Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am

I will sometimes travel during the warm weather months but they are road trips less than 8 hours a way. The trips do cost money but are not all that expensive.

It's been a cold winter and I am tired of the winter. I have some vacation days that I need to use up so I thought about getting out of here and going someplace warm.

I have never flown anywhere in the winter and I am well into my 30s. I have thought about taking my first winter trip to a warm weather destination next month. Looking at the costs (flight, hotel, rental, meals, other fees) for a 4-5 day trip to either Florida or Arizona, I'm looking at $1500 which to me is a good chunk of change. The main draw is to see some baseball, however, I ask myself if it is worth spending that much to go to a baseball game that I can catch for a fraction of the cost during warmer weather months. As I am tired of the winter weather, it would be nice to have a few days of warm weather, but that's all it would be, a few days.

Not too many in my social circle travel all that often (either lack of funds, lack of interest, or lack of vacation time, etc) so I've never really been encouraged to travel. I have noticed there are lots of people my age range and younger that travel all over and it seems pretty common these days.

What's the bogleheads take on this?
Last edited by tony5412 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 1461
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by sperry8 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 am

You may want to consider signing up for some airline or hotel credit cards so you can earn miles and get those costs down significantly.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 3562
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

Depends on one's resources.
I have one close friend who has homes in Florida, Northern Arizona, Scottsdale, etc. He and his wife travel to each depending on climate. Also throwing in time in Cancun and elsewhere. They have substantial funds in retirement.
Other friends have homes in cold climates and condos or townhouses in Hawaii. They are year round snowbirds.

Try it once. See how it goes.
J :D

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 6302
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am

This depends on your circumstances (aka kids or lack of kids).

When my wife and I were first married, we went to an island every year. Hawaii, St Martin, St Thomas, Aruba. Then came kids and while more seats so more expensive for the airfare, we still went to Aruba where my parents owned lots of weeks at a great time share.

Then the kids started school. Here's where reality hit us on the head. Airfare during kids vacation weeks jumps to go anywhere. Florida, Arizona, Aruba, any island, Cleveland, Newark. From 2 to 5 times as expensive. This resulted in us doing some anti-warm trips up to New Hampshire to snowmobile for a week and then day trips. Someday, when the kids are finally out of the house, we'll be able to travel to the islands again.

Just to add....if you have airline miles with the airline itself (for us, American), they're of no use during vacation weeks. I used to have nearly unlimited airline miles from travelling for business using my own card. What happens is that the airline will indeed open a way for me to go to Aruba from Boston. Here's the kind of route they give me. Boston to Chicago to Toronto to Miami to Aruba with a 6am start, an overnight stay and arriving at 11pm. I would instead buy coach with money and upgrade to business class to get a direct flight.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

btenny
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by btenny » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Go for it. Take some mental health days off. Go lay out by the pool and enjoy the sun. See some baseball. Play some golf. Go out to a club or two. Enjoy life. Go with some friends if you can. Take some pictures. Buy some souvenirs. Make some memories. You are only young once and then it is gone. Yes it will cost you some $$ but think of all the fun times. :sharebeer :sharebeer

Good Luck.

Pacman
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Pacman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm

I think spring training baseball in AZ is overrated and overpriced. I do like the gulf coast beaches in Florida, however. As Sperry mentioned above, get into the Credit Card rewards game. One other thing I do to save money on these trips is just to drive straight through to the location from the Midwest. The drive there can be tiring by the end, but at least you get to recharge on the beach with a pina colada :-).

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4209
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm

We live in Minnesota. I think the answer is yes. :happy We really need a break about this time of year.

jlcnuke
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by jlcnuke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm a big fan of traveling, I'm a bit fan of being warm, and I really dislike being cold. As such, I try to travel to somewhere every winter. I was in the Bahamas in December and in Playa Del Carmen last month. My retirement plans include sailing and diving the Caribbean in the winter/spring (at least).

A week relaxing, swimming, and diving at white sandy beaches is a great vacation for me and well worth the cost (my 6 days in PDC cost $1,412 for roundtrip airfare, transport to/from the resort, and the stay at an all-inclusive resort).

So, imo, it's well worth it as getting away like that can ease away months of stress from work/everyday life.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am
Depends on one's resources.
I have one close friend who has homes in Florida, Northern Arizona, Scottsdale, etc. He and his wife travel to each depending on climate. Also throwing in time in Cancun and elsewhere. They have substantial funds in retirement.
Other friends have homes in cold climates and condos or townhouses in Hawaii. They are year round snowbirds.

Try it once. See how it goes.
J :D
Your friend is living the dream! What did he do for a living?

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am
This depends on your circumstances (aka kids or lack of kids).

When my wife and I were first married, we went to an island every year. Hawaii, St Martin, St Thomas, Aruba. Then came kids and while more seats so more expensive for the airfare, we still went to Aruba where my parents owned lots of weeks at a great time share.

Then the kids started school. Here's where reality hit us on the head. Airfare during kids vacation weeks jumps to go anywhere. Florida, Arizona, Aruba, any island, Cleveland, Newark. From 2 to 5 times as expensive. This resulted in us doing some anti-warm trips up to New Hampshire to snowmobile for a week and then day trips. Someday, when the kids are finally out of the house, we'll be able to travel to the islands again.

Just to add....if you have airline miles with the airline itself (for us, American), they're of no use during vacation weeks. I used to have nearly unlimited airline miles from travelling for business using my own card. What happens is that the airline will indeed open a way for me to go to Aruba from Boston. Here's the kind of route they give me. Boston to Chicago to Toronto to Miami to Aruba with a 6am start, an overnight stay and arriving at 11pm. I would instead buy coach with money and upgrade to business class to get a direct flight.
No kids

Wow....that sounds like a hassle! I have traveled by air for business and one thing that turned me off were the hassles at the airports. The last time I flew, the flight was delayed overnight and they lost my luggage.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 pm

It was certainly worth it for ME. But I'm not you. I don't know what your finances are like.

Personally I would pay good money to avoid a baseball game. Be aware that certain costs tend to go up in AZ around spring training.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm
I think spring training baseball in AZ is overrated and overpriced. I do like the gulf coast beaches in Florida, however. As Sperry mentioned above, get into the Credit Card rewards game. One other thing I do to save money on these trips is just to drive straight through to the location from the Midwest. The drive there can be tiring by the end, but at least you get to recharge on the beach with a pina colada :-).
Do they rake you like they do at regular season games? ($6 hot dogs, $10 beers, etc) The ticket prices don't look all that unreasonable.

I think I would prefer driving but difficult to do when you have only 5 days.

michaeljc70
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Personally, living in a place that gets very cold in the winter, I view it as a waste traveling to warm weather (beachy) places when it is warm where I live. There are exceptions if it more of a cultural/site seeing trip. But when it comes to beach/pool kind of vacations, I go to escape the cold. When people go to Mexico or Florida in June I find it odd.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 12498
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Watty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm

You would have likely found a lot better deals if you had booked something a few months ago. Many of the best deals are booked by people that make reservations up to a year in advance so many of the nicer or more affordable hotels are fully booked now.

You may also be trying to find something during spring break peak, if possible check the prices a few weeks earlier or later.

For rental cars a 7 day rental is often a lot less expensive than a five day rental so see if you can stretch your trip out a few days.

Florida in the winter does tend to be expensive and even though I can drive to Florida I have found that I can usually find a less expensive trip flying to the Riviera Maya section of Mexico that is south Cancun (Not the all inclusive places) It would be warm and there would be beaches but no baseball.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm

jlcnuke wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm
So, imo, it's well worth it as getting away like that can ease away months of stress from work/everyday life.
That is the goal!

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm
You would have likely found a lot better deals if you had booked something a few months ago. Many of the best deals are booked by people that make reservations up to a year in advance so many of the nicer or more affordable hotels are fully booked now.
So it is true that airfare goes up the closer you get to the departure date?

This is sort of a last minute thing as I had just a few vacation days left and wanted to make sure that I did not need them for snow days or the like (vacation and sick days are all lumped in together)

Pacman
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Pacman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 pm

tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:26 pm
Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm
I think spring training baseball in AZ is overrated and overpriced. I do like the gulf coast beaches in Florida, however. As Sperry mentioned above, get into the Credit Card rewards game. One other thing I do to save money on these trips is just to drive straight through to the location from the Midwest. The drive there can be tiring by the end, but at least you get to recharge on the beach with a pina colada :-).
Do they rake you like they do at regular season games? ($6 hot dogs, $10 beers, etc) The ticket prices don't look all that unreasonable.

I think I would prefer driving but difficult to do when you have only 5 days.
I went to a Cubs spring training game not too long ago. Tickets were not cheap (due to the world series win), expect to be charged for parking, drinks/food expensive, and the seats directly in the sun were miserable. If you're in the shade, its more enjoyable. One other thing, flights/hotels/rental cars - everything is more expensive in AZ during spring training. I'm personally not into "go go entertainment" that attract crowds, so I try to avoid these things like the plague!

hightower
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by hightower » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 pm

In my opinion it's totally worth it. I wouldn't do it if it's going to break your bank account though.
My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel a lot over the last 5 or 6 years. For at least the last 3 years, including next month, we've gone to Hawaii in February. I can't tell you how amazing it is to step off the plane in Honolulu and get that first whiff of warm, tropical, Hawaiian air when you just came from the freezing cold midwest. It absolutely instantly cures even the worst case of the winter blues. Then to go swimming in the ocean on that first day just tops the cake. 4-5 days somewhere like southern florida, california, or similar would definitely be nice if you're starting to hate the winter.
I agree with the suggestion to look for good deals through credit card rewards programs. A lot of the big ones offer generous sign up bonuses Delta American express offers $200 statement credit and 20000 bonus miles (enough for another 200 off a flight). Chase Sapphire Reserve offers 50,000 bonus miles last I checked which is enough for $500, plus you can get reimbursed for some travel expenses (up to $300). Also, many airlines such as Hawaiian airlines offer really good rates from certain cities this time of year. We're flying from SFO to Maui for like 290 each round trip. We used skymiles from Delta American express to fly to SFO from the midwest for free. Also, staying in airbnb's can save a ton too. So, if you're willing to be flexible in your travel days and look hard for good deals, it can be done relatively cheaply.

hightower
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by hightower » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Watty wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm
You would have likely found a lot better deals if you had booked something a few months ago. Many of the best deals are booked by people that make reservations up to a year in advance so many of the nicer or more affordable hotels are fully booked now.
So it is true that airfare goes up the closer you get to the departure date?

This is sort of a last minute thing as I had just a few vacation days left and wanted to make sure that I did not need them for snow days or the like (vacation and sick days are all lumped in together)
The best deals are usually seen about 3 weeks from departure for domestic flights and about 2-3 months from departure for international.

hightower
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:28 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by hightower » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

Other friends have homes in cold climates and condos or townhouses in Hawaii. They are year round snowbirds.
That is my dream

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 pm
I went to a Cubs spring training game not too long ago. Tickets were not cheap (due to the world series win), expect to be charged for parking, drinks/food expensive, and the seats directly in the sun were miserable. If you're in the shade, its more enjoyable. One other thing, flights/hotels/rental cars - everything is more expensive in AZ during spring training. I'm personally not into "go go entertainment" that attract crowds, so I try to avoid these things like the plague!
Thanks for the honest assessment. I did not consider parking. I usually try to avoid that sort of thing as well but do like going to MLB games in the summer.

quantAndHold
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm

It depends on your situation, your likes and dislikes, and what you want to do with your money. When we lived in Seattle, we went somewhere sunny every winter, to get a week's break from the relentless drizzle. Most everyone we knew did the same thing. Now that we're in Southern California, meh. If we want to go somewhere, we go, but it isn't about getting away from winter.

You could try it once, and decide whether you like it or not for yourself.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 pm

hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 pm
In my opinion it's totally worth it. I wouldn't do it if it's going to break your bank account though.
My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel a lot over the last 5 or 6 years. For at least the last 3 years, including next month, we've gone to Hawaii in February. I can't tell you how amazing it is to step off the plane in Honolulu and get that first whiff of warm, tropical, Hawaiian air when you just came from the freezing cold midwest. It absolutely instantly cures even the worst case of the winter blues. Then to go swimming in the ocean on that first day just tops the cake. 4-5 days somewhere like southern florida, california, or similar would definitely be nice if you're starting to hate the winter.
Hawaii would be the perfect place to live weather-wise, just about 80 degrees year round!
hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 pm
I agree with the suggestion to look for good deals through credit card rewards programs. A lot of the big ones offer generous sign up bonuses Delta American express offers $200 statement credit and 20000 bonus miles (enough for another 200 off a flight). Chase Sapphire Reserve offers 50,000 bonus miles last I checked which is enough for $500, plus you can get reimbursed for some travel expenses (up to $300). Also, many airlines such as Hawaiian airlines offer really good rates from certain cities this time of year. We're flying from SFO to Maui for like 290 each round trip. We used skymiles from Delta American express to fly to SFO from the midwest for free. Also, staying in airbnb's can save a ton too. So, if you're willing to be flexible in your travel days and look hard for good deals, it can be done relatively cheaply.
Thanks for the ideas. I only have one credit card but may have to look into. I have a AAA membership so that could help with hotels. The airfare seems to be the biggest expense.

srt7
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by srt7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm

If there was ever a winter worth giving it a shot at this ... it is the current one. Plus as someone in their 30s w/o kids, now is your time to travel.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 12498
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Watty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:08 pm

tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Watty wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm
You would have likely found a lot better deals if you had booked something a few months ago. Many of the best deals are booked by people that make reservations up to a year in advance so many of the nicer or more affordable hotels are fully booked now.
So it is true that airfare goes up the closer you get to the departure date?

This is sort of a last minute thing as I had just a few vacation days left and wanted to make sure that I did not need them for snow days or the like (vacation and sick days are all lumped in together)
It depends on how close you are getting. Within about two weeks it usually gets higher since that is often business travelers that will pay a lot.

I am just speculating but a lot of the Caribbean islands got hit really hard by hurricanes this year so I suspect that Florida is busier than usual this year.

arsenalfan
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Spring Training is magical. Cheap tickets usually, great fan base of diehards, fun parks and atmosphere.

Don't confuse the BH investment philosophy with the Mr Money Mustache take of frugality. While the 2 overlap, I'd say most BHers would say, if you're saving enough for retirement/goals in a prudent investment savings plan with appropriate assset allocation, and have a responsible budget, then anything left over is for fun!

Katietsu
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Katietsu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:25 pm

Priceline for the hotels. Do you have any flexibility with the dates? Airline prices are vastly different depending on the day of the week. Are you flexible with location? Maybe something besides AZ spring training. Is there more than one airport you can get to at the home end? Sometimes going a couple extra hours to the airport can make a huge difference. I could plan a trip for a single person to warmth weather for 5 days/4 nights for a lot less than $1500.

TravelGeek
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

I wouldn’t travel for baseball...but sun? Heck yeah! Next week :beer

User avatar
Hayden
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Hayden » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm

We live in a cold LCOL area and travel every winter. We go someplace different every winter, but that could change if we find one place that's "perfect". I think this approach costs less than many HCOL areas that have nice weather year round.

heyyou
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by heyyou » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Buy a highway atlas and just drive south until the weather is warmer. 60 degrees in the daytime with 40 at night will feel good to most snowbirds.

Fly to Las Vegas then drive for a half day to the scenic national parks but watch the elevation to stay away from the snowy, high country. Near the Colorado River between Az and Ca, the weather is warm.

Next year, consider B level destinations, fly to wherever the flights are cheapest on Southwest Airline (Texas or Phoenix) or some other airline (Delta to Atlanta), then rent a car and drive to somewhere away from the best known destinations. Fly to Houston to drive on the Texas coast.

Fly to Phoenix then drive to Tucson, 100 miles from the Phoenix airport at 75 mph on the interstate. Southern Arizona away from Tucson is very different than the Midwest and East, but watch your elevation to stay in the warmer parts.

We fly direct to the Kona airport on the Big Island which is named Hawaii, then drive to Hilo or Captain Cook (CC) to dodge the more touristy and more expensive Kileau-Kona area. At the Manago Hotel in CC, the three story block of simple almost modern rooms, are behind the hundred year old front office. In Hilo, we stay at Arnott's Lodge in the deluxe air-conditioned rooms with a private 3/4 bath, in the building that is across the street from the hostel that was the start of Mr. Arnott's business. Avoid the hot, air-conditioned rooms that are adjacent to the hostel, there is no insulation in the roof or walls.

Exterous
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by Exterous » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:32 pm

It does seem like easy to get to warm spots are noticeably more expensive these days. I blame a good economy but not the worst problem to have. Its worth it for us although we're looking at going to less popular spots due to the increased costs
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am
Just to add....if you have airline miles with the airline itself (for us, American), they're of no use during vacation weeks.
That varies by airline and certainly isnt true for all of them. Delta and AA are the worst offenders but I've had good luck with United. The largest domestic carrier, Southwest, imposes no black out dates so if there is a seat for sale you can use miles. (Want to get away fares may go quickly though)

lionthens
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by lionthens » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm

tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am
I have never flown anywhere in the winter and I am well into my 30s. The main draw is to see some baseball, however, I ask myself if it is worth spending that much to go to a baseball game that I can catch for a fraction of the cost during warmer weather months.
How warm of weather are you looking for? I've taken two trips to warm(er) weather destinations during New England winters and would recommend it. Having visited Arizona during December I can say that despite temperatures in the 30s to low 50s the constant sunshine was just what I needed to recharge after months of mostly overcast skies. Tampa and Sarasota are very pleasant during this time of the year. I'd imagine other Florida baseball cities like Fort Myers and Orlando are just as nice, weather-wise.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 am

srt7 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm
If there was ever a winter worth giving it a shot at this ... it is the current one.
True..

It has been a rough one, although not quite as bad as the winters 3-4 years ago.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:25 pm
Priceline for the hotels. Do you have any flexibility with the dates? Airline prices are vastly different depending on the day of the week. Are you flexible with location? Maybe something besides AZ spring training. Is there more than one airport you can get to at the home end? Sometimes going a couple extra hours to the airport can make a huge difference. I could plan a trip for a single person to warmth weather for 5 days/4 nights for a lot less than $1500.
No flexibility

Possibly flexible with location. Thanks for the suggestions

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 am

heyyou wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Buy a highway atlas and just drive south until the weather is warmer. 60 degrees in the daytime with 40 at night will feel good to most snowbirds.

Fly to Las Vegas then drive for a half day to the scenic national parks but watch the elevation to stay away from the snowy, high country. Near the Colorado River between Az and Ca, the weather is warm.

Next year, consider B level destinations, fly to wherever the flights are cheapest on Southwest Airline (Texas or Phoenix) or some other airline (Delta to Atlanta), then rent a car and drive to somewhere away from the best known destinations. Fly to Houston to drive on the Texas coast.

Fly to Phoenix then drive to Tucson, 100 miles from the Phoenix airport at 75 mph on the interstate. Southern Arizona away from Tucson is very different than the Midwest and East, but watch your elevation to stay in the warmer parts.
Thanks for the ideas! I like the first suggestion to avoid the airport hassles. I have never been to Vegas as I am not much of a gambler...but it does seem like there are things to do in the surrounding area.

tony5412
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by tony5412 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 am

lionthens wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm
tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am
I have never flown anywhere in the winter and I am well into my 30s. The main draw is to see some baseball, however, I ask myself if it is worth spending that much to go to a baseball game that I can catch for a fraction of the cost during warmer weather months.
How warm of weather are you looking for? I've taken two trips to warm(er) weather destinations during New England winters and would recommend it. Having visited Arizona during December I can say that despite temperatures in the 30s to low 50s the constant sunshine was just what I needed to recharge after months of mostly overcast skies. Tampa and Sarasota are very pleasant during this time of the year. I'd imagine other Florida baseball cities like Fort Myers and Orlando are just as nice, weather-wise.
Ideally 75-80 but there is some wiggle room.

AlohaJoe
Posts: 2828
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 am

I think it is worth the money to live somewhere with warm weather.

After years of living in Pittsburgh, Boston, and Colorado .... I took a 30% salary cut to live in Sydney, Australia, and now Saigon, Vietnam.

So count me in as another vote for yes. Though $1,500 for four or five days seems pretty steep.

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by 6miths » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 am

It sure is for me. Just came back from Malawi. Especially sweet since it was on someone else's dime. Breaks up the winter nicely.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

theplayer11
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:04 am

New Englander here...we did the Fl Disney, Keys trips 3 years in a row when kids were young. I can't say I will ever return to FL, sitting on a beach not my thing and can't stand the flatness.
I'm self employed and can only get away in the Winter, but temperature of my destination is not a huge factor when I do travel. Case in point, we are leaving for Germany later today..I will gladly take temps in the 40's.
But if you really don't like the cold, or are sick of it..then take a break somewhere warm.

heyyou
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by heyyou » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am

For motivation about a car trip, read "Blue Highways."
From Wikipedia:
Blue Highways is an autobiographical travel book, published in 1982, by William Least Heat-Moon, born William Trogdon.
In 1978, after separating from his wife and losing his job as a teacher, Heat-Moon, 38 at the time, took an extended road trip in a circular route around the United States, sticking to only the "Blue Highways". He had coined the term to refer to small, forgotten, out-of-the-way roads connecting rural America (which were drawn in blue on the old style Rand McNally road atlas).

He outfitted his van with a bunk, a camping stove, a portable toilet and a copy of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass...

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am

For me, traveling to someplace warmer during the winter months is only worth it if whatever your plans are once you get there are worth it. In other words, it isn't worth it just for some sunshine and warmth. But if you really enjoy baseball and want to see a specific team play in someplace warm, then it might very well be worth it.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 10717
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by HomerJ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am

We're headed out on a cruise ship with all three of our kids next week to give us a week away from the winter cold.

But we've got the extra money for this.

If $1500 is a decent chunk of your annual savings, it may not be wise.

Would you travel with a friend? You could look into all-inclusive resorts and cruise ships as well.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 10717
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by HomerJ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

hightower wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

Other friends have homes in cold climates and condos or townhouses in Hawaii. They are year round snowbirds.
That is my dream
That's our plan. 6 months in AZ in the winter, 6 months on a lake in the Midwest in the summer.

Two smaller houses instead of one big house.

FootballFan5548
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by FootballFan5548 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 am

I live in NJ. Winter's stink and I love the beach, so I was in Delray, FL for 3 nights last week for work with some clients.

Next week, I'm bringing the family back down to Jupiter, FL for 4 nights of sun, beach, pool, outdoor happy hour, etc. We have 2 young kids and this will be the first time flying with both of them.

Round trip flights, mid-week, aren't too bad. I think we got them for $250-$275 per... definitely go and recharge in some warm weather if you can swing it.

Lastly, in terms of hotel... if you're there to enjoy the weather anyway, there's no reason to overpay for a fancy hotel. All you need is a bed and a pool, so pick something moderate and enjoy the time outdoors.

goodlifer
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by goodlifer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

We have been to AZ for spring break. We are leaving again to visit family there next month. Once you get out of the Midwest for a winter break, you are going to want to do it every year. I didn't really care for FL since the warmest it got was in the 50's each time we went. AZ was great. It was hot in Phoenix and we got 3 inches of snow in Flagstaff. The Grand Canyon was very cold and windy. Not only is it very crowded in the Phoenix/Mesa area during spring break, but the hotels and car rentals are very expensive. Our car rentals are usually around $600 for a week, but all of us can't fit in their tiniest cars so you might pay a lot less. The Super 8 we stayed at was $200 per night. On the plus side, we volunteered to get bumped off of our flight last time, so we are only paying $100 each for airfare this time. We plan on doing it again if possible, and chances are good since it is usually so crowded.

You could look into to a cruise to Cozumel, Nassau, or even Cuba. They were pretty cheap when I checked prices on the Costco travel website. It might be cheaper for you to buy a Costco membership just to book the car rental and/or cruise package if you go that way.

randomguy
Posts: 5340
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by randomguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

tony5412 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 am

What's the bogleheads take on this?
All luxury spending is personal. Some people would rather go to utah and go skiing than go some place warm. Some people don't like travel and would rather buy a bigger tv. Others save the money and retire 5 years early. You need to decide what you want to do.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by praxis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am

I was pricing a Na Pali boat tour yesterday for our June Hawaii trip and the price was higher for the summer months because it was during their "high season". I would think Hawaii's high season was the winter months.

oxothuk
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by oxothuk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

praxis wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am
I was pricing a Na Pali boat tour yesterday for our June Hawaii trip and the price was higher for the summer months because it was during their "high season". I would think Hawaii's high season was the winter months.
Summer is high season for Na Pali boat tours because the seas are calmer. They don’t run at all in the winter months.

mrgeeze
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:09 am

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by mrgeeze » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Personally I think anytime the weather gets too cold for t-shirt and shorts, its just too cold.
For a variety of reasons, I've been stuck in coastal Carolina all winter.

But I'm about to bust loose and head south!!!

runner3081
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Do you think it is worth the money to travel to warm weather destinations during the winter?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm
I think spring training baseball in AZ is overrated and overpriced.
Absolutely overpriced. When we moved her 5-years ago I was pumped about being 10 minutes from the nearest stadium.

Fast forward to now and I have been to two games, that is it.

The ticket prices aren't much better than cheap seats in the regular season, why would I pay so much to watch some practice? Makes no sense.

Of course, people love it. I have a good friend who ends up at 20 games each spring.

Post Reply