Good brands for Kitchenware?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Good brands for Kitchenware?

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi,

Are there 2 or 3 brands that can be considered the best (most reliable) for kitchenware/cookware (e.g. stainless steel pots, etc)?
(As an analogy: while there are several blender makers, Vitamix and Blendtec are considered the top choice. You know you are paying more, but are getting high quality products that'll last for years.)

Searching online, names like Calphalon, Cuisinart and Kitchaid are coming up. Are these the Vitamix/Blendtec equivalent for cookware/kitchenware, or are there other companies?

Thanks.

barnaclebob

Re: Good brands for Kitchenware?

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 pm

if its heavy and it doesn't have a non stick coating it will probably last a really long time.

All clad and cast iron is what is in my house. I don't see any of them needing replacement for a very very long time.

slayed

Post by slayed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:57 pm

All-Clad stainless is kind of the standard in stainless steel cookware and is made in the USA. A lot of the other brands have All Clad knockoff products that they manufacture in China (LeCreuset, Cuisinart, etc).

One downside of All-Clad though is that a lot of people do not like the handles.

Another brand you could consider is Demeyere which is made in Belgium I believe.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I like the LeCruset brand of cast iron pots and casserole dishes - use them all the time and they clean very well. They are expensive and there are knock offs that are half the price - but over many years I have learned with some brands you get what you pay for. The easy clean, consistent cooking without burning and great versatility of cast iron has been great.

Also would recommend Kitchen aid small appliances such as hand mixers and choppers - I have had both for a long time and they have worked very well, easy to clean and do their job. Again, you can find cheaper brands (and I had tried them for the first few years living alone) but they are either tough to clean, messy, or don’t last.

Hope that helps...

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Demeyere. Excellent heat distribution, very sturdy, on the heavy side. No handle rivets on the cooking surface side, so no risk of incomplete cleaning in that area.

slayed

Post by slayed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm

One other thing I would mention is to avoid the store brands when it comes to cook ware (SurLaTable, WilliamsSonoma, etc) as well as the gimmick lines named after a celebrity chef (Martha Stewart Living, Wolfgang Puck, etc). These are all knock off products that get out sourced and are not good enough quality to justify the higher price tag. Buy only manufacturer brands (All Clad, Staub, LeCreuset, Demeyere, Lodge, etc).

Also realize that some brands which are very good at some cookware (LeCreuset is known for the high quality enameled/cast iron) are not so good at others. So it is not just what are the good brands but what are the good brands for the specific thing you are buying.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

We sure like All Clad and Lodge for Cast Iron

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

gamboolman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm
We sure like All Clad and Lodge for Cast Iron
Was gonna buy myself a set of really nice pots because I like to cook. So I was looking at some All Clad in the store. But the salesperson had some story about how they were'nt good in the dishwasher, had to go up a grade to get that. Decided at the last minute not to buy.

I later bought some odd pots named after a celebrity chef for much less. They work fine. And cheaper.

By the way about sets. It's like sets of knives. Yes, cheaper than buying them all. But you don't NEED them all anyway. Buy what you need, maybe mistmatched, and you will save money.

I am, however, totally behind Lodge cast iron.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm

All Clad stainless for pots and pans (NOT the nonstick line or the fancier and more expensive copper core). The regular stainless or stainless D5 are all you will ever need.

LeCreuset dutch ovens.

Lodge cast iron.

I like a lot of Oxo kitchen-tool products.

AnnieK

Post by AnnieK » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm

For stainless cookware, look for Cuisinart Multi-clad. It is very similar to All Clad but it is a little lighter, the lip is rolled so you can pour out the side a little cleaner, the handles are more comfortable to hold, and it is not quite so expensive. I have pieces of both and prefer the Cuisinart MC for these reasons.

Annie

hand

Post by hand » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

There's no generic answer to good brands for pots/pans - you need to dig deeper to understand your specific needs and wants per pot.
Standardizing on a brand or type of pot is likely to get you less than top performance.

Doubtless discussed on cooking forums in great detail, but my approach as follows:

Searing: Cast Iron skillet (vintage, but recommendations above are good)
Fish / eggs: quality, but disposable priced aluminum / non-stick skillet (Vollrath Wear-Ever w/ ceramigard II coating & silicon handle)
Boil water / pasta etc. : large restaurant grade stainless saucepan w/ disk bottom (no need for heavy, expensive fancy features to boil water)
Sauce / Saute pan: 3-ply steel over aluminum Vollrath Tribute (with silicon handles)
Dutch Oven: La Crueset

Happy with my choices from a cost/performance perspective, but others who prioritize looks, lighter weight or standardization would likely choose differently. Customize to your own needs re: cost, features, performance, ease of clean-up looks.

Eazyndn

Post by Eazyndn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 pm

I personally like Analon for nonstick

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I like all my NordicWare stuff. Besides regular cookware, you can go crazy with their baking items and microwave items. Also, made in the US.

Last edited by mouses on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Some good resources for research -

America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Illustrated, Consumer Reports, Wirecutter/Sweethome

I'll echo that All-Clad and Lodge seem to be the Blendtec of pots/pans and cast iron.

I'm not sure there's something too similar for other kitchen items in terms of brand (except individual pieces, ie like a Kitchenaid Mixer), but I'll echo a couple of other posters in that I've enjoyed our Oxo, Nordicware, and Pampered Chef products. Some frequently used items I'll pay more attention to warranty, which is why we do have some Cutco knives, Yeti tumblers, and Tervis tumblers.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 am

CantPassAgain wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:00 pm
All Clad stainless for pots and pans (NOT the nonstick line or the fancier and more expensive copper core). The regular stainless or stainless D5 are all you will ever need.

LeCreuset dutch ovens.

Lodge cast iron.

Ditto to all of this!

And I love my Vitamix and Wusthof knives.

Boston Barry

Post by Boston Barry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 am

One helpful piece of advice (also mentioned upthread) is to buy only the pits you will actually use on a regular basis. Cooks Illustrated has had a number of articles addressing this in the past. Here’s a link to one:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... l-cookware

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not too familiar with most of the names mentioned, so I'll need to look these up.

I didn't see any mention of Calphalon, is it not that good? Especially for stainless steel utensils.

Thanks.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 pm
if its heavy and it doesn't have a non stick coating it will probably last a really long time.

All clad and cast iron is what is in my house. I don't see any of them needing replacement for a very very long time.
anil686 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm
I like the LeCruset brand of cast iron pots and casserole dishes - use them all the time and they clean very well. They are expensive and there are knock offs that are half the price - but over many years I have learned with some brands you get what you pay for. The easy clean, consistent cooking without burning and great versatility of cast iron has been great.

Also would recommend Kitchen aid small appliances such as hand mixers and choppers - I have had both for a long time and they have worked very well, easy to clean and do their job. Again, you can find cheaper brands (and I had tried them for the first few years living alone) but they are either tough to clean, messy, or don’t last.

Hope that helps...
CantPassAgain wrote:

LeCreuset dutch ovens.

Lodge cast iron.

Any thoughts on cast iron vs stainless steel vs enameled cast iron?
Edit: Could someone post a summary of consensus around pros/cons?

I'm reading online, but thought of asking here as well.
Cast iron is purported to last a long time, is that also true for stainless steel?
Can stainless steel be used for all types of cooking?

Thanks.
Last edited by kayanco on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 pm

brajalle wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm
Some good resources for research -

America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Illustrated, Consumer Reports, Wirecutter/Sweethome

I'll echo that All-Clad and Lodge seem to be the Blendtec of pots/pans and cast iron.

I'm not sure there's something too similar for other kitchen items in terms of brand (except individual pieces, ie like a Kitchenaid Mixer), but I'll echo a couple of other posters in that I've enjoyed our Oxo, Nordicware, and Pampered Chef products. Some frequently used items I'll pay more attention to warranty, which is why we do have some Cutco knives, Yeti tumblers, and Tervis tumblers.
I was looking at consumer reports reviews. They recommend non-stick coated pans in their reviews. I don't think I can rely on them because they don't give the warnings about non-stick that I see elsewhere.

bumblebh

Post by bumblebh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 pm

I purchased All-Clad stainless D5 for our household about 2-3 years ago, I would purchase again. I purchased specifically because it was made in USA and higher quality item. I no longer will use non-stick pans routinely. But the All-Clad distributes heat evenly, even on electric cooktop, cleans up nicely. I have no desire to put pans such as this in a dishwasher. It is heavy, I am okay with that. We also have a few pieced of Lodge and and I just purchased a Le Creuset piece also. But for a solid basic set, I don't think you can go wrong with All Clad.

My mother needed some new cookware, and my brother and I decided to go together to get her a set of stainless for Christmas. I looked at Calphalon as it seemed to have good reviews and we (he) didn't want to pay for All-Clad, so we purchased Calphalon stainless. She likes it a lot, but she doesn't love to cook, so don't know if that means anything.

shipbuilder

Post by shipbuilder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 pm

I have been delighted with my Cuisinart Multiclad Pro stainless steel pots and pans. Food cooks nicely and I don't have to worry about consuming whatever chemicals make a non-stick coating. If you heat the pan, then add a bit of oil, let the oil get hot, and then add food, your food will not stick to a high-quality stainless pan. Mine are eight years old and still look new, and I don't have to do anything special to take care of them beyond cleaning with Barkeepers Friend.

CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am
Edit: Could someone post a summary of consensus around pros/cons?

I'm reading online, but thought of asking here as well.
Cast iron is purported to last a long time, is that also true for stainless steel?

Thanks.
All have their uses and opinions are all over the place. Stainless can do anything well, but for certain things other options work much better. Like, cast iron is great for frying chicken and baking cornbread, but not so great for anything very acidic because it can eat away at the "seasoning" that is baked on to the surface and they can start to rust. I wouldn't use regular-non enameled cast iron for a tomato-based chili for example. Enameled cast iron dutch ovens like from LeCreuset are great for chili and other long, slow cooks. Quality enameled cast iron pieces from LeCreuset are very expensive. Like $350 for one pot. Regular cast iron skillets from Lodge are pretty cheap in comparison

What I did is buy this set of All-Clad stainless D5, then supplemented with 8-inch and 12-inch cast iron skillets from Lodge. I have cooked with LeCreuset and think they are awesome but for now stainless pots will do.

EDIT:
You also were asking about Calphalon. I have no experience with them but I did purchase a few stainless pots and pans in the "cheaper than All Clad but still not cheap" category and most of them have warped on the bottom to where they will not sit flat on a glass-top stove. That is incredibly annoying because when you stir something they start spinning around like tops unless you are holding on to them. I couldn't believe it was so easy to warp these as I took very good care (didn't use the highest heat settings, didn't wash pans while they were still hot). So I took a gamble and laid out the money for All Clad because so many people said they are the best. I have not been dissapointed.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 pm
I was looking at consumer reports reviews. They recommend non-stick coated pans in their reviews. I don't think I can rely on them because they don't give the warnings about non-stick that I see elsewhere.
I'm a bit surprised to be honest. Almost everywhere gives a little notice that non-stick has a limited life and to not use once it starts coming off or at super high heat. Maybe they've decided that among the CR subscription audience, the issue already has more than enough awareness.

Regardless, I think CR still has some use as an aggregate reviewer. I typically check most of those sources before a larger purchase, just to get a pool to make a decision from. I'll be the first to admit, that excepting perhaps appliances, I typically narrow choices from sources that aren't CR (I don't have a subscription, I have to borrow my parents). I guess in retrospect, I could probably cut them from the review mix I look at for most products, but it's sometimes nice to use them to confirm that something is decent.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Calli114 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 am
CantPassAgain wrote:

LeCreuset dutch ovens.

Lodge cast iron.

Ditto to all of this!

And I love my Vitamix and Wusthof knives.
+1

I have all of the above but I love my cast iron skillets. If you can find the older ones, they work out much better. The cooking surface is smooth whereas the Lodge (new models) are pebble like. You have to hunt at thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets but they work much better. I rarely use my All-Clads other than stockpots

The German knives (Wustof, Henkels) are good but the Japanese knife then to be sharper and stay sharper longer. I rarely see them in thrift shops but they might be good option if you are in cooking. They require more care but they stay amazingly sharp.

If you want to save money, you can find many of these items on Criagslist.

LowER

Post by LowER » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Thermoworks: Instant read thermometer is the most important piece of cookware that I own. They are about $100, but splurge for the magnetic glow-in-dark cover for another $12 or so. I use mine constantly. Never any guesswork and, because it reads instantly, you know the exact temp of every layer of your food. INDISPENSABLE! I also own their pH meter which works well.

Demeyere: Proline skillets, some say they are the best out there for heat distribution. Mine have been indestructible after years of heavy use. No rivets. Viking, IIRC, is made by Demeyere, has rivets, but is by reputation great cookware and costs less.

All-Clad: d5 and copper core. I have dozens, all flawless, and I like the handles, though some don't.

Staub: My favorite coated cast iron. I own dozens of pieces. 1 had a rust issue out of the box but was replaced after a bunch of emails with the company. Some don't like because of the black cooking surface, as opposed to LC which are close to white, at least for awhile.

Shun Spatulas: Just awesome. Sharp, flexible. Dishwasher safe as far as I know.

Mauviel: I haven't had much luck with this brand even though they have never seen the inside of a dishwasher.

VacMaster: Sealed chamber vacuum packer. Amazing and very versatile for infusions, instant pickling, etc. I have the VP215.

Baratza: Great coffee grinder line. My Forte has been indestructible.

Technivorm: My Moccamaster is a work of art in many ways and makes a great pot of drip coffee. If anything breaks, most pieces are easily replaceable.

KitchenAid Mixer: Reliable, many attachments, very versatile. The SmokehouseChef full stainless meat grinder attachment is the bomb.

Cast iron: Lodge is awesome but old school Wagner, Griswold, BSR, Chicago Hardware Foundry with the finished cooking surface and lighter weight are my favorites, and can be found at garage/estate sales and Goodwill sometimes for very cheap. Avoid rockers and spinners. Finex has a finished cooking surface and cook beautifully but the handles are more artful than functional for heat distribution reasons but do look great hanging from my pot rack.

Knives: If you're really interested, check out kitchenknifeforums.com for encyclopedic and dizzying volumes of info. A little focused reading here though could provide you with a lifetime of surgically sharp blades with minimal effort.

All should be multi-generational, and all of mine are induction compatible. Years of benign neglect have kept my cast iron virtually nonstick. I do run the SS through the dishwasher occasionally without issue though the copper stripe on the CC AC darkens a bit when I do.

Those are the brands that come to mind....

I no longer own any "nonstick" at all. After a little practice with SS and figuring out how to season and care for CI, I just don't need any more throw away cookware.

My favorite place to purchase is cutleryandmore dot com. (I have zero affiliation with them other than spending a small fortune there).

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Lodge cast iron is good. I've heard others talk about not being smooth but mine are about 8 years old now & were always smooth.
I always keep my eyes open at thrift stores, flea markets & such for older brands.

Revere Ware. We were given a 5 pc set 27 years ago as a wedding gift & I swear by them. I've since bought (eBay & thrift store) 2 more of the 8 qt pots so I have 3 of those now. I will only get the copper bottom that are made in the USA! I have read/heard others say the newer Revere Ware is cheap metal that pits/warps within a few years.

There are many fine choices of cookware out there. I'm the cook (not Chef) and these are my picks. I've had cheap stuff in my single days & learned like most others here it's cheaper to buy quality. Only other recomendations cooking wise is glass over plastic & nothing less than Weber Grills.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 pm

We've had a bunch of All Clad pans for 20+ years and I don't see any reason we'll ever have to buy another set.

The only other brand we have is Lodge cast iron. We're happy with it as well.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I've had a few All Clad pots and they are good. I guess considered the gold standard. Overpriced in my opinion. I would look for a triply set or individual pieces of cookware. The things with discs attached to the bottom are junk. I have a set I bought over 20 years ago on HSN by Wolfgang Puck. They still look and function like new (I've noticed newer versions that aren't as heavy). I would try and compare the weight of comparable pans, see if the handle feels comfortable and make sure it is triply. I saw a set of Kirkland (their brand) at Costco that looked pretty good and were reasonably priced. I have individual triply pieces by Calphalon and Cuisinart too. Note that both brands have many different models. I have a Cuisinart triply made in France, though most are made in China (not that that really means anything, but I always hear people act like it does).

As to other cookware, I have cast iron (Lodge-the gold standard) and various nonstick skillets.

I have several Le Creuset pieces. They are the gold standard for enameled cast iron. They were given to me- I don't know if I'd spend the money on them as they are pricey. I can tell you the 2 or 3 cheaper enameled cast iron pans I've had all had the enamel crack.

gretah

Post by gretah » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm

America's Test Kitchen does extensive testing and places reviews on its website and in its cookery books.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews

ATK states what they looked at, how they tested the equipment, and the results. All in a non-biased way.

I know which food processor I'll be buying after my move!

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 am

AnnieK wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm
For stainless cookware, look for Cuisinart Multi-clad. It is very similar to All Clad but it is a little lighter, the lip is rolled so you can pour out the side a little cleaner, the handles are more comfortable to hold, and it is not quite so expensive. I have pieces of both and prefer the Cuisinart MC for these reasons.

Annie
I have both and can’t stand the Cuisinart. The All-Clad stainless is so much easier to clean, I didn’t expect the quality of the metal to vary so much between the two. Hate the Cuisinart handles, though All Clad’s are controversial (I love them).

Really happy with our All Clad and Finex cast iron products. Note that the performance of cast iron has a lot to do with how you treat it.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 am

KSOC wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Revere Ware. We were given a 5 pc set 27 years ago as a wedding gift & I swear by them. I've since bought (eBay & thrift store) 2 more of the 8 qt pots so I have 3 of those now. I will only get the copper bottom that are made in the USA! I have read/heard others say the newer Revere Ware is cheap metal that pits/warps within a few years.
I have old Revereware, copper bottom, and I use some of it nearly every day.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 am

bumblebh wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 pm
I purchased All-Clad stainless D5 for our household about 2-3 years ago, I would purchase again. I purchased specifically because it was made in USA and higher quality item.
From what I know, the pots are made in the US but the lids are made in China.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 am
AnnieK wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Annie
I have both and can’t stand the Cuisinart. The All-Clad stainless is so much easier to clean, I didn’t expect the quality of the metal to vary so much between the two. Hate the Cuisinart handles, though All Clad’s are controversial (I love them).

Really happy with our All Clad and Finex cast iron products. Note that the performance of cast iron has a lot to do with how you treat it.
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 pm
I've had a few All Clad pots and they are good. I guess considered the gold standard. Overpriced in my opinion. I would look for a triply set or individual pieces of cookware. The things with discs attached to the bottom are junk. I have a set I bought over 20 years ago on HSN by Wolfgang Puck. They still look and function like new (I've noticed newer versions that aren't as heavy). I would try and compare the weight of comparable pans, see if the handle feels comfortable and make sure it is triply. I saw a set of Kirkland (their brand) at Costco that looked pretty good and were reasonably priced. I have individual triply pieces by Calphalon and Cuisinart too. Note that both brands have many different models. I have a Cuisinart triply made in France, though most are made in China (not that that really means anything, but I always hear people act like it does).

As to other cookware, I have cast iron (Lodge-the gold standard) and various nonstick skillets.

I have several Le Creuset pieces. They are the gold standard for enameled cast iron. They were given to me- I don't know if I'd spend the money on them as they are pricey. I can tell you the 2 or 3 cheaper enameled cast iron pans I've had all had the enamel crack.
Strummer wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 pm
We've had a bunch of All Clad pans for 20+ years and I don't see any reason we'll ever have to buy another set.

The only other brand we have is Lodge cast iron. We're happy with it as well.
Do you use stainless steel or wood spatula in the All Clad pans?
Will SS utensils scratch the SS pans?

Edit: I've decided not to use plastic (even BPA free) because of health warnings I keep hearing about.

Thanks.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

According to the All-Clad website, "You can cook on all of our conventional cookware with metal, plastic or wood utensils."

http://www.all-clad.com/instructions-fo ... 8701004400

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Strummer wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am
According to the All-Clad website, "You can cook on all of our conventional cookware with metal, plastic or wood utensils."

http://www.all-clad.com/instructions-fo ... 8701004400
Okay, that's good to know.

I was thinking that a stainless steel spatula might scratch the All-Clad pans.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Metal utensils are fine. I wouldn't use a knife in a pan as it would probably scratch the pan and ruin the knife. I have an assortment of silicon, wood and metal spatulas, spoons, tongs, etc. I tend to use the wooden and silicon more than the metal. I'm not sure why, but maybe because that metal on metal scraping sound is unpleasant. The silicone and wood can also be used in non-stick pans so they do double duty.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:19 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 am
KSOC wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I have old Revereware, copper bottom, and I use some of it nearly every day.
Me too.

I have some pots and pans that were my parents and they are likely 50 years old now.

Somewhere along the line I got glass lids though.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm

kayanco wrote:

We use our stainless steel All Clad for all types of cooking. However, the other two have some advantages and we use them occasionally. We have LeCreuset enameled cast iron that we use for low temp/long time cooking like for soups and stews, or slow meat braising. The stainless can do all those too but there is a greater chance of scorching or burning on the bottom of the pan. We only use our non-enameled cast iron for searing steaks and cornbread. Again, the All-Clad can do it too but you don't get as nice of a crust on the sear. We do have a couple a non-stick fry pans that we use mostly for cooking eggs in the morning to minimize on the oils needed to do it in a stainless steel pan.

If I had to pick one, a set of All-Clad D5 is what I would get. Our set is now eleven years old and still looks almost like the day we took it out of the box.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm
Metal utensils are fine. I wouldn't use a knife in a pan as it would probably scratch the pan and ruin the knife. I have an assortment of silicon, wood and metal spatulas, spoons, tongs, etc. I tend to use the wooden and silicon more than the metal. I'm not sure why, but maybe because that metal on metal scraping sound is unpleasant. The silicone and wood can also be used in non-stick pans so they do double duty.
Thanks.
lthenderson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm
kayanco wrote:

We use our stainless steel All Clad for all types of cooking. However, the other two have some advantages and we use them occasionally. We have LeCreuset enameled cast iron that we use for low temp/long time cooking like for soups and stews, or slow meat braising. The stainless can do all those too but there is a greater chance of scorching or burning on the bottom of the pan. We only use our non-enameled cast iron for searing steaks and cornbread. Again, the All-Clad can do it too but you don't get as nice of a crust on the sear. We do have a couple a non-stick fry pans that we use mostly for cooking eggs in the morning to minimize on the oils needed to do it in a stainless steel pan.

If I had to pick one, a set of All-Clad D5 is what I would get. Our set is now eleven years old and still looks almost like the day we took it out of the box.
Very useful. Thanks for posting your comment.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:09 pm

kayanco wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm
Thanks.
lthenderson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm
kayanco wrote:

Very useful. Thanks for posting your comment.
Non-D5 would look great after 11 years, too.

I use olive wood cooking tools mostly, but it depends on what I'm cooking.

Post by 123 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 pm

gretah wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm
America's Test Kitchen does extensive testing and places reviews on its website and in its cookery books.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews

ATK states what they looked at, how they tested the equipment, and the results. All in a non-biased way.

I know which food processor I'll be buying after my move!
+1 Before I buy any kitchen thingy I check with ATK. The annual cookbook advertised on PBS has all their equipment winners in the back. Your library probably has a copy. If ATK doesn't include a particular gizmo in their kitchen equipment listing I figure I can just as well do without it.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.