Advice with Car Replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LAFiddler

Advice with Car Replacement?

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Hey BH, I need to change our vehicle situation, but I'm looking for a little input to help me out.

Wife (SAHM), one kid under 3, another on the way in summer.

Currently:

2007 Camry - 140k on the Odometer. Runs fine but has all the regular issues a 10 year old car would. Just had a dealer recall performed for oil consumption, replacing pistons, rings, connecting rods, crankshaft, rear main seal, head gasket. Fits two carseats no problem. Probably worth 6k private sale.

1994 F150 - Single Cab, 190k, Long bed. I love the utility of having a truck, and I know every bolt of the thing very well. Clean body and paint, but has all the problems of a 24 year old vehicle. Inline 6 Motor and Transmission seem like they still have plenty of life. Worth 2k.

Obviously, I need more seats for more people, so the truck ain't cutting it. We could probably work around it, since the wife is SAHM. But either way, it's old.

My options:

1. Buy a 2010-2013ish crew cab truck that can handle the carseats. Sell existing truck.

2. Buy a similar vintage sedan as a daily driver, keep truck as an occasional use. The wife approved this as an option, but I have a utilitarian issue with keeping an occasional use truck around and paying insurance on a weekend driver.

3. Buy a similar vintage van/crossover/suv thing, sell the truck as the van/suv could (kinda) take the place of it. Wife would get the bigger vehicle she wants, and I'd take the camry.

Sandtrap

Re: Advice with Car Replacement?

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Mahalo
J🌺

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 pm

I like #2 if you have a place to keep the pickup.

1 year of liability only insurance should be reasonable. I don't know how your state taxes license/tabs. If you think it is worth $2,000, maybe you get $1,500 or a bit more. Seems like I never quite get what I think an older car is worth.

#1 is easier, but likely more expensive. I like driving a sedan for regular driving. Just so much more comfortable.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 pm

We went the SUV route when we started having kids. My wife would not drive a van (SMH) :shock:. Having a vehicle that is a little higher makes it easier for parents to get the kids in and out of the car until they can do it themselves. It is a preference and financial decision. What does your wife want? The other piece of it is this is not a permanent decision. If you don't like your decision, sell it and get something different.

# of kids makes a difference. 1 is different than 3 or more. Do you plan to be the taxi/carpool where you constantly have friends of your kids that you are carting around. (maybe not now but when they get 4-5 years old that changes a little)

You could keep the truck for your truck stuff and then drive something more "family" focused with the wife/kid(s).

Reminiscing our SUV's (3 kids)
93 Chevy S10 Blazer
01 Dodge Durango (3rd seat)
05 GMC Yukon XL (205K miles- still have) (3rd seat)

Kids are all driving now and we will probably head back to the sedan. (Camry or Accord- idk) until grand kids come along.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

We currently have 2 vehicles, but for a few years we had 3 and at one point 4. It was kind of nice to have an extra car.

A few benefits-
My Mom often visits for a few days or a week at a time, so it was nice to have a car available for her. (now she needs to rent one when she visits)

Once or twice my wife's car would not start (battery issue, since resolved) so she would hop in the extra car to take the kids to school. Stress reliever knowing the extra car was there.

We could pack up the big car is a leisurely fashion for camping trips etc, then drive the others prior to departure. A pretty big convenience the 3 or 4 times we were able to pack the night before, pick up the kids from school, pile in the big car and get on the road.

Appearance of somebody home. Not sure how much of a factor this was, but it felt good to always have a car in the driveway or in front of the house.

A few drawbacks-
Cost. Yearly registration, insurance. For us it was about $600/year. Plus additional depreciation on the car. Plus some maintenance that is time-based rather than mileage-based.

Friends would ask to borrow our extra car. It was a little awkward. We eventually sold it to them (for very little $) as it was clear they needed another car more than we did.

Parking - we had either park the extra car in the driveway or make sure we moved it weekly.

My guess is your option 1 would be more expensive in the short term (higher initial cost for the crew cab truck vs a sedan) but option 2 would have some higher upkeep costs so might be more expensive in the long term.

We eventually tired of having 3/4 cars so are back down to 2. But it did have advantages for awhile.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm

I’m curious as to why having a second kid “obviously” requires more seats in your truck. I presume you never had a car seat in the front seat of the truck. Why do you need to put a car seat in there now?

But if you want to replace the truck, I’d get one with a quad cab. So maybe option #1. Personally, I’d be trying to push the decision off until the new Ranger comes out.

JT

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

#1 sounds good to me.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:04 pm
I’m curious as to why having a second kid “obviously” requires more seats in your truck. I presume you never had a car seat in the front seat of the truck. Why do you need to put a car seat in there now?

But if you want to replace the truck, I’d get one with a quad cab. So maybe option #1. Personally, I’d be trying to push the decision off until the new Ranger comes out.

JT
We do ride with all three of us in the truck, especially for cruising around to local events (waxed and detailed, it's a head-turner) During the summer, we end up hauling stuff in the back to a family vacation house (5-6 times a year). I regularly put the car seat in the front of the truck.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm

tyrion wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm
We currently have 2 vehicles, but for a few years we had 3 and at one point 4. It was kind of nice to have an extra car.

A few benefits-
My Mom often visits for a few days or a week at a time, so it was nice to have a car available for her. (now she needs to rent one when she visits)

Once or twice my wife's car would not start (battery issue, since resolved) so she would hop in the extra car to take the kids to school. Stress reliever knowing the extra car was there.

We could pack up the big car is a leisurely fashion for camping trips etc, then drive the others prior to departure. A pretty big convenience the 3 or 4 times we were able to pack the night before, pick up the kids from school, pile in the big car and get on the road.

Appearance of somebody home. Not sure how much of a factor this was, but it felt good to always have a car in the driveway or in front of the house.

A few drawbacks-
Cost. Yearly registration, insurance. For us it was about $600/year. Plus additional depreciation on the car. Plus some maintenance that is time-based rather than mileage-based.

Friends would ask to borrow our extra car. It was a little awkward. We eventually sold it to them (for very little $) as it was clear they needed another car more than we did.

Parking - we had either park the extra car in the driveway or make sure we moved it weekly.

My guess is your option 1 would be more expensive in the short term (higher initial cost for the crew cab truck vs a sedan) but option 2 would have some higher upkeep costs so might be more expensive in the long term.

We eventually tired of having 3/4 cars so are back down to 2. But it did have advantages for awhile.
Thanks for the input. This is pretty helpful. I don't have a garage, so that's the only negative. Parking isn't really a problem, but I can't keep it out of the weather.

Last weekend, I had to reinstall a toilet and pick up a bunch of wood sculptures to have refinished. This weekend, I need to go get a half pallet of sod. I just can't imagine having to borrow a truck all the time.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 pm
I like #2 if you have a place to keep the pickup.

1 year of liability only insurance should be reasonable. I don't know how your state taxes license/tabs. If you think it is worth $2,000, maybe you get $1,500 or a bit more. Seems like I never quite get what I think an older car is worth.

#1 is easier, but likely more expensive. I like driving a sedan for regular driving. Just so much more comfortable.
Thanks. Your 1500 is probably accurate. It's my daily driver, and I put about 30 miles on it daily. I'm with you on the sedan for comfort, too.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm

soccerrules wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 pm
We went the SUV route when we started having kids. My wife would not drive a van (SMH) :shock:. Having a vehicle that is a little higher makes it easier for parents to get the kids in and out of the car until they can do it themselves. It is a preference and financial decision. What does your wife want? The other piece of it is this is not a permanent decision. If you don't like your decision, sell it and get something different.
It seems like I can get a MUCH better deal on a crew cab truck or sedan vs. a minivan or SUV. Most of the small SUVs don't seem any different for kid-hauling than a sedan. The Minivans I see in the 11-14k range are high mileage already. Wife wants a van, but she's not willing for us to pay for a new one.
soccerrules wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 pm
# of kids makes a difference. 1 is different than 3 or more. Do you plan to be the taxi/carpool where you constantly have friends of your kids that you are carting around. (maybe not now but when they get 4-5 years old that changes a little)
We're pretty confidently done having kids after this one. She may go back to work in 2-3 years, but it's not certain yet. Either way, I don't see us getting into the kid-hauling uber business. :D

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm

I propose for your consideration.......

Door #3.

In this episode we do a Survivor style challenge. You will take your truck to haul whatever you can think of. I will take my Ford Fusion and TRAILER and attempt to haul whatever you do. If I succeed, I will place something on my trailer and see if you can match it with your truck.

The hauling will include unloading. It is legal to unhitch a loaded trailer and call it delivered.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm

LAFiddler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm

It seems like I can get a MUCH better deal on a crew cab truck or sedan vs. a minivan or SUV. Most of the small SUVs don't seem any different for kid-hauling than a sedan.
Leaning in low to get heavy kids in and out of car seats is a lower back nightmare with a sedan. The taller crossover vehicles (such as CR-V, RAV-4, CX-5) make that maneuver very much easier.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Option 4. Keep the Camry. It’s a Camry and you just had a bunch of work done on it. Sell the truck. Get a subcompact, use it as the daily driver, and make the Camry the family car. Rent or borrow a truck the 6 times a year that you actually need it for truck things.

Option 5. Keep the Camry. Sell the truck. Buy a minivan. Use the Camry as your daily driver and the minivan as the family wagon. Rent or borrow a truck the 6 times a year that you need a truck.

Buy something to solve the 95% case. Rent when you need the extra 5%.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm
LAFiddler wrote:

It seems like I can get a MUCH better deal on a crew cab truck or sedan vs. a minivan or SUV. Most of the small SUVs don't seem any different for kid-hauling than a sedan.
Leaning in low to get heavy kids in and out of car seats is a lower back nightmare with a sedan. The taller crossover vehicles (such as CR-V, RAV-4, CX-5) make that maneuver very much easier.
You're right. We have experienced that with the Camry, but I didn't realize it until it was said here.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
I propose for your consideration.......

Door #3.

In this episode we do a Survivor style challenge. You will take your truck to haul whatever you can think of. I will take my Ford Fusion and TRAILER and attempt to haul whatever you do. If I succeed, I will place something on my trailer and see if you can match it with your truck.

The hauling will include unloading. It is legal to unhitch a loaded trailer and call it delivered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybKd0xwOV4

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 pm

LAFiddler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm
bottlecap wrote:

JT
We do ride with all three of us in the truck, especially for cruising around to local events (waxed and detailed, it's a head-turner) During the summer, we end up hauling stuff in the back to a family vacation house (5-6 times a year). I regularly put the car seat in the front of the truck.
Oh. I have three kids. I assumed that was illegal!

JT

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 pm
LAFiddler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm
bottlecap wrote:

JT
Oh. I have three kids. I assumed that was illegal!

JT
It’s legal here (LA) if you don’t have a rear seat and the car seat doesn’t have airbags in front of it

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Seems like you love trucks, you want a truck ....... than get a truck ! If the wife is on board, than "pull the ol' trigger"

Now this assumes you have the rest of your financial ship in order. Retirement, EF, etc. :sharebeer
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:59 pm

LAFiddler wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:02 pm
Hey BH, I need to change our vehicle situation, but I'm looking for a little input to help me out.
A lot of what to do really depends on your budget and how many of the car repairs your can do yourself.

If you have the means then a reasonable case can be made for buying a new reliable car that does not depreciate a lot, like a Honda or Toyota, then keeping it for a long time.

If you can't afford to buy a new car(been there done that !) then it would help to know more about what sort of budget you have.

Safety is a big factor too especially with two kids. I just bought a new Corolla mainly because Toyota has added a lot of the new advanced safety features to all of their cars including things like automatically braking when you are about to hit something. These are not foolproof but compared to my last car that did not even have ESC it is an order of magnitude more advanced.

You would want to do your own research but a few things to consider;
1) ESC became standard in 2012 and it seems to be a very desirable safety feature to have. If you buy a used vehicle I would put a high priority on getting a car or especially a truck that has ESC. Check to see if your 2007 Camry has ESC
2) About the same time they started doing additional offset crash tests which a lot of cars did poorly on. Within a year or two a lot of models were enforced to do much better on the offset crash tests.
3) Your current truck may not have a driver or passenger airbag or ESC. If so I would not use it as a daily driver just for safety reasons.

LAFiddler wrote:
2. Buy a similar vintage sedan as a daily driver,
The problem with this is that when you have two cars that are about the same age they may need to be replaced at about the same time. If possible I would consider getting a much newer one so that they would not need to be replaced at the same time.
LAFiddler wrote:
Obviously, I need more seats for more people....
Think just how big a car you really need. I have a carseat in the back of my new Corolla for my grankid and it fits just fine, two car seats would work fine too. The problem is that the trunk space would be tight with all the "kid stuff" so for two kids it could work but a bigger car would probably be better.

I would suggest;
1) Get a replacement car for your wife. Depending on your budget that could be anything from something like a new RAV4 with the latest safety features to a 2012(ish) large car or small SUV with ESC.
2) Use the Camry as your daily driver, it basically has a new engine now.
3) Sell the truck. When you actually need a truck renting one for a day will likely cost a LOT less than paying the insurance and maintenance to keep your current truck for occasional use.

Charizard1stEd

Post by Charizard1stEd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

There is no reason not to keep your camry. What makes you want to get rid of it?

You just got a free engine rebuild from the dealer. So if the transmission is good and the rest of the car is in good shape there is zero reason to get rid of it. Add on that the dealer performed work will come with a 1 year warranty. So no reason not to keep it at least one year and see whats what with it.

Also most aging vehicles burn oil to some extent. Checking oil at the gas pump and topping off as needed is cheaper than buying another car.

I think be honest with yourself. Are you looking for an excuse to get something new(er)? Just because a vehicle is "old" doesn't mean it needs replacement. If the engine and transmission are strong and it doesn't nickle and dime you every month I don't see a reason to replace them. But just wanting another vehicle is also a fine reason to get one. Just be honest with yourself and your personal financial situation.