Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dodgy55

Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dodgy55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

Over the past several years I have had a number of different newspaper delivery persons. Most have been the type that drive by at 40 miles an hour and fling the paper out the passenger side window. This delivery method while efficient, at times results in my needing to get on my knees and crawl under my parked car or fish in the bushes for my daily copy. A few have actually made the effort to place the paper in the designated tube located at the street side of the front yard. Our newest delivery person seems to be a young gal and she does a great job in delivering the paper early in the morning and placing it in the tube. Because of her efforts I would like to give her a satisfactory tip. To give some context I have delivery five days per week and the monthly cost is around $35. Any thoughts on the appropriate tip amount?
Fond memories are the best investment

dbr

Re: Tip amount for daily newspaper delivery

Post by dbr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

No less than $5/month for starters. An issue would be finding a way to communicate why she is getting the tip. If you could make clear the tip is for getting the paper where you want it I would say $10/month would be worth the service.

The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common. We complained to our paper about the same problem and were simply told throwing the paper anywhere meets their standard for delivery. In short they told us to go to H. Why we still take delivery is a domestic issue. I wouldn't read this particular paper online either, especially not with the attitude they have toward their customer base and it is a lousy paper.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 am

Since she is new, I would include a $20 bill along with a note stating that you appreciate the early delivery into the tube. They you can tip more later. If you think she will be around at the end of the year, December is the usual time for that.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am

dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am
The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common.
Our newspaper requires its delivery people to place it on the front porch. Occasionally they miss the mark but 95% of the time it is within a few feet of my front door. I usually tip them $20 at Christmas time.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 am
dbr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am
The delivery standard your paper adheres to seems to be common.
Our newspaper requires its delivery people to place it on the front porch. Occasionally they miss the mark but 95% of the time it is within a few feet of my front door. I usually tip them $20 at Christmas time.
Our paper used to do that. One of their CSRs lied to me that this is still their standard, but other CSRs have made clear it is not.

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am

I've often wondered if I'm tipping too little, so this thread may give me some perspective.
I send the carrier $50 at Christmas time for good service.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

It sounds like I need to see if I can get a job as a paper delivery person at the beginning of December and quit at the end of the month.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am
It sounds like I need to see if I can get a job as a paper delivery person at the beginning of December and quit at the end of the month.
I actually think this is quite common. Often in January I will notice a different person is delivering papers.

Post by 123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

We're in a HCOL area and get a couple of newspapers daily, all delivered by the same carrier. If we've had the same carrier all year (for the most part) we'll tip $100 at Christmas. If it's less than a year we adjust it. We can usually identify a change in carrier due to a difference in paper placement, the current one is right on with his/her aim at the front door, often hear a couple of thumps at 6:30 a.m. We had one carrier that would honk at us from a 1/2 block away if he spotted us getting into our car before he made his delivery so we wouldn't head off to work without our papers.

And then there have been other carriers where the service has been, to put it mildly, "variable".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

20 years ago, a good tip for 7 day delivery was about a dollar a week, and that was when the subscriptions costs like $2 a week, and I would go door to door on my bike and "collect." I would imagine for some who hits the tube and keeps your paper in good condition $10/month is OK. Maybe more if they hit your porch, even if its just on Sunday.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Newspaper delivery is not a tipped profession.

Ensuring the newspaper is properly delivered is part of the job/contract.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm

miamivice wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 pm

In the 1970s i made at least 20% on tips delivering newspapers. When did this change? I haven't gotten a newspaper in 15 years......

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm

EyeYield wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am
I've often wondered if I'm tipping too little, so this thread may give me some perspective.
I am cheap. My carrier delivers the newspaper at my mailbox in a newspaper slot there, but sometimes, in the Christmas season (lots of ads), it is thrown on the driveway, but the paper is in a plastic bag. I have been giving $50 at Christmas, although I gave only $30 the last time. The reason for the lower amount last year was that some days I did not get the paper.

edit:

In 1948 to 1951 at ages 13 to 17, I delivered newspapers on my bicycle to up to 150 (90 in my youngest year) customers at 4 to 6:30 am before school, 7 days a week, in the dark, in rain and cold, even a hurricane one year and I had to collect my money by knocking on the subscriber's door every Saturday and Sunday (50 to 60 cents a week) and sometimes during the week if I couldn't get them at home on the weekend. Sometimes I had to wait a month or more to get MY money. In other words, I was loaning the subscriber my money, not the newspaper...as the newpaper called me an independent carrier. The newspaper would never be out as I had to pay my weekly papers even if I did not collect. I didn't get many tips.
Those were the days, but I never regret that I did. That taught me so much and gave me money which I would not have had otherwise.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm
miamivice wrote:

In the 1970s i made at least 20% on tips delivering newspapers. When did this change? I haven't gotten a newspaper in 15 years......
I haven't had a newspaper in years but back when I got one and it was delivered with the person coming to the door to collect money for the actual paper they would certainly be tipped. Fast forward 10 years later to suburban drive-by car delivery and every couple of weeks there would be a "thank you" note from the delivery person with an attached self-addressed envelope - pretty obvious what that envelope was to be used for. It always seemed like a tipped profession to me.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm

My son delivered papers last summer and because Sundays were huge, I would come out and help on Sundays.

Some things to know: In the contract with the distributor, delivery guys get no days off. Never, ever, not one. Next, they have to get the paper to the door by a set time. This includes when the incoming trucks are 6 hours late. The guys show up early at the warehouse to get papers before the trucks come in so they have some chance of delivering on time. My son would be at the warehouse by 11:30pm for a 2:30am expected truck. They use their own cars, get paid on 1099's, get zero mileage and have to pay for the bags they are required to put the papers into. My son put 10k miles a month on the car during the summer. Some was personal mileage but most was from deliveries. Of course, he's going to get to pay both sides of payroll taxes.

Customers will put in instructions. Deliver to tube....deliver to stairs....deliver to back door.....deliver to basket next to door. Some of these absolutely require getting out of the car and walking 100 yards to do. Delivery guys have the code to the gates of gated communities, which of course requires getting out of the car and walking to the code box going in and coming out. A typical route is 250 papers. In my son's case, on a Sunday, papers filled an entire Subaru Outback including all seat, cargo and floor areas and of course the dash.

Tips paid through the normal online payment system had the distributor's cut, the credit card fee and a convenience fee removed before being given to the paper deliverer. So your $20 tip might make $17 to the guy doing the work. Cash is very much appreciated and a $20 is so rare that for an entire 2 months, my son knows who it was, where the house is and forever appreciates that person's generosity.

Complaints: Because of a class action law suit, the papers cannot doc pay for complaints. Before this, a complaint resulted in the fee to deliver that paper being held back. When people complained enough, they would no longer get a delivery because.....well.....nobody was being paid to deliver any longer. Not the case anymore. There are people who literally complain every single day. When you complain every single day and leave instructions to knock on the door at 7:30 and hand them the paper, you're getting a 40 mph toss out the window.

In the very little time I spent helping my son, I came to really appreciate delivery people.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I delivered papers in college. We didn't get or expect tips. I don't tip now.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm
EyeYield wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am
I am cheap. My carrier delivers the newspaper at my mailbox in a newspaper slot there, but sometimes, in the Christmas season (lots of ads), it is thrown on the driveway, but the paper is in a plastic bag. I have been giving $50 at Christmas, although I gave only $30 the last time. The reason for the lower amount last year was that some days I did not get the paper.

edit:

In 1948 to 1951 at ages 13 to 17, I delivered newspapers on my bicycle to up to 150 (90 in my youngest year) customers at 4 to 6:30 am before school, 7 days a week, in the dark, in rain and cold, even a hurricane one year and I had to collect my money by knocking on the subscriber's door every Saturday and Sunday (50 to 60 cents a week) and sometimes during the week if I couldn't get them at home on the weekend. Sometimes I had to wait a month or more to get MY money. In other words, I was loaning the subscriber my money, not the newspaper...as the newpaper called me an independent carrier. The newspaper would never be out as I had to pay my weekly papers even if I did not collect. I didn't get many tips.
Those were the days, but I never regret that I did. That taught me so much and gave me money which I would not have had otherwise.
I resemble that story, albeit starting 15 years later.

I had a regular carrier for years who always threw the paper over my back fence and right on the back porch. About six years ago my carrier changed right after I had knee surgery. The paper was all over the back yard and I couldn't get down the steps to get it without a lot of pain. After talking to the manager, he arranged to have the carrier meet with me so I could show her what I wanted. Since we didn't speak each other's language, we both had the manager on the phone to interpret.
She went ballistic. After calming her down, I threw her a paper and asked her to throw it on the porch. She nailed it perfectly and I praised her for it and ever since she has nailed it perfectly 99% of the time. The effort deserves a tip imo.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

GW208

Post by GW208 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 pm

We've had the same delivery guy for several years now and give him a $100.00 tip at Christmas time. We get the paper 7 days a week.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Years ago, I had a WSJ subscription. The girl that delivered the paper was fabulous.

I tipped her $100 at Christmas. Looking back, I probably should've gave her more.
Funding secured

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

miamivice wrote:

I guess I lived by that rule when I was actually subscribing to a paper newspaper about 15 years ago. In fact, it would have been inconvenient to tip because the delivery people would drive through our little quite street at 5am-ish and toss newspapers into people's driveways. I don't think I would have been motivated enough to wait outside my house to hand over a tip. I suppose I could have called the paper to ask for an address or other mechanism to tip. Instead I called to complain when they repeatedly didn't honor the vacation hold (resulting in us coming back to a pile of newspapers in the driveway), which they ignored. Then I cancelled and they still kept delivering the now unpaid paper. Wait, what was this thread about? ;)

(now happily subscribing to two digital national newspapers, even though I will admit that I sometimes miss the Sunday mornings of going through the paper edition over a cup of coffee)

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 am
Since she is new, I would include a $20 bill along with a note stating that you appreciate the early delivery into the tube. They you can tip more later. If you think she will be around at the end of the year, December is the usual time for that.
I agree with the $20 to start with. But I would give more frequent tips (perhaps monthly, but smaller than the initial). You're rewarding behavior that you like, and which benefits you. She will appreciate it - and she'll be rewarded for going the extra mile from the beginning (without you even having to ask).

You can give a little more at Christmas, but she'll get more benefit from tips spread out throughout the year, and it may encourage her to stay with this job.

I spent almost 7 years delivering papers as a kid. Tips are appreciated. They mean a lot more to an adult with a paper route (for reasons others have stated), but are/were very much appreciated by kids. I also had to go around collecting money for the paper, and I knew exactly where the customer wanted the paper and I put it there. This meant a little extra work on my part (most wanted it between the screen & door). I never threw it at all. A few customers wanted an unreasonably early delivery, which I didn't accommodate, but papers were delivered by the time they were supposed to be.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 am

Our newspaper gets delivered into a box underneath the mail box. We pay around 15% tip.