Plenty to do whether active or relaxing or both. It usually takes most of the first week to really settle into the relaxing part. :happy

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Three days in traffic to get there and three days in traffic to get home, so makes sense. And that's from Boston :D .

Should be perfect if you're renting a house and just doing the beach thing. My family would not go for that (we're "bad relaxers"), but a sib's family did this a few times and loved it.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm

As one who can daytrip there, I'd say it all depends on the weather. What time of year are you going? Summers are crowded in the towns. Hope you don't get a week of drizzle. Best time to go is September or early October.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

chw

Post by chw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm

If you have the budget for it, should be fine. Just a suggestion - perhaps consider taking the second week on Nantucket which IMO is more scenic and laid back. I believe there may be ferry service between the islands, but may be passenger only. If a car is needed, you could take the auto ferry to Hyannis from MV, and then take the auto ferry to Nantucket from Hyannis. If considering this, book your ferry reservations soon, as they fill up for weekend summer travel.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Slapshot wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm
As one who can daytrip there, I'd say it all depends on the weather. What time of year are you going? Summers are crowded in the towns. Hope you don't get a week of drizzle. Best time to go is September or early October.
Today we booked a week in MVY for mid-October. That will be our 5th trip; all but one has been in the late fall, and we've been lucky with the weather. The outlier was in May, and we soon discovered how water temperature can result in a very cold May.

We always stay in Edgartown, and always buy a 1-week bus pass on the island. I can't imagine visiting during season. For us, 1 week is perfect and 2 would be too much.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Surely you jest.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 am

Answer might depend on your total vacation/travel budget for the year, both time and money.
I travel 12 weeks or more per year in retirement now.
Back when I worked for a living, I had four weeks vacation, so I had to balance competing desires.

So I'm more likely to do longer trips now compared to back then...
Attempted new signature...

jcavana1

Post by jcavana1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 am

I think it depends on the person. If you enjoy the slow life and reading on the beach, two weeks would be fine.

If you prefer seeing touristy sights, trying new restaurants etc. Then I think 2 weeks is too long.

It is definitely possible to do Martha's vineyard in a day and get a feel for what the island is and cross it off your bucket list, as they say.

Alternatively, it is a beautiful quiet place and if that appeals to you then I could see enjoying two weeks of reading on the beach and biking around.

Personally, I would prefer not to do more than a week. As others suggested, I would rather do 1 week on MV, maybe a week on Nantucket or elsewhere on the Cape.

Enjoy!

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 am

Yes, two weeks is too long, at least for us. Much more to do on the Cape. It really depends on what you’re looking for in your travels. Less to do on MV than on the Cape.

(Edited so it makes sense)
Last edited by GoldenFinch on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 am

When we went, we stayed for 1 week as part of a 3 week vacation in the northeast ranging from Martha's Vineyard to the south, up through Maine, into Canada, back through Vermont and ending up in Boston. That was just about right. It's not that big an island. We saw the major beaches, ate at some nice places, did some cycling and even saw a movie. I definitely recommend going there, but 1 week was just about perfect for us.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:14 am

If you're looking for someplace to just escape, wind down and relax, I think it'll be fine, then again lots of places would be fine for that. Personally, I was rather underwhelmed by Martha's Vineyard, a daytrip for me was plenty.