Home printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mxs

Home printer

Post by mxs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm

I stopped at Walmart tonight to look for ink cartridges for our HP deskjet 5150. It uses a 56 Black and 57 tri-color cartridge. I almost threw up when I saw the prices. $34 and $57 each respectively. I turned around and saw a newer version printer, the HP deskjet 3752 for $69 with ink included. It uses the 65 cartridge which is advertised as low cost and is $14 for black, $15 for color, or $27 sold as a set. I understand laser printers can be even cheaper after a larger up front cost, but I think for my infrequent use the deskjet may be a good option. Any thoughts on this pricing or newer printers and cartridges? Do they put gold in the 56/57?!

Edit: Looks like the 56/57 is good for ~500 pages, 65 is good for ~100/120 pages. I don't know if that is accurate, but it seems weird to pay so much for ink.

Traveller

Re: Home printer

Post by Traveller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm

If you can live without color, I'd strongly suggest a laser printer. Not only are they far cheaper to operate, but the toner doesn't go bad over time. You said "I think for my infrequent use the deskjet may be a good option". I became so frustrated with the short life of my ink cartridges despite infrequent use. I became convinced that ink cartridges tend to dry out / gunk up on the print head when not in use. Plus the cost was on the moon for the HP ink.

I replaced my inkjet with a Brother laser and couldn't be happier. Print quality is great, the toner cartridges last for ages, and when they do need to be replaced, they are very cheap. High yield toner cartridges are good for 2500+ pages...

Post by 2015 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Traveller wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 pm
If you can live without color, I'd strongly suggest a laser printer. Not only are they far cheaper to operate, but the toner doesn't go bad over time. You said "I think for my infrequent use the deskjet may be a good option". I became so frustrated with the short life of my ink cartridges despite infrequent use. I became convinced that ink cartridges tend to dry out / gunk up on the print head when not in use. Plus the cost was on the moon for the HP ink.

I replaced my inkjet with a Brother laser and couldn't be happier. Print quality is great, the toner cartridges last for ages, and when they do need to be replaced, they are very cheap. High yield toner cartridges are good for 2500+ pages...
This.
My cheap Walmart printer lasted a year before junking it for a Brother laser based on recommendations in threads here. I too couldn't be happier.

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm

I bought the Brother Color Laser 3180 CDW I think it was about $250 - $270 it has color (I guess I said that) but the inkjet printers I had were useless after infrequent use the cartridges got clogged and were useless. I decided to buy the color laser after looking around. As the prior poster has suggested a black and white laser is a good option too but I just did not want to give up the color so had to spend a bit more. So far very satisfied and know the ink wont go bad so I feel like I wont be spending the $65 or so for new ink jet cartridges so over time I will be ahead.

patrick

Post by patrick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 pm

They charge that much because they can. You could try to find compatible ink not made by the printer manufacturer at a lower price.

Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 pm

The boss said it has to do color, and I would like it to be a small footprint like 18 by 15 inches or less. I'll look at these color laser options some more. For reference, I would guess that we print less than 200 pages a year.

Ineed$

Post by Ineed$ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 pm

No more costly ink for me, great prices online.

Topic Author
mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Ineed$ wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 pm
No more costly ink for me, great prices online.
I see the remanufactured options for 1/4 to 1/3 the price. Anyone have experience with these? How does the quality and longevity compare? Any suggested brand/seller?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

I continued to use a color inkjet printer for much longer than I should have. When I decided to move to a B&W laser as many recommend here my wife wanted to stay with color, but I pointed out that we can easily, quickly and cheaply upload to Costco or an online photo service for the things that require color. We've now had the laser for a year and have never needed anything in color (but have the option should it be required). The best part is that we're still on our original toner cartridge and it's the partial one that came with the printer. I should have changed years ago!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

retire57

Post by retire57 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm

I know this is not what you are asking, but I've given up on home printers. They malfunction, eventually break, and are costly to operate. Like you, my printing needs are small. I put docs on a thumb drive and walk them over to my local printer or library or UPS store. You might spend $20-$80 per year but it sure simplifies life. Plus less landfill.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm
The best part is that we're still on our original toner cartridge and it's the partial one that came with the printer. I should have changed years ago!
I have been going with a "toner empty" warning for 1-year now :)

Still prints fine, but I did just notice this morning some fading in areas. Might actually have to change it. Swap the knockoff toner in that cost $10 and I will be good for another 4+ years on my Canon.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Brother laser.
My MFC 8500(?) , + 18 yes old,. I finally had to junk. Computers no longer supported . Bought new brother laser, Model L2380DW (2016-17 , discontinue at office Depot) duplex, scan, copy, Bluetooth.
Last edited by itstoomuch on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 am

Brother laser B&W owner here as well. No issues with it and now about 7 years old. Have replaced the toner twice. I don't use it very much, < 1 page per day on average. I would never get an inkjet. I'm waiting for color LED printers to become cheap and compact before I consider replacing this one, assuming it doesn't conk off before then.
Last edited by anoop on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 am

Also frustrated that our last inkjet that was occasionally used simply clogged up and was unrepairable after only 1 year.

After shopping around picked up a Brother MFC-9340CDW, a color laser.

Not for photos but is fantastic for duplex printing, duplex scanning, and even inexpensive generic laser toner about one-third the OEM Brother toner) easily available.

I’ve been very impressed and pleased with mine.

Post by 123 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:18 am

We had a Brother black and white laser printer that lasted for 7 or 8 years and we replaced it with a similar simple Brother for something like $70 from Office Depot. Works great for us. We print under 1,000 pages a year. We get along fine with black and white. Since we've now got smart phones we seem to be using it less. Our biggest print job each year is around 100 Christmas letters and envelopes.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am

Agree with others. Go with a laserjet printer. With inkjets, whether you use it or not you have to continually replace ink and is very costly. For photos, we order through Costco.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 am

Drovor wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am
Agree with others. Go with a laserjet printer. With inkjets, whether you use it or not you have to continually replace ink and is very costly. For photos, we order through Costco.
+1 for laser printer and high yield, investment grade ( :D ) toner cartridge. I am still running an HP LJ 1300N from 2004 and am only on my third cartridge. If you need color (and not photo color), the HP ColorJet line should meet your needs.

-TheDDC
Refreshingly, a double barrel shotgun blast of truth... | Rules to wealth building: 100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to health care industrial complex

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 am

Dont buy expensive hardware and gadgets - every few years you need to upgrade as the software/OS support is withdrawn.

Your low usage doesnt warrant a laser printer. Just refill the cartridge with a syringe and ink(check amazon) - it will go for ages - ignore the printer warning.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 am

Abandoned inkjet printers a few years ago for all the reasons stated above. I have a Canon Imageclass D530 B&W
printer, copier, scanner. The low capacity starter cartridge alone lasted almost a year. I don't miss the color at all. I bet it lasts longer than all my gunked up inkjet printers combined.

alex11

Post by alex11 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:11 am

I too switched to a brother laser and I couldn't be happier. If you need the color, I would still stick with a brother inkjet, but when it's time to replace the ink, go to Ebay and buy the generic ink cartridges. I've seen these for under $1 per cartridge. Over time these generic cartridges will take their toll on the printer, but when the cost of Genuine Cartridges is more than the actual printer, it's a no-brainer.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 am

Traveller wrote:
I became so frustrated with the short life of my ink cartridges despite infrequent use. I became convinced that ink cartridges tend to dry out / gunk up on the print head when not in use.
Definitely. Household dust gets into the nozzle openings and clogs them up, usually requiring replacement well before the ink actually runs out. This happens faster if the printer isn't used very often, as there is no flow of ink to keep the nozzles flushed out, plus sitting around not being used allows the ink in the nozzle openings to dry out. If you have a high dust environment (cats or dogs in the house), it's ten times worse.

I've had a Brother HL-2280DW (all-in-one B&W laser printer and color scanner) for a couple years that has worked very well. I just replaced the toner cartridge this weekend, first time in over a year. (I don't print very much.) I'll probably never own another ink jet printer.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

sidr

Post by sidr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 am

Canon and Epson both make color inkjets that use very cheap bottles of ink that you squirt into large reservoirs on the printer. The per page cost is about the same as my Brother BW laser printer. (I have 2 printers.) I have the Canon megatank g3200, but Costco is running a sale on the Epson Ecotank, which is faster. If I were in the market now, I'd probably go for the Epson.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 am

Just wanted to thank the many contributors here for their recommendations.

Murphy's law dictated that as soon as I bought refills for my Canon inkjet that it would fail to print due to the dreaded B200 error code that indicates a blocked print head. After following the instructions and attempting to clear the print heads 5 times, I gave up. Of course I had to install the new cartridges first, even though all of the existing ones were half full in order to ensure there was sufficient ink. None of the cleaning methods worked after removing the print head from the printer.

I bought a Brother HL-L2395DW monochrome laser printer, plugged it in and started printing, saying goodbye to all the problems associated with inkjet printers. The printer was $109 new on Amazon.

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

alternative i didn't see mentioned: Costco refills ink cartridges (both color and B&W) for very cheap. My HP inkjet cartridges run $20-30 new. the refill is ~$7-8. just drop it off at the photo center, and go shopping. then come back 15-20 mins later and they are all filled up and ready to go.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 30, 2018 12:27 pm

I have had a Canon black and white Laser printer for six years and love it. When I need anything in color, I order it online delivered to my doorstep in a couple days. If I need something in color right away, I order it online and pick it up in an hour downtown.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed May 30, 2018 12:29 pm

for ink printers Ive been converting friends and fam to brother mfc series. They are very cheap (can go on sale for under $40) and best of all they have crazy cheap generic ink cartridge replacements you can buy online. yes ink clogging is a fact of life for ink printers in general but mitigated by doing intermittent test prints and ink head cleanings which you can schedule to run on automatic intervals. And worst case if a cartridge needs to be tossed prematurely, the generic ones cost less than $1/each so you are not missing much.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:38 pm

I have a Brother inkjet and buy non-EOM (sometimes they are EOM refilled) cartridges on Amazon and they are dirt cheap. I will say, the first few I bought didn't really work and I had issues. The manufacturers put chips in most of the cartridges to deter non-EOM and refilled cartridges. Now I found a brand that works very well.

Also, I don't know if this was mentioned but new printers often come with cartridges that are smaller than the replacements (they have less ink).
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

mxs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm
Edit: Looks like the 56/57 is good for ~500 pages, 65 is good for ~100/120 pages. I don't know if that is accurate, but it seems weird to pay so much for ink.
Yup, that's accurate. Many of the newer printers use cartridges are far smaller, less capacity and thus higher ink cost/page. Also, a dirty little secret. The inkjet or toner cartridges in most new printers are "starter" cartridges less than 1/2 full.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 pm

I see lots of recommendations for brother laser printers. That's what I'd do if I only needed black and white.

We wanted color though. I'm happy with the brother ink jet series printers that say inkvestment or something. They are high capacity ink cartridges designed to be cheap per page. Or you can get 3rd party ink, but that was hit or miss for me. So far I like the brother inkvestment series.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

sidr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 am
Canon and Epson both make color inkjets that use very cheap bottles of ink that you squirt into large reservoirs on the printer. The per page cost is about the same as my Brother BW laser printer. (I have 2 printers.) I have the Canon megatank g3200, but Costco is running a sale on the Epson Ecotank, which is faster. If I were in the market now, I'd probably go for the Epson.
But the printers themselves cost 3-4x what the exact same printer (mechanically) without the giant tanks do. So you have to go through a TON of ink before it becomes even remotely economical. And because they're still based on the same cheaply-built mechanism, if you don't use them constantly (at least 2-3 times per week), the printhead clogs and you have to throw them in the trash.
vested1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 am
Murphy's law dictated that as soon as I bought refills for my Canon inkjet that it would fail to print due to the dreaded B200 error code that indicates a blocked print head. After following the instructions and attempting to clear the print heads 5 times, I gave up. Of course I had to install the new cartridges first, even though all of the existing ones were half full in order to ensure there was sufficient ink. None of the cleaning methods worked after removing the print head from the printer.
Exactly my experience. My Epson WorkForcePro suffered a clogged print head at the 13-month mark (so just out of warranty), right after installing brand-new Epson cartridges. No amount of manual or automatic cleaning could bring it back. Going back and reading reviews made after I purchased it, found out that this happens to almost everyone.

Threw that POS in the trash and ordered a Dell 625cdw multifunction laser about 18 months ago. Couldn't be happier. Prints AND scans in duplex, still have well over half of the starter toner cartridges.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm
mxs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm
Yup, that's accurate. Many of the newer printers use cartridges are far smaller, less capacity and thus higher ink cost/page. Also, a dirty little secret. The inkjet or toner cartridges in most new printers are "starter" cartridges less than 1/2 full.
Yes. My Mother was buying new printers because she said it was cheaper than buying the cartridges until I pointed this out to her.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:17 pm

I had a Lexmark C543dn that performed awesomely for 10 years before it eventually gave up the ghost. (I think the power supply failed; I also think I could have repaired it if I had tried a little harder - power supply failure is a very common failure mode in electronic appliances, and that itself is very commonly caused by a failed electrolytic capacitor... which is often easy to find because it's the leaky or puffed up one). But, since our requirements for home printing had greatly reduced, I elected not to bother, and disposed of it.

It was a fast, duplex, color laser printer that could handle various kind of paper including card stock. Not cheap ($300 or so ten years ago) but performed well and reliably for a long time and the toner carts lasted a long time as well - I only replaced them each one every 2-3 years for $70 a pop. There is probably a more recent year model of the same printer. I have seen it or similar ones in many commercial/business locations so that probably speaks to its performance and reliability as well.

These days we have some multifunction printer that my wife's company provided for her home office, and they let us use it for occasional private use, so that meets our needs for now.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm

We went with a brother color inkjet. We still prefer to print in color. The cartridges were a lot less expensive. $10-$15. Print quality wasn't as good as HP or Epson but the low cost for ink was welcome. Like others said, we used online photo printing services for photos.

Our next printer will be an Epson ecotank.
https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expression ... B01122JHMG
It uses refillable ink cartridges. The printer costs double what a comparable one would cost but I'm hoping it'll last long enough to save on ink and give us quality color prints.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

DO NOT buy an inkjet printer unless you are printing things out every single day of your life. It will turn into a $200 pile of junk where your $50 ink cartridge runs dry after 2 uses and you're too frustrated with ink prices to keep buying more, only to have it dry out after 2 weeks, again.

One of my biggest consumer regrets was buying a nice wireless inkjet printer/scanner.

Buy a laser jet printer. The cheapest laser jet printer > the most expensive inkjet printer

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed May 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm
DO NOT buy an inkjet printer unless you are printing things out every single day of your life. It will turn into a $200 pile of junk where your $50 ink cartridge runs dry after 2 uses and you're too frustrated with ink prices to keep buying more, only to have it dry out after 2 weeks, again.

One of my biggest consumer regrets was buying a nice wireless inkjet printer/scanner.

Buy a laser jet printer. The cheapest laser jet printer > the most expensive inkjet printer
This may be your experience, but it is certainly not mine. I have owned three HP DeskJets and more recently two OfficeJets over the last 25 years and I have never had an inkjet cartridge prematurely dry out. Not only do I not use them daily, I may go weeks between printing.

In fact over two year period I spent a dozen 3-4 week periods out of the country. I always track page counts, because I use refilled cartridges and want to make sure I'm getting my monies worth. I run them dry long after the warnings to replace until the print starts to skip.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 pm

mmmodem wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:35 pm
Our next printer will be an Epson ecotank.
https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expression ... B01122JHMG
It uses refillable ink cartridges. The printer costs double what a comparable one would cost but I'm hoping it'll last long enough to save on ink and give us quality color prints.
It will not. The one you linked is long discontinued, but the direct replacement has 20% one-star reviews already. Here is a sampling:
Done with inkjet printers for good. Like many, I bought this in the hope that it would mitigate constantly ordering ink carts. Well, that it did. However, in less than a year, the print quality became unusable like all inkjets. They all get issues with the print head or nozzles, and no amount of cleaning or repair ever seems to resolve everything printing in magenta. I'm very disappointed.
The printer heads are totally clogged after just 7 months. I have done EVERYTHING to try and remedy the situation. My other Epson printer at my office is not an ecotank but it is also having the same issues. No mater how many times you try and clean the heads or nozzles through, it will still print out with streaks along everything to the point that it is unreadable text and worthless photos. I have heard that this is a big problem with all current Epson printers. All the sudden when trying to upgrade my Epson office printer it says "Downgraded - Not Upgradable" Which supposedly means that the printer "is dead" and can not be upgraded. Its 1 1/2 years old!!
Bought this printer back in October and have only used it no more than ten times to print some things here and there. Every time I print, the papers come out all spotty and missing lots of lines. Ive ran through the self clean several times and nothing has helped fix this problem. I know I am not out of ink because I have not used this printer more than 10 times. I checked the ink levels and they're all full. It's a shame that it just started doing this because this product sucks. It is terrible. No way I can return it now. It has been way past 30 days. Would not recommend.
The printing quality was mediocre, at best, but I would give it a rating of three stars. After two months of mild use, the printing quality is bad and it's printing as if it's lacking ink though the panel shows that ink cartridges should not be replaced yet. Waste of money
received this printer on 8-29-17 [ETA: exactly two months prior to this review] and it is already having problems. I've run the nozzle check and cleaned it. Still not working properly. Only prints black OK...not colors
That current model--the ET-2650 Ecotank, costs exactly $3 less than I paid for my multifunction color laser printer. And the reviews above are eerily reflective of my experience with a much higher-end Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4630. There is also a $900 Ecotank version. The reviews of the ET-2650 will get consistently worse over time, as more and more fail. My 4630 had 3% one-star reviews when I purchased it. Now it's almost half.
Last edited by lazydavid on Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Recent laser-printer convert here, as well. Couldn't be happier. The only thing we really "needed" our ink-jet for was photos...and over time, it became quite clear that using online services (like snapfish) not only produced better photo results, but was a fraction of the cost and a TINY fraction of the aggravation.

frequentflyer

Post by frequentflyer » Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 am

I’ve got a Canon ink well printer, it’s the G3400. We print a lot because my wife is a teacher, we’re only half way through the bottles that initially came with the printer after a year of use.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 am

I switched from an inkjet to a LaserJet back in 2010. It was great being able to print crisper looking pages more quickly and without having to get inkjet cartridge refills all the time (from Cartridge World which was pretty cheap). Even the starter HP toner cartridge lasted me 2 years and I print fairly often and print a lot of "busy" pages with grid lines. The second toner cartridge lasted 4 years and the third one is still printing okay - I got that one (a refilled one) from Cartridge World at half the cost.

My ladyfriend bought an all-in-one inkjet device back in 2007. She didn't print often, so the inkjet cartridge was drying up a lot and needed to be replaced. Sometimes, the guy at Cartridge World would bring it back to life at no charge. The color cartridge was costlier to replace and not usually refillable (she decided to go without a new one as long as she could still print B&W). After 11 years of putting up with that, a few months ago I bought her an HP all-in-one device (B&W only) pretty cheap ($80) whose toner cartridge should last her many years with her infrequent printing. Meanwhile, I took her old one because I could use a fax/scanner, so everybody wins!

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:31 am
I switched from an inkjet to a LaserJet back in 2010. It was great being able to print crisper looking pages more quickly and without having to get inkjet cartridge refills all the time (from Cartridge World which was pretty cheap). Even the starter HP toner cartridge lasted me 2 years and I print fairly often and print a lot of "busy" pages with grid lines. The second toner cartridge lasted 4 years and the third one is still printing okay - I got that one (a refilled one) from Cartridge World at half the cost.

My ladyfriend bought an all-in-one inkjet device back in 2007. She didn't print often, so the inkjet cartridge was drying up a lot and needed to be replaced. Sometimes, the guy at Cartridge World would bring it back to life at no charge. The color cartridge was costlier to replace and not usually refillable (she decided to go without a new one as long as she could still print B&W). After 11 years of putting up with that, a few months ago I bought her an HP all-in-one device (B&W only) pretty cheap ($80) whose toner cartridge should last her many years with her infrequent printing. Meanwhile, I took her old one because I could use a fax/scanner, so everybody wins!
I quickly gave up on ink jet printers due to the cost. Also didn't help that one wouldn't scan/copy if the ink was empty (really?). I got a Brothers Laser printer years ago (I think it was only $99) and just installed my second toner cartridge (probably close to the cost of the printer $80). The ink jet replacement inks would often cost $20-40 and didn't last long. For someone like me that doesn't print things often and don't need color, I think it is a no brainer. I also think it is better to have a separate scanner/copier.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am

HP's Instant Ink program is a very good fit for the OP's use case - infrequent printing. I've always been frustrated at spending so much for ink (especially for cheap printers - they lose money on the printer and make it back on the cartridges). The problem is compounded by inkjet printers' need to perform periodic cleaning of the printheads, which uses up ink even if you print nothing at all. I've used HP's Instant Ink program for about a year now and am happy with it. It's a subscription model with several plans, 3, 5, or 10 dollars a month for 50, 100, or 300 pages. You can buy blocks of pages beyond that, and unused pages roll over to the next month, up to the number of pages in your plan (e.g., if you're on the 50-page plan you can't roll over more than 50 pages). HP mails you cartridges before you run out. The catch is 1) you need one of the compatible models, including most of the HP inkjet models made in the last 2-3 years; 2) your printer has to be connected to the internet. This bothers some people but has not been an issue for me.

There' also a free plan that gives you 10 pages per month but 1) only a few models regularly priced at under $100 qualify; and 2) you can't roll over those free pages. You can however buy more pages.

I'd recommend checking out the OfficeJet 5255, which is a multifunction with wifi that qualifies for the free plan. It usually sells for $70.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 pm
It will not... costs exactly $3 less than I paid for my multifunction color laser printer. And the reviews above are eerily reflective of my experience with a much higher-end Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4630. There is also a $900 Ecotank version. The reviews of the ET-2650 will get consistently worse over time, as more and more fail. My 4630 had 3% one-star reviews when I purchased it. Now it's almost half.
Thanks for that. I hadn't realized color laser AIO printers have fallen to this price level. Would you mind telling us which laser AIO you bought and whether you recommend it?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

Traveller wrote:

+1
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu May 31, 2018 11:19 am

mmmodem wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am
Thanks for that. I hadn't realized color laser AIO printers have fallen to this price level. Would you mind telling us which laser AIO you bought and whether you recommend it?
I got the Dell H625cdw for $222. Looks like it's discontinued now (Still available on Amazon for $243), but other than that I would recommend it. Duplex scanning and printing. Toner is quite expensive, but I still have 2/3 on all the starter color cartridge and about half of the black left after a year and a half, so not too worried about that, and there are cheap aftermarket alternatives should I decide to go that route.

If you want one that's currently produced, the HP LaserJet Pro M281fdw appears to be the current critic darling. It's a bit pricier at about $330, but should be worth it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Traveller wrote:

+1. I love my Brother printer. I use one toner cartridge a year while printing 2-3 times a week. I can print via wireless network from my iPad.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 pm

I am pretty happy with modern inkjet printers. I find their problems are way fewer than they were two decades ago. Still, the price of ink is ridiculous. I would consider a laser printer for that reason.

Still, I use my printer as a scanner much more than I use it as a printer. It works quite well in that task. Do any of the recommended laser printers have a reasonable scan feature?
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm

You can often get more life out of a toner cartridge by taking it out, shaking it gently, and putting it back in. I'm still on the starter cartridge for the Brother printer I bought in 2012, but I don't print a lot.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:15 am

Before I purchase a printer, I look on internet for the ink price. If the ink costs more than $10; I pass on that printer. This scheme has worked for me for last 20 years or so.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 am

telemark wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm
You can often get more life out of a toner cartridge by taking it out, shaking it gently, and putting it back in. I'm still on the starter cartridge for the Brother printer I bought in 2012, but I don't print a lot.
I do this, too, and it adds at least 6 months to the toner cartridge. I make sure to do this over a garbage pail and away from whatever I am wearing because some toner inevitably sprays out onto everything nearby.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 am
telemark wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm
I do this, too, and it adds at least 6 months to the toner cartridge. I make sure to do this over a garbage pail and away from whatever I am wearing because some toner inevitably sprays out onto everything nearby.
Rather than "shaking" the toner cartridge, It is better to rotate the toner cartridge 30 degrees back and tilt the toner cartridge longitudinally 45 degrees in both directions. The rotate 30 degrees forward and tilt. Finally, tilt while level. That will more evenly distribute the toner throughout the cartridge with less toner leakage.

It may be that your printer also uses a sensor. You can cover up the sensor hole in the toner cartridge.