Any Creative Ways to Cut the Cable?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
joo2lo

Any Creative Ways to Cut the Cable?

Post by joo2lo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Our cable and internet bill has crept up to $170/mo over the past couple years after the initial promotion expired and the cable company switched ownership. Currently we are under Spectrum/Time Warner. We literally only watch a few TV channels (i.e. ESPN, Food Network, Discovery Channel). I'd like maintain the ability to watch our favorite channels while minimizing expenses. Any suggestions on how to do this? Of note we have a Netflix and Amazon Prime account. I also use my parent's cable account login to view channel apps on Firestick. Is Sling any good? I've also heard of people using antennas for cable? Any advise is greatly appreciated

bob60014

Re: Any Creative Ways to Cut the Cable?

Post by bob60014 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Common question each week. In advance search, type in Cutting Cable and also select Personal Consumer Issues. There are 25 pages of information related to this.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:13 pm

The husband and I are doing a free trial of YouTube TV right now, and we are really liking it. Everything seems to be available (and then some) for $35/month.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Call the company and ask for a new promotional rate.

I do this every 11 months, and my bill for cable, hbo, and 100mbps internet is 65$
IT-DevOps System Administrator

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm

cancel your cable
get an antenna
youll be amazed how much of your money is being wasted....
youll still spend too much time on netflix/prime.

MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 pm

We pay $39.99 a month for Internet, $8.xx a month for Netflix, use an HD antenna (free after $60 initial purchase), and use RedBox whenver something good is out. Luckily, NFL games are free on HD. I use the money saved to enjoy the MLB games in person at the ballpark or at the local bar... To be honest, even after beers, food, and tickets, we still come out ahead.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm

I wish I could go internet only but Comcast charges more for internet than internet+tv...

docbrown

Post by docbrown » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Here's a radical idea: cancel cable but don't replace it with Netflix, Hulu, or whatever. By cutting out all passive entertainment, which is really all the same stories and situations again and again, you'll have so much extra time you can do something really incredible.
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Cut back to Internet only. Choose a streaming TV provider. There are many, I suggest you try a few of their free trials before settling in. We happen to like SlingTV. YMMV. Should get you under $100/month for mostly the same experience.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 pm

joo2lo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Our cable and internet bill has crept up to $170/mo over the past couple years after the initial promotion expired and the cable company switched ownership. Currently we are under Spectrum/Time Warner. We literally only watch a few TV channels (i.e. ESPN, Food Network, Discovery Channel). I'd like maintain the ability to watch our favorite channels while minimizing expenses. Any suggestions on how to do this? Of note we have a Netflix and Amazon Prime account. I also use my parent's cable account login to view channel apps on Firestick. Is Sling any good? I've also heard of people using antennas for cable? Any advise is greatly appreciated
Sell all of your TVs. I did 4 years ago. I haven't missed anything.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm
cancel your cable
get an antenna
youll be amazed how much of your money is being wasted....
youll still spend too much time on netflix/prime.
Agreed. It is like walking on a plank and taking that next step off into nothing. A bit nerve wracking thinking somehow the world will end not having espn or lifetime, but you figure out very quickly how little you miss it. Just get an antenna for the broadcast channels and netflix+ amazon prime for everything else.

Off the topic, those who cut cable are a bit of contrarians. I can't believe the look I get from folks who come over and wonder why we don't have cable. Then they remember I cheap I am and that answers the question. A great way to prevent folks from asking for money. Folks figure if you are so cheap as not to have cable there is no way you will be giving out money for any cause they may have. :D

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Hulu really is a pretty good substitute for most of the network stuff. NBC, ABC, FOX stuff is all on there, but CBS is lacking.

The only thing use my "bunny ears" for at this point is live NFL games, and even that is moving online:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nfl-rights

NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm

We only had basic cable but the cost kept creeping up. It finally got up to about $40/mo. That's not a lot but we only watched PBS a few hours a week. So we just cancelled it and got rid of the TV. One of the best things I ever did.

nashirak

Post by nashirak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm

We ditched cable TV. We just run internet, netflix/Hulu/prime, and an HD antenna.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Just did this for my folks. They have Spectrum/Time Warner/Charter, and were using it for cable tv, internet, and phone. Spectrum is horrible. They wanted to stop paying them as much as they could. Here is what we did:

One Time Cost of $60 - HD Antenna for Network (ABC CBS NBC FOX) and public TV, and about 30 other stations.
One Time Cost of $85, + $40 to port phone line - Ooma for voice over IP phone. MRC (monthly recurring cost) of $5 for 911 and taxes.
One Time Cost of $30 - For a Roku Extreme. Now using Sling TV, for MRC of $20, which has most of the channels you want. Could of gotten the Roku for free from Sling as a promo, but needed to get it done and not wait for shipping.
Internet Cable - MRC of $65 for 100 mbps, still with Spectrum (the only game in town, unfortunately)

For a capital outlay of $215, now down to a mrc of $90, saving $70 per month, with a payback time (ROI) of about 3 months. Feels good!!

pcsrini

Post by pcsrini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:47 pm

We switched to Youtube TV a few months ago, and the service has been great. No Cables, Set top boxes etc. and simple to set up with no commitments. Networks included are on the page below:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 am

Stop watching TV. Amazing how good it feels to focus on other things.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am

Angelus359 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm
I wish I could go internet only but Comcast charges more for internet than internet+tv...
same, when i look at cutting the TV part, it's really not that much more.

especially if you start to factor in streaming services

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:13 pm
The husband and I are doing a free trial of YouTube TV right now, and we are really liking it. Everything seems to be available (and then some) for $35/month.
I did the YouTube TV trial in order to watch the Super Bowl earlier this month. I liked it too. But I cancelled before the trial was up. If it was $10/month, I'd keep it. Or I'd be willing to go higher if it had Game Show Network.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am

"DirectTV now" has a pretty good deal going right now. Prepay for 3 months of service for $105 and get a free Apple TV 4k.

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 am

joo2lo wrote:
You could just look at the cable offerings and pick a package that meets your needs. At 170 bucks you are not on the basic ESPN/internet package. You are several tiers up.

You can try some of the streaming (youtube, directtv, sling, ...) and depending on your needs they might be cheaper. But in general you will still be paying 60-80 bucks for internet (check your price for unbundled service) and 20-40 for the streaming service. You might not be talking about a big difference between that and the basic package. If you are willing to drop ESPN, antennas might be a reasonable alternative.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 am

Angelus359 wrote:
Are you sure? How many DVR and box fees are you paying on top of the basic internet + cable bundle price?

$15 here, $7 there, another $7 there. That is how you get to $150, $170 or higher.

Our internet (75mb down) is $50. Playstation view is $45. $95 compared to $130 or $150 adds up pretty fast over 12 months.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

bnrtgb

Post by bnrtgb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Check https://www.suppose.tv/tv where you can indicate your preferred & “must have” channels and it will give you the best available cord cutting, local, cable, and/or satellite combinations for the best price to get what you need or want.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Lots of good ideas. A couple things that I have done not mentioned above:

I only have 25Mbps service and I’m a heavy user with kids and Netflix and working from home occasionally. Anything over that speed is wasted money imo.

I bought an hd homerun and have plex and Roku on my TVs. The antenna is wired to the homerun and the homerun and plex allow me to watch live tv from any device (iPhone, roku, etc) and it records live tv onto plex for watching later. I end up with only two roku channels - Netflix and plex.

I also bought my own cable modem.

My total recurring cost for all tv I care to watch and all the internet I can use on every tv and device in my house is $35/mo.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm

You may be able to avoid the need for an antenna by running a cable straight to your TV and seeing what channels you get. Since I subscribe to internet only, I have access to unscrambled broadcast via cable and receive everything (and more) I would with an antenna.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm

We cancelled the cable last weekend. We have Amazon Video, Netflix and Sling TV to stream. It was cheaper to have internet plus basic cable than internet only, so we still have a cable box on our main tv for the 10-15 channels we get. Our bill went from $195 for cable and internet to $65 for internet, plus $10 for Netflix and $20 for Sling, or a savings of about $100 per month.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for this thread. I was paying for internet, phone, and TV (really feel embarrassed to post it) - roughly $300. For faster internet and YouTube tv (which covers all the channels I watch and more - I watch like 5 channels) - it is about $100. Love Bogleheads.org - the best forum :happy

tryterry

Post by tryterry » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm

YT TV has been good so far. Some issues with streaming it off of older TVs

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Angelus359 wrote:
It's possible, but look closely. We had the same thought so initially signed up for a cable package even though we didn't think we would use it much. Once you add on the cable box rental, remote rental, HD fee, random 'taxes' and fees, the price was much higher. You will also likely see a big price jump for the cable after a year when promotional pricing ends.

We switched to internet only. Much cheaper, and 90+% of our viewing was streaming anyway.

NeverGiveUP

Post by NeverGiveUP » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am

A couple of years ago I bought a Tivo OTA with lifetime service at a great price. I also picked up an Ooma Telo for my phone service. I kept FIOS 50/50 for internet - I don't know a way around that one. We don't watch a lot of TV so we are able to record the shows we want and can watch them at our leisure. I can't see us going back to cable triple play.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am

FYI, Youtube TV has just added the Turner channels (CNN, TNT, and TBS) and will raise its prices for new subscribers by $5/month in March. Since the lack of these channels was my biggest reason for remaining on the sidelines, I'm probably going to sign up before the price increase goes into effect.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:35 pm

If you entertain the idea of HD antenna, I would suggest to not only check with the internet of what channels you can expect to get in your area, but to actually buy an antenna and try it out. I was supposed to get 5 stations and about 7-9 programs (as per the web tests), got exactly one...so not an option for me....just a datapoint for folks living out in the boonies...and I tried four different antennas.

Aside from that, I had a one hour unpleasant discussion with TWC and cut my internet to the cheapest rate possible (15 USD/month) at the lowest speed possible and killed my TV entirely....8 years ago, absolutely no regrets.

Information content on TV has degraded rapidly over the decades anyway, so I get my information from NPR radio and my news from the internet. My low speed internet is actually fast enough to have two Netflix videos streamed and one person browsing around at the same time...no issue.

So, my monthly cost is 25 USD (basic internet and Netflix), and I enjoy many more trips to the library. Their delivery service in my area is excellent and I can get almost anything delivered within 3 days....with the exception of the same calendar year, which is somehow blocked. I noticed positive change in the kids as well since listening to radio triggered the desire to get audiobooks and changed their ability to focus and actually listen....just a nice byproduct I guess.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm

NeverGiveUP wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am
A couple of years ago I bought a Tivo OTA with lifetime service at a great price. I also picked up an Ooma Telo for my phone service. I kept FIOS 50/50 for internet - I don't know a way around that one. We don't watch a lot of TV so we are able to record the shows we want and can watch them at our leisure. I can't see us going back to cable triple play.
Tivo Roamio OTA - picked up my last one on sale (late November) for $199.

Dish network will install a power amplified outdoor antenna for $150.

https://www.fiercecable.com/broadcastin ... ntegration

rkuklinski

Post by rkuklinski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm

NeverGiveUP wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 am
:thumbsup

I did the exact same thing as the above. Complimenting an antenna with the DVR experience of TiVo really provides the "cable-like" experience.
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:07 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm
Common question each week. In advance search, type in Cutting Cable and also select Personal Consumer Issues. There are 25 pages of information related to this.
+1

AnnieK

Post by AnnieK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am

I am also in a Comcast area where, although advertised as cheaper, cable plus internet is far more expensive than internet only. Those extra taxes and fees really do add up to a lot.

We had to replace a TV this weekend and ended up buying a Roku TV. We have always had Roku boxes on our TVs but the integrated system is pretty awesome. Check them out if you are in the market for one. The 'antenna' is a Roku channel you pick and it even has an on-screen guide it creates from the OTA channel info.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm
Angelus359 wrote:
It's possible, but look closely. We had the same thought so initially signed up for a cable package even though we didn't think we would use it much. Once you add on the cable box rental, remote rental, HD fee, random 'taxes' and fees, the price was much higher. You will also likely see a big price jump for the cable after a year when promotional pricing ends.

We switched to internet only. Much cheaper, and 90+% of our viewing was streaming anyway.
I don't have hd, I have my own cable modem, the TV cable box has no fee.

There is a 7.75 broadcast tv fee

It's still cheaper to have cable TV... Slightly

As to promotional pricing, I call in every 11 months and get a new deal

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am

docbrown wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm
Here's a radical idea: cancel cable but don't replace it with Netflix, Hulu, or whatever. By cutting out all passive entertainment, which is really all the same stories and situations again and again, you'll have so much extra time you can do something really incredible.
I haven't had any form of television for years, until I signed up for BritBox $6.99 a month a few weeks ago. Every time I see idiot tv blathering in some waiting room, I say Thank God that is not in my house.

Cox has no Internet-only plan, though, so I am still paying for tv that I don't use.

Where I lived some years ago, a VHF and UHF antenna setup was fine and there were programs I actually wanted to watch.

Calico

Post by Calico » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 am

I cut the cable. It turns out I get all kinds of channels with an antenna (including some of the ones I thought were cable only). I also have Apple TV and Hulu, and Netflix, and I picked up something called Curiosity Stream for documentaries. I pretty much have everything I want. The only show I miss will be Doctor Who (and I can just buy the season on Apple TV if I want).

I find I watch less TV now though. I go to bed earlier (I needed more sleep anyway) and I am actually reading more of my National Geographic magazine. I think my life is better for cutting the cable (and not just because of money savings).

Some advise I would share: outdoor antennas are better than indoor. Hands down. I am actually using an outdoor antenna inside. I may move it outside because it would seem something about my windows blocks signal. I have to open the windows to watch the local news. You will want to figure out if the TV stations you want are UHF or VHF too and make sure you get the right antenna. I used this website to figure things out: https://www.antennaweb.org/Address.

newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:56 pm

I cut the cord a few months ago and am very happy with Hulu.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:07 pm

joo2lo wrote:
Any suggestions on how to do this?
My solution has been to just switch cable companies every couple years between the dish based ones and whatever local landbased one is available to you. This way you don't have to log into or switch between a handful of services to get everything you like. Whenever I do that, I go back to introductory rates which are about half of what you are currently paying. It is super easy because all I do is call and the new company is there setting up their equipment leaving the previous company's equipment in a pile which I stick in a box they provide and have a UPS driver pick it up from my front porch.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 pm

I just switched to Youtube TV, it's been awesome. Here's what I was looking for: Lowest package that gives me Big Ten Network and my Fox Sports regional package along with the other typical sports channels. One thing I really liked about it is that I get all of our local stations. Don't just blindly listen to people telling you to get an antenna, depending on location of your house to the towers and the location of your antenna you may not get those channels at all or not very well. Anyways, $35/month and no contract, I can literally watch it seamlessly on any of my devices anywhere.

I think Sling TV has cheaper options, but make sure an antenna works for your local channels if that's important to you. I really think people take that for granted. I also find it to be a huge pain to switch inputs when I'm trying to channel surf between local 4 channels and the traditional cable channels. In my city, Youtube TV was the perfect solution.

offtheback

Post by offtheback » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm

We currently are using Playstation Vue for our national TV channels for $45/mo, an antenna for locals $0/mo ($29.00 antenna 6 years ago), Comcast Xfinity internet for $39.99/mo for 25Mbps, and an Ooma for a landline at $4.52/mo.

Later this month we are going to try out Philo TV since I don't watch a ton of sports in the spring time...and they are super low cost!

We used Sling TV for almost a year and it was OK - we like the channel choices from Playstation Vue - but they just raised our pricing in December, so we are looking elsewhere...we have also trailed FuboTV which has tons of sports and it was just so-so. I am probably going to get a month or 2 of FuboTV again for some cycling coverage only they offer.

Once the football season starts back up I will probably get back on Playstation Vue - we are still always looking at other options like SlingTV and YouTube TV - it changes so quickly.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm moving in that direction as well. I had Internet/Cable/Phone with Xfinity. Have since dropped the phone (moved to Google Voice/Obi) and purchased my own modem, which saves another $11 a month. Monthly cost now is about $124 (150mbps & cable), which I think is still too high. I'm looking at dropping cable and moving to DirectTV Now since it carries our local channels. The problem I'm having is that if I drop the cable and go internet only, Xfinity jacks up the price on the internet.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

offtheback

Post by offtheback » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm

I have had really good luck going onto the public Comcast forums and getting a Comcast employee to help with billing - they can see what "specials" are available...http://forums.xfinity.com

Internet only can be found for pretty decent rates I have found. For whatever reason the public forums seem to be a good place to get help without the runaround that phone calls can incur. Might be something to try.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I guess a "creative" way to cut cable would be to cancel both cable and internet, then read the paper, listen to radio, and/or watch cheap DVDs (or better yet, VHS tapes - you can still buy them at the pawn shop in our town)
:sharebeer

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm
I would throw a caveat on this topic though and say that the answer to this changes weekly as well. New services spring up seemingly all the time, services get and drop channels. It's really kind of a revolution in how people are watching TV, and it's evolving often.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:24 pm

tryterry wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:41 pm
YT TV has been good so far. Some issues with streaming it off of older TVs
I love Youtube TV. Love it. Locals, unlimited DVR, many top channels. It's very inexpensive. Love it.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 pm
I guess a "creative" way to cut cable would be to cancel both cable and internet, then read the paper [...]
And when you want to watch the Big Game, head over to your friendly neighborhood sports bar. :sharebeer
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

suewolf

Post by suewolf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Youtube TV. Have used it for six months. Excellent and hetting better. Saving about $60/month.
Tried sling but didnt care for the interface.