Diamonds [Earrings and ring]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
iracks

Diamonds [Earrings and ring]

Post by iracks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Dear bogleheads

I’m planning to buy diamond ear rings and ring for my Dw. Please provide your suggestions as to where this can be bought?

Many thanks for your suggestion and time
Iracks

Pajamas

Re: Diamonds

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

What's her preference?

iracks

Post by iracks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Dear pajamas

I wanted to surprise her with both. So she doesn’t know.😊

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Some place with a good return/exchange policy so she can exchange if what you choose is not her taste :)

(yes my husband still brings up the necklace he bought me that I exchanged for one I loved :))

lafder

hazlitt

Post by hazlitt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 pm

If you can, buy wholesale. It's not as hard as you might think, depending on where you live and who you know.

To use one example, there is a wholesale mart in Atlanta. There are showrooms for all kinds of things, but the only requirement to get in is a business license. Basically, you could have a landscaping business and get in to buy diamonds wholesale.

I did that when I was 23. Take cash, but don't tell them you have cash till after you agree on a price. Then agree on a lower price. I spent $3,000 and got the ring appraised for $6,000 the next week.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Blue Nile generally has good values and is fairly transparent about the merchandise and pricing compared to most jewelers.

They will accept exchanges within thirty days on stock merchandise so you can get something to surprise her with and still let her choose her own if you don't know already with confidence what she would really like.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (diamonds). I also retitled the thread (note the spelling).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Not to be the guy who gives advice about something that wasn't asked about, but...ah, what's BH for if not that:

Are you sure she wants diamonds? Or do you want to get her nice jewelry and decided on diamonds? Diamonds are commoditized. If I were doing this, I would pick out a diamond on Blue Nile (for example) and get it set. A custom ring (designed by you) will be at least $1500 plus stone. No idea what your budget is.

Imo, there are much prettier choices than diamonds -- which all tend to look exactly the same and are dazzling in the halogen spotlights strategically placed in jewelers' ceilings. And you can pay through the nose for an ideal-cut, D/E/F-color, VVS1 and after the first hand wash and moisturizer, it looks like a diamond costing a tenth as much. And forget about intrinsic value -- it will be almost unsellable by a private party like yourself.

Not sure if you need info by midnight tonight ( :D ) but I think the best value is an older colored stone like an untreated sapphire or aqua. They are different in different light (change colors) and are unique. I think most women (sorry, that I'm married to) would love 20's-era platinum stuff. It's cheaper than new, and prettier, imo.

If it must be diamond, studs (earrings) are a safe choice. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by those, and she can "up-size" as needed. Dressy or wear them every day. Make sure you get screw-backs so they don't get lost; earrings are kinda disposable in our house :D . Color and clarity are a lot less important in earrings, but never get an I3 (=trash) or a "filled" diamond.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

sport

Re: Diamonds [Earrings and ring]

Post by sport » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Costco has good prices and selection of jewelry. They won't cheat you on value and their return policy is legendary. If DW does not want the items you select, she can easily exchange them for something she prefers. They also have a wide range of prices from inexpensive up to very expensive. They recently had a necklace for sale at $450,000. They must have sold it because the most expensive one now is "only" $150,000. https://www.costco.com/one-of-a-kind-necklaces.html

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 pm

I bought my wife's engagement ring at James Allen. She picked it out. :happy

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/

karlrasche

Post by karlrasche » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 am

Another vote for considering getting loose stones and having them set, especially for studs.

While a custom setting will cost more, settings are also commotized - check out Stuller for lots of "stock" settings. You local jeweler can order from them (they don't sell to the public) and handle the setting. Try a few places - you'll find markups and labor prices can vary wildly.

Returns will be tricker if you go this route, so bear that in mind. There's lots of interesting options in colored gems also if you're thinking of that route..

runner540

Post by runner540 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 am

You know her better than us. But unless she has specifically said, I want those diamond earrings, proceed with caution. Doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with fine jewelry. There is so much variety beyond just studs. Blue Nile is nice for very basic, classic designs at good prices. But she may prefer the Tiffany brand, or a more modern design.

For the love of your wife, please surprise her with, "Honey, I want to buy you some beautiful jewelry. I got a sitter and let's go shopping!"

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am

I bought my DW wedding ring, necklace, and earrings all at Blue Nile. It has been over 10 years. At the time, I really like the site, and my research showed it was a reasonable way to go. I don't know the best path today.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 am

iracks wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm
Dear pajamas

I wanted to surprise her with both. So she doesn’t know.😊
Just as long as you're not surprised if she decides to exchange them for something else she likes better.

+1 to runner540's suggestion above.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

iracks

Post by iracks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:43 pm

I bought 1.5 carat super ideal round diamond in April from www.whiteflash.com and had them set it in a simple platinum setting by Vatche. Fwiw, it's an F & VVS2. We're getting married next week and have a small diamond wedding band coming for her and a plain platinum band for me.

They also do earrings. They have a store outside Houston, but mainly sell on line around the world. First class. Not only do they have an excellent return policy, but they have an excellent trade in policy.

I'm a firm believer in buying the best cut I can afford in order to get a diamond that performs in all types of light. That's why I was mostly looking at Whiteflash, Brian Gavin and High Performance Diamonds.

The better places have the diamonds in their inventory and can send better or different pics and comparison pics of two or more diamonds. Many of the diamonds you see listed on line are in a virtual inventory - a computer database - and they are owned and held elsewhere - and maybe not even in the U.S.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Peruse the Pricescope forums. I also bought from Whiteflash -- got their branded super ideal diamond called A Cut Above.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:41 am

"I bought my DW wedding ring, necklace, and earrings all at Blue Nile. It has been over 10 years."

It seems their prices have been increasing according to the regulars on Pricescope. Maybe the new owners want a better return on their investment. In 2017 the company was purchased...

From Forbes...

"An investor group comprised of Bain Capital Private Equity, Bow Street and Adama Partners completed the acquisition of online diamond and jewelry retailer, Blue Nile, Friday for $40.75 per share in cash, the Seattle-based company said in a statement. A Securities and Exchange Commission 8-K document said the “total amount of funds used to complete the merger and related transactions and pay related fees and expenses was approximately $520 million.”

The transaction was first announced on Nov. 7, 2016, and was approved by Blue Nile's shareholders on February 2. Trading in Blue Nile’s common stock on NASDAQ will end February 21."

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 am

I'm intrigued by the idea of Lightbox, which sells synthetic diamonds (actual diamonds produced in a lab) for a flat $800/carat.

Some will be uncomfortable with the idea, since their actual resale value is something of an unknown, but I don't think most people sell unwanted jewelry anyway.

Unless you're an international diamond broker you probably aren't buying diamonds for the financial return.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:26 am

Unfortunately, at this point De Beers/Lightbox is only selling earrings and necklaces.
Of course, when they get their production ramped up you could always buy a necklace or stud earring and have the 1 carat round lab grown diamond set in a ring. 8-)

They've really undercut the entire lab grown market with their low-ball prices. We'll see how it works out, and if they can make enough product to satisfy the demand.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am

runner540 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 am
You know her better than us. But unless she has specifically said, I want those diamond earrings, proceed with caution. Doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with fine jewelry. There is so much variety beyond just studs. Blue Nile is nice for very basic, classic designs at good prices. But she may prefer the Tiffany brand, or a more modern design.

For the love of your wife, please surprise her with, "Honey, I want to buy you some beautiful jewelry. I got a sitter and let's go shopping!"
Agree. Jewelry is already terrible 'value' when it comes to $$$, don't make it even worse by picking out something she won't wear.

Costco is a great place to get jewelry. (But, the reality is that some people like to compare and will ask where the pieces are from. ) Also, another thumbs up for Bluenile.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 am

The few purchases I've done with my wife have been with Blue Nile and it was a good experience. Specifically on the engagement ring, she got mad at the price when she saw what I was building and negotiated me down to spending less even though she liked the setting and stone shape. Was further confirmation she was the right one for me!

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

iracks wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm
Thanks everyone
Hah!

You can't just revive your own thread from February 2018 and not tell us what you decided to do :D
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

iracks

Post by iracks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Raymond wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm
iracks wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm
Thanks everyone
Hah!

You can't just revive your own thread from February 2018 and not tell us what you decided to do :D
Hey Raymond :). I went with diamond studs finally.

simple man

Post by simple man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

I just bought diamond earrings also. There are a number of good online vendors but I went with Jamesallen.com at the end because they do not charge sales tax to my state and one of the other big ones would. THAT IS 8%. Big difference. And they have the same 30 day return policy. Very easy. Wired the funds from Schwab for an extra 1.5% savings....I have not wired in a while but Schwab lets you do it all from your online account. No Schwab interaction necessary, unless they call to verify. super easy.