Good Hotel in DC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dmk395

Good Hotel in DC

Post by dmk395 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 am

I'm planning a trip to see monuments etc. Looking for a good hotel from personal experience, rather than just online reviews. I'd like to be able to walk places, and stay someplace nice. Any suggestions?

dbltrbl

Re: Good Hotel in DC

Post by dbltrbl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:37 am

Any price? Trump hotel, new and nice. :D :) :sharebeer

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 am

JW Marriott....I highly recommend it. Walkable to just about everything.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 am

dmk395 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 am
I'm planning a trip to see monuments etc. Looking for a good hotel from personal experience, rather than just online reviews. I'd like to be able to walk places, and stay someplace nice. Any suggestions?
How nice?

There is the Hay Adams, which is across Lafayette Park from the White House, although "rooms with a view" are, er, pricey.
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
We've also stayed at the Willard, which is very nice.

When we were in DC a few weeks ago, we stayed at the Jefferson, which is a hidden/lesser known gem in my mind.
I'd never stayed there before, but DH had held functions there in the distant past, but he hadn't actually stayed there previously, either.

It's full of antiques and the entire hotel has been restored like the past. It's absolutely charming (and still a top hotel, of course).

The only downside was that the regular rooms are really small.
But we'd much rather have a small but charming room in a special hotel than a larger room in a modern "you could be anywhere" hotel.

We'll probably stay there in the future from now on.

They are all walkable distances to places like the Smithsonian.
But look at a map, to make sure that whichever monuments/museums/etc. of the most interest to you are "nearby".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:55 am

In all honesty, the Trump hotel.

1. It's on Pennsylvania Ave (same as White House)
2. Next to the IRS building
3. One block away from the FBI building
4. The hotel is the old post office building (historic architecture)
5. One block away from the National Mall and Smithsonians
6. 2 blocks away from the National Archives.

The hotel is your full-service hotel though and it'll carry that expense plus high cost of everything DC.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 am

We stayed at the Kimpton Palomar for a DC visit and liked it a lot. It's in Georgetown, so the price isn't quite as astronomical as being right in the center of DC, but just a couple of easy blocks to a Metro stop to get to the Mall and environs. Very nicely done hotel, clean room that was comfortable and if you join their loyalty program they have nice sales plus you get free wifi.

Kimpton has quite a few DC area properties, some are more reasonable than the Palomar and there are a couple that are downtown (with prices to match). I like the chain; we've stayed there and in Philadelphia. Kimpton has a quirky-hip vibe in their decor which is a little refreshingly different than the standard chain hotels.

ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:13 am

A bit different: Kimpton Lorien in Arlington. Very easy to get to all the DC sites via Blue Line Metro and the pricing is quite reasonable. Nice modern rooms and very quiet since it's set back from the street a bit. Lots of good restaurants in that area as well.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 am

A couple years ago I stayed at the Omni Shoreham Hotel which is just south of the zoo. It’s a very nice hotel in a restored 1930s building. It’s very close to the Woodly Park-Zoo metro stop and an easy walk to DuPont Circle for restaurants and bars. The hotel is off the main road and backs up to a wooded area so you get a more secluded feeling even though you are right in the city. Also close to many of the foreign embassies.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am

We've stayed several times at the Marriott Wardman near the zoo and Woodley Metro station. Very nice hotel with access to sites via the metro. Great area to walk around and has some good restaurants along restaurant row near the metro station or its 5 -10 minutes to Adams-Morgan or Dupont Circle.

For us it provides us with a bit of relaxation by getting away from the hustle and bustle of being in the the city all day.

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:15 am

yukonjack wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 am
A couple years ago I stayed at the Omni Shoreham Hotel which is just south of the zoo. It’s a very nice hotel in a restored 1930s building. It’s very close to the Woodly Park-Zoo metro stop and an easy walk to DuPont Circle for restaurants and bars. The hotel is off the main road and backs up to a wooded area so you get a more secluded feeling even though you are right in the city. Also close to many of the foreign embassies.
It’s really beginning to look like a dump now. I’d vote Trump Hotel. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

Hotels along Pennsylvania Avenue (including the one affiliated with a politician) are close to daytime attractions but the area rolls up after 6 pm. There are some mostly chain restaurants over by Gallery Place/Chinatown but that area is a little touristy and overrun by sports event and convention attendees for my preferences. If I was in DC on vacation I'd stay near Dupont Circle which is close, has many restaurants, and more residential areas which are enjoyable for walking. Sorry, no specific name because I don't stay I travel to DC for business and stay in a hotel convenient to my work sites.

I feel perfectly safe walking around NW DC but the distances are quite large and DC weather can get uncomfortable 9 out of 12 months of the year (humidity, heat, cold, rain, snow) so I'd pick a hotel that is within a block or two of a metro station. Many tourist destinations are close to the Orange/Blue line but transfer from the Red to Blue/Orange is easy and many of those tourist destinations aren't too far of a walk directly from a Red line station. Ride shares are also easy and may be faster but I prefer public transit and walking in DC.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 am

Also consider hotels in Virginia with close access to metro (subway). There are many in the Crystal City area (near Reagan national airport), including two Marriott hotels.

There are also several along the Metro Orange/Silver line in Arlington as well.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Mandarin is great for monuments - opposite side of mall next to Jefferson, minimal access to night life.

Kimpton Palomar DC is pretty good for nightlife accesss - can grab sighseeing tourbus from Dupont Circle to see Georgetown/Monuments during the day, Penn Quarter for dinner, and then be back in Dupont area for nightcap.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Depending upon your budget I really like the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th Street is a very good location. From their website:

Adjustable beds, complimentary internet and free cookies every evening are special treats at the Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown, conveniently located near public transportation and the White House. The 14-story Hilton Garden Inn has 300 sleek and spacious rooms that let you get down to business with large desks and ergonomic chairs. When it's time to relax, the adjustable beds have dials to let you control the firmness. High-tech touches include flat-panel TVs and free high-speed internet access. There's a mini-fridge and microwave in each room, and a 24-hour market downstairs so that you can stock up on goodies. The fitness center has cardio machines, free weights and an indoor pool. The White House is about two blocks from the hotel's front door. You're also a block from the National Museum of Women in the Arts and six blocks from the Renwick Gallery. This neighborhood is where D.C.'s movers and shakers dine, so there are plenty of eateries nearby. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, five miles away, is easy to reach via the Metro subway system: the nearest station, McPherson Square, is across the street from the hotel. Washington Dulles International Airport is 27 miles away. This Hilton Garden Inn gives our guests "large" rooms, "superior staff service" and a "super convenient" location two blocks from the White House and across the street from the Metro.

I have stayed there several times. Bobby Van's steakhouse is close by. Served us enough food for two meals (we took it back to our room and had the leftovers the next night). Walking distance to just about all you want to see. Took my then 85 year old father with us and walked everywhere, including WWII Memorial, National Archives and Smithsonian. White House really close by. Contact your congressman about setting up a tour there if you are planning out far enough ahead.

dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:06 pm

thanks everyone!

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:27 pm

My family and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC for sightseeing a couple of years ago. It was very good and convenient. My kids are teens (were 11/12 at that time) and we went carryon - took the subway from the airport to the hotel and never got a car. Used the metro everywhere and the metro is attached to the hotel. Made using the metro easy and was easy to get to all the sights. Agree with all the other suggestions though too...

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Most important thing is what's your budget.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

deikel

Post by deikel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Not sure how well you know DC, but the idea of walkable is very relative...I mean, just the National Mall up and down is enough to walk a LOT and you would have missed a bunch left and right...if you want to see different neighborhoods, say Adams Morgan or Georgetown along the river ect, you can not walk all that.

Your best mode of transportation is Ueber or a taxi to get you to the spot you want and not waste time (and energy) walking around - besides a nice stroll around the White House to get the general feel.

Also, the Metro system works great in DC and purely from money point of view, you can stay for less than a hundred a night outside town, take the metro into town and hop around all day with Ueber....in a normal hotel. DC Metro is something to be experienced, a distinct James Bond feel (the old movies that is).

IMO, its completely cuckoo to shell out 350/night just to be close to Pennsylvania Ave.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm

dmk395 wrote:
The Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill was nice.
Indoor pool. Great location. Close to Union Station. Close to the Capital and Mall.

When we go to DC next, we'll probably stay there again.

One tip: eat at the National Museum of the American Indian if you have a chance.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 pm

pennywise wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 am
We stayed at the Kimpton Palomar for a DC visit and liked it a lot. It's in Georgetown
It's actually in Dupont Circle, not Georgetown. Come to think of it, there are a few hotels in DC that claim to be in Georgetown but aren't. For example, the "Fairmont Georgetown" and "Westin Georgetown" are both in the West End.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

My wife and I stayed in the Hay Adams, great view, great location, really good food. Yes, a bit pricey but they made us a deal on the room. We were 7th floor with a clear shot of the White House.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 pm

This is a very difficult question to answer without knowing what the budget is. If you want to be in the heart of nightlife and near museums, something in the Penn Quarter makes sense. The Kimpton Monaco is in a very historic building, and there is a Courtyard by Marriott just down the street. The people who have suggested the Woodley Park options also make sense; they are a very short Metro ride from Metro Center, but in less congested neighborhoods. From there you could walk to the Zoo and the Cathedral. I would choose that over soulless Crystal City.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

I'm partial to The Mayflower. It's right near Farragut North and Farrugut West on the Metro. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops on Connecticut Ave and in the surrounding area. There is plenty of history about the hotel itself, the rooms are nice and the restaurant is quite good.

spitty

Post by spitty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:04 pm

You didn't mention a budget, but to stay a little cheaper check out the Hotel Americana on the VA side. Very nice and most rooms were remodeled several years ago. Easy walk to either Pentagon City or Crystal City metro station--and even a Costco a few blocks away. I walked through a Marriott just down the street which was nice but surely more expensive.
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 am

Need more details on budget, how important walkability is to you, and how much you want to be right in the center of things.

Lots of good suggestions. I also like the Kimpton properties - stayed in several before moving to town. I'm partial to the one in Penn quarter / China Town - good access to the tourist sites and to some good dining.

But let me also put in a plug for an Air BnB in my neighborhood of Capitol Hill. It's a neighborhood of 100+ year old row homes that starts two blocks east of the capitol. Lots of people rent out their English basement units. Up to you whether you want the Air BnB experience, but it has its benefits of you're traveling with kids or need some space. it's an easy Uber or metro or bike ride to the attractions and a walkers paradise (if you're really a walker, you can walk nearly everywhere from there too). Stay near Barracks Row or Eastern Market and you'll get to see a residential side of DC living that can be a nice change of pace from the monuments.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 am

I don't know how common, but we have friends who upgraded their basement as an airbnb rental (sounds very nice). They live within a block or two of a Metro (subway) stop in Arlington, Virginia.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

atomicrc11 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm
I'm partial to The Mayflower. It's right near Farragut North and Farrugut West on the Metro. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops on Connecticut Ave and in the surrounding area. There is plenty of history about the hotel itself, the rooms are nice and the restaurant is quite good.
I've stayed there many times. It has the added bonus of being on the same block as a red line metro station and two blocks from a blue/orange/silver line station. Rooms are very large and you know immediately you are in a large, upscale Marriott (your call whether you find that good or bad). Agree there are more nearby dining options than the Penn Avenue hotels. Agree it would be a good choice for business or vacation travel if you are OK with the cost.

eurosceptic

Post by eurosceptic » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 am
That view isn't er, quite the same, nowadays...
Please explain what this means.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 pm

atomicrc11 wrote:
+1 for this, I also love the renaissance mayflower for its charm, proximity to 2 major metro lines/stations, and walking distance to DuPont circle for dining and drinks

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm

I fly into National and stay at Grand Hyatt. Blue line from baggage to hotel with no hassles. Great metro connections around town.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Strayshot wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 pm
atomicrc11 wrote:
+1 for this, I also love the renaissance mayflower for its charm, proximity to 2 major metro lines/stations, and walking distance to DuPont circle for dining and drinks
It makes no difference to the services and amenities of the hotel, but you won't find a Renaissance Mayflower anymore. It has switched over to an Autograph Collection Hotel in the Marriott family of hotels. The Renaissance DuPont Circle is the only Renaissance in DC.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

JW Marriott - only a couple of blocks from the mall/Smithsonian, near the White House, nice lobby/place/etc - nearby Restaurants.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Anything Kimpton property is a sure thing at Boglehead price/quality.

Save the money and eat well in DC...

-TheDDC

Post by 123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

We enjoyed Embassy Suites in Georgetown for about a week on a summer trip a couple of years ago. Since Washington is a big government and business/lobbying town there can be a dramatic difference in hotel rates and availability depending on the day of the week and time of the year. So if you're flexible plan ahead. Nice rooms and an included daily buffet breakfast are the norm at Embassy Suites. Why kill an hour or two going out for breakfast when you can do it quickly, for no additional cost, at Embassy Suites.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 pm

I stayed at the W. Excellent location but pretty pricey.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm

123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm
there can be a dramatic difference in hotel rates and availability depending on the day of the week and time of the year.
This is right on the money. Plan your dates of travel carefully - a Thursday to Monday stay might be a third of the cost of a Monday to Thursday stay at the same hotel the same week. DC's Metro system isn't perfect, but it works reasonably well and can get you to most of the attractions conveniently and is far preferable to trying to navigate the area by car. I'd particularly recommend hotels located close to stations on the orange/blue/silver or red lines. Consider also close-in suburbs like Arlington and Bethesda (served by the Metro lines mentioned above), although if you stay over the weekend staying in the District may not cost much (or any) more.

I'd second others' recommendations for the Kimpton hotels, of which there are quite a few in the DC area. Courtyard by Marriott, Hyatt Place, and the like also tend to be reliable, both in the District and in the 'burbs. The full-service hotels downtown like the Willard and the Mayflower are very poor value at their weekday rates. A hotel in/around the "West End" area (e.g., the Hilton Garden Inn Georgetown, which is really West End) can be a great choice if you stay over the weekend (they're pricey during the week). The area is close to night life/dining in Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, and Georgetown, and it's a very quick trip on the Metro (or just walk) to the major monuments/museums. In fact, the area is about as convenient as it gets for just about anything in DC.

Enjoy your trip!

wcshaff

Post by wcshaff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm

I always stay at Club Quarters when I am in DC. Not full service but very comfortable and a couple blocks from the White House. Unique outfit.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am
atomicrc11 wrote:
I've stayed there many times. It has the added bonus of being on the same block as a red line metro station and two blocks from a blue/orange/silver line station. Rooms are very large and you know immediately you are in a large, upscale Marriott (your call whether you find that good or bad). Agree there are more nearby dining options than the Penn Avenue hotels. Agree it would be a good choice for business or vacation travel if you are OK with the cost.
And it's a half-block away from DC Improv, my comedy club. There are also other comedy clubs in the DuPont Circle area.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm

I stayed at the Georgetown Inn West End (when it was a Best Western) on New Hampshire between Washington Circle and Dupont Circle. Moderately priced, room was nice and breakfast was fine, easy walk to Foggy Bottom Metro station and the Kennedy Center. I just checked Google Maps and it's about a mile from the White House.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Kalorama Guest House

https://kaloramaguesthouse.com
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

mike512usa

Post by mike512usa » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm
123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm
there can be a dramatic difference in hotel rates and availability depending on the day of the week and time of the year.
This is right on the money. Plan your dates of travel carefully - a Thursday to Monday stay might be a third of the cost of a Monday to Thursday stay at the same hotel the same week. DC's Metro system isn't perfect, but it works reasonably well and can get you to most of the attractions conveniently and is far preferable to trying to navigate the area by car. I'd particularly recommend hotels located close to stations on the orange/blue/silver or red lines.
I hope that I am not hijacking anyone's thread. If it is bad form please let me know. I too was planning on visiting D.C. later this year. I have a mad plan about driving across country. We are in California and I want to see the country and visit relatives along the way. I have 5 weeks off right now but I might extend it a bit more. We drove to Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse Mt.(South Dakota) and Devils Tower (Wyoming) last year. The year before we drove to Oregon then British Columbia Canada followed by a five day stay in Yellowstone (Montana/Wyoming). So I am used to drives but this will be the big one and the only big one. This will be the first and last time I attempt such a long road trip. I have been to many other countries but I want to see the USA more and also have an idea where I might like to retire. So am I crazy? (the wife always thinks that I am)

So it is cheaper for Thurs. thru Mon. stays? I am used to the weekend being more expensive. I will have my wife and kids with me (14, 9 & 8). The airBNB seems like a possibility to look into.

Also, what is the best way to get around the city? I will have a car (Chevy Suburban) with me.

PS I usually lurk and the knowledge on this forum is impressive. I used to think that I was a big saver and knew my stuff till I read some of this forum. Thanks for the knowledge that you folks pass on.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 am

did the OP state what his/her budget is?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 am

mike512usa wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 am
So it is cheaper for Thurs. thru Mon. stays? I am used to the weekend being more expensive. I will have my wife and kids with me (14, 9 & 8). The airBNB seems like a possibility to look into.
The dramatic difference I've noticed is in airfare. Hotel stays vary too, but nothing quite so dramatic as the cost of the flight. For example, last summer I got called to a Mon-Tue meeting in DC. Airfare for traveling out on Sunday was nearly twice as expensive as traveling out on Saturday. This was when Congress was in session, so Sunday was peak arrival time for those conducting business in DC.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Mike512usa, the part about weekends being cheaper (sometimes dramatically so) is a rule of thumb, but of course you should check your dates on the usual sites. It varies a lot depending on season; summer is generally cheapest as Congress is out of session, but DC can be pretty miserable at that time of year, with the heat and humidity.

Parking in DC is both hard to find and expensive. I would strongly advise against trying to drive in DC, if you're from out of town and have a Suburban, which will be almost impossible to fit into street parking. Leaving that car at your hotel (ideally in the suburbs, but near Metro) and taking public transportation into DC will be much easier. Google Maps has transit information for DC.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:04 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:09 pm
Mike512usa, the part about weekends being cheaper (sometimes dramatically so) is a rule of thumb, but of course you should check your dates on the usual sites. It varies a lot depending on season; summer is generally cheapest as Congress is out of session, but DC can be pretty miserable at that time of year, with the heat and humidity.
FYI, Congress is usually only out of session for a month in the summer (typically August). So if you go during June or July when they are in session, you'll have the normal variances of business travel. You can access the congressional calendars online to compare against your date of travels.

There are also other events that will peak travel and cause travel to be more expensive during those events. And this greatly affects hotel rates, since the vacancy rate plummets during really popular events. I'm thinking of things like the annual Marine Corp Marathon in October or other events that draw a lot of outsiders to the area.

For example, I once got called to an October meeting in DC that was the Wed-Fri before the Marine Corp Marathon and a big Saturday political protest. The hotel rate during the meeting was the standard state government employee rate (around $180-200/night back then). They did not offer that rate for Friday or Saturday night. Staying Friday night so I didn't have to fly overnight to get back to the West Coast and I could do a little site seeing on Saturday cost something like $300-400 for the same room. I passed on trying to stay Saturday night, which was the night before the marathon, because that would have been another $600+ for the room.

Caboose

Post by Caboose » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Agree with Jefferson and Hay-Adams - great service, location, etc and yes, a bit pricey ...also look at Fairmont on M Street.

Championship0911

Post by Championship0911 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 pm

+1 for the JW Marriott. Great location for seeing the white house, national mall, etc.