Suggest coffee maker please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
onourway

Re: Suggest coffee maker please

Post by onourway » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

French press: annoying cleanup. Once you pour all the coffee into your mug, you're left with all the grinds on the bottom of the french press. You'll then need a spoon or spatula to scoop out all the grinds into the trash. This can get messy.
I've been rinsing grounds from my French press down the drain for decades. Same with the grounds from the gold cone filter we use in the automatic drip maker. Much less messy than putting it in the trash!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm
I've been rinsing grounds from my French press down the drain for decades. Same with the grounds from the gold cone filter we use in the automatic drip maker. Much less messy than putting it in the trash!
That depends on your drains. Some of them will let you know they do not appreciate coffee grounds. The clean up will be messy.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Another thing to consider when comparing all these different coffeemakers is the cleanup.

Pour-over: very easy cleanup. All the coffee grinds are contained within a disposable filter. Pick up the filter with the grinds and throw it away (or compost). Rinse out the small pour over cone and let it dry.

Aeropress: easy cleanup. When you plunge the coffee into your mug, you're also plunging the coffee grinds to the very bottom of the aeropress. Once you plunge all the coffee out, you're left with a small puck of grinds. Unscrew the end, and then plunge the puck into the trash. You'll have a few grinds leftover on the rubber end of the plunger that you'll have to rinse off.

French press: annoying cleanup. Once you pour all the coffee into your mug, you're left with all the grinds on the bottom of the french press. You'll then need a spoon or spatula to scoop out all the grinds into the trash. This can get messy.

Chemex: unwieldy cleanup. Cleaning up the grinds is easy as it is the same as any other pour over. However, I find it unwieldy to cleanup the bottom bowl of the chemex apparatus.

I enjoy the manual process of making my coffee. The grinding, measuring, pouring...it's all very zen for me. However, I do want the cleanup to be as quick and easy as possible.
Very useful. Thanks.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am
kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

Is your one scoop is equal to one tablespoon? And is it medium grind or fine grind that you are talking about?

I have Starbucks pre-ground Colombian medium roast (and I believe the grind is medium). Using 2 tbsp it comes out very diluted. But at the store I sometimes get their drip coffee (Pike Place, which is also medium roast), and it seems much stronger. Even if I add extra creamer or whole milk, the flavor stays strong and even the color looks 'full'. When I make at home, as soon as I add cream or milk, it even looks watery.

I will try adding more next time and see.
How much water are you using per 2Tbsp? You need to consider both sides of the equation.

1Tbsp is ~8g (but an imprecise way of measuring).

If you want to make 4 six-ounce cups of coffee, that would take ~38g of coffee at 18:1 ratio. Or about 5Tbsp. Adjust the ratio up or down to suit your taste.
First I used about 2 Tbsp for 6 oz water. Today I tried 4 Tbsp for 8 oz water. But still it's very weak. The coffee is pre-ground Starbucks colombian (medium roast). But it's not a strong flavor like the Pike Place (medium roast) they serve at the Starbucks store.

Maybe I'll try Pike Place pre-ground next time to see if it matches the taste at the store.

I suspect that the drip machine wastes coffee, because after making the coffee I added some water again and let it run over the same used grounds, and it still made another cup. Taste was different of course, a little bitter, but not terrible.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm

I was digging through old BH threads on the topic, and the Bonavita coffee maker seems to come up frequently. Any thoughts on if it's really
better than the $30-50 drip coffee makers (like Mr. Coffee, Black & decker). And if so, what makes it better?

I also came across a list:
https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Technivorm Moccamaster
Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
Cuisinart PurePrecision™ Pour Over Coffee Brewer

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Technivorm is good but way over $100

An aeropress as mentioned many times is $20 and
beats them all

If you want to limit exposure to heated plastics then get
a $12 Bonmac ceramic pour-over

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Another vote for Aeropress.
Wiki

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm
onourway wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm
That depends on your drains. Some of them will let you know they do not appreciate coffee grounds. The clean up will be messy.
We dump the grounds from our French press at the base of the rose bushes and other plants around our front porch and patio out back.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm
I was digging through old BH threads on the topic, and the Bonavita coffee maker seems to come up frequently. Any thoughts on if it's really
better than the $30-50 drip coffee makers (like Mr. Coffee, Black & decker). And if so, what makes it better?
Yes, the Bonavita makes a great pot of coffee. Why? The same reason that the Technivorm does. The main reason is that they both have more powerful heating elements. That means the water gets to the correct temperature sooner and stays there. A cheap coffee maker (e.g. Mr. Coffee, Black & Decker) uses an underpowered element that has the first half of the water go through too cold and the second half goes through too hot. That leaves you with weak but burned coffee. There are other things the Bonavita and the Technivorm do but the heating element is the main part of it.

I've had a Bonavita coffee maker for nearly 6 years now and it's still making a great pot of coffee and for a lot less cost than a Technivorm. I also grind fresh for each pot with a really nice but reasonably priced burr grinder from Breville.

If you want good drip/pour over coffee and don't want to shell out for a Technivorm or the more reasonable Bonavita then get a kettle with temperature settings and make pour over instead of drip. A kettle with temperature settings isn't cheap but still cheaper than a good drip coffee maker.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 am

I strongly suggest the Clever Coffee maker. You won't get a better pour-over because you can steep it as long as you want for extra strength. Pair it with an electric kettle and it is also quick.
https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dr ... B00EOM5RN0

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 am

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am
Dudley wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am
oh, and i've found the water source is a big influence on flavor (I prefer the spring water coming out the hill down the road over my reverse osmosis system....must be all the healthy "contaminants")
I prefer melted glacier ice myself.

You might be interested in chapter two of this book even though the subject is tea rather than coffee:

https://books.google.com/books?id=xrjWA ... &q&f=false
Great Dismal Swamp water is the best.

Earthy tones add to the boldness of the coffee.

Tadpoles are filtered out, can be used in a salad later.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

Hyperborea wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 am
kayanco wrote:
Yes, the Bonavita makes a great pot of coffee. Why? The same reason that the Technivorm does. The main reason is that they both have more powerful heating elements. That means the water gets to the correct temperature sooner and stays there. A cheap coffee maker (e.g. Mr. Coffee, Black & Decker) uses an underpowered element that has the first half of the water go through too cold and the second half goes through too hot. That leaves you with weak but burned coffee. There are other things the Bonavita and the Technivorm do but the heating element is the main part of it.

I've had a Bonavita coffee maker for nearly 6 years now and it's still making a great pot of coffee and for a lot less cost than a Technivorm. I also grind fresh for each pot with a really nice but reasonably priced burr grinder from Breville.

If you want good drip/pour over coffee and don't want to shell out for a Technivorm or the more reasonable Bonavita then get a kettle with temperature settings and make pour over instead of drip. A kettle with temperature settings isn't cheap but still cheaper than a good drip coffee maker.
Thank you. The Bonavita looks really interesting, I wasn't aware of this coffee maker before.
Have you looked in to Bonavita vs Behmor vs BUNN vs OXO?

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:53 am

A filter cone option especially suited for adjusting strength to taste is the Clever Dripper. I've linked to one of several models.

It has a spring loaded valve in the base. This allows you can steep the beans in your hot water to achieve the taste you'd like. You have no worries about a filter allowing the water to flow too quickly.

Insert filter, add grinds and water, when you're ready place on top your mug. The rim of the mug causes the valve to open and the coffee flows into the mug.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 am

kayanco wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am
Thank you. The Bonavita looks really interesting, I wasn't aware of this coffee maker before.
Have you looked in to Bonavita vs Behmor vs BUNN vs OXO?
Sorry, I haven't and don't know much about them. When I bought my Bonavita the only certified drip machines were it and the Technivorm. It's really great to see that there are more machines out there that make great coffee. I think you should be able to get good drip coffee from any of the certified machines. From there let the features and price drive your choice.

I should also mention that another factor is that the good coffee makers don't have a heating element under the carafe. Because if you do then you are continuing to cook the coffee for the entire time it sits on the element. If you are planning to make a pot and drink it over time then you need to make sure that you get a machine with a thermal carafe. I pre-heat my carafe by boiling some water in a kettle and letting it sit inside the carafe while I get everything else ready. With that I can keep the coffee at good temperature for quite a few hours. I'm drinking my first one right now.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 pm

jayjayc wrote:
Another thing to consider when comparing all these different coffeemakers is the cleanup.

Pour-over: very easy cleanup. All the coffee grinds are contained within a disposable filter. Pick up the filter with the grinds and throw it away (or compost). Rinse out the small pour over cone and let it dry.

Aeropress: easy cleanup. When you plunge the coffee into your mug, you're also plunging the coffee grinds to the very bottom of the aeropress. Once you plunge all the coffee out, you're left with a small puck of grinds. Unscrew the end, and then plunge the puck into the trash. You'll have a few grinds leftover on the rubber end of the plunger that you'll have to rinse off.

Chemex: unwieldy cleanup. Cleaning up the grinds is easy as it is the same as any other pour over. However, I find it unwieldy to cleanup the bottom bowl of the chemex apparatus.

I enjoy the manual process of making my coffee. The grinding, measuring, pouring...it's all very zen for me. However, I do want the cleanup to be as quick and easy as possible.
malabargold wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Technivorm is good but way over $100

An aeropress as mentioned many times is $20 and
beats them all

If you want to limit exposure to heated plastics then get
a $12 Bonmac ceramic pour-over
Limoncello402 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 am
I strongly suggest the Clever Coffee maker. You won't get a better pour-over because you can steep it as long as you want for extra strength. Pair it with an electric kettle and it is also quick.
https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dr ... B00EOM5RN0

In my basic review of the different methods, it seems like the 'pour-over' method is almost identical to the drip machine. The mechanism seems very similar to me.

Is that right?

Thanks.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Nescafe Classico Dark Instant, no coffee maker necessary.

NorCalDad

Post by NorCalDad » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Hyperborea wrote:
kayanco wrote:

Another Bonavita user here, for the same reasons described by Hyperborea. Considered the Technivorm, didn't want to spend the extra money and preferred the more compact design of the Bonavita.

I began using a digital kitchen scale last year to weigh the coffee before brewing. Once you figure out the perfect proportion of water to grounds for your taste, you'll get a more consistent cup of coffee each morning.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm

I suggest this https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dr ... ee+dripper which will let you adjust the strength by using more or less coffee and letting it sit for more or less time before you open the dripper.

However, to get the best result, you would also need to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-586-Virt ... a+virtuoso and some type of carafe, maybe this https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-30-Ounce- ... fee+carafe if you want to make more than one cup of coffee a time. The grinder will put you way over $100 for the total set-up.

If you do get the Baratza grinder, I would suggest grinding your favorite medium roast coffee beans @ 26 on the grinder and letting them sit for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes before you open the dripper. You can adjust the amount of coffee and the sitting time from there. Dark roast coffee beans are oily and will require cleaning your grinder more often. I can go months between cleaning if I stick to medium roast beans. Try a 3/4 cup measure of beans for two ten ounce mugs of coffee.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Would this be a good deal for a small Bonavita:
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1500T ... B00SK5IXPQ

$76.48, almost 50% off.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Hyperborea wrote:
kayanco wrote:

NorCalDad wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm
Hyperborea wrote:
kayanco wrote:

Another Bonavita user here, for the same reasons described by Hyperborea. Considered the Technivorm, didn't want to spend the extra money and preferred the more compact design of the Bonavita.

I began using a digital kitchen scale last year to weigh the coffee before brewing. Once you figure out the perfect proportion of water to grounds for your taste, you'll get a more consistent cup of coffee each morning.
Is it possible to place a mug/cup underneath, instead of the carafe, to brew just a single cup?

Thank you.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm
Is it possible to place a mug/cup underneath, instead of the carafe, to brew just a single cup?

Thank you.
There's nothing that would physically stop you from doing that as long as the mug fits under the filter holder. Two issues that I can think of is taking the time to get the water level right - you lose some to absorption into the filter and grounds. Don't want to put too much in. The other would be if the mug is too low then you might get some splashing as the coffee comes through.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

$76.48, almost 50% off.
I've owned that particular model and a BV1800. I actually returned the 1500 and bought an 1800. Something to know about all of these Bonavitas is that while they do reach the correct temperature (as many have already stated 195-205F) in my experience they tend towards the hotter end of that spectrum. The 1500 I had was so hot that no matter what I did (adjusted grind size, coffee to water ratio, etc.) everything came out over-extracted. With the 1800 I've had phenomenal results. The 1900 is the newer version, I just bought the 1800 because I liked the design a little more. I love and would wholeheartedly recommend an 1800 or 1900. While they're the larger model, you can make as little as 4 cups (2 small mugs worth) in them.

Something else others have touched on that I'd like to reiterate is that the quality of your beans and coffee will matter far more than whatever coffee maker you choose. Yes, the the Bonavita makes the best out of whatever you put in it, but you're really limiting your results if you're buying pre-ground or using a blade grinder. The grinder I use is the Baratza Encore, it's an entry level burr grinder and costs about $140. The beans I use are a light roast (lighter roasts are better for hotter water) from a local roaster.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 pm
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.
I've owned that particular model and a BV1800. I actually returned the 1500 and bought an 1800. Something to know about all of these Bonavitas is that while they do reach the correct temperature (as many have already stated 195-205F) in my experience they tend towards the hotter end of that spectrum. The 1500 I had was so hot that no matter what I did (adjusted grind size, coffee to water ratio, etc.) everything came out over-extracted. With the 1800 I've had phenomenal results. The 1900 is the newer version, I just bought the 1800 because I liked the design a little more. I love and would wholeheartedly recommend an 1800 or 1900. While they're the larger model, you can make as little as 4 cups (2 small mugs worth) in them.

Something else others have touched on that I'd like to reiterate is that the quality of your beans and coffee will matter far more than whatever coffee maker you choose. Yes, the the Bonavita makes the best out of whatever you put in it, but you're really limiting your results if you're buying pre-ground or using a blade grinder. The grinder I use is the Baratza Encore, it's an entry level burr grinder and costs about $140. The beans I use are a light roast (lighter roasts are better for hotter water) from a local roaster.
Thanks.

Can you make a single cup (8 oz) in the larger model?

I think one difference in the 1800 and 1900 is that 1800 uses cone filter and 1900 uses flat bottom filter. Any thoughts on this?

praxis

Post by praxis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm
I believe in the power of simplicity. French press. Whole beans from good roaster (I get Colorado roasts from Whole Foods) which grind each morning. You can play with amount of coffee beans until you get desired strength. And the grounds make great fertilizer for Vanda orchids outside. Good luck.
I believe the French Press method is good for stronger flavor because you can vary the time you steep the coffee. The longer it brews the stronger the flavor. You can vary the bean you use with any method, and that's another way to get the strength you want. A percolator is another way to extract more flavor out of your coffee, but if it boils too long it can extract a bitter flavor in my opinion.

I just think that pour over methods, including drip coffee makers like Mr. Coffee, while convenient, only pulls flavor from the coffee while the water is moving through. It makes sense to me that the full flavor I get comes from steeping the coffee longer. I use a dark roast whole bean and coarse-grind enough for one 4 cup French Press pot. For the beans I use, 4 minutes is the perfect steep time for me. There's still so much flavor left in the coffee that after I empty the pot, I pour fresh boiling water into the French Press and make a second pot of full flavored coffee with the same grounds.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Thanks.

I think one difference in the 1800 and 1900 is that 1800 uses cone filter and 1900 uses flat bottom filter. Any thoughts on this?
Reviewing my manual for the 1800, it says you can make any amount from 2-8 cups (a "cup" in this case is 4oz) so you could do that. It does mention that your results will be better brewing 6-8, but I've made as few as 4 without a noticeable drop in quality. I'm not an expert, but I would think using a cone shaped filter for such a small pot would be better since you would have a longer vertical distance that the water would be in contact with the coffee. If you don't get satisfactory results with that Technivorm does make a single serve brewer called the Cup-One. I'd hesitate to go for that though, since it's more expensive ($219 on Amazon) and limits you if you ever decided you wanted more than one cup or wanted to make a pot of coffee for a group.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm

aeropress

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 pm
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Thanks.

Reviewing my manual for the 1800, it says you can make any amount from 2-8 cups (a "cup" in this case is 4oz) so you could do that. It does mention that your results will be better brewing 6-8, but I've made as few as 4 without a noticeable drop in quality. I'm not an expert, but I would think using a cone shaped filter for such a small pot would be better since you would have a longer vertical distance that the water would be in contact with the coffee. If you don't get satisfactory results with that Technivorm does make a single serve brewer called the Cup-One. I'd hesitate to go for that though, since it's more expensive ($219 on Amazon) and limits you if you ever decided you wanted more than one cup or wanted to make a pot of coffee for a group.
Thanks. One more thing.

I see that only the 1800 and 1900 models of Bonavita are SCAA certified:
http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Researching online, I read that the smaller 1500 isn't SCAA certified because it heats the water more than what they consider desirable.
But elsewhere I've read that the only reason is that it's too small, and they only certify above a minimum volume.
Any thoughts on this?

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Thanks.

Thanks. One more thing.

Researching online, I read that the smaller 1500 isn't SCAA certified because it heats the water more than what they consider desirable.
But elsewhere I've read that the only reason is that it's too small, and they only certify above a minimum volume.
Any thoughts on this?

My experience backs up the idea of the 1500 being too hot, but I am just a sample of one. Also, the One-Cup is SCAA certified, so I don't think volume would preclude the 1500 from being certified.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 pm
kayanco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks. One more thing.

Any thoughts on this?

My experience backs up the idea of the 1500 being too hot, but I am just a sample of one. Also, the One-Cup is SCAA certified, so I don't think volume would preclude the 1500 from being certified.
Can you tell please, where do you see that the One-cup is SCAA certified?
If I go to the SCAA web site (http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2), I only see one listing for Technivorm, which is the Moccamaster. I don't see One-cup there.

Thanks.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

kayanco wrote:

If I go to the SCAA web site (http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2), I only see one listing for Technivorm, which is the Moccamaster. I don't see One-cup there.

Thanks.
Technivorm Moccamaster encompasses several different models, including the Cup-One. If you look under the differences between models and do they all produce the same quality tabs here https://us.moccamaster.com/faq in their FAQ, it backs up the Cup-One being SCAA certified.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:39 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
kayanco wrote:

Thanks.
Technivorm Moccamaster encompasses several different models, including the Cup-One. If you look under the differences between models and do they all produce the same quality tabs here https://us.moccamaster.com/faq in their FAQ, it backs up the Cup-One being SCAA certified.
Thank you.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Just now I cycled water through the Bonavita 1500 and measured with two different thermometers, 179 degrees F. Repeated, still 179 F.
That's much lower than 195°-205°F stated on the website and recommend by SCAA.

Am I missing something? I hope that was the right way how I measured it?

jeroly

Post by jeroly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am
Aeropress or french press. Both delicious, but different. They are cheap enough to try both. My only suggestion for french press is to go with stainless steel. I used to use glass Bodum but after breaking a few I made the switch to stainless (thanks bogleheads for that suggestion!).
+1

I use a French press at home and an Aeropress at my girlfriend's. They both make great coffee. The French press is great for making two cups at a time, not possible with the Aeropress.

FYI, Ikea sells a cheaper-than-Bodum glass French press that works just as well.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Just now I cycled water through the Bonavita 1500 and measured with two different thermometers, 179 degrees F. Repeated, still 179 F.

Hmmm... That is very odd. I just ran my 1800 and using my instant read thermometer the water dripping out of the spray head got up to about 202, hovered around 199-200 after it got warmed up. You can affect the temperature slightly by putting warmer or cooler water in the reservoir, but I used water from our Brita pitcher that stays in the fridge so my results should be on the low end.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Hmmm... That is very odd. I just ran my 1800 and using my instant read thermometer the water dripping out of the spray head got up to about 202, hovered around 199-200 after it got warmed up. You can affect the temperature slightly by putting warmer or cooler water in the reservoir, but I used water from our Brita pitcher that stays in the fridge so my results should be on the low end.
Thanks for that data point :)

Maybe I'll try out the 1900/1800 then. I really hope it can make a single 8 oz cup also.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 am

baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Hi baseballbogle,

Could you do me a favor and tell me if the water in your 1800 reaches that 200 temp right away, as soon as it starts dripping?

I did another experiment today. I thought that maybe on my 1500 it took a while for the water to reach the max temp. So I filled it up fully and let 3/4th pour put, then I quickly removed the carafe (without switching off the machine) and placed a mug underneath, and put in a digital thermometer, as the remaining water started pouring over it. The temp never crossed 180.

I was wondering if the 1800 reached it's 200 temp right at the start?

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 am

kayanco wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 am
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:
baseballbogle wrote:
kayanco wrote:

$76.48, almost 50% off.

Hi baseballbogle,

Could you do me a favor and tell me if the water in your 1800 reaches that 200 temp right away, as soon as it starts dripping?

I did another experiment today. I thought that maybe on my 1500 it took a while for the water to reach the max temp. So I filled it up fully and let 3/4th pour put, then I quickly removed the carafe (without switching off the machine) and placed a mug underneath, and put in a digital thermometer, as the remaining water started pouring over it. The temp never crossed 180.

I was wondering if the 1800 reached it's 200 temp right at the start?
It sounds like you are measuring the temperature in a mug after it's fallen through the air and then landed in a room temperature mug. That will cool it and potentially enough to account for the temperature difference. If you've got an instant read thermometer then measure at the spray head.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Hyperborea wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 am

It sounds like you are measuring the temperature in a mug after it's fallen through the air and then landed in a room temperature mug. That will cool it and potentially enough to account for the temperature difference. If you've got an instant read thermometer then measure at the spray head.
Kayanco:

Hyperborea is exactly correct. I'm measuring the temperature of the water as it comes out of the spray head, which is what you'll want to do to check the temperature of your 1500.

It took me about 30 seconds to minute to reach the temperature when running 4 cups through my 1800.
Last edited by baseballbogle on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

Edited: Words added to last post.
Last edited by baseballbogle on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am

kayanco wrote:
OP, how far down the coffee rabbit hole do you want to go?

This Bonavita is considered entry level for specialty coffee so there are some compromises. But there are ways to improve your outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7M5x_-EmM

The important water temperature is inside the coffee bed, not in the cup. If your temps are still too low, preheating the system can help a lot. Remember, what matters is the taste in the cup.

THE most important piece of coffee making equipment is a decent burr grinder. The best ways to adjust the strength and flavor of the coffee output is by changing the grind size and changing the dose(weight of ground coffee beans used). Another way is adjusting water temperature, but I don't think that's a setting on the Bonavita (but you can play around with preheating).

Running more/less water through the coffee is generally not a good way to adjust strength and flavor because it will typically result in either concentrated sour coffee, or dilute bitter coffee.

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/ ... ffee-myth/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

baseballbogle wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am
Hyperborea wrote:

Kayanco:

Hyperborea is exactly correct. I'm measuring the temperature of the water as it comes out of the spray head, which is what you'll want to do to check the temperature of your 1500.

It took me about 30 seconds to minute to reach the temperature when running 4 cups through my 1800.
I did that also, I have a digital thermometer (which says instant on the package). I held it right under the water-heard (above the filter basket), and the temp was 180. Next time, I just placed it in the mug and the water was falling directly over it, still 180.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am

smackboy1 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am
kayanco wrote:
OP, how far down the coffee rabbit hole do you want to go?

This Bonavita is considered entry level for specialty coffee so there are some compromises. But there are ways to improve your outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7M5x_-EmM

The important water temperature is inside the coffee bed, not in the cup. If your temps are still too low, preheating the system can help a lot. Remember, what matters is the taste in the cup.

THE most important piece of coffee making equipment is a decent burr grinder. The best ways to adjust the strength and flavor of the coffee output is by changing the grind size and changing the dose(weight of ground coffee beans used). Another way is adjusting water temperature, but I don't think that's a setting on the Bonavita (but you can play around with preheating).

Running more/less water through the coffee is generally not a good way to adjust strength and flavor because it will typically result in either concentrated sour coffee, or dilute bitter coffee.

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/ ... ffee-myth/

Thanks for this post. Can you please explain what you mean by "preheating" and how to do it?

Thanks.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am
baseballbogle wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am
Hyperborea wrote:

Kayanco:

I did that also, I have a digital thermometer (which says instant on the package). I held it right under the water-heard (above the filter basket), and the temp was 180. Next time, I just placed it in the mug and the water was falling directly over it, still 180.
I would say your best options from here then are to return the 1500 as defective (it shouldn't be that cool) and then decide between the Cup-One or 1800/1900. If you're sure that you'll only ever want to make one mug at a time, it may be worth it to go ahead and get the SCAA certified machine that's purpose built to brew only 10oz at a time. I'll try to make 8oz with my 1800 this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm
I'll try to make 8oz with my 1800 this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.
Thank you, that'll be awesome.

Please also note the temp you get for this 8 oz?
(I wonder whether for the larger capacity machines, the water is at the correct temp right away or if it gets there after some water has passed through).

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm

baseballbogle wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm
I'll try to make 8oz with my 1800 this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.
Thank you, that'll be awesome.

Please also note the temp you get for this 8 oz?
(I wonder whether for the larger capacity machines, the water is at the correct temp right away or if it gets there after some water has passed through).

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm

So I made 2 "cups" in my 1800 this afternoon, and I didn't notice any real negative effects from making such a small batch. It's not a perfect comparison since I didn't have any of this morning's with me to compare, but I was pleased by the results. I measured up to 205 at one point, but it was closer to 197-199 most of the brewing process. I don't know if you've experienced this yet, but the carafe design for all of these Bonavitas is really quite awful, and you'll never be able to get the complete amount that is in the carafe out. Even after removing the lid of the carafe my small mug was maybe 75% full, so you'd probably want to aim for more like 3 cups if you want to have a full mug.
Last edited by baseballbogle on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm

kayanco wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am
Thanks for this post. Can you please explain what you mean by "preheating" and how to do it?
It's the first tip at 22 secs in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7M5x_-EmM&t=0m22s

You pour boiling hot water into the empty paper filter, holder and carafe to warm everything up and to minimize heat loss when the water drops from the showerhead through the system. Then dump the water and being brewing immediately. It also washes any paper dust and chemicals from the filter so it doesn't impart any flavor to the coffee.

Here's what it looks like for pour over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_VHmYMuE0&t=13s
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 am

baseballbogle wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:37 pm
So I made 2 "cups" in my 1800 this afternoon, and I didn't notice any real negative effects from making such a small batch. It's not a perfect comparison since I didn't have any of this morning's with me to compare, but I was pleased by the results. I measured up to 205 at one point, but it was closer to 197-199 most of the brewing process. I don't know if you've experience this yet, but the carafe design for all of these Bonavitas is really quite awful, and you'll never be able to get the complete amount that is in the carafe out. Even after removing the lid of the carafe my small mug was maybe 75% full, so you'd probably want to aim for more like 3 cups if you want to have a full mug.
Thanks so much. This was really helpful.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 am

smackboy1 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm
kayanco wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am
It's the first tip at 22 secs in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7M5x_-EmM&t=0m22s

You pour boiling hot water into the empty paper filter, holder and carafe to warm everything up and to minimize heat loss when the water drops from the showerhead through the system. Then dump the water and being brewing immediately. It also washes any paper dust and chemicals from the filter so it doesn't impart any flavor to the coffee.

Here's what it looks like for pour over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_VHmYMuE0&t=13s
Thank you.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm
Lots of ways to get strong coffee including cowboy coffee as you describe. Pourover methods would probably be better if you want to go that route.

Why not get a Bialetti Moka Express? It's easy to use, makes a strong cup of coffee, you can add more or less coffee and adjust the grind to change the strength, it doesn't use filters, and it will last indefinitely. Only drawback is dealing with the spent grinds.
Can you use drip coffee pre-ground grinds in a Moka pot? What will happen?

And what about using espresso ground in a drip coffee maker?

Thanks.