Bogleheads with $100K+ MSRP cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
eucalyptus

Re: Bogleheads with $100K+ MSRP cars?

Post by eucalyptus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 am

‘17 Vanquish. Wanted an old school 12 cyl with relatively understated styling.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 am

Cyclesafe wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am
I scratched the itch with a Porsche Macan Turbo. It handles very well for an SUV and is far faster than I like to drive. Never once used launch control. Get lots of compliments.

However, the car draws lots of envy too. Several snarky comments, a minor keying, a break-in. Worries about parking lot dings and errant shopping carts. Although I have had my eye on a 991.2 base, I'm thinking now of abandoning this idea a getting a sleeper Golf instead. Less hassle. Those snarking have been disinherited. No point in risking the irony of them immediately splurging on a new Porsche after my demise.
Stealthy is the way to go with cars because you have to leave them in public on the streets (unless it's a "point A to point A" car). Anything that draws attention will eventually draw the wrong kind of attention. Not worth it in my experience - more anxiety and headache than joy.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am

visualguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 am
Cyclesafe wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 am
I scratched the itch with a Porsche Macan Turbo. It handles very well for an SUV and is far faster than I like to drive. Never once used launch control. Get lots of compliments.

However, the car draws lots of envy too. Several snarky comments, a minor keying, a break-in. Worries about parking lot dings and errant shopping carts. Although I have had my eye on a 991.2 base, I'm thinking now of abandoning this idea a getting a sleeper Golf instead. Less hassle. Those snarking have been disinherited. No point in risking the irony of them immediately splurging on a new Porsche after my demise.
Stealthy is the way to go with cars because you have to leave them in public on the streets (unless it's a "point A to point A" car). Anything that draws attention will eventually draw the wrong kind of attention. Not worth it in my experience - more anxiety and headache than joy.
I can agree to that. I had a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS before my Porsche Turbo and I wanted it because of its rarity and it was one of my dream cars growing up. Well, it got to the point where I was just to scared to drive the car/leave it somewhere for an extender period of time (e.g. going to dinner, see a movie, etc.) because I was worried someone would vandalize it. It also isn't the kind of car you want to drive into work with on a random weekday seeing that there are people in my practice who make $100-$300K more than me and are the ones driving the Prius/old cars. Can't really fly under the radar.

With the Turbo, to non-car people, it is just another "Porsche". However, as I type this, I'm debating between a 991 Turbo, a R8 and a McLaren...two of those 3 I have a feeling would draw even more attention than what I got with the Viper

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 am

Tesla I can understand - the others I have no clue what they look like. But here is my experience from this weekend. I was driving for a weekend activity on local roads and saw in my rear view mirror this car that looked like it was coming out from a Formula1 race. It was hugging the ground, looked more miniature than a Miata. It overtook me and sped away - I caught up with it at the next signal. Rinse and repeat a few times. Finally, got to a signal when he was still stopped when I got to the signal.

Turns out it was a Lotus. How much do those babies cost?

Disclaimer: I cannot identify esoteric car logos from afar by sight, unlike DS who can :oops:

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 am
Hey! Get off my frugality forum! :D

That car's amazing in every way. Not quite as "understated" as Astons used to be. It's a big responsibility. And to think I worry about scuffing my shoes.

Wasn't sure if this was a troll post so since I'm snowed in with only my over-torqued RWD on summer tires (spouse took the "snow car"), I checked out a few of your other posts. Even if you are a troll, kudos on the internal consistency of your online persona! :D

As livesoft recently observed (and I'm paraphrasing), if you're gonna live vicariously through someone, there are better choices than Jack Bogle...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am
eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 am
Hey! Get off my frugality forum! :D

That car's amazing in every way. Not quite as "understated" as Astons used to be. It's a big responsibility. And to think I worry about scuffing my shoes

Wasn't sure if this was a troll post so since I'm snowed in with only my over-torqued RWD on summer tires (spouse took the "snow car"), I checked out a few of your other posts. Even if you are a troll, kudos on the internal consistency of your online persona! :D

As livesoft recently observed (and I'm paraphrasing), if you're gonna live vicariously through someone, there are better choices than Jack Bogle...

Well, insisting I’m not a troll won’t help!

The current crop of exotics is, to my aging eye, very aggressive. I love the McLarens, the Ferrari 12s and even, I’m a little embarrassed to admit, the over the top Aventador. I chose the Vanquish because it’s somewhat less high profile, and I really wanted an old school big 12 cylinder before they disappear forever.

The Vanquish is a great car and a bizarre mix of up to date (all composite) and dinosaur. No keyless remote entry? Push a button to switch from reverse to drive? I think the tilt-up nav/audio screen and pop-up tweeters are destined to fail earlier than one might hope.

The next Vanquish or DBS might be a better car, especially if it has a Mercedes engine. The DB11 signals more futuristic styling and I just feel too conspicuous driving a spaceship.

If you PM me an email address, I’ll send photos.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 pm

You mentioned you paid cash. So you paid it all up front or you financed that?
Wrote a check for $160k. I know vs financing its a bad financial decision x2, but my wife insisted I feel the pain once vs seeing the monthly payment go out of the account. I don't like debt either so...

Funny thing is that's roughly the same amount I wrote for the 20% downpayment of our house a few weeks before.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm

The next Vanquish or DBS might be a better car, especially if it has a Mercedes engine. The DB11 signals more futuristic styling and I just feel too conspicuous driving a spaceship.
The DB11 is fantastically beautiful. There's a few around here in the north Dallas area, but the best looking one I've seen was white with glass chips in the paint and a peanut butter interior.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 pm

carguyny wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 pm
I have a McLaren 720s, 991 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3 Cup Car. Non sports cars I prefer to stick to less than $100k as they never really drive the same.
Living the dream!! That's a fantastic lineup.

I agree on the non-sports cars. My wife was looking at the turbo macan and GLE63, but decided to stick with her 2012 explorer. As much as I'd like an AMG sedan vs my Challenger, I can't justify the luxury car price for a non-sports car.

lws

Post by lws » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm

I looked at one but I could not bring myself to part with the money.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am

I can agree to that. I had a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS before my Porsche Turbo and I wanted it because of its rarity and it was one of my dream cars growing up. Well, it got to the point where I was just to scared to drive the car/leave it somewhere for an extender period of time (e.g. going to dinner, see a movie, etc.) because I was worried someone would vandalize it. It also isn't the kind of car you want to drive into work with on a random weekday seeing that there are people in my practice who make $100-$300K more than me and are the ones driving the Prius/old cars. Can't really fly under the radar.

With the Turbo, to non-car people, it is just another "Porsche". However, as I type this, I'm debating between a 991 Turbo, a R8 and a McLaren...two of those 3 I have a feeling would draw even more attention than what I got with the Viper
I'd say the fear when taking the car out is very dependent on location. For instance, I moved to the north Dallas area a bit over a year ago. In my last city where I grew up, I'd never own a super nice car. They stuck out like a sore thumb and were ripe for vandalism. Even when I bought my Challenger I was concerned almost everywhere I went.

Here there are valets at almost everywhere we go for date night, and having a car like the GT3 means literally pulling into the valet turn in and leaving it there, keys in my pocket. It's a very public spot with attendants so nobody will mess with it. At restaurants if all the spots are taken I've had valets ask me which spot I want and they will move the car so I can self-park.

I've gone from being worried all the time about leaving my car to being very confident. If there's no up front parking, I just don't drive it. Pretty simple.

I do take it to work, the campus has several thousand people and multiple covered parking garages so I've got my favorite spots. I typically park near to the 996 Turbo :)

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:31 pm

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm
...and I really wanted an old school big 12 cylinder before they disappear forever.
I know you're for real -- was just giving you a hard time! It was just such a casual-sounding post. Like on a thread about whether you keep your jewelry in a safe deposit box, and someone says "We keep a few things at home but the rest is in the Tower of London."

Agreed on the V12. Guy down the street has an SL65 and I just love hearing that thing drive by. Inexplicable in our modest neighborhood (new, the car would have been half the price of the house), but I don't think anyone else even notices it.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Mercedes 2500 Class B
We use it as a second vehicle.
Justification?
No need for that.
It is what we wanted.

8-)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 pm

TimeMan wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm
I'd say the fear when taking the car out is very dependent on location. For instance, I moved to the north Dallas area a bit over a year ago. In my last city where I grew up, I'd never own a super nice car. They stuck out like a sore thumb and were ripe for vandalism. Even when I bought my Challenger I was concerned almost everywhere I went.
Yep. I have Ferraris (just the cheap ones:)) street parked in SF and nobody really notices. Some other parts of the country people look at you when you show up in a BMW 3 series. Funny enough you could drive a pickup with a 30k+ higher MSRP and nobody would care. And obviously some people love the attention so it is a plus.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm
I used to have a backhoe that was almost that much, and an excavator that was pretty pricey.
They are a blast to "drive" but go very very slow.
j :D
I drive a vehicle for only four weeks a year that retails for almost $600,000.

http://blog.machinefinder.com/wp-conten ... 507870.jpg

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Interesting thread.... Life's 2 short and cars are fun... I remember seeing an interview with Stevie Wonder and he commented on wishing he could drive and it made me think..... I happened on a spruce green Bentley Continental GT one day and can't seem to get it outa my head... Maybe next year....

Daily driver today is a 2017 Cadillac XT5... I like it but, maybe a Bentley is in my future....

Just my $0.02... Peace....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Does 2 vehicles count.

2016 Chevy Truck 55k
2016 Chevy Camaro ZL1 65k

edge

Post by edge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

I would get a Cayman GTS over the base 911 models. I don't spend anywhere near 100k/car. I guess I could if I wanted but it never seemed worth it. And too much attention. Unwanted attention.

davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Hummer H2. $78,000 for the car and $22,900 per year in gasoline costs. 8 MPG and have a 80 mile round trip to work + trips with the family

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm

NYCguy wrote:
TimeMan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm
I have a Porsche 991 GT3. I bought it 2 years old with 2k miles, but it was only about $5k below MSRP. Prices have dropped ~10-15% since the new 991.2 came out though.

It's an incredible addiction. Before my winfall I bought a new 2011 Challenger, first new car I've ever bought for myself (at 35yo). I thought it would be enough power as I'd never had anything that fast. 9 months later I end up dumping 2x the MSRP into modifications to get it to around 800 crank HP.

After driving the GT3 for a year, I refuse to sell the Challenger as I'd take an enormous loss, but it feels like driving a brick even with all that power. It's now my rainy day car.

I feel like the GT3 has spoiled me. I want other, more expensive exotics (Mclaren, Lambo), but I know none of them will drive like this, so I'm content. Plus I stay active in the car scene here and get plenty of time to drool and live vicariously.

Yes I paid cash for a car that cost over 50% more than my first house who's note I struggled to pay just 13 years prior. However it was a gift to myself after 15 years of the start-up life, long hours and high stress.

Was it a wise financial decision? Hell no. Do I regret it? Hell no.

I still manage to put away 35% of my income into 401k and post-tax, and while I cannot quit working, I'm doing exceptional for my age and education. If I weren't doing that, different story all together though.

I figure by the time I'm 60 I likely won't be able to get in and out of one of these cars, so might as well enjoy it while I'm physically able to. Bad backs come from both sides of my family!

This is not to brag, just making a point that there's a LOT of different scenarios in the Boglehead group. Everyone has their justifications for their decisions. So long as you are being responsible with your savings rate, go for it.

For instance, I had spec'ed a 991.2 Turbo S and placed it on order. When I looked at the depreciation on those, I backed out and bought the used GT3 instead. The GT3s do depreciate, but not NEAR what a new Lambo or Turbo S does in the first few years, even with a new model released. THAT to me was not justifiable. To others it is.

Enjoy life at your own risk level :)
Congrats and nice. I’m guessing kids are not in your scene.

Ps. The new GT3 is really slick. You are right that you will not find a better high-performance daily driver. Stunning cars.

Gentlemen or ladies:
Can you tell us more about GT3 as a daily driver (instead of a track car). I am considering a 2015 version. The competing TTS is another option. I do not track, and this would be a third car for weekend fun. I like the gt3 depreciation better than the turbo. What thoughts?

Ilove the array of wonderful cars on this thread. A vanquish! Nice.

Not interested in cayman or corvette, thats a different type of car and range for me,

iamcam

Post by iamcam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 am

A 2015 Mercedes Benz GL63 AMG

It was the fastest I could get seven people down the road at the time aside from a Tesla S with the rear-facing third row, and DW didn’t want the Tesla. It’s DW’s daily-driver; I’m in a 2016 BMW M2 which doesn’t meet your criteria in terms of MSRP. I’ll be honest and admit that, at times, I do have some financial regret about the purchase, but never while I’m behind the wheel! It needed front brakes last week and that was a four-figure expense!!!! We paid cash for the car when it was new, but toward the end of the model-year and received a decent discount off MSRP. I do consider selling it at times, but oh what a feeling to have a hand-built 5.5 liter bi-turbo v8 German engine making 550 hp pull you down the road!

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

The car I drive is a 08 Honda accord with 220k miles. I might be able to get 2k for it.

I have a bicycle with about 2k wrapped up into it and a spare worth another 550 or so.

I can't believe I bought a bike worth 2k that can only be ridden for recreation. Not the same order of magnitude, but still.

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm

I was wondering when we get the first completely unrelated " I drive a jalopy" post that derails these threads . :oops:

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm

This thread is very interesting, even for those of us who are not "car people." Valuable to know how others think since we can always learn something new. Thanks.

Tim

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm

sambb wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm
NYCguy wrote:
TimeMan wrote:
I have a Porsche 991 GT3. I bought it 2 years old with 2k miles, but it was only about $5k below MSRP. Prices have dropped ~10-15% since the new 991.2 came out though.

It's an incredible addiction. Before my winfall I bought a new 2011 Challenger, first new car I've ever bought for myself (at 35yo). I thought it would be enough power as I'd never had anything that fast. 9 months later I end up dumping 2x the MSRP into modifications to get it to around 800 crank HP.

After driving the GT3 for a year, I refuse to sell the Challenger as I'd take an enormous loss, but it feels like driving a brick even with all that power. It's now my rainy day car.

I feel like the GT3 has spoiled me. I want other, more expensive exotics (Mclaren, Lambo), but I know none of them will drive like this, so I'm content. Plus I stay active in the car scene here and get plenty of time to drool and live vicariously.

Yes I paid cash for a car that cost over 50% more than my first house who's note I struggled to pay just 13 years prior. However it was a gift to myself after 15 years of the start-up life, long hours and high stress.

I still manage to put away 35% of my income into 401k and post-tax, and while I cannot quit working, I'm doing exceptional for my age and education. If I weren't doing that, different story all together though.

I figure by the time I'm 60 I likely won't be able to get in and out of one of these cars, so might as well enjoy it while I'm physically able to. Bad backs come from both sides of my family!

This is not to brag, just making a point that there's a LOT of different scenarios in the Boglehead group. Everyone has their justifications for their decisions. So long as you are being responsible with your savings rate, go for it.

For instance, I had spec'ed a 991.2 Turbo S and placed it on order. When I looked at the depreciation on those, I backed out and bought the used GT3 instead. The GT3s do depreciate, but not NEAR what a new Lambo or Turbo S does in the first few years, even with a new model released. THAT to me was not justifiable. To others it is.

Ps. The new GT3 is really slick. You are right that you will not find a better high-performance daily driver. Stunning cars.

Gentlemen or ladies:
Can you tell us more about GT3 as a daily driver (instead of a track car). I am considering a 2015 version. The competing TTS is another option. I do not track, and this would be a third car for weekend fun. I like the gt3 depreciation better than the turbo. What thoughts?

Not interested in cayman or corvette, thats a different type of car and range for me,
I have a ridden in a friend’s GT3 several time and drive a TTS daily. I view the GT3 more as a track car whereas the TTS is completely subtle on civilian roads and capable of going toe to toe on the track with the GT3. I see the TTS as more versatile. I agree with your point about depreciation. Enjoy.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:46 pm

MSRP on two of our cars, when adjusted for inflation, would be more that $100k each. Does that count?

1999 Porsche 911
2003 Porsche 911

We paid approximately $30k total for both cars. Could still get pretty close to $30k today if we wanted to sell them both fast.
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm

NYCguy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm
sambb wrote:

Gentlemen or ladies:

I have a ridden in a friend’s GT3 several time and drive a TTS daily. I view the GT3 more as a track car whereas the TTS is completely subtle on civilian roads and capable of going toe to toe on the track with the GT3. I see the TTS as more versatile. I agree with your point about depreciation. Enjoy.
I like the visceral feel of the GT3, but then too the roads are all brand new here so ride quality is not a factor. The freeway acceleration of the 991.1 Turbo S I drove was incredible though, like a jet taking off.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes but is the GT3 really that much worse than the TTS on the roads?
Both can be had in the 100+ range with pdk

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm

NYCguy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm
sambb wrote:
NYCguy wrote:
TimeMan wrote:

Gentlemen or ladies:

What model TTS do you daily? I have a 997 TT 6 speed as my weekend car and looking to upgrade to a 991 TTS and wanted to get your thoughts.

mffl

Post by mffl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm

I drive a Polaris Slingshot and I've had a bunch of people *think* it cost over 100k MSRP, does that count? :D

srt7

Post by srt7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:51 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

And yeah you can buy them cheaper after 3 years. Your TCO ownership is still going to be high compared to your other options. Accept it and enjoy it.
Good point. I like cars but have always gone with the reliable ones. I will keep this in mind on my next shopping trip.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm

mffl wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm
I drive a Polaris Slingshot and I've had a bunch of people *think* it cost over 100k MSRP, does that count? :D
I had one of those for a while too. Took a sizable hit when selling it, mainly because I bought the LE and put about $5k of mods into it. That one stung. Sold it after I bought the GT3 as I didn't drive it anymore.

TimeMan

Post by TimeMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm

sambb wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 pm
Yes but is the GT3 really that much worse than the TTS on the roads?
Both can be had in the 100+ range with pdk
Depends on the roads :) I love mine and my wife has no issue with the ride either.

mffl

Post by mffl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 am

TimeMan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm
mffl wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm
I had one of those for a while too. Took a sizable hit when selling it, mainly because I bought the LE and put about $5k of mods into it. That one stung. Sold it after I bought the GT3 as I didn't drive it anymore.
And you're from DFW? Wow, small world, me too. If you ever see a blue Slingshot, that's probably me. Not seen another one of those in the area. You're not the one who sold it to me are you? :D

burt

Post by burt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I have two, a Tesla and a Range Rover. My justification is I spend less on cars as a % of my income than 95% of Americans who own cars.
Interesting thought experiment.
So I got to thinking about the worlds uber wealthy with a net worth of $50 billion.
4% SWR = $2 billion/year income.
A private Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental (not a car, but it is transportation), with all the trimmings cost $500 million.
This works out to 25% of annual income.
I guess that could be considered frugal? :wink:

burt

bgf

Post by bgf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am

most of the vehicles mentioned have been sports cars or, at the least, high performance sedans. i guess that shouldn't be that surprising as car enthusiasts generally enjoy the mechanics of driving and speed.

how many people here have $100k+ luxury sedans? S class, 7 series, A8?

do you find it 'worth it' to buy these sedans? or are you just as well getting a cheaper cadillac/lexus?
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:07 am

These large sedans are great if you need a spacious and luxurious back seat. Not sure who needs that unless they are being chauffeured or chauffeuring others. They seem popular with real-estate agents, for example. These cars are very long, a pain to maneuver, and they don't handle as well as more reasonably-sized sedans.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 pm

bgf wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am
most of the vehicles mentioned have been sports cars or, at the least, high performance sedans. i guess that shouldn't be that surprising as car enthusiasts generally enjoy the mechanics of driving and speed.

do you find it 'worth it' to buy these sedans? or are you just as well getting a cheaper cadillac/lexus?
In my opinion, there are sedans available today that match both worlds. They give you raw power and great luxuries. See for example the E63s or RS7. I've love to have those as a daily driver!

Labrat

Post by Labrat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Was only into cars for a little bit, I had a Supra Twin-turbo for a while many years ago, and while a lot of fun, I preferred to get away from crowds a bit more. My turbo-snowmobile is certainly more than my 2015 Tundra truck that tows it. I'm totally in agreement that life is too short to not follow one's passions.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

My 2012 Ford Fusion has over 100K on it. Oops..

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 pm
TimeMan wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm
Yep. I have Ferraris (just the cheap ones:)) street parked in SF and nobody really notices. Some other parts of the country people look at you when you show up in a BMW 3 series. Funny enough you could drive a pickup with a 30k+ higher MSRP and nobody would care. And obviously some people love the attention so it is a plus.
Here on the gulf coast if you had a Ferrari you would stick out. Even if it was a 15 year old 360 Modena that is worth less today than high end pickup trucks. I know several people that have Loaded F250 trucks that were $75k+ and noone bats an eye. Those are of course needed to pull the $400,000 36' Yellowfin offshore boats behind them though...

Drew777

Post by Drew777 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm

My car had a $100k+ MSRP, but I bought it used and did not pay anywhere near that price. 2007 BMW M6 manual convertible. I bought it low enough I'll be able to flip it for a profit. I've already had a couple offers over what I paid for it, but I'm holding out a little longer and enjoying it for now.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 pm

burt wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I have two, a Tesla and a Range Rover. My justification is I spend less on cars as a % of my income than 95% of Americans who own cars.
Interesting thought experiment.
So I got to thinking about the worlds uber wealthy with a net worth of $50 billion.
4% SWR = $2 billion/year income.
A private Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental (not a car, but it is transportation), with all the trimmings cost $500 million.
This works out to 25% of annual income.
I guess that could be considered frugal? :wink:

burt
That 747 is good for like 40 years of service though Amortize it out and it isn't that bad:) I have low standards. I would any billionaire (top 2k or so) uber wealthy rather than just the top 10:)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am

bgf wrote:

Don't have one, but considering one to replace my wife's car. The new 5th gen LS doesn't give up much on the S-class, and is actually a slightly better car than either the 7 series or the A8. So I think you do just as well there, and it would be my choice if buying new. Going used, the Germans depreciate so quickly that the calculus turns back in their favor.

Cadillac (and Lincoln) have nothing that even remotely competes in the flagship class. Hyundai comes closer than either of them with its Genesis brand and the Kia K900.

bgf

Post by bgf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am
bgf wrote:

Cadillac (and Lincoln) have nothing that even remotely competes in the flagship class.
this surprised me because i thought that was the purpose of the CT6. you're right though, it starts well below the others mentioned at $54k... im surprised cadillac has nothing that tries to compete at the top end.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am
Don't have one, but considering one to replace my wife's car. The new 5th gen LS doesn't give up much on the S-class, and is actually a slightly better car than either the 7 series or the A8.
I know looks aren't everything (some people think my Tesla Model X is butt ugly), but I just can't get past the Lexus grill.

Childay

Post by Childay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Surprised no one admitting to buying a truck in that range! I seem them all the time here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/auto ... s-suv.html

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Childay wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Surprised no one admitting to buying a truck in that range! I seem them all the time here.

Because the topic is specifically $100k+ cars, and though tons of pricey trucks do indeed get sold, it's still pretty much impossible to get to the 6-figure mark. For example, the Ford F450 Limited is the most expensive truck that Ford makes before you get into the chassis-cab full-on commercial models. It weighs 4 and a half tons, and is WAY more truck than a yuppie would want. Even on that, if you tick every single option and accessory box--resulting in a bizarre combination that no one would want--you still only get to $94k. The half-and three-quarter tons that "normals" buy don't come anywhere near there, even dressed to the nines.

$60-70k MSRP is really where most of the high-end consumer pickup sales are. Of course, it's pretty easy to get dramatic discounts on them, because they are very high margin.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:57 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Childay wrote:

Because the topic is specifically $100k+ cars, and though tons of pricey trucks do indeed get sold, it's still pretty much impossible to get to the 6-figure mark. For example, the Ford F450 Limited is the most expensive truck that Ford makes before you get into the chassis-cab full-on commercial models. It weighs 4 and a half tons, and is WAY more truck than a yuppie would want. Even on that, if you tick every single option and accessory box--resulting in a bizarre combination that no one would want--you still only get to $94k. The half-and three-quarter tons that "normals" buy don't come anywhere near there, even dressed to the nines.

$60-70k MSRP is really where most of the high-end consumer pickup sales are. Of course, it's pretty easy to get dramatic discounts on them, because they are very high margin.
Exactly - if the goal is to spend even more than you need to move the discussion to boats not trucks.

Childay

Post by Childay » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Childay wrote:

Fair enough :D
Jeep Trackhawk? Not that I've seen one.. Someone did mention the g-wagon earlier in thread as well
I did find the trends interesting though in the article. The doctor's parking lots around here are full of trucks these days, not GT3s or teslas (disappointingly).