Vancouver Vacation (Canada)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
raisinsaregrapes

Vancouver Vacation (Canada)

Post by raisinsaregrapes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Taking a family vacation to Vancouver Canada this summer. Anyone had good fun ideas for things to do for a family of 5? Kids all younger than 6. We will be staying on the north side of the city near Capilano Lake and will have a rental car for transportation. Looking for recommended restaurants, day outings, or just places that you love.

texasdiver

Re: Vancouver Vacation (Canada)

Post by texasdiver » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Vancouver is nice but with kids I'd plan a side trip to Vancouver Island and Victoria. The ferries themselves are fun. Victoria is a beautiful walkable small city with lots of attractions. You can also do whale watching tours.

In Vancouver, my top two attractions are the UBC Museum of Anthropology http://moa.ubc.ca/ and the Granville Island Market: https://granvilleisland.com/

hmw

Post by hmw » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium inside the Stanley park
Grouse Mountain,
The UBC anthropology mueseum. It’s a pretty small mueseum.
Granville Island
Gastown, avoid the nearby downtown eastside, unless you want to witness a drug deal going on.

There are many very high quality Asian restaurants in Vancouver and its suburb Richmond. I can’t give any specific recommendations as I haven’t been to Vancouver for quite a few years.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 am

We got a kite and flew it on the shore.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 am

Well, OP, since you are in that part of town, the Capilano Suspension Bridge is a lot of fun for a family outing. Since it is a private park, it's a bit spendy, but then again, so is all of Vancouver.
Last edited by obgraham on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 am

Agreed on the Anthropology Museum. Coincidentally, was there today. It's excellent.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 am

hmw wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 pm
Grouse Mountain,
Granville Island
Gastown, avoid the nearby downtown eastside, unless you want to witness a drug deal going on.

There are many very high quality Asian restaurants in Vancouver and its suburb Richmond. I can’t give any specific recommendations as I haven’t been to Vancouver for quite a few years.
Just to add to that.

Hastings & Main happens to be a couple of blocks east of the downtown, and is the worst place (that I know of) in Canada for the drug trade (particularly heroin). There's no reason to go there, but it's so close to downtown that it's easy to blunder into it.

I am not up on the latest "street life" of Vancouver, but what I say above was certainly the case 10-15 years ago.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am

raisinsaregrapes wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 pm
Taking a family vacation to Vancouver Canada this summer. Anyone had good fun ideas for things to do for a family of 5? Kids all younger than 6. We will be staying on the north side of the city near Capilano Lake and will have a rental car for transportation. Looking for recommended restaurants, day outings, or just places that you love.
Note also with the Skytrain, Vancouver has excellent public transportation and it's a good way to get around.

I would go up to Whistler, but that's not for everyone.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 am

If you go to Granville, there are plenty of places selling fresh flowers....

Get some for the room, they are inexpensive and really liven up a hotel room. We did this when we left on an Alaskan Cruise from Vancouver.

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am

Richmond night market! Summer weekends starts around 7 pm. On the Frasier river in city of Richmond. Asian street food, it's like going to China or thailand without the jetlag. Google it, easy to get to plenty of parking and lots and lots of people eating lots and lots of great food.
Day trip up to Whistler Blackcomb great hikes beautiful scenery. A ferry ride to Vancouver Island if time permits. Vancouver Westside very trendy good restaurants and beach. Take in a show at Bard on the Beach if into theater.
Not sure of your dates but every summer Vancouver hosts an international fireworks competition.
Drive down to Steveston fishing fleet boat harbor, fresh fish right on the pier.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

I was in Vancouver last summer. We did a couple of museums, the Aquarium, rented bikes for tooling around Vancouver, ate our normal contingent of meals, and then rented other bikes and rode to Swartz Bay then to Victoria and then back through Nanaimo across to West Vancouver, over the bridge and down to the Fraser River. Obviously, we had to take a few ferries along the way.

I don't know what an ideal family vacation would be for others, but for me it is not sitting in Tim Hortons drinking coffee.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:31 pm

If you go to Vancouver Island high tea at the Empress is nice as
are Butchart Gardens. If you can get up to Campbell River for
running the “fjords” that is incredible

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Honestly, I'd get in the rental car and head east to Lake Louise, as I find Vancouver to be extremely boring and very pricey for what you get.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm

malabargold wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I don't think I'd recommend high tea at the Empress with three children under the age of 6! :shock:

I really enjoyed the British Columbia Museum in Victoria, but again I wouldn't recommend it for a family with small children.

Butchart Gardens are gorgeous and the kids might actually enjoy it if the weather is good.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Ooops, kids all under 6? You can cover Vancouver in one day: Go to the Aquarium. Done.

There are also playgrounds in/near Stanley Park where the aquarium is located.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Ooops, kids all under 6? You can cover Vancouver in one day: Go to the Aquarium. Done.

Haha, after doing my google research these looked like winners. Along with Granville Market, and probably a day trip or 2 out somewhere. Thanks for all the replies.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:10 am

cherijoh wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm
malabargold wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I don't think I'd recommend high tea at the Empress with three children under the age of 6! :shock:

I really enjoyed the British Columbia Museum in Victoria, but again I wouldn't recommend it for a family with small children.

Butchart Gardens are gorgeous and the kids might actually enjoy it if the weather is good.
Victoria is nice but I do not think a trip to Vancouver Island is necessary in the context of a short trip to Vancouver.

Vancouver Island I would say:

- whale watching trip from Victoria (the sea was too rough on the day we were in Tofino so cannot compare)
- trip to Tofino and possibly Uculet (I have heard it is less overdeveloped) on the very west
- Butchart Gardens
- Museum of Bug Life in Victoria, if it is still there, is a great place for those who like creepie crawlies (slightly older kids might love it)

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 am

raisinsaregrapes wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Haha, after doing my google research these looked like winners. Along with Granville Market, and probably a day trip or 2 out somewhere. Thanks for all the replies.
Kitsilano also has a beach but my knowledge of Vancouver geography is sufficiently vague that I am not sure if that really fits in with where you are staying.

I think your kids might love the Skytrain. It really feels very futuristic (as does the whole city). Unless you are on the outskirts, it's not a city where you have to drive.

https://www.whistler.com/kids/

there is stuff in summer for the kids at Whistler.

gretah

Post by gretah » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm

hmw wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 pm
Grouse Mountain,
Granville Island
I live near Vancouver and agree with all above for fun activities for a young family.

The aquarium is terrific. Not just small exhibits of fish: the kids will see otters and orcas as well.

Gastown is a great place to buy souvenirs and nice crafts made by First Nation artisans. Bill Reid prints and cards are among my favorites. Get yourself some genuine Canadian fur lined leather slippers for winter back home.

The views from Grouse Mountain are really spectacular! And the kids get to ride on the largest aerial tramway in North America. There are areas up top for kids to explore. The drive from sea level to parking lot for tramway is pretty short. Take sweaters as patchy snow is common even in June.
https://www.grousemountain.com/skyride

The kids should love both the indoor and outdoor exhibits at the Anthropology Museum at UBC. Several totem poles are outdoors west of the museum - they can run around. The salt water views are terrific. Park in the lot across the street so you don't need Canadian coins for meters.

Have fun!