Mesh wifi solution sought for new house

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Mesh wifi solution sought for new house

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I haven't found this discussed. If it has, apologies.

We are purchasing a new home. It is not huge, but I think it will present some challenges. There are three buildings: the main house, a garage with an exercise and art studio above it, and a cabana by the pool (yes, I know, the fruits of a Boglehead life). The main house has a lot of fieldstone in the exterior and interior walls; I don't know much about it, but I would think that's rough on wifi signals.

I currently cover my existing home with two Airport Extremes, using a shared ID and it works well. In one room, our FIOS router also provides some signal.

The new home will have FIOS; that's the existing service. I found an existing Ethernet connection in each of the buildings, and I suspect that the main house has some additional Ethernet pulls.

I don't know anything about combining mesh and traditional wifi; would putting the Airport Extremes in the two "outbuildings" work seamlessly? Well enough? Be a bad idea and I should go full mesh?

I assume that I should probably have 3 or more mesh units in the main house. We use streaming services to dedicated devices (i.e., Rokus) in our current house, and have had the luxury of an Ethernet pull to our main television, although the performance of our wifi'ed Rokus is not bad. Cost is less of a consideration than getting trouble-free performance; I'm old, cranky, and lazy, and I don't want to deal with debugging and figuring it out.

I thank you in advance for keeping it simple and, hopefully, finding a solution that I can just order on Amazon. Idiot-proof is a big plus; just ask my wife :oops:

ETA:I omitted to mention that the main house is 3 stories of space that requires WiFi. The garage: 2. The cabana: 1.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

KlangFool

Re: Mesh wifi solution sought for new house

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 pm

OP,

If you have plenty of Ethernet connections, put an Airport extreme at a few extra locations is the best solution. I have 2 Ethernet connections for each bedroom of my house. And, 2 Ethernet connections to each wall of the main living room.

KlangFool

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Among the mesh wifi products available today, I don't think you can do better than Netgear's Orbi. They also introduced outdoor satellite hardware, which might help you daisy-chain the network between your structures.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 pm
OP,

If you have plenty of Ethernet connections, put an Airport extreme at a few extra locations is the best solution. I have 2 Ethernet connections for each bedroom of my house. And, 2 Ethernet connections to each wall of the main living room.

KlangFool
During the home inspection, I tried to look for Ethernet connections. I saw a few, but I don't know if they built with chewing gum and rubber bands, or even if they worked at all. I think having Ethernet connections in each main room is unlikely. We had much more pressing things to examine during the inspection.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

I use Google Mesh.
I bought a Google On Hub Router about 2 years ago.
I purchased one mesh unit from amazon about 6 months ago.
The house is 1500 sq ft.
I spend a lot of time outside.
Coverage is superb.The signal follows whatever device I am using.
I can walk halfway down the block and stream netflix.
Take a look at the 3 pack from Amazon if you need that much coverage
Read about Google mesh wi-fi below.

https://store.google.com/us/product/goo ... n?hl=en-US

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-syst ... B01MAW2294

:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 pm
OP,

KlangFool
During the home inspection, I tried to look for Ethernet connections. I saw a few, but I don't know if they built with chewing gum and rubber bands, or even if they worked at all. I think having Ethernet connections in each main room is unlikely. We had much more pressing things to examine during the inspection.
TomatoTomahto,

I am a Wireless Engineer. Wired connection always works much better than wireless. So, before we try wireless mesh and so on, use Airport Extreme on wired connection should be your first choice.

KlangFool

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:20 pm

I Have one desktop hardwired.
The mesh wireless is for chromebooks,phones,firestick,chromecast,computer out in the garage,streaming netflix in the Rv in the driveway :mrgreen:
A lot of times I sit out in the shed,with a laptop and,
Hang out on the Bogleheads site :wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm
Wired connection always works much better than wireless. So, before we try wireless mesh and so on, use Airport Extreme on wired connection should be your first choice.
I have no doubt that wired is better than wireless; that's why I installed home runs during my previous renovation at my existing home.

Do mesh nodes only communicate via wireless (i.e., you'd have one node connected to Ethernet and the others talk to each other wirelessly)? I had hoped that you'd connect however many mesh nodes to Ethernet as possible, and sprinkle a few others around the house to improve performance. From what little I understand about mesh, they are supposed to configure themselves.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm

You plug em in,configure with the app on the phone :happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7PPYNs5Xao

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Toons wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Toons, I'm trying to avoid using them as "range extenders," with the resulting speed degradation. Your house is 1500 SF; I don't know precisely what my new one is, but it's at least 5000SF, with a lot of fieldstone walls. I don't think that range extenders will do it.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

kfisher

Post by kfisher » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Satisfied with Linksys Velop. It may be more costly then other brands, but it's working for me and I no longer had wifi dead zones in the house.
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-band ... B01N2NLNEH

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:24 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm
Wired connection always works much better than wireless. So, before we try wireless mesh and so on, use Airport Extreme on wired connection should be your first choice.
I have no doubt that wired is better than wireless; that's why I installed home runs during my previous renovation at my existing home.

Do mesh nodes only communicate via wireless (i.e., you'd have one node connected to Ethernet and the others talk to each other wirelessly)? I had hoped that you'd connect however many mesh nodes to Ethernet as possible, and sprinkle a few others around the house to improve performance. From what little I understand about mesh, they are supposed to configure themselves.
Been a while since I looked but at least some of the mesh systems can use a wired connection for the back haul. If I recall correctly Google mesh can do that. If you already have some wired outlets that would be a good way to go.
If I am stupid I will pay.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Net gear Orbi will let you use Ethernet as a backhaul. I tried it out for a month other using some Apple airports with no difference, but my place is waaaay smaller (1600sqft).

Blue man

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm
Net gear Orbi will let you use Ethernet as a backhaul. I tried it out for a month other using some Apple airports with no difference, but my place is waaaay smaller (1600sqft).

Blue man
I'm leaning to the eero 2nd generation (not Beacons), which also can use Ethernet as a backhaul. They are pricey, but have some features I'm interested in.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

aude

Post by aude » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:48 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:38 pm
Toons wrote:
Toons, I'm trying to avoid using them as "range extenders," with the resulting speed degradation. Your house is 1500 SF; I don't know precisely what my new one is, but it's at least 5000SF, with a lot of fieldstone walls. I don't think that range extenders will do it.
Netgear Velop can support wireless backhaul on a dedicated frequency which helps with range extender losses. It also supported wired backhaul between nodes via Ethernet. Mine work great!

Boogieknight

Post by Boogieknight » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Not gonna read this thread because I put in Google Wifi last summer. And I love it. My house is 100 years old, 2400 square feet, with plaster walls and a masonry wall right down the middle. So I had to be a little bit clever locating three access points, but it works flawlessly even in the basement. The app is great too. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion. I did get some help setting it up, a tech friend from work.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:06 pm

I had a similar problem to yours. We have an addition on the far side of the garage. I set up my office over there. It's 120 feet from the router with two exterior insulated walls in between. Mesh didn't seem to be the best answer. I found one. There is a new power line adapter that works like Ethernet. The old ones didn't work well because they sent signal out to the street before returning to your house. This uses Linux and keeps the signal inside.In my situation it goes through two fuse boxes. I am getting 100mbs to my PC plugged into it. I also have a range extender plugged in for wifi. I've had this set up for about 8 months. The company is Extollo and they have a pretty detailed website. Before I bought them I had a good email discussion with one of their techs. Here's the Amazon link..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
5000SF is not that much bigger than 1550SF. Other things being equal it probably amounts to a 3 dB signal reduction at the far points. In the world of wireless that's not really that much. If a link is marginal it matters, but most of the time it doesn't. And on the plus side your neighbors WiFi transmitters are probably further away.

I'd try a single router properly located and see if the link is fast enough to do what I want where I want it before adding extra routers. If you're not uploading large files in the garage you may never notice you "only" have 1Mbit per second in the front right hand corner.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:16 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 pm
Among the mesh wifi products available today, I don't think you can do better than Netgear's Orbi. They also introduced outdoor satellite hardware, which might help you daisy-chain the network between your structures.
Will 2nd this recommendation, installed Orbi units at my home, my parents', and my inlaws' place

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Toons wrote:
TomatoTomahto,

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/W ... d-p/298939

<< According to the CWNA Official Study Guide, attenuation of building materials is as follows for 2.4 GHz:

Foundation wall | -15 dB
Brick, concrete, concrete blocks | -12 dB
Elevator or metal obstacle | -10 dB
Metal rack | -6 dB
Drywall or sheetrock | -3 dB
Nontinted glass windows | -3 dB
Wood door | -3 dB
Cubicle wall | -2 dB>>

KlangFool

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 pm

1 covers 1500 sq feet
A set of 3 covers 4500 sq feet or more
Get 4 or More :happy
I believe they will work fine.
If not,,Easy Amazon return
:wink:

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:10 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm
http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/W ... d-p/298939

<< According to the CWNA Official Study Guide, attenuation of building materials is as follows for 2.4 GHz:

Foundation wall | -15 dB
Brick, concrete, concrete blocks | -12 dB
Elevator or metal obstacle | -10 dB
Metal rack | -6 dB
Drywall or sheetrock | -3 dB
Nontinted glass windows | -3 dB
Wood door | -3 dB
Cubicle wall | -2 dB>>

KlangFool
Oh my, that’s frightening. Some of the interior fieldstone appears to be 2-3 feet thick, which has to be more than “typical building materials.” I had better find those Ethernet outlets for backhaul.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
5000SF is not that much bigger than 1550SF. Other things being equal it probably amounts to a 3 dB signal reduction at the far points. In the world of wireless that's not really that much. If a link is marginal it matters, but most of the time it doesn't. And on the plus side your neighbors WiFi transmitters are probably further away.

I'd try a single router properly located and see if the link is fast enough to do what I want where I want it before adding extra routers. If you're not uploading large files in the garage you may never notice you "only" have 1Mbit per second in the front right hand corner.
Epsilon Delta, you must have missed the part about interior fieldstone walls in this 3 story main building. 3db signal reduction? From your lips to the ears of the great electrician in the sky, but I’m convinced that one single router has zero chance, even in the ma8n build8ng, much less than to the two other structures.

ETA:I omitted to mention that the main house is 3 stories of space that requires WiFi. The garage: 2. The cabana: 1. I added this to the OP also.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:37 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Epsilon Delta, you must have missed the part about interior fieldstone walls in this 3 story main building. 3db signal reduction? From your lips to the ears of the great electrician in the sky, but I’m convinced that one single router has zero chance, even in the ma8n build8ng, much less than to the two other structures.

ETA:I omitted to mention that the main house is 3 stories of space that requires WiFi. The garage: 2. The cabana: 1. I added this to the OP also.
The signal doesn't have to go through the walls. It goes through the door, windows, etc. and diffracts, reflects etc. Predicting whether it will work is a very hard problem that is not worth solving. If it must work the first time the best solution is massive overkill. Otherwise a little empiricism works wonders. It may need additional devices but how many and where to put them is down to experiment. The simplest experiment is a single router, if that works, stop.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 pm

@Epsilon Delta, let me quote myself
Cost is less of a consideration than getting trouble-free performance; I'm old, cranky, and lazy, and I don't want to deal with debugging and figuring it out.

I thank you in advance for keeping it simple and, hopefully, finding a solution that I can just order on Amazon. Idiot-proof is a big plus; just ask my wife :oops:
Overkill, in my situation, beats empiricism :sharebeer

I’m obviously lazy, and perhaps I could have eventually made a single router work in my current home, but it was easier to just add a second AirPort Extreme. This new home has multiple 2-3 foot fieldstone interior walls. It doesn’t have to work the first time, but I’d like for it to work on the first day, without buying an additional unit, trying it, buying an additional unit, etc.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Hire a Networking firm in your area to set things up(Not the Geek Squad) :mrgreen:

Pursuitofquality

Post by Pursuitofquality » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

We have a 4000sf home and Netgear Orbi has worked well. Set it up in about 10 minutes.

jpohio

Post by jpohio » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Orbi. Have had it installed in my house for about a year. No issues, great coverage, easy to install

the journey

Post by the journey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

I have had eero for 2 years. Our house is 5000 sq feet and 4 eeros and 1 beacon have been great. Could probably get by with 3 eeros only. I also like the options when adding the eero plus subscription.
I can’t speak to the technical aspects but can say it has worked well for our 2 story brick house.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm

I got an orbi a couple of months ago. Has worked pretty flawlessly. Mine is just the main unit and satellite. For 3 different structures I'd probably get 2 satellites, so that you have one for each structure.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Just get a 3-pack Google wifi, or 3-pack Orbi, or even one of the other current-gen mesh network units.

Just using this setup alone has a 90% chance of covering all of your needs completely, the first time out.

In the small chance that it's not reaching where it is supposed to, just buy a 4th unit (all of these systems are incredibly easy to add units) and you will be good to go.

Mesh is really good - it's smart enough to pass signals around corners and from multiple units to each other to work around thick walls, and the best part is that the SSID (network name) is unified - no need to switch wifi networks when you roam around your property, which is typical for non-mesh setups. The signals can even be passed vertically so it can bounce over/below thick walls if you have mesh units on different floors.

I ditched all my powerline setups once I had the mesh network going with 3 Google wifis, which cover my property with signal end-to-end, even outdoors.

Seriously, I wouldn't even waste any more time or brainpower on any other solution at this point. Just spend the $300ish for the 3-pack, and try it. If it's still terrible, then you probably will need a network professional that's way beyond the scope of BH amateurs to configure it the way you want.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

lightheir wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 pm
Just get a 3-pack Google wifi, or 3-pack Orbi, or even one of the other current-gen mesh network units.

Just using this setup alone has a 90% chance of covering all of your needs completely, the first time out.
So, you’re suggesting one unit per building? The two other buildings are pretty far from the main house, and the signal would have to go through 2-3 foot thick fieldstone, so having all units in the main house is a non-starter, IMO.

I don’t see the 90% chance. I’m sorry, but I don’t think so.

I appreciate everyone’s time. I will go back to the house after closing and count the Ethernet outlets. I will either put an Eero at each available Ethernet outlet, or hire a networking company to configure it for me.

These are the kinds of interior walls I’m dealing with:
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Assuming you have AC wiring to both location you could try a powerline adapter solution.
I have used a TP-Link AV500 unit for the past few months to bridge the LAN from my house to an out building about 350 feet away. The facility already has AC run underground. This specific unit provided 2 bridged Ethernet(LAN) ports and an embedded WiFI AP.

In my situation I was to far away for WiFi and this solution allowed me to utilize the existing underground power feed instead of trenching in a wired network connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/det ... 20KIT.html

Just another option to consider if it works in your situation.
Good luck.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 pm

https://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview/

OP,

This free tool allows you to map the WiFi signal strength around your house.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/29 ... tml#slide1

Another link.

KlangFool

hand

Post by hand » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Is it possible that Mesh isn't the answer here? I've been hearing lots of good things about Ubiquity access points...

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm
lightheir wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 pm

So, you’re suggesting one unit per building? The two other buildings are pretty far from the main house, and the signal would have to go through 2-3 foot thick fieldstone, so having all units in the main house is a non-starter, IMO.

I don’t see the 90% chance. I’m sorry, but I don’t think so.

I appreciate everyone’s time. I will go back to the house after closing and count the Ethernet outlets. I will either put an Eero at each available Ethernet outlet, or hire a networking company to configure it for me.

These are the kinds of interior walls I’m dealing with:
Ahh - I didn't read carefully enough and see that you have three separate buildings to deal with, each far from the main house. That does make things trickier.

I still would recommend you try the Google/Orbi mesh setup first, at least for the main house. You can then experiment with placement of the hub points and see if it actually reaches your further houses (meaning you could just add hubs to get internet there.) And if it doesn't work, just return it to wherever you bought it from. This will take you only 1-2 hours of your time total (if you order online) to figure out if it's a viable option. I suspect 2-3 hubs placed strategically in the main house will get around those thick stone walls somehow, probably with vertical transmission.

If the structures aren't more than 30 feet apart each, odds are good the mesh will cover it all, esp with one hub placed high up in the main house.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am

I still would recommend you try the Google/Orbi mesh setup first, at least for the main house. You can then experiment with placement of the hub points and see if it actually reaches your further houses (meaning you could just add hubs to get internet there.)
Is there anything that would preclude using my old Airport Extreme's, one in the cabana and one in the garage, and using a mesh network in the main house? I know just enough about WiFi to be dangerous, and not a bit more. This might be the best option; a hybrid system reusing my Airport Extreme's, which will cover a fair bit outside the garage and cabana also.
Assuming you have AC wiring to both location you could try a powerline adapter solution.
The wiring is complicated, and I don't know if it is viable. The garage is powered by the solar farm, and "sells" quite a bit of AC to the utility. It has its own 200A panel. The main house has a separate 200A panel. The cabana has a third panel. The good news is that I have enough power to charge my Tesla . . . and all of the neighbors' :D .
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:04 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am

Is there anything that would preclude using my old Airport Extreme's, one in the cabana and one in the garage, and using a mesh network in the main house? I know just enough about WiFi to be dangerous, and not a bit more. This might be the best option; a hybrid system reusing my Airport Extreme's, which will cover a fair bit outside the garage and cabana also.
TomatoTomahto,

1) If you like Airport Extreme, just buy a few more and place them in the main house. Aka, one in each fieldstone enclosed area assuming that you have the Ethernet outlet. Then, you are done.

2) If you do not have the cabling, you probably need to run them anyhow. Given the pace of the technology, you need the cabling. In fact, you may run the Ethernet at 10 Gbps in not too distance future.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/31 ... ology.html

https://www.networkworld.com/article/31 ... r-use.html

KlangFool

nepats

Post by nepats » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

Look at Ubiquiti Networks and their UAP AC product lines. They work wired and wireless but wired is much better. They are Pro-Consumer devices that will require setup and configuration. However, they offer a lot in terms of functionality like VLANs, routing etc. PM me if you need more info.

wrl

Post by wrl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 am

I use Google Wife mesh for my house (and really like it) but it does not extend to my separate garage which is about 100 yards away.

For that I use a netgear product that sends internet over the power lines. I plug one of the units into the outlet in the house, the other in the garage and it connects. Crazy how it works, but it works well. In the garage, I plug a wireless router into the netgear device and have wifi in my garage.

elderwise

Post by elderwise » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 am

I dont have anything bad to say about Orbi, i actually bought an ORBI kit myself on BBY when on sale.

That being said, if you can get an Asus TM AC1900 flashed over to an Asus AC68U, and using AIMESH has been quite reliable last 3-4 months.Flashing is not a small task, though once achieved a $60 router can be converted to $160 worth of gear.Licensing agreements i tell you!

AIMESH is Asus version of Orbi Mesh, I believe its a true mesh and allows wired & wireless backhaul.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am

Ah the perennial quest for good wifi...

We have tried Luma which I do not recommend. We had a network of 6 Lumas, 3 of which failed within two years. Also had devices getting dropped off the network periodically.

Now we have a pair of Netgear Orbi's. For some reason one of our Roku devices keeps getting dropped. Great coverage. Web interface is ok, nothing great. Bed time setting doesn't work. Only parental controls you get is through OpenDNS.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:12 pm

UPDATE: We found out from the seller that the main house has Ethernet ports in most of the rooms, so we are ready to go. We appreciate his foresight.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm
blueman457 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Blue man
I'm leaning to the eero 2nd generation (not Beacons), which also can use Ethernet as a backhaul. They are pricey, but have some features I'm interested in.
I've been using eero gen1 since the crowdfunding campaign, with zero issues that I can recall over the 1-2 (?) years I have been using it. I have about ~2400 sqft over two levels, with bottom level being a "walk-out basement" with thick plaster walls, and it has worked pretty well. Have detached garage down by the alley and still get light coverage there. I do run a wire down from the main upstairs hub (Arris Surfboard 300mbps router) for my work laptop, but everything else in the house from roku tv to tablets to netflix run off the eero points. Zero issues with the hubs, connecting to the Arris router, or with my service provider (TWC spectrum). The app is very easy to use and pretty neat, and I don't even use the newer features or add-on stuff (security and other pay level features they are adding), just the basics. No idea how it compares to the Google competitor, but I would feel good choosing eero or recommending to a friend.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Cardinalsfan

Post by Cardinalsfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Installed Amplifi HD over a year ago and very happy with it. Can go wired or wireless with it

bnrtgb

Post by bnrtgb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

We have a setup similar to lightheir (Google OnHub 2 yrs ago + 3 google wifi 3 months ago). We got fiber to the home about a year ago and got great speeds to the home office by the On-hub. However, speeds really dropped off throughout the house so we went with the three additional wifi points and get 200+ mbps wifi speeds even from the furtherest point thorugh 5 walls and a flight of stairs.

For comparisons of electronics & other devices, I now usually check Wirecutter.com first to get a sense of what's available, what features are offered, etc. : https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

They're pretty reliable and put many devices through a number of tests. For mesh wifi, wirecutter recommend's Orbi & eero. However, I liked the simplicity of Google Wifi and, given we already had the OnHub, it made more sense for us.

I've never used them, but Ubiquiti's Unifi solution also might work for you: https://www.ubnt.com/

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am

Update

True to his word, seller had abundant Ethernet (Cat V) points throughout the house. Verizon upgraded service to 940 Mbps for no increase in cost.

I put 3 Apple Airport Extremes WAPs in the house, 1 in the garage, and 1 later in the cabana (although it gets pretty good signal without it, sometimes more is more). According to fast.com, the slowest WiFi performance in the house is 70 Mbps, the fastest 400 Mbps. Netflix should be smooth 😊

I was surprised how much speed was affected by replacing 10/100 switches with Gigabit switches. Night and day, and I encourage anyone reading this thread to do so. Inexpensive upgrade.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.