Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
dodgy55
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 am

Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dodgy55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

Over the past several years I have had a number of different newspaper delivery persons. Most have been the type that drive by at 40 miles an hour and fling the paper out the passenger side window. This delivery method while efficient, at times results in my needing to get on my knees and crawl under my parked car or fish in the bushes for my daily copy. A few have actually made the effort to place the paper in the designated tube located at the street side of the front yard. Our newest delivery person seems to be a young gal and she does a great job in delivering the paper early in the morning and placing it in the tube. Because of her efforts I would like to give her a satisfactory tip. To give some context I have delivery five days per week and the monthly cost is around $35. Any thoughts on the appropriate tip amount?
Fond memories are the best investment

dbr
Posts: 27990
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dbr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

No less than $5/month for starters. An issue would be finding a way to communicate why she is getting the tip. If you could make clear the tip is for getting the paper where you want it I would say $10/month would be worth the service.

The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common. We complained to our paper about the same problem and were simply told throwing the paper anywhere meets their standard for delivery. In short they told us to go to H. Why we still take delivery is a domestic issue. I wouldn't read this particular paper online either, especially not with the attitude they have toward their customer base and it is a lousy paper.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 am

Since she is new, I would include a $20 bill along with a note stating that you appreciate the early delivery into the tube. They you can tip more later. If you think she will be around at the end of the year, December is the usual time for that.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3669
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am
The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common.
Our newspaper requires its delivery people to place it on the front porch. Occasionally they miss the mark but 95% of the time it is within a few feet of my front door. I usually tip them $20 at Christmas time.

dbr
Posts: 27990
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dbr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am
The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common.
Our newspaper requires its delivery people to place it on the front porch. Occasionally they miss the mark but 95% of the time it is within a few feet of my front door. I usually tip them $20 at Christmas time.
Our paper used to do that. One of their CSRs lied to me that this is still their standard, but other CSRs have made clear it is not.

User avatar
EyeYield
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Extremistan

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by EyeYield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am

I've often wondered if I'm tipping too little, so this thread may give me some perspective.
I send the carrier $50 at Christmas time for good service.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

Ping Pong
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Ping Pong » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

It sounds like I need to see if I can get a job as a paper delivery person at the beginning of December and quit at the end of the month.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3669
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am
It sounds like I need to see if I can get a job as a paper delivery person at the beginning of December and quit at the end of the month.
I actually think this is quite common. Often in January I will notice a different person is delivering papers.

123
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by 123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

We're in a HCOL area and get a couple of newspapers daily, all delivered by the same carrier. If we've had the same carrier all year (for the most part) we'll tip $100 at Christmas. If it's less than a year we adjust it. We can usually identify a change in carrier due to a difference in paper placement, the current one is right on with his/her aim at the front door, often hear a couple of thumps at 6:30 a.m. We had one carrier that would honk at us from a 1/2 block away if he spotted us getting into our car before he made his delivery so we wouldn't head off to work without our papers.

And then there have been other carriers where the service has been, to put it mildly, "variable".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

MGBGTV8
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by MGBGTV8 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

20 years ago, a good tip for 7 day delivery was about a dollar a week, and that was when the subscriptions costs like $2 a week, and I would go door to door on my bike and "collect." I would imagine for some who hits the tube and keeps your paper in good condition $10/month is OK. Maybe more if they hit your porch, even if its just on Sunday.

miamivice
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by miamivice » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.

retiringwhen
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

miamivice wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm
Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.
In the 1970s i made at least 20% on tips delivering newspapers. When did this change? I haven't gotten a newspaper in 15 years......

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5235
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm

EyeYield wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am
I've often wondered if I'm tipping too little, so this thread may give me some perspective.
I send the carrier $50 at Christmas time for good service.
I am cheap. My carrier delivers the newspaper at my mailbox in a newspaper slot there, but sometimes, in the Christmas season (lots of ads), it is thrown on the driveway, but the paper is in a plastic bag. I have been giving $50 at Christmas, although I gave only $30 the last time. The reason for the lower amount last year was that some days I did not get the paper.

edit:

In 1948 to 1951 at ages 13 to 17, I delivered newspapers on my bicycle to up to 150 (90 in my youngest year) customers at 4 to 6:30 am before school, 7 days a week, in the dark, in rain and cold, even a hurricane one year and I had to collect my money by knocking on the subscriber's door every Saturday and Sunday (50 to 60 cents a week) and sometimes during the week if I couldn't get them at home on the weekend. Sometimes I had to wait a month or more to get MY money. In other words, I was loaning the subscriber my money, not the newspaper...as the newpaper called me an independent carrier. The newspaper would never be out as I had to pay my weekly papers even if I did not collect. I didn't get many tips.
Those were the days, but I never regret that I did. That taught me so much and gave me money which I would not have had otherwise.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4361
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm
miamivice wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm
Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.
In the 1970s i made at least 20% on tips delivering newspapers. When did this change? I haven't gotten a newspaper in 15 years......
I haven't had a newspaper in years but back when I got one and it was delivered with the person coming to the door to collect money for the actual paper they would certainly be tipped. Fast forward 10 years later to suburban drive-by car delivery and every couple of weeks there would be a "thank you" note from the delivery person with an attached self-addressed envelope - pretty obvious what that envelope was to be used for. It always seemed like a tipped profession to me.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 8575
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm

My son delivered papers last summer and because Sundays were huge, I would come out and help on Sundays.

Some things to know: In the contract with the distributor, delivery guys get no days off. Never, ever, not one. Next, they have to get the paper to the door by a set time. This includes when the incoming trucks are 6 hours late. The guys show up early at the warehouse to get papers before the trucks come in so they have some chance of delivering on time. My son would be at the warehouse by 11:30pm for a 2:30am expected truck. They use their own cars, get paid on 1099's, get zero mileage and have to pay for the bags they are required to put the papers into. My son put 10k miles a month on the car during the summer. Some was personal mileage but most was from deliveries. Of course, he's going to get to pay both sides of payroll taxes.

Customers will put in instructions. Deliver to tube....deliver to stairs....deliver to back door.....deliver to basket next to door. Some of these absolutely require getting out of the car and walking 100 yards to do. Delivery guys have the code to the gates of gated communities, which of course requires getting out of the car and walking to the code box going in and coming out. A typical route is 250 papers. In my son's case, on a Sunday, papers filled an entire Subaru Outback including all seat, cargo and floor areas and of course the dash.

Tips paid through the normal online payment system had the distributor's cut, the credit card fee and a convenience fee removed before being given to the paper deliverer. So your $20 tip might make $17 to the guy doing the work. Cash is very much appreciated and a $20 is so rare that for an entire 2 months, my son knows who it was, where the house is and forever appreciates that person's generosity.

Complaints: Because of a class action law suit, the papers cannot doc pay for complaints. Before this, a complaint resulted in the fee to deliver that paper being held back. When people complained enough, they would no longer get a delivery because.....well.....nobody was being paid to deliver any longer. Not the case anymore. There are people who literally complain every single day. When you complain every single day and leave instructions to knock on the door at 7:30 and hand them the paper, you're getting a 40 mph toss out the window.

In the very little time I spent helping my son, I came to really appreciate delivery people.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 6482
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I delivered papers in college. We didn't get or expect tips. I don't tip now.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
EyeYield
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Extremistan

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by EyeYield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm
EyeYield wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am
I've often wondered if I'm tipping too little, so this thread may give me some perspective.
I send the carrier $50 at Christmas time for good service.
I am cheap. My carrier delivers the newspaper at my mailbox in a newspaper slot there, but sometimes, in the Christmas season (lots of ads), it is thrown on the driveway, but the paper is in a plastic bag. I have been giving $50 at Christmas, although I gave only $30 the last time. The reason for the lower amount last year was that some days I did not get the paper.

edit:

In 1948 to 1951 at ages 13 to 17, I delivered newspapers on my bicycle to up to 150 (90 in my youngest year) customers at 4 to 6:30 am before school, 7 days a week, in the dark, in rain and cold, even a hurricane one year and I had to collect my money by knocking on the subscriber's door every Saturday and Sunday (50 to 60 cents a week) and sometimes during the week if I couldn't get them at home on the weekend. Sometimes I had to wait a month or more to get MY money. In other words, I was loaning the subscriber my money, not the newspaper...as the newpaper called me an independent carrier. The newspaper would never be out as I had to pay my weekly papers even if I did not collect. I didn't get many tips.
Those were the days, but I never regret that I did. That taught me so much and gave me money which I would not have had otherwise.
I resemble that story, albeit starting 15 years later.

I had a regular carrier for years who always threw the paper over my back fence and right on the back porch. About six years ago my carrier changed right after I had knee surgery. The paper was all over the back yard and I couldn't get down the steps to get it without a lot of pain. After talking to the manager, he arranged to have the carrier meet with me so I could show her what I wanted. Since we didn't speak each other's language, we both had the manager on the phone to interpret.
She went ballistic. After calming her down, I threw her a paper and asked her to throw it on the porch. She nailed it perfectly and I praised her for it and ever since she has nailed it perfectly 99% of the time. The effort deserves a tip imo.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

GW208
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by GW208 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 pm

We've had the same delivery guy for several years now and give him a $100.00 tip at Christmas time. We get the paper 7 days a week.

User avatar
DanMahowny
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Years ago, I had a WSJ subscription. The girl that delivered the paper was fabulous.

I tipped her $100 at Christmas. Looking back, I probably should've gave her more.
Funding secured

TravelGeek
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

miamivice wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm
Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.
I guess I lived by that rule when I was actually subscribing to a paper newspaper about 15 years ago. In fact, it would have been inconvenient to tip because the delivery people would drive through our little quite street at 5am-ish and toss newspapers into people's driveways. I don't think I would have been motivated enough to wait outside my house to hand over a tip. I suppose I could have called the paper to ask for an address or other mechanism to tip. Instead I called to complain when they repeatedly didn't honor the vacation hold (resulting in us coming back to a pile of newspapers in the driveway), which they ignored. Then I cancelled and they still kept delivering the now unpaid paper. Wait, what was this thread about? ;)

(now happily subscribing to two digital national newspapers, even though I will admit that I sometimes miss the Sunday mornings of going through the paper edition over a cup of coffee)

mariezzz
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by mariezzz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 am
Since she is new, I would include a $20 bill along with a note stating that you appreciate the early delivery into the tube. They you can tip more later. If you think she will be around at the end of the year, December is the usual time for that.
I agree with the $20 to start with. But I would give more frequent tips (perhaps monthly, but smaller than the initial). You're rewarding behavior that you like, and which benefits you. She will appreciate it - and she'll be rewarded for going the extra mile from the beginning (without you even having to ask).

You can give a little more at Christmas, but she'll get more benefit from tips spread out throughout the year, and it may encourage her to stay with this job.

I spent almost 7 years delivering papers as a kid. Tips are appreciated. They mean a lot more to an adult with a paper route (for reasons others have stated), but are/were very much appreciated by kids. I also had to go around collecting money for the paper, and I knew exactly where the customer wanted the paper and I put it there. This meant a little extra work on my part (most wanted it between the screen & door). I never threw it at all. A few customers wanted an unreasonably early delivery, which I didn't accommodate, but papers were delivered by the time they were supposed to be.

likegarden
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by likegarden » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 am

Our newspaper gets delivered into a box underneath the mail box. We pay around 15% tip.

Queen
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Queen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:25 pm

Gone are the days when Newspaper delivery was not a tip job. The Newspaper companies pay stipends to People who drive their cars,buy gas,pay for plastic bags and rubber bands then lie to customers that the delivery will be by their porch or doors.
I had a problem with my carrier who started by bringing it to my door but after few months, started tossing it anywhere including my roof. I called the office and they apologized and still it didn't change. I threatened to cancel but he kept tossing the paper anywhere. For few days I didnt get any paper because he quit. After then,never had a stable carrier. I went to a cafe one day and in a general discussion, I realized that the Newspaper carriers are paid stipends with the promise of tips. I felt bad because the first carrier I had was punctual and on time. You need to tip your Newspaper carrier weekly or monthly and at Christmas too. My Friend gives $7 a week to her carrier and she puts it by her door.
The Newspaper will not tell you the truth,sometimes it os better to talk to your carriers

likegarden
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by likegarden » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 pm

One of the newspapers we read gets delivered. I pay every 10 weeks via mail to the newspaper, and add 10% as a tip to the newspaper deliverer. But reading here, I should increase the tip to 20%. It gets delivered to a tube below the mail box. After a recent snow storm I noticed the delivery lady had to get out of the car and climb over deep snow the plow had left.

corysold
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by corysold » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 am

As a carrier for almost 12 years now, hopefully I can add to this discussion.

When I first started, I earned $530 week for one route of about 275 daily papers and 500 on Sunday. That included a gas reimbursement of $50/week and my route was about 28 miles a day.

Today, I have 3.5 routes that total 55 miles a day for 240 daily papers and 440 on Sunday. That's how many customers have stopped getting the paper. We lost our gas subsidy. I now earn $430/week. So I need to drive twice as far to make 80% of what I used to. That is why you see drivers flinging papers, we need to do more to earn less. That said, I do my best to make reliable, easy to find deliveries every day. But not everything is in my control.

If the papers arrive late, I'm late.
If it's icy and windy, your paper might blow off your driveway.
If the snowplowers bury your paper I placed on the porch, can't do much about it.
If you have 4 cars in driveway, my aim is good, but not that good. It might slide under your car. And so on.

I earn 12.5 cents a paper for daily delivery and 25 cents on Sunday. A dollar a week, $52/year to deliver a paper daily. My expenses run around $250/month for gas, plus whatever insurance, oil changes, car payment, etc. It isn't at all a lucrative job. As noted, it's also every day. I haven't had a scheduled day off in 11+ years. I've had 5 days for the birth of children and 3 days this year where ice storms made it impossible to deliver. Otherwise, I've worked every day. Had to pull over a few times to throw up from stomach bugs, but if I don't deliver, no one does and I don't get paid. So 8 days off in 11 years, waking up at 2:30 everyday.

-55 windchill this year? Worked, with my window frozen down so I could throw the paper out.
8+" of snow? Delivered in that multiple times.
Pouring rain and thunderstorms? Still get out and put the paper on 20+ porches who request it.

It's a hard job for very little pay. I only do it because it makes sense for our family for a bit longer. But I understand why there is so much turnover. I at least make a decent amount for the year. I can't imagine doing it for $150/week like many do. We had 15 carriers when I started, we have 6 now.

All that isn't to say that you should tip more, but I hope it puts into perspective what the carriers go through. Tips are nice, but what really is great is a note of appreciation or a nice wave and smile in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of bad carriers who don't care. I try my best, but even with that, there are still days when deliveries aren't perfect. I signed up for the job and know its pitfalls, just trying to give an idea of what the job entails.

stoptothink
Posts: 4866
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 am

corysold wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:39 am
As a carrier for almost 12 years now, hopefully I can add to this discussion.

When I first started, I earned $530 week for one route of about 275 daily papers and 500 on Sunday. That included a gas reimbursement of $50/week and my route was about 28 miles a day.

Today, I have 3.5 routes that total 55 miles a day for 240 daily papers and 440 on Sunday. That's how many customers have stopped getting the paper. We lost our gas subsidy. I now earn $430/week. So I need to drive twice as far to make 80% of what I used to. That is why you see drivers flinging papers, we need to do more to earn less. That said, I do my best to make reliable, easy to find deliveries every day. But not everything is in my control.

If the papers arrive late, I'm late.
If it's icy and windy, your paper might blow off your driveway.
If the snowplowers bury your paper I placed on the porch, can't do much about it.
If you have 4 cars in driveway, my aim is good, but not that good. It might slide under your car. And so on.

I earn 12.5 cents a paper for daily delivery and 25 cents on Sunday. A dollar a week, $52/year to deliver a paper daily. My expenses run around $250/month for gas, plus whatever insurance, oil changes, car payment, etc. It isn't at all a lucrative job. As noted, it's also every day. I haven't had a scheduled day off in 11+ years. I've had 5 days for the birth of children and 3 days this year where ice storms made it impossible to deliver. Otherwise, I've worked every day. Had to pull over a few times to throw up from stomach bugs, but if I don't deliver, no one does and I don't get paid. So 8 days off in 11 years, waking up at 2:30 everyday.

-55 windchill this year? Worked, with my window frozen down so I could throw the paper out.
8+" of snow? Delivered in that multiple times.
Pouring rain and thunderstorms? Still get out and put the paper on 20+ porches who request it.

It's a hard job for very little pay. I only do it because it makes sense for our family for a bit longer. But I understand why there is so much turnover. I at least make a decent amount for the year. I can't imagine doing it for $150/week like many do. We had 15 carriers when I started, we have 6 now.

All that isn't to say that you should tip more, but I hope it puts into perspective what the carriers go through. Tips are nice, but what really is great is a note of appreciation or a nice wave and smile in the morning. I'm sure there are a bunch of bad carriers who don't care. I try my best, but even with that, there are still days when deliveries aren't perfect. I signed up for the job and know its pitfalls, just trying to give an idea of what the job entails.
This is a great example of why physical newspapers soon won't exist. I'm totally shocked that (some) people actually still buy them.

EddyB
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by EddyB » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 am

retiringwhen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm
miamivice wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm
Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.
In the 1970s i made at least 20% on tips delivering newspapers. When did this change? I haven't gotten a newspaper in 15 years......
Same for me in the mid-80s.

NewOldGuy
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by NewOldGuy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37 am

Had my route in 1969 7th grade. Hung the bags on my handlebars and delivered about 80 customers 7 days a week. The folding, bagging and ugh.. Sunday inserts. Thank goodness for apartment complexes where I could fling 7-8 papers in one stop. If I saw a tip it was usually around Christmas time and it may have been a bag of brownies. I hand collected every month for every customer. It was hard work.

dknightd
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dknightd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:02 pm

dodgy55 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am
our newest delivery person seems to be a young gal and she does a great job in delivering the paper early in the morning and placing it in the tube. Because of her efforts I would like to give her a satisfactory tip. To give some context I have delivery five days per week and the monthly cost is around $35. Any thoughts on the appropriate tip amount?
I'd leave them $20, in an envelope, in the tube. To recognize their great service. After that I'd put $10 every once in while. 20% is about right IMO. They would be looking for a tip in the box, you would find your paper in the box. Win Win.

sport
Posts: 7743
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by sport » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:45 pm

I used to send a tip at holiday time in the envelope my carrier provided. However, once in a while, the plastic bag would tear and the paper would get completely soaked on a rainy day. The carrier had asked that we contact her and not the newspaper when we have problems. But, when we call her, the voice mail is full, or she does not respond. So, I stopped sending tips.

Raabe34
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Raabe34 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

I delivered papers in the late 80s early 90s from grade 2 to grade 6 in a town of 300 with a route of 30 some papers. 6 day/week and made $50/mo. This included all the put it between doors, walk in garage and avoid dogs ect. I remember some very small tips at Christmas and I remember a model of the USS Missouri I put together with my dad.

Now my 11yo has a route in a town of 1000 and has been doing it for a year. It's a hilly place that and he has 20ish papers and is making $60/mo and has pretty custom instructions. He didn't add it up at Christmas but it was easily over $150 and allowed the purchase of a playstation 4. He's been getting smaller ones regularly and gets an unknown amount of snacks from these nice old ladies that I don't remember getting.

So I think tipping is growing for this type of service.

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by GoldStar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Queen wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:25 pm
Gone are the days when Newspaper delivery was not a tip job.
Funny - I thought it was ALWAYS a tip job. When I was a kid 40 years ago the delivery person used to come door-to-door to collect payment once a week and my parents were always sure to tip. As payment methods shifted over the decades delivery folks were always sure to let you know who they were so you could be sure to tip them.
I haven't had a paper delivered in almost 10 years now but when I did - I always tipped - always thought it was the custom for delivery (versus running out to pick it up somewhere). To me paper delivery is similar to pizza delivery. If you want it delivered you tip the delivery person. If not - go pick it up yourself.
Perhaps in some areas of the county it wasn't or isn't customary. Where I live it has been customary for decades.

sport
Posts: 7743
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by sport » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:31 pm

When I delivered papers in the 1950's, tips were uncommon, except at holiday time. The price for a full week delivery was 62 cents. Papers were 25 cents for the Sunday paper and 7 cents for the daily. My profit of the 62 cents was 17 cents. The typical holiday tip was $1.00.

Here is an example of the kind of service I had to provide:
I delivered to one house that was 3 levels with families on each level. There was a common back hallway. I entered the house, delivered to the first floor, then walked up the steps to the second floor where I left two papers. I also had to collect weekly, and went through the same path to get paid my 62 cents. Worse than that, I had to pay for the papers whether or not I collected for them. So, if no one was home when I collected, I had to go back. It usually took 3 times through the route to collect from *almost* everyone.

dekecarver
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dekecarver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:38 pm

I delivered the morning paper to 165 customers, ~5 mile loop, on porch by 0630, as a teenager (walking/bike) for 4 years. I didn't expect tips but around Christmas time I was greeted with kind smiles and some exceptional Morgans.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:40 pm

I get my paper delivered by an adult in a vehicle around 4-5AM. They get paid a salary by a delivery company to deliver 1/2 dozen different papers. I don't tip anything, I'm paying for a paper and the paper pays the delivery company and they pay her salary.

I've never seen so many people post on a forum about how much to tip for this and for that. Saw a "how much to tip Home Depot guys for loading stuff" today...

I tip at a restaurant. That's it.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 6482
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 pm
Funny - I thought it was ALWAYS a tip job. When I was a kid 40 years ago the delivery person used to come door-to-door to collect payment once a week and my parents were always sure to tip.
Were not talking about kids on a bike for the most part. These are adults in vans and such. As I said above, I did that while in college. We rarely got tips.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

SandysDad
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by SandysDad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I delivered papers as a kid. What I remember was zero tips all year and then big money at Christmas.
What I learned then and still observe now about tipping.
You give everyone the same service. Some people tip well and some tip little or nothing BUT what was true then and is true now is “the complainers” tip the least even with the same service.
Basically there are a subset of people who will always complain so that to them they feel their non tipping is justified. Pretty sad comment on some folks in society

Post Reply