Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks to BOTH postings here AND an article in Washington Consumer Checkbook - I just signed up for the 19.95 per rental Premium Isurance. With 2 older cars, we no longer have collision coverage on our cars - so we might need to pay the high charges per day in the case if we rent a car. It seems that, with both the free, included coverage AND the Amex premium coverage, we can quite safely decline all added rental nsurance. The Amex coverages do not cover liability BUT we carry liability on our cars wiich would cover us.

We only occasionally rent a car - but you never know when you might need to. The nice thing about the Amex coverage is that you pay nothing until you rent the car (and use the Amex card).

It also seems that there are several good features of charging all travel type expenses on the Amex card - as I read the Amex site.

Am I correct that Amex (we have the Blue cash card) seems to offer the best travel type (no added charges) benefits?

Drew777
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by Drew777 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

FYI Chase Sapphire Preferred comes with primary rental car insurance at no cost.

buckstar
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by buckstar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I've used the "premium car rental Insurance" through amex for a couple years, and had to actually file a claim with them over the summer for some windshield damage in a rental. They were very easy to work with, only took a single phone call and the issue was resolved. They contract out to a third party though, so not handled directly by amex.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm

buckstar wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm
I've used the "premium car rental Insurance" through amex for a couple years, and had to actually file a claim with them over the summer for some windshield damage in a rental. They were very easy to work with, only took a single phone call and the issue was resolved. They contract out to a third party though, so not handled directly by amex.
This extra coverage is done though (as best I understand) a wholey owned separate company. Amex owns this "insurance company".

Very good to hear of such a positive experience.

In addition to saving the money if we rent a car, it will keep me calmer when I rent and do not pay those high charges (PER DAY)

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm

We have Chase Sapphire Preferred with free CDW rental. We have made a claim because thieves broke rear hatchback window and got full refund of amount we paid, no fuss. That alone paid for several years of the $95/year annual fee.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm
We have Chase Sapphire Preferred with free CDW rental. We have made a claim because thieves broke rear hatchback window and got full refund of amount we paid, no fuss. That alone paid for several years of the $95/year annual fee.
Hmm. Pay $95 per year to get something "free"? :confused

techrover
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by techrover » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm

AMEX car rental while economical, may not be the best option. I have had negative exp. with a small claim that Hertz did in scammy way... AMEX is unable to resolve it after 1+ year and my bad that I paid off that claim amount via my credit card with regular bill- i.e. did not leave it as disputed amount.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 pm

techrover wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm
AMEX car rental while economical, may not be the best option. I have had negative exp. with a small claim that Hertz did in scammy way... AMEX is unable to resolve it after 1+ year and my bad that I paid off that claim amount via my credit card with regular bill- i.e. did not leave it as disputed amount.
Was this experience something that you tried to claim under the free Amex coverage or with the added charge "premium" coverage?

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by heartwood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:00 pm

AMEX premium car insurance is good for up to 42 days on a single rental for the $19.99 fee (or 24.99 for high amounts). We used it for years. We had one claim that was well handled by AMEX despite lack of response from AVIS. AMEX handled it all. We did not interface with AVIS at all, beyond giving them the AMEX reference and giving AMEX the AVIS claim number. AVIS acknowledged claim settlement several years ago. Then last year sicced a collection agency on us for administrative and loss of use fees that they had agreed were part of the settlement. I called AMEX and they handled it again with no further involvement from us.

We now use the Chase Sapphire Reserve coverage. We rent enough each year that we cover the $450 annual fee with the $300 travel rebate and not paying the $19.99 for AMEX coverage multiple times. I believe the Chase coverage tops out at 31 days for a single rental however.

orlandoman
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by orlandoman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.

The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. Many other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.

Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Last edited by orlandoman on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm
I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.
The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. All the other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.
Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Good to know...

User avatar
neurosphere
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by neurosphere » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm

orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm
I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.

The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. All the other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.

Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Hmm, I use the Sapphire preferred [edit: reserve] for rental coverage, and I would be eager to know if these items are not covered. Otherwise, I would gladly pay the $20 AMEX fee per rental. Off to research!

I'm back. The policy states that "Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle" is covered.

What is not covered:
• Any obligation you assume under any other agreement
• Any violation of the auto rental agreement
• Confiscation by authorities
• Cost of any insurance or collision damage offered or purchased
through the auto rental company
• Depreciation of the rental vehicle caused by loss or damage, which
includes but is not limited to “diminished value” (“diminished value”
is the monetary difference between a vehicle’s pre-accident retail
book value and its retail book value after reasonable repairs are
made as the result of an accident)
• Expenses assumed, waived, or paid by the rental agency or
its insurer
• Expenses reimbursed under your personal auto insurance policy,
your employer or your employer’s insurance
• Injury of anyone or anything inside or outside of the vehicle
• Items not installed by the original manufacturer
• Leases and mini leases
• Loss due to hostility of any kind (including but not limited to war,
invasion, rebellion, or insurrection)
• Loss due to intentional acts or due to the driver(s) being under the
influence of alcohol, intoxicants, or drugs, or due to transportation of
contraband or engagement in illegal activities
• Loss due to off-road operation of the rental vehicle
• Loss or damage as a result of the Cardholder’s lack of reasonable
care in protecting the rental vehicle before or after damage occurs
(for example, leaving the vehicle unattended and running)
• Loss or theft of personal belongings
• Losses for which a claim form has not been received within one
hundred (100) days† from the date of the loss
• Losses for which all required documentation has not been received
within three hundred and sixty-five (365) days from the date of loss
• Losses reported more than sixty (60) days† from the date of loss
• Personal liability
• Rental periods that exceed or are intended to exceed thirty-one
(31) consecutive days within your country of residence or
thirty-one (31) consecutive days outside your country of residence.
• Vehicles that do not meet the definitions of covered vehicles
• Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown
So it seems that not "all other" rental coverage excludes items such as hail, vandalism, etc.

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

orlandoman
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by orlandoman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm

neurosphere wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm
orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm
I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.

The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. All the other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.

Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Hmm, I use the Sapphire preferred [edit: reserve] for rental coverage, and I would be eager to know if these items are not covered. Otherwise, I would gladly pay the $20 AMEX fee per rental. Off to research!

I'm back. The policy states that "Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle" is covered.

What is not covered:
• Any obligation you assume under any other agreement
• Any violation of the auto rental agreement
• Confiscation by authorities
• Cost of any insurance or collision damage offered or purchased
through the auto rental company
• Depreciation of the rental vehicle caused by loss or damage, which
includes but is not limited to “diminished value” (“diminished value”
is the monetary difference between a vehicle’s pre-accident retail
book value and its retail book value after reasonable repairs are
made as the result of an accident)
• Expenses assumed, waived, or paid by the rental agency or
its insurer
• Expenses reimbursed under your personal auto insurance policy,
your employer or your employer’s insurance
• Injury of anyone or anything inside or outside of the vehicle
• Items not installed by the original manufacturer
• Leases and mini leases
• Loss due to hostility of any kind (including but not limited to war,
invasion, rebellion, or insurrection)
• Loss due to intentional acts or due to the driver(s) being under the
influence of alcohol, intoxicants, or drugs, or due to transportation of
contraband or engagement in illegal activities
• Loss due to off-road operation of the rental vehicle
• Loss or damage as a result of the Cardholder’s lack of reasonable
care in protecting the rental vehicle before or after damage occurs
(for example, leaving the vehicle unattended and running)
• Loss or theft of personal belongings
• Losses for which a claim form has not been received within one
hundred (100) days† from the date of the loss
• Losses for which all required documentation has not been received
within three hundred and sixty-five (365) days from the date of loss
• Losses reported more than sixty (60) days† from the date of loss
• Personal liability
• Rental periods that exceed or are intended to exceed thirty-one
(31) consecutive days within your country of residence or
thirty-one (31) consecutive days outside your country of residence.
• Vehicles that do not meet the definitions of covered vehicles
• Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown
So it seems that not "all other" rental coverage excludes items such as hail, vandalism, etc.

NS
Fyi, I have looked at many cc's, but can't review all. I stand corrected on your card since it says 'physical damage'. I have changed the wording in my above post to 'many', sorry for the unitentional misinformation. I suggest that all who use cc car rental coverage to verify whether it covers all physical damage or just collision.

Many be not important but AMEX also provides coverage for medical & personal property, these are secondary. Read terms & conditions at bottom of page https://feeservices.americanexpress.com ... ge/home.do
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

techrover
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by techrover » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 pm
techrover wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm
AMEX car rental while economical, may not be the best option. I have had negative exp. with a small claim that Hertz did in scammy way... AMEX is unable to resolve it after 1+ year and my bad that I paid off that claim amount via my credit card with regular bill- i.e. did not leave it as disputed amount.
Was this experience something that you tried to claim under the free Amex coverage or with the added charge "premium" coverage?
This was with "Premium" coverage. Funny thing is that the claim handlers have no idea of what to do when the rental company doesn't respond to claim in time. They should at least award the claim in favor of claimant if the other party doesn't respond, but no they could not and closed claim. Had to reopen claim...waiting for 1 year and on.

ncbill
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by ncbill » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 pm

The big gotcha is "loss of use" where the rental company can (and probably will) charge you their highest daily rate while the rental is being repaired.

AFAIK the only way to be sure the above is covered is to add a Use of Non-Owned Cars (UNOC) rider to your personal auto policy.

see http://www.mymoneyblog.com/state-farm-a ... erage.html

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:40 pm

ncbill wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 pm
The big gotcha is "loss of use" where the rental company can (and probably will) charge you their highest daily rate while the rental is being repaired.
AFAIK the only way to be sure the above is covered is to add a Use of Non-Owned Cars (UNOC) rider to your personal auto policy.
see http://www.mymoneyblog.com/state-farm-a ... erage.html
If you are just an occasional renter, I suppose (unfortunately) this may be a reasonable risk to take. Or, perhaps, pay the rental company insurance for this. :(

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm

It has been a long time, but when I worked for a Megacorp (one of the biggest), we could (and were encouraged) use the Megacorp deal with Avis or Hertz for personal rentals and (as best I recall) the Megacorp rental contract allowed declining all of these rental insurance charges.

I wonder, today, if big employer plans have such provisions?

TravelGeek
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm
It has been a long time, but when I worked for a Megacorp (one of the biggest), we could (and were encouraged) use the Megacorp deal with Avis or Hertz for personal rentals and (as best I recall) the Megacorp rental contract allowed declining all of these rental insurance charges.

I wonder, today, if big employer plans have such provisions?
My Megacorp uses Hertz and Avis for business travel, and insurance (waiver) is either part of the rate or we are self-insured (not sure which; we are told to not accept any insurance if asked by the car rental agent).

We are also NOT allowed to use the corporate rate for personal travel.

I use my CSR’s coverage. So far in 25 years of car rental usage I have not had any damage or loss.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm
It has been a long time, but when I worked for a Megacorp (one of the biggest), we could (and were encouraged) use the Megacorp deal with Avis or Hertz for personal rentals and (as best I recall) the Megacorp rental contract allowed declining all of these rental insurance charges.
I wonder, today, if big employer plans have such provisions?
My Megacorp uses Hertz and Avis for business travel, and insurance (waiver) is either part of the rate or we are self-insured (not sure which; we are told to not accept any insurance if asked by the car rental agent).
We are also NOT allowed to use the corporate rate for personal travel.
I use my CSR’s coverage. So far in 25 years of car rental usage I have not had any damage or loss.
Again, it has been a lng, long time - but I recall, specifically, we were allowed (and even encouraged) to use the Megacorp rate for personal use.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 pm
Again, it has been a lng, long time - but I recall, specifically, we were allowed (and even encouraged) to use the Megacorp rate for personal use.
Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me. It would increase the “volume” of travel spend sent by the company to the car rental companies and thus lead to potentially larger volume discounts. But travel policies vary from company to company. Not sure why ours is more restrictive; perhaps it is the self-insurance thing and the company not wanting to pick up liability for personal travel.

And while we are also not allowed to use corporate hotel rates for personal travel, the company did negotiate special discounted rates with a few large chains that offer better rates than the standard AAA/AARP discounts. And better cancellation policies. So I am happy about that.

User avatar
neurosphere
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by neurosphere » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 am

orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm
Fyi, I have looked at many cc's, but can't review all. I stand corrected on your card since it says 'physical damage'. I have changed the wording in my above post to 'many', sorry for the unitentional misinformation. I suggest that all who use cc car rental coverage to verify whether it covers all physical damage or just collision.
fyi, just want to point out that I was in no way intending to be snarky with my reply to your post. Upon rereading I realize my tone could have been interpreted as mean spirited. I was pleasantly surprised that my card of choice did indeed cover things like hail (I rent about 100 days per year in South Dakota)! An important point throughout this thread is indeed for everyone to read the details of the CC policy closely! :beer

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by tibbitts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am

It's never clear what is covered or not. In the same documents, Chase says:

The Auto Rental CDW benefit provides reimbursement for damage
due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental
vehicles.


later,

Covered losses are:
• physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle


So in one place something like hail would be included, and in another not.

I know that I was told that the loss of a wheel cover (those can be expensive!) would not be covered, so there's always a "gotcha" somewhere!

User avatar
neurosphere
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by neurosphere » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am
It's never clear what is covered or not. In the same documents, Chase says:

The Auto Rental CDW benefit provides reimbursement for damage
due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental
vehicles.


later,

Covered losses are:
• physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle


So in one place something like hail would be included, and in another not.

I know that I was told that the loss of a wheel cover (those can be expensive!) would not be covered, so there's always a "gotcha" somewhere!
Good point. So one way to read the "physical damage" part would be "AMONG THE DAMAGE COVERED is...physical damage (due to collision), ..." as opposed to "physical damage is covered".

Grrr. A wonder how long it would take to get a definitive answer from a reliable chase source? If a giant tree falls on the car, is that covered? Because it's a "collision" of a tree on my car! Or is collision implied to be between two automobiles or motor vehicles. What about a biker or skateboarder ramming into my parked car? Hmm.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 am

I have used the American Express Premium Car Rental Insurance in the past and think it can be a good deal, particularly for relatively long rental periods (due to its flat rate). I had one claim two or three years ago - I backed into someone at a national park (having a ranger take an accident report was a little different :happy ) and the minor damage claim was handled efficiently. Fortunately the other car was not damaged.

This may have been mentioned in the other thread, but if you get a rental car through Hotwire, and use your American Express card, you will need to contact the Amex insurance folks. They won't know that that the Hotwire charge is for a car rental and so the automatic coverage won't kick in as it would with Hertz, Dollar, etc.

I only recently realized that my Chase Sapphire card offers primary coverage :oops: and so I will look into it at is an alternative for future trips. Not a recent announcement:

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name ... nnoucement

mageedge
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by mageedge » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am

Personal experience - FWIW - I've had 3 car rental claims over the years, none involved collisions, no police reports filed. Chase coverage on 2, can't remember which card I used for the third. All handled and covered by the credit card adjusters.

1) Flying stone - presumably kicked up preceding vehicle - on the freeway near Seattle put a large dent in the hood of my, almost new, rental.

2) Tire ripped by barbed wire fence on one of those tiny English country lanes as I moved over for oncoming car. I purchased replacement tire and credit card company reimbursed me (I was pleasantly surprised - I guess they determined the incident went beyond "puncture")

3) Cracked windshield - another of those darned flying stones - also in Europe.

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by tibbitts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 am
I have used the American Express Premium Car Rental Insurance in the past and think it can be a good deal, particularly for relatively long rental periods (due to its flat rate). I had one claim two or three years ago - I backed into someone at a national park (having a ranger take an accident report was a little different :happy ) and the minor damage claim was handled efficiently. Fortunately the other car was not damaged.

This may have been mentioned in the other thread, but if you get a rental car through Hotwire, and use your American Express card, you will need to contact the Amex insurance folks. They won't know that that the Hotwire charge is for a car rental and so the automatic coverage won't kick in as it would with Hertz, Dollar, etc.

I only recently realized that my Chase Sapphire card offers primary coverage :oops: and so I will look into it at is an alternative for future trips. Not a recent announcement:

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name ... nnoucement
That's interesting about contacting AMEX, I wouldn't have thought of that.

hightower
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by hightower » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am

Just to add my experience with American Express. First, they offer rental car insurance without paying for it, just by using your amex to book the rental. We used this option a couple years ago when we rented a car in Hawaii. While parked in a parking lot, someone backed into the car and caused some minor damage. They left us a note and we contacted them, got their insurance info and called American Express and the rental company. The damage caused about $500 in repairs. Amex covered this with no hassle. However, one thing they do NOT cover and most credit card companies don't, is this stupid fee that the rental company charges called "loss of use." We had to pay that out of pocket. Essentially we had to pay rent on the car while it was in the shop for 2 days. Not a big deal, but we still had to pay it.
Most car insurance policies won't cover loss of use either unless you buy additional coverage. Either way, you're paying for it. It's just something that unfortunately rental car companies stick us with.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

Actually, I think that the terms of most credit card policies do cover loss of use - in theory. The problem can then become a documentation exercise, in which the credit card issuer wants utilization logs and the rental agency can't - or won't - provide them. The renter can get stuck with the fees, and so, same difference. :(
hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am
However, one thing they do NOT cover and most credit card companies don't, is this stupid fee that the rental company charges called "loss of use." We had to pay that out of pocket. Essentially we had to pay rent on the car while it was in the shop for 2 days. Not a big deal, but we still had to pay it.
Most car insurance policies won't cover loss of use either unless you buy additional coverage. Either way, you're paying for it. It's just something that unfortunately rental car companies stick us with.

Cheyenne
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 pm

the rental company charges called "loss of use."
I would imagine they charge that fee regardless if their is actual loss of use or if the lot is full of unrented cars.

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by tibbitts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm

hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am
Just to add my experience with American Express. First, they offer rental car insurance without paying for it, just by using your amex to book the rental. We used this option a couple years ago when we rented a car in Hawaii. While parked in a parking lot, someone backed into the car and caused some minor damage. They left us a note and we contacted them, got their insurance info and called American Express and the rental company. The damage caused about $500 in repairs. Amex covered this with no hassle. However, one thing they do NOT cover and most credit card companies don't, is this stupid fee that the rental company charges called "loss of use." We had to pay that out of pocket. Essentially we had to pay rent on the car while it was in the shop for 2 days. Not a big deal, but we still had to pay it.
Most car insurance policies won't cover loss of use either unless you buy additional coverage. Either way, you're paying for it. It's just something that unfortunately rental car companies stick us with.
It can be a big deal, because it's not unusual for repairs to take a week or more, and you'd be paying the daily "rack rate" for rental charge. So I would assume thousands of dollars wouldn't be unusual, but no insurance will cover it since no documentation will ever be provided.

katzmandu
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by katzmandu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 pm
orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm
I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.
The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. All the other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.
Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Good to know...
I believe they also function as primary insurance as well. Works well for someone like me who lives in a big city and doesnt have a car or car insurance. Most other coverage that comes free does not act as primary insurance. For the $19.95 per instance use, it more than covers my limited need.

tibbitts
Posts: 7934
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by tibbitts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm

katzmandu wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm
dm200 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 pm
orlandoman wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm
I use & recommend the AMEX Premium car rental insurance.
The BIG difference is that AMEX Premium covers 'ANY' damage to bring the car to the condition when rented & theft. All the other cc car rental coverage covers 'collision' damage & theft, read the coverage details.
Here are just a few tyes of damage that are not 'collision':
- hail damage
- car broken into by breaking a window
- vandalism, someone puts a scratch down the side of the car, for example
Good to know...
I believe they also function as primary insurance as well. Works well for someone like me who lives in a big city and doesnt have a car or car insurance. Most other coverage that comes free does not act as primary insurance. For the $19.95 per instance use, it more than covers my limited need.
Except for me every Boglehead has one of the Chase cards that provides primary covers. Actually my United card is from Chase and it too has primary coverage.

If you don't have a car or therefore any car insurance, every card provides primary coverage, not just the primary-coverage cards mentioned here.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm

When we had the rear window replaced because a thief smashed it to grab and steal S’s backpack in the car, there was no loss of use charge tacked on and Chase promptly reimbursed us the entire $455+ amount we were charged by the Rental company when we submitted documents requested.

Yes, we do pay $95/year but no charge for every rental with the card. We got 70,000 points upon spending $3000 in 1st 90 days plus no-hassle reimbursement for the smashed window. D uses the points to book her trips LAX-HNL regularly at less than we could pay cash for the trips so we are very happy with the card and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Oh yea, we also like that the card provides free travel insurance, so we book trips on it, just in case something comes up and we may need to cancel.

hightower
Posts: 501
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by hightower » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm
hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am
Just to add my experience with American Express. First, they offer rental car insurance without paying for it, just by using your amex to book the rental. We used this option a couple years ago when we rented a car in Hawaii. While parked in a parking lot, someone backed into the car and caused some minor damage. They left us a note and we contacted them, got their insurance info and called American Express and the rental company. The damage caused about $500 in repairs. Amex covered this with no hassle. However, one thing they do NOT cover and most credit card companies don't, is this stupid fee that the rental company charges called "loss of use." We had to pay that out of pocket. Essentially we had to pay rent on the car while it was in the shop for 2 days. Not a big deal, but we still had to pay it.
Most car insurance policies won't cover loss of use either unless you buy additional coverage. Either way, you're paying for it. It's just something that unfortunately rental car companies stick us with.
It can be a big deal, because it's not unusual for repairs to take a week or more, and you'd be paying the daily "rack rate" for rental charge. So I would assume thousands of dollars wouldn't be unusual, but no insurance will cover it since no documentation will ever be provided.
I don't see how it could add up to thousands of dollars. But, a few hundred perhaps, yes. More reason to stick with their cheapest rentals I guess. Regardless, you could probably fight it if they really tried to rip you off.

ncbill
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by ncbill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm

hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm
hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 am
Just to add my experience with American Express. First, they offer rental car insurance without paying for it, just by using your amex to book the rental. We used this option a couple years ago when we rented a car in Hawaii. While parked in a parking lot, someone backed into the car and caused some minor damage. They left us a note and we contacted them, got their insurance info and called American Express and the rental company. The damage caused about $500 in repairs. Amex covered this with no hassle. However, one thing they do NOT cover and most credit card companies don't, is this stupid fee that the rental company charges called "loss of use." We had to pay that out of pocket. Essentially we had to pay rent on the car while it was in the shop for 2 days. Not a big deal, but we still had to pay it.
Most car insurance policies won't cover loss of use either unless you buy additional coverage. Either way, you're paying for it. It's just something that unfortunately rental car companies stick us with.
It can be a big deal, because it's not unusual for repairs to take a week or more, and you'd be paying the daily "rack rate" for rental charge. So I would assume thousands of dollars wouldn't be unusual, but no insurance will cover it since no documentation will ever be provided.
I don't see how it could add up to thousands of dollars. But, a few hundred perhaps, yes. More reason to stick with their cheapest rentals I guess. Regardless, you could probably fight it if they really tried to rip you off.
Or just add an inexpensive UNOC rider to your personal auto insurance.

https://www.creditsesame.com/blog/insur ... insurance/

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/state-farm-a ... erage.html

raddoc101
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by raddoc101 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Wanted to vouch for chase sapphire preferred. I sideswiped a pole in a very tight garage and the credit card took care of the 800 dollar charge without a problem. Never had to file with my car insurance. National car rental was very fair in charging only that much for damage on nice new Ford Edge. No loss of use or loss of value fees.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:23 pm

The loss of use stuff is easy to fight. You don't just pay whatever they ask without documentation -- just the same as you wouldn't just pay a person you ran into if they said the damage was $873. You'd want to see a written estimate. Tell them you'll pay when they document their loss. They won't. End of story. If it ever goes to collections, you can fight it because again they will need to validate there is a debt--and simply stating "he owes loss of use of $873" without documentation isn't sufficient.

Moral: don't roll over on these charges. They go away.

squirm
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by squirm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Drew777 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm
FYI Chase Sapphire Preferred comes with primary rental car insurance at no cost.
Yup, and that's the card I use when renting cars.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by snackdog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm

I crashed a rental car once. Slid off a wet road, struck the curb, snapped the front axle and forced the passenger front wheel back into the door. My auto liability policy covered it. In fact, I gave my insurance details to the rental company (Enterprise) and never heard another word from them. I'm pretty sure it took more than a week to fix the car. The funny part was, the manager was very dubious about giving me a second rental after I demolished the first, but he sort of grudgingly handed over the keys.

User avatar
eye.surgeon
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: California

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm

I've been using the amex premium rental insurance for a while now and been very happy with it. $20 for a 2 week rental and knowing that I'm protected from the often-unscrupulous and aggressive rental car company accident policies is totally worth it. AmEx deals with them, not you, not your insurance company.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 13817
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by Watty » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Just a reminder, with any coverage like this be sure to check to see what countries you are covered in. The excluded countries list will vary with the card and they occasionally change so you need to be sure to check the current list.

Ireland is often on the excluded list but when I went there I had one credit card that did not exclude Ireland. I took the latest copy of the credit card policies with me and I had to show that to the rental car clerk to convince him that I had coverage and should not be required to buy their coverage.

In some countries they may force you to buy their expensive insurance if you cannot prove that you have coverage.

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm
I've been using the amex premium rental insurance for a while now and been very happy with it. $20 for a 2 week rental and knowing that I'm protected from the often-unscrupulous and aggressive rental car company accident policies is totally worth it. AmEx deals with them, not you, not your insurance company.
+1

I also use it for international rentals just for the peace of mind.

There are some countries, like Mexico, where even with credit card or AMEX insurance they are still likely to make bogus charges. In these situations paying the rental car company CDW daily fee was worth the cost while since I was only renting the car for a few days. When I turn the car in they started pointing out all sorts of tire scuffs and things like that they were going to charge me for. When I reminded him that I paid for their CCW he dropped it.

Leesbro63
Posts: 5440
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am

I helped a family member with a recent minor rental car accident. Once the insurers paid, the rental company hired a third party company to try to collect a few hundred dollars for loss of use. I told the company to please submit it to the insurer. They kept saying they did, but the insurer assured me that they never received the claim. I finally figured out that this was a pseudo-scam. Apparently the third party company knew the claim would be fought by the insurer, probably successfully. Their purpose was to shake down the driver, personally. I finally sent them a certified letter, telling them that unless and until they sent documentation showing processing of the claim from the insurer, we would pay nothing and that they should sue if they felt they could win. We never heard anything again.

The moral of the story is that loss of use and perhaps depreciated value claims are very grey areas. And it appears that rental car companies, at least in our case, knew that the insurer wouldn’t pay. And that the car renter shouldn’t pay either, because they’ll probably back off.

User avatar
JPH
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by JPH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 am

I have used the AMEX car rental insurance, but never had a claim. The only trouble I have had was in New York. The agent there said that NY state law required them to file any claim against the renter's personal insurance policy and they would not recognize any other insurance. I don't know if that is true or if they were just pressuring me to buy their insurance. I did not buy their insurance.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

misterno
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:55 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by misterno » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am

Drew777 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm
FYI Chase Sapphire Preferred comes with primary rental car insurance at no cost.
As far as I know, credit cards only offer liability not full coverage to rental cars

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17722
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am

misterno wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am
Drew777 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm
FYI Chase Sapphire Preferred comes with primary rental car insurance at no cost.
As far as I know, credit cards only offer liability not full coverage to rental cars
I do not think any cards provide liability coverage at all.

User avatar
eye.surgeon
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: California

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

JPH wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:56 am
I have used the AMEX car rental insurance, but never had a claim. The only trouble I have had was in New York. The agent there said that NY state law required them to file any claim against the renter's personal insurance policy and they would not recognize any other insurance. I don't know if that is true or if they were just pressuring me to buy their insurance. I did not buy their insurance.
The AmEx premium insurance plan IS your personal insurance as far as NY or any other state goes, you pay for the policy. It's no less "your personal insurance" than your primary auto insurance policy.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

misterno
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:55 am

Re: Signed up for American Express - "Premium" car rental insurance

Post by misterno » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am
misterno wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am
Drew777 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm
FYI Chase Sapphire Preferred comes with primary rental car insurance at no cost.
As far as I know, credit cards only offer liability not full coverage to rental cars
I do not think any cards provide liability coverage at all.
I am sorry I meant to say "no credit cards provide liability"

Post Reply