Suggest coffee maker please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Suggest coffee maker please

Post by kayanco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi guys,

Can you please recommend an easy to use coffee maker, for less than $100. I'm looking for one that let's you select the strength.

I bought a $30 Mr. Coffee, which has a "strong" button, but it doesn't make much difference as far as I can tell.

I'm even thinking one way is to just add coffee ground to water and heat over stove and then drain over a filter. This would let me adjust the strength by reducing the water or adding a little more coffee.

Thanks for your guidance.

DaftInvestor

Re: Suggest coffee maker please

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Don't all standard coffee makers allow you to adjust the strength? - you just add a couple of extra tablespoons of ground coffee - does something prevent you from doing that?

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm

I have been using this 'pour-over' one:
https://www.amazon.com/Cilio-Porcelain- ... ords=cilio

Place it atop your mug, add as much grounds as you want, slowly pour some boiling water, done.
Keep it simple.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Lots of ways to get strong coffee including cowboy coffee as you describe. Pourover methods would probably be better if you want to go that route.

Why not get a Bialetti Moka Express? It's easy to use, makes a strong cup of coffee, you can add more or less coffee and adjust the grind to change the strength, it doesn't use filters, and it will last indefinitely. Only drawback is dealing with the spent grinds.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

weltschmerz wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm
I have been using this 'pour-over' one:
https://www.amazon.com/Cilio-Porcelain- ... ords=cilio

Place it atop your mug, add as much grounds as you want, slowly pour some boiling water, done.
Keep it simple.
I have a question on this method. The filter basket on my coffee maker is also advertised to be usable as a 'pour-over' by placing on top of a mug:
https://i.imgur.com/JqH6hDy.png

I heated some coffee over stovetop and used this filter basket with paper filter to pour the coffee. But only half cup came out, rest of the liquid remained on the filter. Even though the bulk of the coffee grounds had settled in the heating pan itself, and didn't even get poured over the filter (in other words, it's not that the filter got clogged). I'm guessing that the same filter works in the drip machine because there's steam inside creating pressure over the filter, maybe?

Second question, I saw somewhere that after you get the coffee from pour-over, you can run it over the grinds again to make it stronger. Have you tried this?

Thanks.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 pm
Don't all standard coffee makers allow you to adjust the strength? - you just add a couple of extra tablespoons of ground coffee - does something prevent you from doing that?
I don't know dear, I'm trying for the 1st time. I used two tablespoons of coffee but it didn't feel strong like the drip coffee from Starbucks. If I put 3 tablespoons, that looks like a lot of coffee.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

$7 Melitta, 100 #2 coffee filters, electric kettle.

Under $30 total you can make coffee as strong as you want. Cup after cup.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

I agree with the suggestion of a purpose-designed pour-over model, as opposed to a drip coffee maker with hot water applied. For more than two decades I've been happy with my Militta plastic cone with a readily-available #2 filter in it. Very little coffee ends up being absorbed into the filter. The one-cup size (enough for a 10-oz or so mug) means every cup is freshly brewed. There exist larger sizes in case you're brewing for two, or more. You control the strength by choosing the grind and how much to put in. There are instructions. Follow them for best results.

There exist cheap knock-offs, but they don't work as well because they let the liquid flow out too quickly. Sometimes it's worth it to pay more for the best. Sometimes even as much as two dollars more.

PJW

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Take a look at the bonaVITA wide base porcelain immersion dripper, model# BV4000IDV2. Makes great coffee. Will need a water kettle or another way to heat the water:
http://bonavitaworld.com/products/wide- ... on-dripper

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm

kayanco wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't know dear, I'm trying for the 1st time. I used two tablespoons of coffee but it didn't feel strong like the drip coffee from Starbucks. If I put 3 tablespoons, that looks like a lot of coffee.
The reason Starbuck's coffee seems "strong" may have more to do with the type of bean and the roast rather than how much coffee they use.

It's also possible that your drip coffeemaker is not getting the water hot enough.

When using your basket as a pourover filter, try using a finer grind and pour in stages. If you pour the coffee through twice, it isn't going to be hot enough the second time to do much. https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... /pour-over

Maybe try a french press. That is like the cowboy method you tried but more convenient. You can let it brew longer for more extraction.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 pm

In a drip coffee maker there is no significant pressure from the steam. You need a closed and sealed pressure vessel to get above atmospheric pressure. This would be a metal espresso maker for example.

For single cups cone filters may be easier to use than the flat Mr. Coffee basket. If a flat bottom basket is slightly tilted some of the coffee grounds may not participate in the brewing.

I use 1/3 cup (technically 5.3 tablespoons, probably closer to 6 in practice, for a 12 cup (6 mug) drip machine). 2 Tbsp for a single cup should be more than enough.

Also check if you have the correct grind. Filter coffee should typically use a fine grind, since the contact time with the water is short and the filter prevents fines from getting into the cup. French press or cowboy coffee usually uses a courser grind.

freckles01

Post by freckles01 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm

aeropress!

makes a concentrated brew with no mess or disposable filters if using a stainless mesh filter- strong and keeps the oils

otherwise a pour over- uses filters but makes a great cup too- slower, requires more attention, cleaner less oils

french press? percolator? both messier but makes a strong cup too

i've gone thru a bunch of different methods but aeropress makes a consistently great strong brew that's easy cleanup and dummy proof... assuming you are starting with good beans, burr grinder, filtered water and correct temp :happy

neveragain

Post by neveragain » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 pm

I've had a Krupps and it worked pretty well.

I wouldn't recommend a Keurig. They're big, take up a lot of space on the counter, and the K cups are expensive unless you get a really good sale. (They also aren't good for the environment as they wind up in landfills and don't decompose).

I've actually switched to drinking instant coffee because it saves about $200 a year versus buying K-cups for the Keurig. So, I drink Taster's choice brand instant coffee and it's good, not better than Starbuck's, but good.

I've also had a Mr. Coffee and it lasted about 3 years, used it every day.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I have been using a percolater to brew my coffee.

I also course grind the coffee beans.

Great tasting and great aroma.

Don

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm

I believe in the power of simplicity. French press. Whole beans from good roaster (I get Colorado roasts from Whole Foods) which grind each morning. You can play with amount of coffee beans until you get desired strength. And the grounds make great fertilizer for Vanda orchids outside. Good luck.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:20 pm

After daily use for a couple months I'm a huge "clever dripper" fan. Simple, easy to clean, infinitely adjustable strength and oh so clever.
https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dr ... 8SDWJHN4TX

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Buy better coffee! :)

namekevaste

Post by namekevaste » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

You may want to try the Aeropress that gets great reviews

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Chemex might fill the bill - http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 pm

freckles01 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm
aeropress!

makes a concentrated brew with no mess or disposable filters if using a stainless mesh filter- strong and keeps the oils

otherwise a pour over- uses filters but makes a great cup too- slower, requires more attention, cleaner less oils

french press? percolator? both messier but makes a strong cup too

i've gone thru a bunch of different methods but aeropress makes a consistently great strong brew that's easy cleanup and dummy proof... assuming you are starting with good beans, burr grinder, filtered water and correct temp :happy
+1 on Aeropress, plus the good beans, burr grinder, filtered water and correct temp.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 pm
Lots of ways to get strong coffee including cowboy coffee as you describe. Pourover methods would probably be better if you want to go that route.

Why not get a Bialetti Moka Express? It's easy to use, makes a strong cup of coffee, you can add more or less coffee and adjust the grind to change the strength, it doesn't use filters, and it will last indefinitely. Only drawback is dealing with the spent grinds.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at the Moka pot and looks like a good idea. Can you tell me please how time consuming it is, especially on the clean up? Because what I like about the drip machine is that it's really quick to clean, i.e. just remove the filter and that's it. Similarly, quick to fill with grounds at start.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 am

kayanco wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 pm
I looked at the Moka pot and looks like a good idea. Can you tell me please how time consuming it is, especially on the clean up? Because what I like about the drip machine is that it's really quick to clean, i.e. just remove the filter and that's it. Similarly, quick to fill with grounds at start.
It has a metal filter cup that holds the grinds. You have to dump the grinds out into the garbage and maybe wipe once or twice with your finger before rinsing it if you don't have a garbage disposal on your sink. You can also take the top reservoir off an leave it open to air and the grinds will dry out and then dump out completely. You also need to rinse out the water reservoir on the bottom and the coffee reservoir on the top. I take everything apart including the disc filter and gasket and wash it all with soap and water maybe every two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ccwuVDHGs

I don't find it to be much trouble and prefer it to having to stock filters and I much prefer the coffee it makes. It is not a true espresso because the pressure is not as high as in a true espresso machine, but I like it best.

If you want to be able to just dump a filter in the garbage and quickly rinse out the pot, then you might prefer any method that uses a paper filter over a moka pot, Aeropress, french press, etc. Maybe try the pour-over with a cone filter. You can get a cone and filters for under $10 and that's all you really need. A tea kettle or other vessel with a spout makes it easier to evenly pour the water, but you can use any pot that you will boil water.

sdsailing

Post by sdsailing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 am

1. Correct grind, for which you need a decent grinder.
2. Correct ratio of coffee to water.

3. Method(drip, French press, Melita, vacuum, etc.).
4. Water temp.
5. Coffee type and quality.

All four of the above interact with each other. Drip machines mostly benefit from 1 and 2 adjustments. Others may also be affected by 4. You can get excellent coffee from a drip maker or any other choice of method, of you attend to optimizing 1 and 2. All are affected by 5, and all 5 variables interact with each other.

I don't think a strength adjustment on a drip machine will have much affect, in comparison to the importance of the 5 items on the above list.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 am

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm
kayanco wrote:

The reason Starbuck's coffee seems "strong" may have more to do with the type of bean and the roast rather than how much coffee they use.

It's also possible that your drip coffeemaker is not getting the water hot enough.

When using your basket as a pourover filter, try using a finer grind and pour in stages. If you pour the coffee through twice, it isn't going to be hot enough the second time to do much. https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... /pour-over

Maybe try a french press. That is like the cowboy method you tried but more convenient. You can let it brew longer for more extraction.
OP - Starbucks tends to use dark-roasted beans - if you are looking for a deeper taste you might try a darker roasted bean. If you like the flavor of your current coffee and really do just want it stronger I would certainly start by simple adding a bit more coffee. If the coffee maker isn't heating the water at a high enough temp you could try de-scaling it before buying a new coffee maker.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 am

I use French Press.
(I would have thought its simplicity appealed to Bogleheads.....)

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 am

French press. Just add more beans if u want it darker. Always grind the beans at time of brewing. Clip on thermometer for pot, make sure water is 198f

Pour over and aero press also excellent options.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am

oh, and i've found the water source is a big influence on flavor (I prefer the spring water coming out the hill down the road over my reverse osmosis system....must be all the healthy "contaminants")

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 am

I've used the Cuisinarts for many years and they make great coffee (better than Starbucks IMO). They never break in my experience. The Cuisinart DCC-3400 12-Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker, Stainless Steel for $107 on Amazon is the best pick. They have a glass-beaker version too, but I like the sturdy stainless steel one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6T5QNO/re ... 7804884312

bgf

Post by bgf » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 am

“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 am

If it is just for you then a french press is great. Sort of like cowboy coffee, but with a strainer.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 am

I own virtually all of the coffee maker types suggested here - from plain pour-overs and french presses to a Chemex and an Aeropress. All have their charms. If you just want a simple, regular coffee maker though, I like the Cuisinart suggested above. We've been using one similar since the kids were born and I could no longer grind fresh coffee in the morning without waking the whole house. Replace the paper filters with a gold cone filter available separately for less waste and an even better tasting cup. It's not the best coffee maker ever, but it's easy, reliable, and very good for automatic.

The biggest changes are going to be 1) the quality of your coffee, 2) the ratio of coffee to water, and 3) the fresher the better. However, Starbucks pre-ground makes a perfectly acceptable cup by most standards with the above maker. If you are uncertain of the ratio, spend $20 and buy a cheap digital scale. The 'golden ratio' is 18:1 water to coffee. So measure your weight of water you want to brew. Divide by 18. Measure out that much coffee. Perfect cup every time.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 am
Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm
kayanco wrote:

OP - Starbucks tends to use dark-roasted beans - if you are looking for a deeper taste you might try a darker roasted bean. If you like the flavor of your current coffee and really do just want it stronger I would certainly start by simple adding a bit more coffee. If the coffee maker isn't heating the water at a high enough temp you could try de-scaling it before buying a new coffee maker.
Will try this. Thanks.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

kayanco wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Two tablespoons is generally recommended for every six ounces of water which is a tiny coffee cup. Generally for an average sized coffee cup, we always go with three to four scoops depending on the coffee beans.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 pm
In a drip coffee maker there is no significant pressure from the steam. You need a closed and sealed pressure vessel to get above atmospheric pressure. This would be a metal espresso maker for example.

For single cups cone filters may be easier to use than the flat Mr. Coffee basket. If a flat bottom basket is slightly tilted some of the coffee grounds may not participate in the brewing.

I use 1/3 cup (technically 5.3 tablespoons, probably closer to 6 in practice, for a 12 cup (6 mug) drip machine). 2 Tbsp for a single cup should be more than enough.

Also check if you have the correct grind. Filter coffee should typically use a fine grind, since the contact time with the water is short and the filter prevents fines from getting into the cup. French press or cowboy coffee usually uses a courser grind.
jdb wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:12 pm
I believe in the power of simplicity. French press. Whole beans from good roaster (I get Colorado roasts from Whole Foods) which grind each morning. You can play with amount of coffee beans until you get desired strength. And the grounds make great fertilizer for Vanda orchids outside. Good luck.
sdsailing wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 am
1. Correct grind, for which you need a decent grinder.
2. Correct ratio of coffee to water.

3. Method(drip, French press, Melita, vacuum, etc.).
4. Water temp.
5. Coffee type and quality.

All four of the above interact with each other. Drip machines mostly benefit from 1 and 2 adjustments. Others may also be affected by 4. You can get excellent coffee from a drip maker or any other choice of method, of you attend to optimizing 1 and 2. All are affected by 5, and all 5 variables interact with each other.

I don't think a strength adjustment on a drip machine will have much affect, in comparison to the importance of the 5 items on the above list.
Cycle wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 am
French press. Just add more beans if u want it darker. Always grind the beans at time of brewing. Clip on thermometer for pot, make sure water is 198f

Pour over and aero press also excellent options.
Thanks all.

I'm new to all these different methods, but isn't pour-over very similar to cowboy coffee (heat over stove then pour through a filter)? Also, french press seems very similar to previous two methods. I mean if the same filter is used, these 3 methods appear same to me.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am
Thanks all.

I'm new to all these different methods, but isn't pour-over very similar to cowboy coffee (heat over stove then pour through a filter)? Also, french press seems very similar to previous two methods. I mean if the same filter is used, these 3 methods appear same to me.

Can someone clarify please?

Thanks.
Cowboy coffee is brewed with the grounds in the cup, no filter. You let the grounds settle and don't drink very fast. :D

Pour-over is the same basic method as used by most 'automatic' coffee makers, except you heat the water in a kettle and pour it over by hand. Typically a paper filter is used. The difference is you have more control over water temperature and the rate the water pours.

A french press is similar to cowboy coffee in that the grounds and water steep together, but it includes a metal plunger to separate the grounds from the coffee. Makes an excellent cup, will typically have a high level of 'fine' coffee grounds which increases the 'body' of the cup - makes it a bit thicker.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am
Pour-over is the same basic method as used by most 'automatic' coffee makers, except you heat the water in a kettle and pour it over by hand. Typically a paper filter is used. The difference is you have more control over water temperature and the rate the water pours.
Know that the perfect temperature for coffee water is between 195 and 205 F with closest to 205 F being the best. Too cold or too hot and you end up with bitter or burnt coffee. For reference, boiling is 212 F.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am
kayanco wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Two tablespoons is generally recommended for every six ounces of water which is a tiny coffee cup. Generally for an average sized coffee cup, we always go with three to four scoops depending on the coffee beans.
Is your one scoop is equal to one tablespoon? And is it medium grind or fine grind that you are talking about?

I have Starbucks pre-ground Colombian medium roast (and I believe the grind is medium). Using 2 tbsp it comes out very diluted. But at the store I sometimes get their drip coffee (Pike Place, which is also medium roast), and it seems much stronger. Even if I add extra creamer or whole milk, the flavor stays strong and even the color looks 'full'. When I make at home, as soon as I add cream or milk, it even looks watery.

I will try adding more next time and see.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am
kayanco wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
Is your one scoop is equal to one tablespoon? And is it medium grind or fine grind that you are talking about?

I have Starbucks pre-ground Colombian medium roast (and I believe the grind is medium). Using 2 tbsp it comes out very diluted. But at the store I sometimes get their drip coffee (Pike Place, which is also medium roast), and it seems much stronger. Even if I add extra creamer or whole milk, the flavor stays strong and even the color looks 'full'. When I make at home, as soon as I add cream or milk, it even looks watery.

Look at the directions on the side of the bag/can/container of coffee. Almost all that I have bought have directions there. Six ounces of water is a little more than half of what a standard coffee mug holds so if you only put 2 Tbsp for a full mug, you are making it at nearly half the recommended strength.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 am

kayanco wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm
... The filter basket on my coffee maker is also advertised to be usable as a 'pour-over' by placing on top of a mug:

I heated some coffee over stovetop and used this filter basket with paper filter to pour the coffee. But only half cup came out, rest of the liquid remained on the filter. Even though the bulk of the coffee grounds had settled in the heating pan itself, and didn't even get poured over the filter (in other words, it's not that the filter got clogged). I'm guessing that the same filter works in the drip machine because there's steam inside creating pressure over the filter, maybe?
Does someone have an explanation for this? i.e. why isn't all the coffee filtering through?

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

How much water are you using per 2Tbsp? You need to consider both sides of the equation.

1Tbsp is ~8g (but an imprecise way of measuring).

If you want to make 4 six-ounce cups of coffee, that would take ~38g of coffee at 18:1 ratio. Or about 5Tbsp. Adjust the ratio up or down to suit your taste.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am

kayanco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 am

Does someone have an explanation for this? i.e. why isn't all the coffee filtering through?
The coffee beans absorb a lot of water and a paper filter absorbs some, too. If you have a scale, you can weigh before and after or just go by the difference in the volume you pour in vs. the coffee that comes out to see how much. This is true with any method but it is more noticeable when you are making just one cup.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm
$7 Melitta, 100 #2 coffee filters, electric kettle.

Under $30 total you can make coffee as strong as you want. Cup after cup.
+1
I use the Melitta pour over with 10cup capacity. I find it an excellent compromise between bland auto-brew makers and expensive methods, burr grinders, Technivorm, etc. (you can spend a lot getting obsessive about this). Make it as strong as you like it with little clean up; rinse plastic cone and glass carafe. Buy filters in bulk from Amazon. Cost is extremely reasonable.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am

Dudley wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am
oh, and i've found the water source is a big influence on flavor (I prefer the spring water coming out the hill down the road over my reverse osmosis system....must be all the healthy "contaminants")
I prefer melted glacier ice myself.

You might be interested in chapter two of this book even though the subject is tea rather than coffee:

https://books.google.com/books?id=xrjWA ... &q&f=false

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

Aeropress or french press. Both delicious, but different. They are cheap enough to try both. My only suggestion for french press is to go with stainless steel. I used to use glass Bodum but after breaking a few I made the switch to stainless (thanks bogleheads for that suggestion!).

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am
Manual gives more control in that you can choose how hot the water is, how fast you pour, and the pattern of pouring the water. On the other hand unless you are really focused the automatic coffee maker will be more consistent, it does the same thing every time.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Also if you want consistency you'll get more consistency using a bigger scoop of the right size. E.g. quarter cup instead of four level tablespoons. If you can't find a scoop of the right size use a larger one and add a few marbles. I've found things like "four heaped tablespoons" have a large variation. Weight is even better but most people don't have a scale handy.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm

I use an electric percolator. Currently a Hamilton Beach 12 cup. Easy, consistent, great strong coffee. Thats because they get the water super hot. Not like those crap drip coffee makers. You just match the scoops to the amount of cups. Use a coffee scoop not a tablespoon measurement. About $50. I use Chock full of nuts coffee. Nothing fancy. Everyone will rave how delicious your coffee is. Especially you.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm

El Greco wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm
I use an electric percolator. Currently a Hamilton Beach 12 cup. Easy, consistent, great strong coffee. Thats because they get the water super hot. Not like those crap drip coffee makers. You just match the scoops to the amount of cups. Use a coffee scoop not a tablespoon measurement. About $50. I use Chock full of nuts coffee. Nothing fancy. Everyone will rave how delicious your coffee is. Especially you.
+1

I have a Hamilton Beach 12 cup and a Cuisinart 12 cup. Both make great coffee.

I grind my own beans; I use 8 O'clock coffee beans.

Really smooth coffee.

Don

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 pm

If you like strong coffee, I would recommend French Press. Pour-over is going to be pretty similar to drip, the water just drains right through. French Press makes a much more robust flavor because the coffee steeps in the hot water as long as you want.

Also, you probably want to get a good grinder. I hope you're not using a whirly blade spice grinder. That is more likely the source of your issue than the brew method.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Another thing to consider when comparing all these different coffeemakers is the cleanup.

Pour-over: very easy cleanup. All the coffee grinds are contained within a disposable filter. Pick up the filter with the grinds and throw it away (or compost). Rinse out the small pour over cone and let it dry.

Aeropress: easy cleanup. When you plunge the coffee into your mug, you're also plunging the coffee grinds to the very bottom of the aeropress. Once you plunge all the coffee out, you're left with a small puck of grinds. Unscrew the end, and then plunge the puck into the trash. You'll have a few grinds leftover on the rubber end of the plunger that you'll have to rinse off.

French press: annoying cleanup. Once you pour all the coffee into your mug, you're left with all the grinds on the bottom of the french press. You'll then need a spoon or spatula to scoop out all the grinds into the trash. This can get messy.

Chemex: unwieldy cleanup. Cleaning up the grinds is easy as it is the same as any other pour over. However, I find it unwieldy to cleanup the bottom bowl of the chemex apparatus.

I enjoy the manual process of making my coffee. The grinding, measuring, pouring...it's all very zen for me. However, I do want the cleanup to be as quick and easy as possible.