Folding bicycles

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gd

Folding bicycles

Post by gd »

I'm looking at folding bicycles good enough for recreational use-- easy to unfold/fold, and ride 10-20 miles on easy terrain, 7-8 speed probably ok. Never tried them, but I'm wary of 20" wheels. I've got a good area store that carries Tern and Montague, so eyeing Tern Node D8 or Montague Crosstown or Urban. Anyone have any experiences with or recommendations about these or similar, beyond the usual "Montagues are normal bikes that fold, Terns are folding bikes that ride normally"? My planned use is is 2 bagged bikes in small aircraft (back seat of C182 or larger), both these should fit ok as far as I can tell.
furwut

Re: Folding bicycles

Post by furwut »

Suggest adding how easily a bike transforms as an evaluation factor. My local bike shop is a Brompton dealer and those bikes unfold very handily.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

https://www.nycewheels.com/folding-bikes/

This website has plenty of folding bike review with youtube videos.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Have you ridden them and folded and unfolded them? I have found it difficult to evaluate something like this without actually trying it. Other peoples' opinions can help but aren't a substitute. You might look at some YouTube videos to watch others experience them, at least.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

DH loves his Montague mountain bike, which was full size wheels. I have a Citizen with 20" wheels. My complaint is that I only got 3 gears; I max out at a pretty low speed.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Last year, I wanted a folding bike to travel on and leave with family in the U.K. for later trips in Europe. After looking at various makes and models, I went with Bike Friday. I wrote an article about my selection process and my experience riding it here.

I realize a Bike Friday isn’t in your list of options, but thought the article would provide some insight into your choices.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I can't remember the brand, but I had one in the past. Honestly, with the small wheels and upright sitting posture, I did not enjoy riding it and could have never gone long distances.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

There are many folding bike companies at a variety of price points.

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... oduct_id=1

I do not think most are "10 to 20 mile" bikes. They are meant for easy touring, cruising around, sight seeing, etc.

If you want to spend up in the $1,500 and up range, then you can have some interesting options.

A full sized folding bike is still a handful to deal with. A compact model will be easier to store/move/transport but will not be a good to ride.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tchoupitoulas

Post by tchoupitoulas »

I also own a Brompton and love it deeply. I've owned mine since 2009 and have used it to commute in NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Milwaukee. I also use it to buy groceries, pull my toddler in his trailer, and even go camping. My wife has one too. They are pricier than other options but the quality is excellent. The real standout features are the neat, compact fold and the versatility of the luggage carrier system (the front block), which I don't think is matched by any other folder. I seriously cannot overstate how fantastic that carrier block is.
timmy

Post by timmy »

The guy from this website uses and writes about his folding bike.

https://www.cheapathlete.com/five-bike- ... ls-part-1/

It you hit him on Twitter, he'll answer questions.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

sailaway

Post by sailaway »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am There are many folding bike companies at a variety of price points.

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... oduct_id=1

I do not think most are "10 to 20 mile" bikes. They are meant for easy touring, cruising around, sight seeing, etc.

I love my Citizen for 10-20 miles loop. It is hills I struggle with, but that has a lot to do with the 3 speed gearing and a stronger and/or lighter person probably wouldn't struggle as much.

As for sitting upright, that is the only way I could ride that long without throwing my back out. Obviously, YMMV without my skeletomuscular issues.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I considered buying a folding bike once for commuting to work on public transportation and test rode several of them. I found them to be very flimsy - if I pulled back on the handlebar, the whole frame would flex. Then I noticed that most of the people who are wild about folding bikes are of relatively small stature, which makes sense, since most folders have frames that are quite small. I decided I couldn't ride one for more than a mile or two and it wouldn't be worth the cost.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

I'm almost 6'4''. That (besides the price, weight and design) is why I avoid Brompton bikes. Tern I avoid (besides the price and weight)because their frames fall apart. My Dahon Vitesse D3 ($500, plus $125 for a better crank/chainring) rides pretty much like a big bike after it was set up right, better than many. Dealing with a folding bike takes a little more mechanical aptitude than a regular bike.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

gd wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am I'm looking at folding bicycles good enough for recreational use-- easy to unfold/fold, and ride 10-20 miles on easy terrain....My planned use is is 2 bagged bikes in small aircraft ....
For those criteria and if you aren't much more than 6 ft then I would look at a Brompton.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Ironic you mentioned folding bike.
I just purchased this one for my spouse.
Simple,no gears ,works like a charm. :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010R ... UTF8&psc=1

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I understand the reluctance to ride a "clown bike". For sure.

But I had a Co-Motion Americano 700c touring bike with couplers that to be deemed portable or packable was truly a joke. Those big wheels guaranteed that packing into a non-oversized (I think 26"x26"x10" max) bag or box for airline check-in was a nightmare.

Bike Friday was mentioned previously. The bicycle touring community seems to like them very much and many other configurations are available.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I have an REI bike which is a rebranded Tern D7i (actually a slightly older model, but that's the equivalent now). I bought it when I was going into a remote work site on a consistent schedule, I'd stay a few nights in a hotel and ride the bike to work from the hotel, about six miles each way. I'd keep the bike in my trunk.

Worked fine for me, but I'm pretty short. Not quite as nice as a full size bike, but surprisingly comfortable. I have a road bike and a gravel bike as well, but I didn't mind riding the folder.

Takes about two minutes at the most to fold and unfold the bike. If I was in a position where I was holding up a line to fold it, like getting on/off a train, I'd think about a Bike Friday Ticket or a Brompton that are designed to fold super-fast.

One thing I really liked was the internal gear hub (you'll see the bike forum guys call those "IGs"), getting the bike in and out of the trunk and not worrying about smashing the derailleur was really helpful. I don't have the horsepower for a single speed with the headwinds I'd hit, so I need something with gears.

I had a little problem with the quick release seatpost collar slipping, eventually I just replaced it with regular collar and used a hex wrench. And I replaced the cheap pedals with some MKS's. I have heard about Tern frame failures, I haven't seen it myself, I do keep an eye on the hinge.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a 2017 Brompton M6L. If your budget is high, then a Brompton has the best design.

You can spend less and much less. All will have less "something" compared to a Brompton.

Watch a lot of test ride and review videos on YouTube. Read up on the Brompton history and how they are hand brazed and custom made.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jucor

Post by jucor »

Another very happy Brompton owner here. I'm a big guy -- 6'7", 235 lbs -- and the Brompton with H bars and extended seatpost fits me well -- they have many configurations for all sizes, and are very adjustable. I used to own a DaHon, and test rode about 7 different folders before buying the Brompton. For me the Brompton's ride is closest to a "normal" bike -- even better when carrying a front load in the ingenious quick-release bag system that's an option.

It folds to a very small package very easily and quickly, so is super easy to take on bus or train, and can be flown without oversize fees (or, in OP's case, fairly easily in the back of a private plane). I use a larger front bag and have happily taken the Brompton on a train to a city for a three-four day trip with only that bag and the bike as luggage.

It is not cheap, but it works well. Definitely try out as many as you can -- which might mean several shops in a big city. If you plan on actually riding it a good one is a must, IMHO.
Last edited by jucor on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Just curious, why do you want/need a folding bike?
jucor

Post by jucor »

TallBoy29er wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm Just curious, why do you want/need a folding bike?

From first post by OP in thread "My planned use is is 2 bagged bikes in small aircraft (back seat of C182 or larger)"
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

jucor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm
TallBoy29er wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm Just curious, why do you want/need a folding bike?

From first post by OP in thread "My planned use is is 2 bagged bikes in small aircraft (back seat of C182 or larger)"
Guess reading the last sentence can be helpful sometimes. Cheers to you jucor :sharebeer
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:06 pm ...If your budget is high, then a Brompton has the best design.

You can spend less and much less. All will have less something compared to a Brompton.
Neither of those two statements are entirely true. The Brompton is a great bike. We have one. But it is a bike built for a purpose. A decent ride at a small footprint with a quick and simple fold.
fed123

Post by fed123 »

The Dahon Marriner is a mid priced folding bike that has great ratings. To me it is much more comfortable than a regular touring bike. Only problem is that it is heavy, and not capable of being pushed when folded. Next go round I will look for something that can be pushed when folded.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

halfnine wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:06 pm ...If your budget is high, then a Brompton has the best design.

You can spend less and much less. All will have less something compared to a Brompton.
Neither of those two statements are entirely true. The Brompton is a great bike. We have one. But it is a bike built for a purpose. A decent ride at a small footprint with a quick and simple fold.
Which folding bike has a better design?

Bikes at a lower price point are designed for a specific purpose as well.

I think you said my statements were not true and then proceeded to prove they were "mostly" true. :wink:
SS

Post by SS »

My husband has a Downtube (~$600), gates belt drive, 8 speed Nexus internal hub folding bicycle, and I have a Brompton. Hands down, the Brompton is a far superior bicycle. It also has a higher price, but I love, love, love my Brompton. I opted to purchase it from Kinetics, a small company in Glasgow that builds rear triangles and fits Bromptons with internal gear hubs (I have an Alfine 8). They ship all over the world, and shipping to the US was not a big deal. It is the smoothest riding bicycle we own (and we have a fleet). And the fold cannot be beat. Way better than the Downtube, which I plan to sell and replace with a Brompton. Despite the marketing, the Downtube does not travel very well, and the fold is not that small.

We rented Bromptons for an afternoon before buying because you'll need to decide if you want, P, S, M or H-type handlebars and you'll want to think about your gear needs. The Brompton from Kinetics was not cheap, but it's fabulous to ride and well worth the money. I use it to commute (11 miles) when the weather is nice, it fits in the car easily for road trips, and we will use it on our boat this summer.

SS
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm
halfnine wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am

Which folding bike has a better design?

Bikes at a lower price point are designed for a specific purpose as well.
//
I think you said my statements were not true and then proceeded to prove they were "mostly" true. :wink:
For less money, I'd probably get a Xootr if the size of the fold wasn't as important. For more money I'd probably get a Birdy. For a train commute and then a short ride to work, certainly a Brompton would be best. If I wanted to toss it into the back of Cessna, I'd probably want a Brompton as well. But, to indicate the Brompton has the best overall design would be false. There are quite a few good designs out there. Which design is best for a user is entirely dependent on the rider's purpose.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

jucor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:23 pm Another very happy Brompton owner here. I'm a big guy -- 6'7", 235 lbs -- and the Brompton with H bars and extended seatpost fits me well -- they have many configurations for all sizes, and are very adjustable. I used to own a DaHon, and test rode about 7 different folders before buying the Brompton. For me the Brompton's ride is closest to a "normal" bike -- even better when carrying a front load in the ingenious quick-release bag system that's an option.

It folds to a very small package very easily and quickly, so is super easy to take on bus or train, and can be flown without oversize fees (or, in OP's case, fairly easily in the back of a private plane). I use a larger front bag and have happily taken the Brompton on a train to a city for a three-four day trip with only that bag and the bike as luggage.

It is not cheap, but it works well. Definitely try out as many as you can -- which might mean several shops in a big city. If you plan on actually riding it a good one is a must, IMHO.
Same here. I have several Bromptons.

One other thing about Brompton is that they hold their value extremely well. Look on Criagslist in major cities and you will find that they are asking for 80% of their retail price on a used Brompton. They are usually sold in a week or so....

The other thing is that they have good after market service and parts. You are not stranded with a bike where the parts aren't available.

I bought 2 Brompton off a guy who kept one in his airplane. He would land in different cities and ride around.