2016 Honda Pilot vs. Kia Sorento vs. RAV4 - Help me pick

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Newyorkbigfam

2016 Honda Pilot vs. Kia Sorento vs. RAV4 - Help me pick

Post by Newyorkbigfam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am

Hey guys/gals.

Can someone sell me on one of these cars? I have two kids and a dog. I already have a 2017 sienna and love it, great comfort/safety features/speed.

I was looking at the RAV4 but then bumped into the Sorento which led me to the Pilot. I would buy the pilot hands down if it had a regular shift knob and buttons on the infotainment center (and if it matched toyota's safety features). The RAV4 feels uninspired and boring, I plan to take this car on family trips, solo camping trips, etc. So I want a second car that has decent space, isn't slow and has all of the safety features that have literally saved me for a dozen accidents.

I feel like the Sorento is nice but handling kind of sucks,it seems to have everything plus a cool panoramic sunroof. Pilot I really like the comfort/speed/handling but hate the infotainment and shift knob - and I am not sure it matches in safety features compared to the RAV.

RAV4, well, it's 10k cheaper. Has everything except style, speed and deluxe comfort.

Help me out !!

lthenderson

Re: 2016 Honda Pilot vs. Kia Sorento vs. RAV4 - Help me pick

Post by lthenderson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 am

We have a 17 Sienna and a 15 RAV4. Did you know the RAV4 has a sport mode (at least on some models) that allows for a lot better acceleration up to interstate speeds?

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am

Those are all great cars. I thought the Sorento was peaceful, reliable and a great value. I would have bought it if it was a plugin hybrid. The Pilot got slightly dinged because the tire store I use said the AWD goes through tires quickly. The RAV4 was a little light for my safety preferences.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 am

Pilot to Sorento to Highlander would be a better comparison.

Rav4 is much smaller than the Pilot or Highlander. CRV to Rav4 would be a good comparison.

Coming from a Sienna, the space of the Rav4 would seem like a downgrade.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:43 pm

^^ What he said. You should look at a CR-V. Same class as the RAV4 and should be more fun to drive.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Newyorkbigfam wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 am
Hey guys/gals.

Can someone sell me on one of these cars? I have two kids and a dog. I already have a 2017 sienna and love it, great comfort/safety features/speed.

I was looking at the RAV4 but then bumped into the Sorento which led me to the Pilot. I would buy the pilot hands down if it had a regular shift knob and buttons on the infotainment center (and if it matched toyota's safety features). The RAV4 feels uninspired and boring, I plan to take this car on family trips, solo camping trips, etc. So I want a second car that has decent space, isn't slow and has all of the safety features that have literally saved me for a dozen accidents.

I feel like the Sorento is nice but handling kind of sucks,it seems to have everything plus a cool panoramic sunroof. Pilot I really like the comfort/speed/handling but hate the infotainment and shift knob - and I am not sure it matches in safety features compared to the RAV.

RAV4, well, it's 10k cheaper. Has everything except style, speed and deluxe comfort.

Help me out !!
It seems like your stable already has a vehicle that you need. What am I missing here?
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Have a 2018 RAV4. Great vehicle. The SE and "Adventure" trim levels are more fun to drive than the LE and XLE. Reliability (based on my other Toyotas) and ability to hold value are hard to beat.

Looked at the CR-V but the giant infotainment screen is annoying. Did not like the CVT transmission.

The Pilot is a larger class vehicle. Korean vehicles use too many Chinese parts.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Just a random data point but my 2013 Sorento has been disappointing. Have put in $3000 in repairs from starting at 100K miles to 120Kmiles and drives raggedy with multiple new issues that have not got fixed yet. Also the older generation of Sorentos (model years <2010) seemed to have pretty much vanished off the road which is not a good sign.
When we replace this with another 7 seater+ SUV, KIA will not be considered
The one thing I did like about it is that the v6 3.5L model is deceptively fast which came in handy at times driving in aggressive SoCal traffic.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I'd consider the Hyundai Santa Fe as an option as well.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Newyorkbigfam wrote:
You've already got the minivan, so check out the Mazda CX3, Toyota C-HR or Honda HR-V for alternative second vehicles. You might like their price, styling, speed, and if you think they're too small, going back to the RAV4 (or CRV or CX5) will make it seem bigger than comparing to larger vehicles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparison ... rison-test

carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

I have the 2004 Honda Pilot with four wheel drive with over 200,000 miles and I plan on keeping it until-maybe it dies. Of course it doesn't have the nifty safety features that the new Pilot has-Honda Sensing, etc. I am jealous but don't want to give up my Honda. Bought the rear view camera (Garmin $200 from Costco) and a $100 dash cam- It's not the same of course but it's helpful. I've looked at the Honda CR-V and the Rav 4 but I think the larger engine of the Honda Pilot with four wheel drive is way more powerful-enough to haul our Coleman tent/trailer and six passengers. (We took it to Canada-best trip ever). We need the four wheel drive for snow also-just in case it ever snows again in California. This Pilot still has its original engine and transmission. If I ever break down and need to buy another larger SUV the Pilot wins hands down-it has all those amazing safety features, larger engine and four wheel drive. Plus if I can drive it for 15 more years it could be the last vehicle I'll ever need-ha-ha.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm

audioaxes wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm
Just a random data point but my 2013 Sorento has been disappointing. Have put in $3000 in repairs from starting at 100K miles to 120Kmiles and drives raggedy with multiple new issues that have not got fixed yet. Also the older generation of Sorentos (model years <2010) seemed to have pretty much vanished off the road which is not a good sign.
When we replace this with another 7 seater+ SUV, KIA will not be considered
The one thing I did like about it is that the v6 3.5L model is deceptively fast which came in handy at times driving in aggressive SoCal traffic.
This.

I know 3 people with newish Kia Sorento's and they have all needed heaps of cash throwing at them.

plyoung

Post by plyoung » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Newyorkbigfam wrote:
Hey guys/gals.

Help me out !!
If you get the Honda Pilot EXL it has a regular gear shift (instead of the annoying push button one). You can add the "Honda Sensing" as an option which has all the latest safety features. Rear seat entertainment can also be added as an option on the EXL, and it already includes leather seating, etc. as standard. Honda's typically do much better in crash tests than Toyotas too. I am not sure what your timeline for purchasing is, but Honda has been bringing traditional knobs for volume and tuning back to its infotainment systems by customer demand, so I would expect those to be added back to the Pilot in the mid-cycle refresh which will most likely be with the 2019 model. Hope this helps.

hdcd

Post by hdcd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 pm

We have a 2006 Pilot AWD with 205K miles and it has been a great car. Still gets 20MPG with the air conditioner running going 70+ on long trips. We have just done the scheduled maintenance over the years. It's still running really strong and looks great and we plan on keeping it until it dies.

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 am

I have a 2007 Pilot with AWD and at 107k miles we had to spend about $4k on a new transmission. We did some research and found out it is a very common issue that Honda refuses to recognize or fix, and apparently it is still a problem. Just the other day I was reading an Edmunds article about 2016s with the same problem, and nothing has been changed for the newer models. I’m still frustrated that Honda has been so negligent with this issue, so even though we’ve own multiple Hondas through the years, I will never buy another one or recommend them.