Costco 'Goodyear' wiper blades

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Costco 'Goodyear' wiper blades

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:19 pm

I recently bought a pair of the Costco Goodyear wiper blades. (I have no idea who actually makes them but they are sold as Goodyear) Simply look online for the appropriate size for your vehicle before you go shopping.

Impressions:
- Very affordable at $8/blade
- Quality appeared to be just as good as the Premium tier blades from Autozone, they around $25 each depending on brand (subjective opinion)
- Performance is good: wiped the window clean with no streaking
- Installation was easy, the default attachment worked with my 2015 Honda Accord. Many other attachments are included
- Instructions seemed cryptic, but that's the case with most wiper blades

I think these are great deal. Will buy again when these wear out! (I replace about every 2-3 years)

tech_arch

Re: Costco 'Goodyear' wiper blades

Post by tech_arch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:19 pm
I think these are great deal. Will buy again when these wear out! (I replace about every 2-3 years)
Your blades last that long? I'm lucky to get a year out of mine in central FL.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Those blades are okay, but they don't last that 2-3 years. Maybe a year.

I've gone to the Bosch, which are twice as expensive (maybe a little more), to see how those go. So far, so good, but I haven't owned then that long.

JT

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 pm

I have noticed that if the temperature gets too cold then the rubber used in some wiper blades gets too stiff which impacts the noise and chatter the blade makes. So if one is in a place where it doesn't get cold, the brand of blade is more forgiving. Anybody else notice that? Maybe on a rental car?

I replace blades so rarely that I couldn't say which brand does well in the cold
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

I remember buying these and then returning them before use because they got really bad reviews.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

The biggest problem I have with wiper blades is that I think that a) they have a short shelf life, and b) they don't have a freshness date! My experience with wiper blades has been very variable. I can buy the same kind twice and one time they will be soft and wipe smoothly, without streaks, and another time they will be somewhat hard, chattery, and streaky. I wish I could figure out which kinds of blades are the "fast movers."
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I’ve had mixed experiences with Costco wiper blades. They used to be the “beam” type wiper and they were excellent in summer and winter conditions. Far surpassed the quality and performance of OEM wipers. Later, Costco started stocking blades that resembled “beam” wipers, but actually functioned as “bracket” wipers. They were inferior in every way to OEM wipers.

Both types of wiper had Goodyear branding. But they were not the same. This is why people have had disparate experiences with Costco wipers.

After that disappointment, I switched to buying my wipers from Autozone. The house brand “beam” type wipers are excellent and an okay price. Plus Costco doesn’t stock rear wipers for any of my cars, but Autozone does.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 pm

This is the first positive review I've read on the Costco Goodyears. In other parts of the interwebs, we're a bit perplexed why Costco sells Goodyear brand as people buy and then return them because they streak. Then again, Costco does enough business that they would drop said blades if they were a huge problem.

I exclusively buy Bosch blades (Icon or evolutions) as I generally get a good 3+ years out of them. I've honestly never had a bad blade from them. One time, I think it took about 3 weeks for a blade to break in without leaving a water line in the very center of the wiping action, but other than that, I swear by Bosch.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

They work for me the past several years. I replace every 1.5 years or so. Wait for them to go on sale. About 2-3 times a year they are buy one get one free.

iskey

Post by iskey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

I've purchased the Goodyear blades from Costco on three separate occasions. Each time was worse than the time before with streaking and rough glide. Won't be buying them again.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 pm

The Costco wipers I have bought all started streaking after 3-4 months. I switched to Bosch which cost twice as much but last an enitre year. Goodyear wiper blades are one of the rare Costco purchases I have made that were not worth the cost.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Put them on my wife's Highlander and they squeaked horribly, especially in the misting conditions that are so prevalent here in the Northwest. She demanded that I do something about it. I tried cleaning and Rain-X but that didn't solve the problem. Finally I googled up windshield wiper reviews and found the Bosh Icons to be highest rated and ordered a pair on Amazon. All the squeaking and squealing instantly gone, they are smooth as butter and do a better job of wiping as well.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:35 am

Both the Goodyear brand from Costco and the Peak brand from Sam's Club have been equally unimpressive. They might be made in the same factory. Going back to the Germans. The OE blades for my BMW are pretty expensive ($42/pair with BMWCCA discount), but work excellently and last 3+ years. The wife's Lexus is going back to Bosch.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am

I am amazed by those who report 1 to 3 years wiper blade life. I've never been able to get more than about 6 months before the blades begin to streak so bad that night driving in mist or rain becomes intolerable - pretty much no matter what brand blades I use and I've tried most of them over many years. Bosch Icon seems to be the best I've tried so far. I try to keep the blades clean, wiping with dish detergent if I pick up diesel fumes or oil from road splatter. I drive about 1000 miles/month and only a fraction of that is in the rain, mid-Atlantic region not near the ocean. What is your secret to long blade life?
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Anyone happen to know who "really" makes the Toyota-branded wiper blades I sometimes allow the dealer to sell me for a grotesquely inflated price? The truth of the matter is that I let them do it sometimes because they have in fact been a) the right size--the books hanging by a chain from the wiper display are sometimes wrong, and the slightly strange size my car takes is sometimes out of stock, and b) pretty consistently good quality.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 am

Howdy,

They stink. I typically get 2 years out of blades. I am lucky to get 6 months out of these. I have to clean them with alcohol once a month to get 6 months. RUN AWAY!

Good Luck,

Wally

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

tech_arch wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:19 pm
Your blades last that long? I'm lucky to get a year out of mine in central FL.
Well, I live in San Diego. It's only rained twice in the last 9 months :wink:

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am

A few years ago I bought a pair of these on sale at Costco for my Camry and for my wife's Sonata, they were awful. At 2 pair for $8 or so they were no bargain. On the Sonata they quickly left an annoying unwiped streak right at driver's eye height. On the Camry they streaked and made noise. I searched on ebay and located reasonably priced OEM blades for each car. I also found OEM blade inserts (just the rubber piece) for the Camry.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

Costco blades were good when they stocked the beam type blades, especially at the unbelievably cheap price of $5, when they would have $3 off. They call the new crappy ones "hybrid", which mean conventional blades with some plastic covering the brackets.

After that change at Costco, tried the cheapest beam blades from Walmart, they were terrible but put up with them for 6-9 months. Last ones we got were Trico, I think "Flex". Meijer had a sale with 50% off second blade plus an extra $5 off a $25 total in auto. I had to buy about $5 of wiper fluid to hit $25, so I think the net cost of two blades was around $15. The Tricos still seem okay after a year+, we have weather, but don't drive a lot.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I have a 5 year old vehicle and a 7 year old vehicle, with the original wiper blades on both. They are both still working fine. I would assume they are Motorcraft blades since they are both Ford products.

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:29 pm

The Goodyear wiper blades at Costco are awful. I returned them and bought Bosch Icon blades on Amazon. The Bosch blades cost more but last much longer. I love Costco, but they need to change their supplier for wiper blades.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Fletch wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am
I am amazed by those who report 1 to 3 years wiper blade life. I've never been able to get more than about 6 months before the blades begin to streak so bad that night driving in mist or rain becomes intolerable - pretty much no matter what brand blades I use and I've tried most of them over many years. Bosch Icon seems to be the best I've tried so far. I try to keep the blades clean, wiping with dish detergent if I pick up diesel fumes or oil from road splatter. I drive about 1000 miles/month and only a fraction of that is in the rain, mid-Atlantic region not near the ocean. What is your secret to long blade life?

I'm honestly perplexed why you are cycling through so many blades. Bosch Icons (I believe) are Bosch's premium line. I've put them on cars kept outdoors and garage kept and they usually last 3 years before they start drying out and becoming a problem. Also, I wash them with regular car soap as I wash cars by hand.

I don't know what to tell you other than to see how long your Icons last, as in a perfect world with price as no object, I'd always go with icons. Though, evolutions are very good as well.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Wow, I never expected these blades to be reviled! They are half the price of entry level Bosch and 30% of premium blades. They have worked well for me.

I'll post back when they fall apart :mrgreen:

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Enjoyed the Costco Goodyear blades on my Chevy pickup (don't have it anymore), got them for the wife's car wasted an hour but could not get them to fit had to take them back. :( Ended up getting Bosh for her car, went on in couple minutes.
They work great on my Chevy Impala and will continue to get them when they're on sale. :D

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 pm

I always just buy the dealer wipers for my cars when I get the oil changed. I change blades once a yr. South Florida gets lots of rain.

I purchased the Costco wiper blades by Goodyear around 2 yrs ago. The both fell apart after 6 months and scratched the windshield of my wife's car. So, I went back to dealer blades. I like OEM parts and the look good and match the origanal blades that came with the car.