Honda vs. Toyota: Which has more bang for the buck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MnyGrl

Honda vs. Toyota: Which has more bang for the buck?

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am

My Honda Element is going on 14 and I'm researching car replacements. My last three cars have been Hondas, but I learned to drive in a Toyota and know they are good cars.

I was going to go with a Civic, Accord or CRV, but have been reading about the stellar safety features in Toyotas - even the lower-end models - and wonder if I would be missing out if I didn't consider them.

I would like to keep my car purchase under $25K and shuttle two kids around. Safety is important to me, but my commute is short so mileage isn't too much of an issue. Since I keep cars for a long time and there is not too much of a discount on lightly used models, I'm planning on buying new.

Any recommendations/thoughts? Thanks!

Alexa9

Re: Honda vs. Toyota: Which has more bang for the buck?

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am

Can't go wrong with either one. They're the only two makes I would buy.
Toyota might be a bit more reliable if you drive your cars until they die. Also quieter.
Honda seems a little better interior design, sportier, and offers more intuitive features and Apple Carplay / Android Auto.
The RAV-4, Highlander, Corolla, and Camry: I would lean towards the Honda equivalent for each one if you read reviews online: CR-V, Pilot, Civic, and Accord.
Last edited by Alexa9 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am

I'm not sure you can get a crv for 25k. That is in the range of a civic w/Honda sense. I don't believe you can get the base civic with it included or added. IIRC the base accord does include it but I never priced one.

Bang for the buck they're going to be relatively the same. It's more of a personal preference between those brands.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am
Toyota might be a bit more reliable if you drive your cars until they die. Also quieter.
Honda seems a little better interior design, sportier, and offers more intuitive features and Apple Carplay / Android Auto.
The RAV-4, Highlander, Corolla, and Camry: I would lean towards the Honda equivalent for each one if you read reviews online: CR-V, Pilot, Civic, and Accord.
Agreed

I have had both Honda and Toyota. Can't go wrong with either one.

The only thing to check is that certain models of Honda (e.g. civic) is more desirable for theft (chop shop). This will save you the headache of having issues down the road.

I heard that some carmakers are using CVT for transmission. Some CVT transmissions are better than others. Maybe it would be good to check out the reviews at Consumers Reports...

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

I've had both. Honda seems to sell at a bit higher price, all other things being equal. I had problems with the Honda but not the Toyota. So I lean Toyota. But anecdote is not data.

Both are very good so I would make your decision based on a features/ price comparison.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

We just bought a new 2018 Mazda 3 for $18,000 -something out the door, not the base model either. We were lucky with year end pricing but I'd look at Mazdas too. This is my wife's car. I drive a Honda CR-V that is a few years old. My former car that my daughter now has is a Mazda 3.

WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 am

If you're going to be shuttling two kids around, and possibly their stuff and once in a while their friends, I would get the RAV or CRV. Test drive both, and see which one you like the best given the overall package and costs. These little SUVs are amazing well rounded....for not a ton of money, they drive great, have nice features, get relatively decent mileage, and can haul quite a bit of stuff (especially with seats folded).

Good luck.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am

Depends on what sort of "bang" you are looking for.

If you want a stick, then Toyota is off the table, at least in the models you listed.

The new Accord is very sweet, large back seat but no discounts yet
The Civic is well-discounted.

I don't favor SUVs so no comments there.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am

Toyota longevity
J🌺

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 am

I agree you can't go wrong either way. I personally have a 2012 Honda Accord with 72k miles and have not had a single issue. Though I have heard and read nothing but great things about the Camry as well.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am

Over the years, I've owned many of both and still do. Here's what I've learnt from my experience.

They're both equals when it comes to safety and reliability.

Honda's have more gizmos especially with their Apple / Android integration and are packaged more at the trim level (ex: you can't get leather seats on LX or sport etc.) However, I have experienced certain issues with all my Honda's ... paint starts to chip or fade fast and window regulators keep failing more often. These aren't issues in the initial years but say after the 5th year or so.

Toyota's seem to be built like tanks. They won't have the latest and greatest gizmos but that means no electrical gremlins either. Unlike Honda's, Toyota's seem to give their customers a choice to build their cars with whatever options/packages on any trim level (well ... almost). So far no paint or any other "minor" issues either. My only beef with them is their current design of radiator grilles. But it's very subjective (I love the Lexus grille's but find the Toyota ones repulsive) so there's that!

However, they aren't "value" based cars anymore. For that I'd look in to a Nissan or a Mazda.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am

My anecdotal experience after having both Toyota's and Honda's are that Toyota's give more bang for the buck for the following reasons:
1) Equally as good records (vary by model of course).
2) Honda service has costed more in my experience. Call local service shops and compare 30K service on a Honda and comparable Toyota model. Whenever I did this in the past - Honda was more by 20% or so.
3) Honda seems to skimp on what I consider great features. For example - my wife bought a high-end CRV - it did NOT have the smarthome buttons built in to control the garage doors so she had to carry a separate remote. Every Toyota and Subaru we ever owned (at least for the last 20 years) had these. It sounds simple but having to have an ugly remote clipped to the visor of a $30K plus car seems rediculous when every other car we owned (Toyotas and Subarus) had programmable buttons. One example of how Honda skimps.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Instead of the Civic/Corolla, you can get the Honda HRV and the Toyota C-HR. They are subcompact crossovers or smaller versions of a CR-V or RAV4. You can probably get loaded versions of these two models with all the safety features rather than the base models of the CR-V or RAV4 for $25k.

I lean towards Honda for the sportier drive and Android Auto/Carplay.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm

IME Nissan is just as good (actually better in comfort and maybe in the feel of the engine and handling performance) and cheaper, with better discounts. There is a bit of paying-for-the-name with Honda/Toyota. Nissan reliability has been fine, as is the dealer/service dept. experience.
So I would try them if you want the bang for the buck you mention.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Bought the RAV4 after shopping the RAV4, CR-V and CX-5.

CX-5: Nice exterior styling but somehow is cheap looking. Nice interior layout. Dealers are willing to discount. Inferior resale value, reliability and durability compared to the other two.

CR-V: Lots of good experience with Hondas. Resale, reliability and durability are great. Forward visbility (of the corners) is poor for short people because of the steep slope of the hood. The infotaiment screen is a giant eyesore on the dashboard. Wary of the CVT transmission.

RAV-4: Resale, reliability and durability are great. Easiest to work on for common maintenance. Made in Japan. Dealers are not willing to discount much. It will be replaced by a new design late in 2018.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 pm

They are generally similar enough that you should test drive them to see how they fit and feel.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for all the insights. I wasn't aware that the Hondas have CVT - sounds like that might be a bad thing if I want to keep the car for a long time.

Now leaning towards a Camry. :)

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 pm

MnyGrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am
My Honda Element is going on 14 and I'm researching car replacements. My last three cars have been Hondas, but I learned to drive in a Toyota and know they are good cars.

I was going to go with a Civic, Accord or CRV, but have been reading about the stellar safety features in Toyotas - even the lower-end models - and wonder if I would be missing out if I didn't consider them.

I would like to keep my car purchase under $25K and shuttle two kids around. Safety is important to me, but my commute is short so mileage isn't too much of an issue. Since I keep cars for a long time and there is not too much of a discount on lightly used models, I'm planning on buying new.

If safety is your concern, would a small/light car is a cause for concern? I can't imagine what happened with a Corolla or a Civic in a collision with bigger and heavier cars. Not that it would keep you buying a sedan, but I'd recommend CRV, Pilot, etc. if you want to stay with Japanese brand.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

CVTs have been around a while but they don't feel like a normal transmission. The Toyota gearbox is rock solid.

A Camry is a fine vehicle is you want reliable, safe transportation.

You can do more bargaining on a sedan than you can on an SUV. Sedans don't hold resale as well as SUVs, however.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

surveyor wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 am
I'm not sure you can get a crv for 25k. That is in the range of a civic w/Honda sense. I don't believe you can get the base civic with it included or added. IIRC the base accord does include it but I never priced one.

Bang for the buck they're going to be relatively the same. It's more of a personal preference between those brands.
If CarPlay is important to you, go Honda.

You *can* get a well-equipped Honda HR-V for $25k. I would look at them closely - seem roomier than the Civic, and less expensive than the CR-V.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm

I like the way my CVT feels. It's nice and smooth with no abrupt shifts. I see it maybe as a positive factor.
Last edited by rgs92 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm

My anecdotal experiences:

2012 Honda Accord (owned): engine revs high, lots of road noise, uncomfortable driver's seat with the headrest forcing my head forward

2010 Toyota Yaris (owned): transmission shifted so smoothly, lots of road noise, but cheap to maintain

2016 Toyota Camry (rented): silky smooth transmission, very little road noise, strong 4-cyl engine

2016 Toyota Rav4 (rented): smooth transmission, more road noise, VERY uncomfortable driver's seat

I would definitely lean more towards Toyota than Honda. Plus the new Honda Accord is quite ugly to me, while the Camry looks very appealing and sporty. I just wish they made these cars smaller. I don't need a car the size of the Camry, but if you step down to the Corolla, you're stuck with a much cheaper interior and a CVT transmission, which I hate.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Depending on your usage, I'd also take a look at Subaru--particularly the Forester since you're coming from a Honda Element.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm

I own and love both now (4runner, Civic and Accord) .... I just hate my two choices of reasonably local Toyota Dealers. In the end for factory / warranty service, etc. I end up happier with the Honda from the dealer perspective. My point here, is you are buying new AND consider using the dealer service, consider the dealer too. The difference between Toyota and Honda cars/truck is model year, trim, etc. You can't go too wrong with either... On a smallish kid-mobile, consider Subaru's though too. We bought a Crosstrek and really like it. good bang for the buck on safety features and price. But it is smallish like the Civic and HR-V

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 pm

We used to buy only Hondas (owned Accords, an Odyssey and a CRV). But now we own a RAV4 and a Prius. Love the RAV4, we got the base 2017 model (in December), one of the last 2017 RAV4s in our area, for a great price. Toyota SafetySense is built in - this includes lane departure warning, collision mitigation. The lane departure warning can be a bit annoying at first but you get used to it.

The RAV4 is unbelievable value for money. I think we paid slightly south of 21K for our LE model (because we got it at the very end of the model year). I have not test driven a CR-V, but I found the CR-V to be more expensive than the RAV4, not sure if the extra $ was worth it for us.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Longtime Toyota driver here. I have considered Honda equivalent vehicles, usually Accord vs Camry, several times when buying a new car. In each instance, Camrys were always less expensive. I have always been pleased with my Toyotas, and when they are less expensive, it seems a no brainer to me to pick a Toyota. I have only owned one Honda product, an Acura which we liked a lot. I have not done comparisons between all the models, so my analysis may not apply to all models. However, your comfort and familiarity with Honda may result in a different decision. IMO, Toyota and Honda both make excellent cars, so you cannot go wrong with either one.

ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

It's a great question. I think it will come down to personal preference as we all tend to justify "bang for buck" in our own way. I read a behavioral economics book recently and they talked about the Endowment Effect and how we tend to prefer things that we already own. So in this instance you are a Honda owner and are looking at several of their models and likely lean that direction but are willing to consider Toyota. I'm the exact opposite and have owned Toyota's but am willing to consider a Honda.

If you put much stock into Consumer Reports and have a subscription you'll see Toyota is rated higher right now when it comes to midsize SUVs (Higlander over Pilot) and sedans (Camry over Accord). However in the small size SUV the CR-V is rated just higher than the RAV4. I think they do a decent job evaluating "bang for buck" as they take into account features, predicted reliability, price point, etc.

Ultimately you got to just go test drive the like for like models and compare the similar trim levels. I posted recently about evaluating a 2018 Camry versus buying out the 2015 Camry lease (bad decision from 3 years ago) I'm in and have recently test drove comparable Camry and Accords and was surprised that what is considered standard safety features on most trim levels of the Camry requires going to the highest trim level of the Accord. We test drove a Toyota Highlander and a Honda Pilot just for fun as we may look to purchase one for my wife down the road and noticed the same thing. I'd also say that Toyota dealers almost always offer 2 years of free maintenance with purchase while the Honda dealer I went to didn't offer any period of free maintenance. However, there were some advantages for Honda in that they partner with Apple Car Play (requires a physical usb cord) so their entertainment console system integrates better with iPhone users and is way more intuitive than Toyota's system. Lastly IMHO a Honda Pilot is better looking than the Toyota Highlander.

Key Differences noted:
- Both Honda and Toyota have sensors and systems for front crash prevention but Toyota's will apply the brakes to a full stop while Honda will apply them to reduce speed
-Both Honda and Toyota have blind spot monitoring but Honda's is activated when you are driving forward at 30+ mph and Toyota's is constantly on whether you are parallel parked or driving at any speed
- At higher trim levels you get radar sensors in the front/rear for parking and object avoidance. Honda's front radar oddly only works while in reverse (sales rep explained it's so you don't hit the car next to you while pulling out of a spot at a tight angle)
Last edited by ASpenderInRecovery on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:54 pm

MnyGrl:

When about to buy a car, anecdotal experience can be misleading. I think that nothing beats the April Car Issue of Consumer Reports which surveys thousands of car owners. It is available at most libraries.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

sport

Post by sport » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am
3) Honda seems to skimp on what I consider great features. For example - my wife bought a high-end CRV - it did NOT have the smarthome buttons built in to control the garage doors so she had to carry a separate remote. Every Toyota and Subaru we ever owned (at least for the last 20 years) had these. It sounds simple but having to have an ugly remote clipped to the visor of a $30K plus car seems rediculous when every other car we owned (Toyotas and Subarus) had programmable buttons. One example of how Honda skimps.
For Toyota, this varies with model, trim, and year. My 2010 Camry XLE has the smarthome feature. My 2013 Camry XLE does not; it was available only as part of an option package. My 2010 has premium cloth seats, my 2013 has ordinary cloth seats (I don't like leather). Some later Camry XLE years are available only with leather seats. So, if you are fussy about such things, you have to research the specs and decide which, if any, option packages you are willing to pay for.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 pm

I think the two brands appeal to different audiences. I would classify them as follows:

Honda - higher focus on performance and driving dynamics (more sporty), higher focus on design, more willing to take risks, more high tech
Toyota - higher focus on reliability, conservative approach to new tech, more lowest common denominator approach, i.e. design that isn't "cool" but is inoffensive for the majority, more of an appliance

For example, the newest Honda cars are mostly turbo-charged and have Android Auto/Apple Carplay (AA/AC). The newest Toyotas are naturally aspirated (I think risk mitigation is the reason), and do not offer AA/AC, instead opting for Toyota's proprietary Entune system.

I think buyers that want a reliable car that drives sportier than its price, and has more tech, lean towards Honda. Buyers that just want the most reliable and practical transportation lean Toyota.

Me personally, I would give Toyota the edge in reliability. However, I would opt for a Honda because they are 90% as reliable as Toyotas while offering a more engaging driving experience.

You can't really go wrong, it just depends on what you value in a car.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Anecdotal here, it’s Toyota.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Seem Toyota is more reliable to be, cheaper to buy. Very boring driving experience. It's more like old man's car. More like MB

Honda gives more for your dollar, very good driving experience. Like BMW. Less reliable than Toyota.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies! So much useful information here.

I think I'm going to go look at Camrys. Not sure what trim level - it looks like all the levels have the safety features I want.

Another related question - I am in the dark ages music technology-wise since my car is old - it just has a CD player and I still use CDs. Looks like a CD player is not an option in the new cars. Do I need to load all my music onto a flash drive and connect it? No idea what the Toyota sound systems are like.

Thanks again!

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm

MnyGrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm

I think I'm going to go look at Camrys. Not sure what trim level - it looks like all the levels have the safety features I want.

Another related question - I am in the dark ages music technology-wise since my car is old - it just has a CD player and I still use CDs. Looks like a CD player is not an option in the new cars. Do I need to load all my music onto a flash drive and connect it? No idea what the Toyota sound systems are like.

If CD players are important to you, Toyota may move up higher on your list. You have to be careful as Honda has removed CD players in many, if not all, of their models. I believe Toyota is still putting CD players in their models on at least a few of the Camry trims. Again, if CDs are an important feature to you, be sure to ask and confirm prior to seriously moving forward on any paperwork. Don't assume Honda or Toyota will have it based upon the price you're paying or trim you're getting.

Honestly, comparing Toyota versus Honda is the BH investing equivalent of is the S&P500 or TSM Index fund a "better" investment? You can have many experts in the field making compelling arguments on both sides and at the end of the day, there is not much difference.

snodog

Post by snodog » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

I prefer Toyota's for the styling and reliability.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Both are good value and are reliable.

Toyota has lost me as a customer until they remove that ugly grille from their new models:
(Lexus is even worse...)

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Can't go wrong with either.

On almost all of its models, Toyota offers advanced safety features (collision avoidance, etc.) as standard, even on the base models. Honda does not do this, so if you buy a Honda, I recommend making sure you upgrade as necessary to get these features, even if it costs you a little more money.

Also, our Toyotas have been more reliable than our Hondas. I think Consumer Reports generally rates Toyota as the more reliable of the two also.

I suggest looking at the specific vehicles you are interested in and comparing them. Most people looking for a sedan go with the Camry over the Accord. But most people looking for a small SUV go with the CRV over the Rav 4. But you need to find what works best for you.
Last edited by Finridge on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

If you’re buying a new car I would give serious consideration to either Kia or Hyundai. Both used to be garbage but are great vehicles now. As someone that used to be a huge Honda fanboy (and I’ve owned a couple Accords) I couldn’t be happier with my Optima.

I understand why people talk about how Honda and Toyota are the only two brands worth owning but I think that idea is outdated.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm

They're both absolutely fine. Depends on what you want. Toyota may be marginally more reliable. Maybe. Hondas have marginally more firepower under the hood. Both have the full gamut of safety features. Pick the one you like and can get the best deal on.

Personally I prefer Hondas. Toyotas tend to be a bit sluggish, and OMG, the front end on the new Toyotas and Lexus' is hideous. But it really is just a preference thing. There's nothing objectively wrong with either.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm

MnyGrl wrote:

Thanks again!
You rip all your CD's, put them on your phone, then use Bluetooth to connect your phone to your car.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm
MnyGrl wrote:

Thanks again!
You rip all your CD's, put them on your phone, then use Bluetooth to connect your phone to your car.
Agreed. The idea of a CD player being a priority seems like an antiquated idea. I haven’t used one in years.

rhornback

Post by rhornback » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm

I would look for which model has the new safety features: automatic collision detection and braking & lane departure standard.

I believe most of the 2018 models have this. Personally I think this is a feature worth buying new vs used for.

I have a Honda pilot and a Toyota sienna. The next vehicle I buy will probably be a new sienna or an Honda odyssey.

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 pm

The 2018 RAV4 still offers a CD player as well as Bluetooth.

sad2

Post by sad2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

srt7 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am
Over the years, I've owned many of both and still do. Here's what I've learnt from my experience.

They're both equals when it comes to safety and reliability.

Honda's have more gizmos especially with their Apple / Android integration and are packaged more at the trim level (ex: you can't get leather seats on LX or sport etc.) However, I have experienced certain issues with all my Honda's ... paint starts to chip or fade fast and window regulators keep failing more often. These aren't issues in the initial years but say after the 5th year or so.

Toyota's seem to be built like tanks. They won't have the latest and greatest gizmos but that means no electrical gremlins either. Unlike Honda's, Toyota's seem to give their customers a choice to build their cars with whatever options/packages on any trim level (well ... almost). So far no paint or any other "minor" issues either. My only beef with them is their current design of radiator grilles. But it's very subjective (I love the Lexus grille's but find the Toyota ones repulsive) so there's that!

However, they aren't "value" based cars anymore. For that I'd look in to a Nissan or a Mazda.
+1. Honda window regulators become problematic and are an expensive fix. Granted, my car is an 1999 Honda Accord.

philpill

Post by philpill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm

honda or toyota, the answer is Subaru...or at least looking at this month's consumer reports ...which is good enough for me.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm

I've owned Honda Accords since 1983....enuf said
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I've owned 3 different Honda's, and my parents have owned 3 as well. They've also had a Toyota and my wife drives a 2010 Corolla. Grandparents have had 3 Toyotas. Based on those (admittedly limited) experiences, and my dissatisfaction with the build quality and interior of the Corolla, I'd steer towards Hondas. While I believe they're similar mechanically for reliability overall, I just feel like you get a bit more bang for your buck on quality and that reliability aside, the mechanicals on the Hondas are smoother/better overall. The Corolla's transmission for example is a nightmare when downshifting to accelerate (common problem across the line for years, no known fix) with huge bangs/lurches, and it also has a steering issue that they won't do a recall on but will instead pay 50% to reprogram the steering module on due to a lawsuit. The Corolla is entry, but it's interior quality is far lower, (noisier, wiring defect across the lineup with the radio, rattles from glovebox, etc), and had several minor exterior issues (mirror cover popping off, wheel well skirts popping apart, loss of toyota insignia on wheel caps, etc). The worse thing on the Hondas for example was a slight design flaw in the H22 engine which increases oil consumption - we never saw quite the same minor quality issues on the interior or with little things.

It's entirely possible others have the opposite experience, but this is why I'd pick a Honda over a Toyota all else being equal. It's not always equal (I'd love a 4-runner for example), but it is a factor.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am
+1

Agree with everything above, plus with new safety features on Toyota. In addition, Toyota dealers have traditionally been much more willing to negotiate significant discounts off list (try for at least 15% off and then yes they'll always find a way to add a hundred or two to that "final" price but you should end up with a very significant discount plus [standard' a couple of years of free service]).

From what OP wrote, my suggestion = 2018 Camry with full safety suite (included) on base model. Comfortable, fast enough, safe, and really reliable and I suspect you can catch a great discount. However, Accord or CRV are no slouches and if you have good relation with Honda dealer and if they are discounting or have great service department, or whatever other reason they are fine too.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 am

I generally prefer Honda over Toyota, but another thread reminded me about the costly Honda transmission problems some owners have been stuck with, so I'm hesitant to consider them equivalent on reliability. Choose Honda for performance and style, or choose Toyota for quieter ride and reliability. Both are top choices, and hard to get away from when value is top consideration.