Cell phone service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
prettybogle
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 am

Cell phone service

Post by prettybogle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I am using a cheap cell phone service provider Cricket. Very disappointed with the service but also dont want to go with expensive options like verizon. Any suggestions please.

User avatar
weltschmerz
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Cell phone service

Post by weltschmerz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Republic Wireless, been using them for 3 years. Good coverage (they use Sprint's network), and cheap (< $20/month for my plan).

I would also consider Google's Project Fi.

DSInvestor
Posts: 10806
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 pm

My wife and I have cricket and we are pleased with it. Are you not getting signal in your area? Is 8Mbps data not fast enough for you? We particularly like our plan which allows us to use the phone without fear of roaming charges when we are in Canada. We have taken our cricket phones on cross country road trips through the US as well as British Columbia, Yukon. I used pay $70/month for an unlimited plan with T-Mobile and switched to our $45/month cricket plan (8GB/month data).

We find Cricket's network (AT&T) to be better than T-mobile's. However T-Mobile has great binge on features if you like to watch videos on your devices.
Wiki

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm

If you’re a Comcast/ Xfinity internet customer, check out Xfinity mobile. If your current phone is unlocked and compatible (or you buy one of theirs) you could find the service dirt cheap (depending on your data usage) and you will get Verizon coverage. I think it could be one of the best deals going. A few weeks in myself and I am impressed.

prettybogle
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by prettybogle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm
If you’re a Comcast/ Xfinity internet customer, check out Xfinity mobile. If your current phone is unlocked and compatible (or you buy one of theirs) you could find the service dirt cheap (depending on your data usage) and you will get Verizon coverage. I think it could be one of the best deals going. A few weeks in myself and I am impressed.
Thanks. If I use my current phone and sign up and 6 months later I buy unlocked iphone, can I change to that new phone ?

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm

prettybogle wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm
If you’re a Comcast/ Xfinity internet customer, check out Xfinity mobile. If your current phone is unlocked and compatible (or you buy one of theirs) you could find the service dirt cheap (depending on your data usage) and you will get Verizon coverage. I think it could be one of the best deals going. A few weeks in myself and I am impressed.
Thanks. If I use my current phone and sign up and 6 months later I buy unlocked iphone, can I change to that new phone ?
From what I understand, the answer is yes. It’s as simple as adding a new device—which can be done right in the app. Check to see if your current phone’s compatible.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

Fclevz
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:28 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by Fclevz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm


DavidW
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by DavidW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:06 am

Walmart has their branded version of phone/data plan. $25 for 1GB at 4G and 2G thereafter. If you use more, there are better packages.

If you just use your phone for voice and not data, I have seen variations of other plans for just voice only. Coverage will vary...

Useless info: I spoke with a guy that works in the technology area at walmart and he told me that they have a 2 cellphone (voice only) limit per customer per day. He hinted that a lot of people in the underground world uses these as burners.

KeepItSimple78
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Cell phone service

Post by KeepItSimple78 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 am

My wife and I use Ting and have an average monthly cell phone bill of just over $60. Neither of us use much data however. It's worth exploring.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.

anonenigma
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by anonenigma » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am

Look at the T-Mobile Over 55 deal. Unlimited everything. Free in Canada and Mexico and free text/data internationally. All for $60, taxes inclded, for two lines.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:26 am

The answer to what the best plan is is the same as to what the best AA is. It depends. Everybody comes at you with different answers. You need to run some numbers and figure out what relates to your situation and what’s important to you. For my user profile, nobody came close to Xfinity mobile. Here’s why:

Verizon network. I came from ATT and the improvement in voice quality is very noticeable (not that ATT was bad at all but Verizon is definitely better in my area). Millions of Xfinity hotspots where you don’t get charged for data. Multiple lines at no extra charge (up to 5 lines, I think). Can bring my own iPhone so no phone purchase needed. Very low data users (under 100mb) can get coverage for a few bucks a month. Intermediate users can get data for $12g per month. So say you use 1g per month most months. Your ~$15 bill for multiple lines, 1g data, Verizon network, and millions of free hotspots is going to be hard to beat. For unlimited data users, $45 per month is not bad at all but throttled after 20g so that takes the shine off of it. And of course, must be Xfinity internet customer or it’s a no go.

T mobile 55+ is very attractive for anyone who qualifies, needs unlimited data, and wants to use their phone abroad (at limited data speeds). But if you don’t travel abroad, there are cheaper unlimited plans. T mobile also gives stuff away and does a lot of promos. Downside? It’s T mobile. Not sure their network in the US is as good as Verizon and ATT.

Google Fi is interesting. Like Xfinity mobile, they use a combination of WiFi hotspots and cellular but phone compatibility is limited to a few android phones. And it won’t come out as cheap as XFINITY mobile for most users. The more users, the higher your bill could be if you use lots of data.

All the “off brand” plans need to be evaluated individually, based on which cellular carrier they use, prices, and limitations. Too many to compare. But start with priorities. Here are mine in order of importance.

1. Network. I want the best coverage. It’s no bargain if I can’t get coverage.

2. Cost for my level of use. I don’t need unlimited. My sweet spot is 1-3g per month for 2 lines.

3. I can use the phone I want and all the features of the phone (like visual voicemail, use phone as hotspot, etc) are enabled.

If you’re not confused enough yet, see this.
https://clark.com/best-of-mobile-electr ... ans-deals/

bikechuck
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by bikechuck » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am
Look at the T-Mobile Over 55 deal. Unlimited everything. Free in Canada and Mexico and free text/data internationally. All for $60, taxes inclded, for two lines.
My wife and I are considering that plan but we keep hearing that TMobile's rural coverage is poor. I would be interested in people's experience with their rural coverage and how it compares to Verizon.

trigger08
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by trigger08 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:42 pm

It really does depend on what your typical monthly usage is (voice minutes, texting, data) and where you live in terms of network reception. Once you know what you need, you can shop around the low-cost MVNOs for your preferred network to see which prepaid (or monthly) plan covers your needs. Cricket is on the AT&T network - perhaps one of MVNOs that uses the Verizon network would have a better signal in your area?

For example, I get by with spending about $10/quarter with H2O Wireless (AT&T network). But I am almost always around wi-fi where I can use Google Voice/Hangouts, so I hardly use any actual cell minutes/data. Before that I was using the Airvoice $10 plan (also runs on AT&T).

Mkeatty
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by Mkeatty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I highly recommend either Straight Talk or Total Wireless. Both are available through Walmart. Total Wireless exclusively uses Verizon, while Straight Talk uses all networks depending on the phone or SIM card you get. I get 5GB of data, unlimited talk and text for $35 a month and also receive an auto-pay discount with Total Wireless. Service through Verizon is excellent and I am using an unlocked S8+.

mouses
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by mouses » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Consumer Cellular. They use either AT&T or TMobile, you get to pick. Buy a phone from them or bring your own. I have them with AT&T and drive around in New England and have never had a problem getting a signal.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans

Pigeon
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by Pigeon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm
anonenigma wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am
Look at the T-Mobile Over 55 deal. Unlimited everything. Free in Canada and Mexico and free text/data internationally. All for $60, taxes inclded, for two lines.
My wife and I are considering that plan but we keep hearing that TMobile's rural coverage is poor. I would be interested in people's experience with their rural coverage and how it compares to Verizon.
That's going to depend on the particular rural area in question. Your best bet is going to be to ask people who live wherever you need service.

samtex
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by samtex » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:55 am

Without a doubt, Ting. CDMA and GSM now available. CDMA uses Sprint system, GSM uses T-Mobile. Cost is amazing, unless you are a data hog. And to top it off, a human actually answers the phone that can help you, without being transferred.

https://ting.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwtS ... gKFYvD_BwE

Samtex

trasmuss
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:10 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by trasmuss » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 am

bikechuck wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm
anonenigma wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am
Look at the T-Mobile Over 55 deal. Unlimited everything. Free in Canada and Mexico and free text/data internationally. All for $60, taxes inclded, for two lines.
My wife and I are considering that plan but we keep hearing that TMobile's rural coverage is poor. I would be interested in people's experience with their rural coverage and how it compares to Verizon.
My wife has a T-Mobile cell phone. When we travel west from Minnesota (Glacier, Yellowstone, Utah, etc.) the coverage always seems to stop around North Dakota. And it stays out until we are well on our way back. At Bryce Canyon National Park I heard someone's cell phone ring and he answered it. I made the comment to my wife that he must have Verizon. He heard me and when he got off the phone he said I was right. No way T-Mobile would have had a signal. My wife is talking about upgrading to a smartphone. T-Mobile is one I won't consider regardless of price. If you don't travel, of course, it can be worthwhile option to consider.

tenkuky
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by tenkuky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 am

mouses wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Consumer Cellular. They use either AT&T or TMobile, you get to pick. Buy a phone from them or bring your own. I have them with AT&T and drive around in New England and have never had a problem getting a signal.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans
+1
Thanks to this board, found CC, switched from ATT and never looked back.
Bought 2 IPhones 5s from them outright and pay <$60 per month for 3 lines unlimited text and voice and 250 MB data.

crumbgrabber
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by crumbgrabber » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 am

I agree with other posters—Xfinity mobile is a crazy-good deal. Probably the best kept secret in wireless right now. Verizon network and supports all the goodies: WiFi falling, hotspots, visual voicemail.

epictetus
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by epictetus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 am

depending on your usage you might look into Tracfone.

we have used them for years and it works well.

we don't use our cell phones much
Focus on what you can control

neilpilot
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 am

tenkuky wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 am
mouses wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Consumer Cellular. They use either AT&T or TMobile, you get to pick. Buy a phone from them or bring your own. I have them with AT&T and drive around in New England and have never had a problem getting a signal.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans
+1
Thanks to this board, found CC, switched from ATT and never looked back.
Bought 2 IPhones 5s from them outright and pay <$60 per month for 3 lines unlimited text and voice and 250 MB data.
Xfinity mobile would run $20 per month for your 3 lines unlimited text and voice and 250 MB data.

DanMahowny
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am

Check out Google Fi.

We pay $40-$45 p/mo for 2 lines.

tenkuky
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by tenkuky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:57 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 am
tenkuky wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 am
mouses wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Consumer Cellular. They use either AT&T or TMobile, you get to pick. Buy a phone from them or bring your own. I have them with AT&T and drive around in New England and have never had a problem getting a signal.

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans
+1
Thanks to this board, found CC, switched from ATT and never looked back.
Bought 2 IPhones 5s from them outright and pay <$60 per month for 3 lines unlimited text and voice and 250 MB data.
Xfinity mobile would run $20 per month for your 3 lines unlimited text and voice and 250 MB data.
But I'd have to be a Comcast internet customer right? We don't have Xfinity/Comcast option in our area :(

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 am

I think what’s often missing in these threads is that people don’t make a distinction between monthly fee and monthly per line fee. You get statements like, “my plan is great! Unlimited calls, text and data for $45 per month.” But if that’s for one line and there are three of you in the family, that’s a pretty crappy deal. As for unlimited calls and text, doesn’t nearly every cell service offer that? Hardly seems relevant.

These really long threads about cell phone plans probably don’t really help anyone make a decision. The answer is to make a simple spreadsheet and run the numbers. Shouldn’t take long to compile the cellphone plan data and the spreadsheet is pretty simple to create. Then you have your real answer.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 am

We have had Sprint for many years and service is fine.

As I posted on another thread, we recently converted our two phone (dumb cell phones) plan into our son's Sprint 4 or 5 phone "family" plan and we each got new smart phones. Our costs are about the same (BUT with new smart phones - unlimited calls, texts, data) and our son and girlfriend have their cell phone coss cut in half.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 am
I think what’s often missing in these threads is that people don’t make a distinction between monthly fee and monthly per line fee. You get statements like, “my plan is great! Unlimited calls, text and data for $45 per month.” But if that’s for one line and there are three of you in the family, that’s a pretty crappy deal. As for unlimited calls and text, doesn’t nearly every cell service offer that? Hardly seems relevant.
These really long threads about cell phone plans probably don’t really help anyone make a decision. The answer is to make a simple spreadsheet and run the numbers. Shouldn’t take long to compile the cellphone plan data and the spreadsheet is pretty simple to create. Then you have your real answer.
Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.

neilpilot
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am


Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.

tenkuky
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by tenkuky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am


Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.
Agreed.
We have never crossed our 250 MB data limit per month in over a year, use wifi whenever we can, rarely (on the road etc) use the data option and monitor our usage. Not too hard.
Also, agree on the poster re. be clearer about per line or total cost. In our case, 3 lines was $54 total per month.

PopArt
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by PopArt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 am

I just moved my spouse's iPhone 6 that was with Verizon (2 GIG per month for $60) over to XFINITY Mobile. OMG...it was a super easy and fast process now that XFINITY Mobile is offering Bring Your Own Device.

We went to Verizon Store, paid off our last monthly bill in full, walked over to a XFINITY Store and completed the port in 10 minutes, everything worked perfectly and the best part is our bill is only $12 to $15 per month...a 75% savings from what we were paying with Verizon.

The other cool feature is that you can toggle between paying by the GIG or Unlimited at anytime for free, even in the middle of your current billing cycle. If it looks like you are close to hitting 4 GIGs in a month you can flip to Unlimited for $45 and then flip back to by the GIG the following month...super easy to do with the XFINITY Mobile App.

We are now thinking about upgrading to XFINITY 1 GIG service with the money we have saved on their mobile service...if you have XFINITY internet service, you should check out XFINITY Mobile to see if you can save money over your current provider.

Cheers,
PopArt
"Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” | Keith Haring

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am
Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.
True - but our Sprint unlimited data plan is very reasonable. Once all the dust settle with discounts and electronic payment - my guess is that we will pay about $55 per month for two phones (new smart phones).

neilpilot
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:26 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am
Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.
True - but our Sprint unlimited data plan is very reasonable. Once all the dust settle with discounts and electronic payment - my guess is that we will pay about $55 per month for two phones (new smart phones).
Well I'm spending about $450/yr less than that. When I started my Xfinity service last September, I received 2 new smart phones for $1 each, including tax & shipping. Hard to beat that.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Well I'm spending about $450/yr less than that. When I started my Xfinity service last September, I received 2 new smart phones for $1 each, including tax & shipping. Hard to beat that.
I agree - seems like a really good deal :)

slbnoob
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by slbnoob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Xfinity mobile is a really good deal.

Some things to keep in mind:
1) Currently, only iPhones can be brought (BOYD). No Android right now.
2) CDMA compatible only, not GSM.
3) Need to have some other Xfinity service for the lower cost (Internet or Voice). I always call or cancel Internet at the end of the promotional period (2 months typically) to play Comcast at their own game. So having to cancel and reconnect even cellular service at the same time may get painful.

AntsOnTheMarch
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:16 pm

PopArt wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 am
The other cool feature is that you can toggle between paying by the GIG or Unlimited at anytime for free, even in the middle of your current billing cycle. If it looks like you are close to hitting 4 GIGs in a month you can flip to Unlimited for $45 and then flip back to by the GIG the following month...super easy to do with the XFINITY Mobile App.
Good point! I would just add that you can set an alert in the app that tells when you’ve used a certain amount of data. I’ve set mine at 3g. Anything over 3g is going to get rounded up to 4g so that is the time for me to switch from by the gig to unlimited.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1555
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:34 pm

So much depends on usage. We travel but mostly to large cities. We get poor coverage when we are in National parks, but we don’t go there to be on our phones anyway, so we are fine with that.

Our S and D use lots of data, so we like the unlimited no throttle data we get from T-Mobile we are ok with the $60/2 lines including all taxes and fees. We brought our own devices and are happy with them. We have 2 iPhones and 2 OnePlus Android phones.

prettybogle
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Cell phone service

Post by prettybogle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for sharing very useful information. Dont mean to hijack this thread but any suggestions on what would be a good case for iphone 8 ? As of now, Apple iphone 8 case seems to be decent.

inbox788
Posts: 5235
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Cell phone service

Post by inbox788 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am


Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.
Also, note that unlimited is NOT unlimited. They start to throttle or cap around 10 or 20 GB/month, which is not much more than the higher end capacities you can buy.

https://www.mintsim.com/product/3-month ... n-sim-kit/

Right now, Boost (Sprint), Cricket (ATT), and MetroPCS (T-mobile) all offer $25/month unlimited for 4 lines, which seems to be where they're competing, but be careful about the details including caps and speeds (Cricket is notorious for their 3 Mbit speed cap).

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 16744
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cell phone service

Post by dm200 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:56 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am

Yes - the deals seem to be in the 3, 4 or 5 phone plans. Look for unlimited DATA.
OTOH if you don't want to pay for unlimited data, then why pay for it? We average under 1G/mo total for our 2 lines, and have only gone to 2G one time in the past year. The best unlimited data plan we found would cost about $50 total, way more than the $17.50/mo we now pay for both lines, including tax and fees.
Also, note that unlimited is NOT unlimited. They start to throttle or cap around 10 or 20 GB/month, which is not much more than the higher end capacities you can buy.
https://www.mintsim.com/product/3-month ... n-sim-kit/
Right now, Boost (Sprint), Cricket (ATT), and MetroPCS (T-mobile) all offer $25/month unlimited for 4 lines, which seems to be where they're competing, but be careful about the details including caps and speeds (Cricket is notorious for their 3 Mbit speed cap).
So far ( 2 months) I have not noticed anything causing me problems or delays for what I do.

Post Reply