Who has had a pool?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
drdrgolf

Re: Who has had a pool?

Post by drdrgolf »

Fabulous !!
First pool a lined in-ground pool when the kids were in school and we thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of owning the pool. Living in MA the season was sort of short but it coincided with my summer vacation as a teacher.
Second pool, also in MA was a gunite in-ground and it was even better. I had left teaching and had a real paying job. No summer off but enough money to live it up. Kids were gone off to school or living in the big city with their jobs. We installed in-ground pool sweeps, inserts that practically did away with maintenance, almost all chemical additives and a state of the art filtering systems. It did such a great job my golf playing increased in place of weekend cleaning.If I bought a goat that would eat my grass It would of been nirvana.
Bottom line. If your family will get enjoyment from it, keep friends and family close then do it, now.
Good luck find a reputable installer.

Dominic
Dominic
AlD

Post by AlD »

jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:14 pm
AlD wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm Replace old power hungry 2HP pump with a variable speed pump ($1,600)
Were you happy with this replacement? I have thought about changing ours out. Our pump motor is very near the side of our sunroom and can be quite noisy. Does a variable speed pump run longer but slower than a typical single speed (we run ours for about 10 hours during the day)?
I am definitely happy with the variable speed (VS) pump. It is much quieter- you can barely hear it after the initial full throttle prime startup. As you mentioned, the increased efficiency comes from running it at lower speed with longer run times. The fluid dynamics behind the increased efficiency is solid; running the single speed 2HP (2,200 watt) is like trying to breathe through a small straw. The head pressure/friction generated by pushing water so quickly through 2" (or even worse, 1.5") pipe is really inefficient. It's similar to the physics of wind resistance in race cars...at a certain speed, the increase in HP required to make the car go just a few MPH faster increases exponentially because of the powerful effect of wind resistance at high speeds. Slower speed with the VS pump = less watts consumed, but also less head pressure (friction/resistence) so you end up pushing the same amount of water through the filter per day while consuming less electricity (despite the longer run time).

The variable speed pump also powers the pool sweep and a spa, so it's nice to be able adjust the speed/flow depending on what the pump is powering.

Another bonus is that in the winter I can run the pump at a lower RPM for the freeze protection feature. If you are just trying to keep the water in the pipe from freezing, you don't need the pump running full throttle. I don't winterize my pool because we don't have many cold spells below 32F, but when it does get that cold, this adds to the savings in electricity versus the single speed 2HP pump.

Note: I have found that the employees at the pool store (which I will never step foot in these days) and any pool service technician will almost always tell you to run the pump for a lot longer than really needed (which makes sense, since they never see the power bill, so what do they care). You can play around with run times to see what works for you so that you aren't burning electricity for no reason. I have actually found that I only need to run my pump for 3.5 hours at 800 watts (I think that's around 1,600RPM if I remember correctly) and my pool water looks great all summer long.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

smitcat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm
chambers136 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm
goblue100 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 pm People that are saying under $200 a year in chemical costs are delusional, or have kiddie pools.
Or we just understand how to maintain a pool?
Or you have greatly different sized pools in different areas of the country made or differing materials.
One size does not fit all with these answers.
I have a 31k gallon inground vinyl liner pool in central NC. I go through about 10 bags of salt per year, a little more than one pound of stabilizer, and on a very rare occasion.... some borax. Total cost = <$100.

Salt makes a difference. My neighbor built a pool the year after I did and after two years was complaining about his annual cost. That next spring, I helped him install a salt water chlorine generator.

OP
We installed our pool almost 7 years ago. I hired a local pool builder for the actual pool stuff, a friend for concrete and electric, and I did the fence and landscaping. We went with a Hayward Gold Line salt water chlorine generator, a Hayward Gold Line Automation control, A Pentair Variable speed pump, and a Pentair Cartridge filter. I also purchased and installed a safety cover myself. I read up on trouble free pool . com before during and after the process, and as a result, I have had a troublefreepool.

Here is kinda how our year goes...

March - remove safety cover, read salt PPM on controller and add any if necessary. Sometimes have to add a little water. Test CYA, add as needed (usually a pound). Clean the cartridge filters (usually only need to do this once per season).
April - October - Read salt PPM on controller once a week add if needed (only needed if it has rained a bunch and we had to drain water). Test Free Chlorine once a week just as a sanity check. Test CYA after any big rain / drain. Throw the robot in once or twice a week as needed.
November - When water reaches 60* I install the safety cover and turn pump off. No draining. We don't close it, we just cover it. If the temps get at or below 35*, the pump turns on at 800rpm. It gets below freezing often here.

My daughter was a baby when we built the pool and my son was 5. Since that time, we have had lots of fun out by the pool in the evenings after work, Friday Nights, and weekends. Our favorite is after a long day at the baseball fields on Saturday and Sunday to have the team over to cool down. My son's friends also come over a lot on non baseball weekends to hang out - makes me feel like the cool dad!

It really has been good for our family. Our only regret was not re-routing the septic lines to put the pool right off the back deck. If I could do that over, I certainly wood.

At any rate, check out troublefreepool for all the info you could ever need.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

I see some have already mentioned the danger of children drowning in pools. I don't know what to say about that as far as "should you have a pool" but I have participated in the rescue of a near-drowning child in a pool, and I now have a very strong opinion about pool liners.

If there is any chance there will ever be children in your pool, then your pool liner should be bright, solid, white.

Those lovely patterned pool liners act as camouflage. They make it more difficult to see a drowning child, especially later in the day.
SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving »

jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm
SocalLiving wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:22 pm 88-90 in the summer
Wow! When ours gets that hot we stop using it.
Then we leave the covers off at night and it drops a few degrees. But, yes, we do keep it pretty warm because we swim at night.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

We have owned a 38’ vinyl-liner in-ground pool in NJ for 15 years and would not be without one.

We installed in one-year after we purchased our home because my SO was school teacher and one son. The backyard was essentially useless during the hot summer months and it was tough to go to the beach everyday.

Currently, it is used 4-5 times per week from end of May – early September – no heater.

Opening - $250
Closing - $250
Chemical cost - $300 max.
Electric – minimal $10/month increase
Maintenance time – less than 15 minutes per week.

I do have a couple of recommendations:
• Make sure pool gets maximum sunlight and minimize area trees.
• Purchase a top-of-the-line robotic cleaner (~$1000) – I have never vacuumed my pool !!! I toss the robot in every Thursday night and pull it out Friday AM.
• If the pool is clear and pH balanced – do NOTHING. If a pool company tests your water, they will always tell you – you need “something.”
• Buy high quality urethane foam rafts
• Never buy any pool accessory with a “women” sitting on it, they will not support the men of the family and will get ruined quickly - likely the first time they sit or jump on it.
• If you are installing a new pool, remember landscaping cost in your budget, and remember it is a construction project, be present for all critical points.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

SocalLiving wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:48 pm
jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm
SocalLiving wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:22 pm 88-90 in the summer
Wow! When ours gets that hot we stop using it.
Then we leave the covers off at night and it drops a few degrees. But, yes, we do keep it pretty warm because we swim at night.
Yeah, with cooler nights you can shed some heat. Our problem comes when we get a stretch where the night doesn't drop below 78-80 and the humidity is high. Just can't dump the heat out of the water.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Meaty

Post by Meaty »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 am Who has had or built a pool, do you have kids, what kind did you have and how did/do you like it?

Unless you've owned a pool please don't respond with a pool is a waste of money, you should instead invest, play it super safe financially and watch your portfolio grow.
We put in an in ground fiberglass pool. Love it. I’m the summer it’s used almost daily.
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

I didn't read the other responses but my experience is people love to complain about pools and soon the pool haters dominate the discussion.

Inground plaster/gunite pool here. Love it! and swim daily when weather permits.

I installed higher end automated controls (salt generator/acid dispenser/robotic cleaner etc) and I find maintenance is minimal. I spend very little time, money on chemicals in a year (baking soda, calcium, stabilizer) and very little money on electricity (variable speed pump/LED lighting).

In 7 years maintenance parts hasn't totaled $200
longview

Post by longview »

:beer I grew up with a pool. Had a pool back when my kids are younger... and now live somewhere with a community pool.

I enjoyed the pool with my wife, it was fun with the kids... but in the off chance you have a choice I'd recommend the community pool over a personal pool. And the main reason is just that it was a heart-attack for me during the inevitable "pool parties."

With young kids you have a massive group of very young kids in your pool, and I definitely can't enjoy a cocktail or the game on TV. I've got to be in lifeguard range. With older kids then you need to worry about visitors doing something stupid... backward somersaults into the concrete, etc.

Now I hang out while the kids run around and community lifeguards yell at them to slow down. It's great. :wink: Just FWIW.

(Another pool horror story, I had a friend who has a neighboor child sneak into their pool and die during the night. This is the kind of stuff that always freaked me out about pools, especially in our litigious society. My solutions were an annoying/ugly pool fence and a massive umbrella policy.

The pool I grew up in was in the backyard, closed off by high walls and very hard to get to from the outside. I don't think my parents did it intentionally, but it added to the sense of safety and serenity.)
(To color my comments: my situation is ER trying to make a large portfolio that is 99% taxable last 45 years)
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

longview wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am :beer I grew up with a pool. Had a pool back when my kids are younger... and now live somewhere with a community pool.

I enjoyed the pool with my wife, it was fun with the kids... but in the off chance you have a choice I'd recommend the community pool over a personal pool. And the main reason is just that it was a heart-attack for me during the inevitable "pool parties."

With young kids you have a massive group of very young kids in your pool, and I definitely can't enjoy a cocktail or the game on TV. I've got to be in lifeguard range. With older kids then you need to worry about visitors doing something stupid... backward somersaults into the concrete, etc.

Now I hang out while the kids run around and community lifeguards yell at them to slow down. It's great. :wink: Just FWIW.

(Another pool horror story, I had a friend who has a neighboor child sneak into their pool and die during the night. This is the kind of stuff that always freaked me out about pools, especially in our litigious society. My solutions were an annoying/ugly pool fence and a massive umbrella policy.

The pool I grew up in was in the backyard, closed off by high walls and very hard to get to from the outside. I don't think my parents did it intentionally, but it added to the sense of safety and serenity.)
The post above is similar to our current pool strategy. We have friends with pools, and we belong to a community pool. We will even have pool parties and pay for pool admissions for the friends and families. This also gives us the ability to pick a different pool, recreation center, or regional park at different events, some of which have elaborate slides, wave pools, water mushrooms, water buckets, and other amenities normally found in water parks.

The other variant we've seen neighbors use is to buy above-ground pools or to buy/rent commercial inflatable water slides for specific events or parties. We've done that once or twice ourselves, but as the kids got older, they liked going to the big facilities better.

We're in a HCOL area, so these amenities exist. We still use pools a lot, but it doesn't have to be MY responsibility to take care of it.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We don’t have a pool. BUT...my parents have one, my brother has one, my sister in law has one, and my inlaws have one. My brother is filling his in. My inlaws prefer that they didn’t have it. My SIL and my parents love theirs. Different strokes for different folks.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If you have the option buy a house a few minutes from an outdoor pool, either private or HOA-related. You and the kids can use it as much as you like and get all the social benefits with full safeguards and no headaches for maintenance.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

We built an in ground pool in 2001 in Texas. Neither my wife nor I grew up with a pool, fyi. Our kids were 5,2 -4 months. The first 12 years were great. We were in it a lot especially from April to Nov. Nov-Mar it was only hot tub time. Once the kids aged to 14/15 they just weren't in it as much.

We have a gunite/plaster pool, diving board with 10-11ft deep end and an attached hot tub. @ 30K gallons with a Salt Water system.

The last 4-5 years it is rarely used. It believe it costs us about $200/mo to operate (water/elec/chemicals/maintenance). This does not include larger repairs for pumps/filter/salt system etc that do need to be repaired or replaced. Does not included the yearly replacement of pool toy's furniture for the deck/patio.

If I had to do it again (with younger kids) I would have had a lot more shallow area (3-3.5ft) and almost as flat as you can get it. I would also make sure I had a good space/set-up for basketball and volleyball. Also consider more ledge/seating around the shallow end for adults to sit and kids to stand on to play/jump/dive. I would go with a rock structure in the deep end for kids to jump off of instead of the diving board.

Things we did that I liked
1) PVC inserts in the deck for umbrellas to be shaded in the pool
2) Auto-fill is standard for replacing water in your pool.
3) Widened the Deck from standard 2ft to 3ft and increase deck area for seating/furniture
4) Extended a few steps/seating in shallow area (should have done more)

I also might move next door to people that had a pool and then be best friends with them. It's a little like a boat, ski condo, lake cabin -- don't have one BUT know someone that does. Now a days more and more communities are building pools within the neighborhoods or a community pool/water park.
Last edited by soccerrules on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 am Who has had or built a pool, do you have kids, what kind did you have and how did/do you like it?

Unless you've owned a pool please don't respond with a pool is a waste of money, you should instead invest, play it super safe financially and watch your portfolio grow.
I have a very high-end above ground pool with a deck built around it, so it looks like a built-in pool. It is one of those sturdy above-ground pools that last a lifetime. It is small but was still expensive because of the quality. It was one of the best things I did when I first moved into my house. We spent many hours back there in the summer when my daughter was small and now me and my wife still enjoy it!

My brother-in-law had a built-in-pool put in his backyard five years ago and feels the same way.

If you have small kids, please know the risks. It takes a second for them to find their way in the backyard. I believe there is a law where I live that a fence must be built around it.

I really get a lot of enjoyment in my pool.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Great thanks all. Someone asked my biggest concerns and I guess just making a mistake and wasting money. Wouldn't want to spend a lot and then decide to move (I don't think we will but never know), and get pennies on the dollar. We actually have a small 15' temporary "pool" that we really enjoyed the end of last season. We'll probably do that again this year, but part of me wants to go with a nice, fun, bigger and more social set up now. I know one pool company so I could see what they have to say and get some quotes.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

goblue100 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 am I have an in-ground pool. It's a waste of money, you should invest the money in a balanced fund instead. :)
I am serious, if I could go back and not do the pool, I would. I've threatened to fill it in, but my wife won't let me. I will say the 4 or 5 times we use it a year, it's ok, but I'd rather have put the initial expense $35,000 + the yearly upkeep ($2400) in a vacation fund and go to Caribbean or Hawaii more often. You will use it often the first year or two but once the novelty wears off and the kids get older, you most likely won't.
Same comment. The pool is awesome the 4-5 times a year we use it. But considering the upkeep the money would be much better spent somewhere else. I personally regret buying a house with a pool as it has been a huge money drain. We had to reline the pool recently for about $10k. Upkeep probably costs about $3k a year which means we are spending $600+ per swim and that does not include the new lining.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

If I had to guess you are using a service? Pool maintenance and water chemistry should not be expensive. As far as electricity goes, most people run their pumps way too much.
simple man

Post by simple man »

Have in ground pool in the south. Kids used it a bit when young and then just a huge money and work pit. Just got bids to fill in a 13 year old pool! About 8k + landscaping after that. Some of our neighbors did not pay for a pool but had a nice wooden playset. kids enjoyed it just as much for a lot less money and hassle. If i had to do over, that is what i would do.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Consider joining a pool. We joined a country club 2 miles away as "social" members, which means we just can't golf but pay way less money too. We use the pool 3-5x per week June-August for the last 4 years. They clean the pool, provide the towels, have a cabana for food/drinks, etc. The kids, wife, and I have met friends there. They took inexpensive swim lessons there. The pool is large an has 2 diving boards. We can play tennis or pickle ball at no extra cost, they can take junior golf, play in a large lawn next to the pool, etc. Cost total is about $5,000 per year. Seemed way better deal than putting in a pool to us.
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

We have an above ground pool, mostly used by our dogs for dock diving. I highly recommend the maintenance principles at troublefreepool.com. It takes just a few minutes a day to check and adjust the water chemistry.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Gill wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 am Much depends on where you live. I’ve lived in Florida 41 years and wouldn’t be without one. When I lived in Western New York, no thanks.
Gill

I agree here....depends on where you live. Ive had 3 pools. Would not be without one (I live in S FL and we use it every day). I owned one in MS and the buyer filled it in. It was a liability there.
rvflyer

Post by rvflyer »

We are in the warm southwest and had a 27000 gal lagoon style pool/hot tub installed in back yard when we bought a new house back in 2002. Had cost rolled into mortgage. Gemstone finish and diving board with shallow wet deck so kids/dog has a place to sit and cool off. No regrets however I will say now that we are empty nesters the pool does not get the same amount of use as the hot tub. Still some of the best exercise, especially for those with bad knees etc. Had roof solar added for pool water heating about 10 years ago to extend the season and retain heat. Our pool has no cover.

Started out with salt water chlorine generator but took it out-- salt water not good for cool deck, plants, and deck paint. We have to empty/refill pool every 2-3 years to reduce accumulated minerals/calcium. Keeping chemicals in balance not too challenging. I do the cleaning/maintenance myself to save $. I can't say that I will miss the maintenance part after 16 years but overall no regrets. Should be an attractive resale item for homes in the desert. If I was doing it today in mid-60s I would go for hot tub only option.

If installing a new pool pay attention to landscape plant/tree selections to minimize organic debris drop into pool.
C4NT

Post by C4NT »

Live in South Florida with young kids. We love our pool. I am going to install a heater next fall so we can use it year round.

If I didn't have kids I don't think I would want one though. The only times I go in is when the kids are in it.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

20k gallon pool here. Installed for kids. It's really expensive, hated paying for it, but for me a must have in Texas. Otherwise, summers here (DFW) are unbearable. I don't regret it. I doubt any homeowner association around here would allow an above ground pool, but i suppose it'll do the job if you can get away with it.
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

We put a salt water pool with heater in 5 years ago. It's a 20'x40' rectangular "sport" pool, starting at 3.5' to 4.5' deep with a 6'x20' sun shelf. I fought like crazy not to get the pool, but lost the battle. However, I now love it and don't regret the decision. You can do laps, play volleyball/basketball, or casually wade through the pool with a drink in your hand. Of course, the sun shelf is awesome to hang out on in your chair, and it's also great for pets and children.

We paid cash so yes, we could have easily made a nice chunk of change if we put that money in the stock market 5 years ago. But still wouldn't change it. Even if we aren't in it, we really enjoy how it improved the look of the backyard or just enjoy hanging around it.

Maintenance costs are only the costs we pay the company to open and close it. We live in the Northeast, and wouldn't change a thing.
Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce »

I don’t think anyone has mentioned adding water. Probably an insignificant cost, but, I’d quess, if it hasn’t rained in the last 2 weeks, we have to stick the hose in the pool and let it run for 20-30 mins.

I waste plenty of time, but never in the pool, I want to sink a mountain climber device in it, similar to this but pool compatible:
The stingy man pays the most. - Ray Magliozzi
Gatorbh

Post by Gatorbh »

We had one in Florida and mostly enjoyed it.

We figured the pump cost about $1/day in electricity to run.

What i would consider a significant consideration is placement in the yard. We had an in ground pool that wasn’t in the lowest spot but would “flood” from the surrounding yard multiple times each year during the typical large summer downpours. The yard runoff would completely ruin the pool chemistry. The water would take on various shades of green/brown. This would take several trips to the pool store to remedy. More than once we needed to do a substantial drain and refill to finally get things back on track.

Trees are also a consideration. Nice for shade in the hot summer sun. But one shed a stringy type of seed pod that had a tendency to clog the vacuum, the hose and even the piping where it made a sharp turn coming out of the ground going into the pump. Be aware that your weekly cleaning could become quite involved on occasion. We didn’t have a crawler cleaner and not sure how that would have handled some of this debris.

Lots of great memories. There are definitely worse ways to spend some disposable cash.
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

We have an in ground pool, installed in 2013. We waited until some financial goals were met and then pulled the trigger on it. My two cents...

1) We love it. 4 out of 5 of us are true water people. I have a friend that has one and while his kids go, he never does. Once in awhile, he will jump in to get wet, and then just hangs out by the pool. Not me and my wife and 2 of my kids...we get in the pool and stay in it. Even during the week, I probably take a dip most night...even when I don't feel like doing it...and I never regret doing it.

2) We have a fenced in yard, and an auto cover. We couldn't image not having the cover. I'm my area, you can have one or the other but you don't need both. My friend from above has a fence, but no cover. We just can't image not having the pool covered, even with a fence for a whole season. My kids are older, but my wife and I were very nervous about neighbor kids sneaking in and drowning..no way. And while we have a nice fence, no way did we want the nusance of having it locked all the time. We don't want to be answer the door or gate when we are swimming...just come on in. When we are not using the pool, or sitting around it, we close the cover, which is controlled by a switch that is inside a locking box. The cover can support the weight of several adults...it's like a big water bed. The cover also keeps heat in, and you use less chemicals since there's less evaporation and crap falling into the pool. And since it's an auto cover, a child can operate it. Again, we can't image leaving for a long weekend, all the while the pool is uncovered even with a fence....scary.

3) We live in a fairly middle/upper middle class neighborhood, and we live a fairly understated lifestyle. While I have a good job for Megacorp, when you see me at night, or on the weekends, I dress like I'm going to the gym or cutting the grass. While there are lots of pools in our subdivision, about 99% are above ground. When we put ours in, it seemed to almost to annoy some folks. When construction started, a few folks that we rarely spoke to called my wife...just for the sole purpose of asking about the pool, or would say "so I hear you're getting an in ground pool..why?" Or they would ask, what are you doing with your yard, and when we said, putting a pool in, then it would be established it was in ground, and we get a look like we just told them we were building an Ark in order to save ourselves from the 40 days of rain that's coming. A lot of this has passed, and the folks that we never talk to went back into the shadows and we just have fun with it with our friends and neighbors. I put this one in the same category is why I don't tell folks about paying off your mortgage. Most peeps just end up not feeling good about, and there's almost zero upside, so why tell. I still don't tell folks I have a pool unless for some reason it really comes up.
Bammerman

Worth it for us

Post by Bammerman »

I grew up in Florida in (for a number of my younger years) a house with a pool, and I swam all the time. Now we live in North Carolina. We bought an old house with an in-ground pool. Because of the climate, and the fact that ours is not a heated pool, the swimming season is only (part of) May through September. During the season I usually swim every day, although not for very long. Our house does not have central AC, and I enjoy cooling off in our pool. But the main attraction to the pool, now that we have young grandchildren living in town, is teaching them to swim, playing in the pool with them, and watching them enjoy the pool. Of course, having a pool is a hassle: I usually do something to it (e.g. cleaning the filter screen) every day or every other day or so. I pay the pool company to open the pool at the start of the season and close it at the end (putting a cover on it and weatherizing the pump) but I do all the other work myself. But since I'm retired and enjoy the pool, I don't mind this. We have always had a "Baquacil" chemical system (the same chemicals used in contact lens solution, and hydrogen peroxide) so the water never stings our eyes or stinks of chlorine. Of course we have to be extra vigilant (and personally present) when any children are around the pool.

Our pool is rather old. If it really "fell apart" one day, and it was going to cost a ton of money to fix/redo it, we'd have to really to think hard about whether to do that, or to have it taken out. But for now, we get a lot of pleasure from it during the warm months.
avenger

Post by avenger »

ThankYouJack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm Great thanks all. Someone asked my biggest concerns and I guess just making a mistake and wasting money. Wouldn't want to spend a lot and then decide to move (I don't think we will but never know), and get pennies on the dollar. We actually have a small 15' temporary "pool" that we really enjoyed the end of last season. We'll probably do that again this year, but part of me wants to go with a nice, fun, bigger and more social set up now. I know one pool company so I could see what they have to say and get some quotes.
Apologies in advance for resurrecting this thread. Did you ever put the pool in?

We are in the final stages of acquiring a permit from the city. Signed a contract with a contractor for an inground fiberglass pool in Chicago proper.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

avenger wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm Great thanks all. Someone asked my biggest concerns and I guess just making a mistake and wasting money. Wouldn't want to spend a lot and then decide to move (I don't think we will but never know), and get pennies on the dollar. We actually have a small 15' temporary "pool" that we really enjoyed the end of last season. We'll probably do that again this year, but part of me wants to go with a nice, fun, bigger and more social set up now. I know one pool company so I could see what they have to say and get some quotes.
Apologies in advance for resurrecting this thread. Did you ever put the pool in?

We are in the final stages of acquiring a permit from the city. Signed a contract with a contractor for an inground fiberglass pool in Chicago proper.
No, I'd still like to get one, but my wife isn't as keen on the idea (at least for now). Maybe some day. Enjoy yours!
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm
avenger wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:18 pm

No, I'd still like to get one, but my wife isn't as keen on the idea (at least for now). Maybe some day. Enjoy yours!
Listen to your wife is my advice!

We *have had* an inground pool in the past. (Neither of us wanted it when we bought 30 years ago but we both agreed the house was otherwise perfect and we had been searching for 18 months before we found this house with pool installed by previous owner.) It was fun for a couple months each year when the kids were young but a ton of work and quite substantial expense. I had it removed three years ago (also a considerable expense) and I am very happy not to have the expense, hassle, and worries that go with pool ownership. I now have a beautiful meadow and wooded backyard, no chemicals, much more environmentally friendly (lower carbon footprint as electric use has gone way down), no chemicals needed, no animals falling into my pool and dying there (voles, bunnies, frogs, once a skunk!), no worries about a neighbor child somehow getting in, no fences to repair and replace, no liners to replace, no mysterious things to diagnose and repair, no ton of leaves and large acorns to fish out, etc.

In retrospect, I wish we had bitten the bullet and filled it in right away 30 years ago.

If and when I want to use a pool, my town has a very nice outdoor pool available at low cost, not to mention the nice indoor ones available for modest membership cost at JCC, YMCA, etc.

That said, we are in Upstate NY. I might feel differently in the south.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

We put in our in-ground pool when we bought our house 20 years ago. Living in North Texas it is used a lot. We keep it open all year long but we normally don't swim after the end of September. We had the gunite tinted a beautiful blue, which helps heat the pool up naturally. But it also promotes algae growth since the pool water is warmer. We just brush down the pool when we see that happening. We used to manage the pool on our own, now we use a pool service which runs about $125 a month. We feel it is worth it. We also like the sound of the fountain on the pool as we sit on the patio at night by the fire pit. It's like a second living area for us.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

We live in the South where pools are almost standard for a home. We have a pool in our current house and every house we have owned had a pool. In fact we built two of the pools for those homes.

They have all been in-ground, with jacuzzi built in. Our current pool is 15 by 45 ft long.

Speaking of ROI, I would say that’s difficult to sell a large house where we live without a pool. We have never lost money in our pool and backyard investments.

I like it because it provides ambiance and entertainment. With or without kids, a pool to us is a given. Our child has been a stronger swimmer since very young and most kids in our area are encouraged to at least know how to float as early as 6 months. When our child was young we would have a fence up to make the pool inaccessible. This is no longer necessary.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I live in central TX. We put a pool in when our daughter was about 11 years old. Heavy use for probably the first 5 years we had it in. Since then, it's used heavily a couple of times a year when we have friends over and only occasionally by us now that the kiddo is off to college. Once you get the hang of it, maintenance isn't that hard to do yourself. Generally, I do my own repairs to a point - then I have a guy I've used for larger things. Never had a pool service, except temporarily when we've been off on vacation. Our filtration is DE based, so we backwash and and add DE every 4-6 weeks. About twice a year, the grids will need to be cleaned and that's the only regular maintenance I outsource since it's somewhat of a pain for me. If I had to do it over again, I'd have a sand filter instead, but that's really the only change I'd make.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Live in Florida, have an inground pool with a birdcage. Having a pool in Florida is mandatory for me. I have solar heating for the pool, which extends the swimming year to 11 months. I owned and built a pool for my old house in PA, so I have owned pools in both the north and the south, here are my observations:

Northern Pool
1. The pool in PA "ate" chemicals. I was constantly dealing with algae issues, I spent at least $1200 a year in chemicals to open, maintain, and close the pool annually.
2. Daily skimming for leaves
3. Annual "dive bombing" by the local crow population! Not sure if any other northern pool owners experience this, but every spring for about 3 weeks, the crow population made my pool their personal target practice.
4. Helicopter season: Then there is the 2 weeks where the helicopter seeds fly off the trees.
5. Pumps and DE Filters: For whatever reason, I went through 3 pumps and 2 filters in 10 years of ownership.

Southern Pool
1. I pay $960 a year to my local pool guy who cleans and maintains chemicals in my pool
2. The birdcage keeps it mostly trouble free
3. I swim daily and just enjoy it

While I loved having a pool for the 4 month season in PA, I think I only ever put it in because I was wishing I was in Florida. Here in Florida, there are endless pool companies that compete for your business and that keeps prices down to a very reasonable level. I could barely buy the chems for what it costs me for complete maintenance.

However, I built the pool in PA (and I also built my own poolhouse for the kiddos) for the kids and they loved it. They had many sleepovers in the poolhouse, lots of fires next to the pool and long summers of fun. As bad of a financial investment as it was, it was worth every penny for the memories and the positive experiences it gave my family. I wouldn't change a thing!

As I have gotten older, the pool is the one exercise I do where I feel more limber when I get out.

There are some things that we do in Florida to deal with the heat. First, I installed some Sunbrella shade awnings that cover the deep section of the pool in order to be able to swim without the sun beating down. The solar keeps the pool very warm without the sun beating on the water, so swimming under the sunshades is the best thing I installed. I also installed a fountain, which cools the water down 5 degrees or so in the heat of the summer.

The pool is part of everyday life here in Florida. My wife and I watch movies from the pool, we play cards (waterproof), basketball and find ourselves just talking more in the pool. Its the best part of Florida life to me.

Gator
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Have lived with in-ground pools since I was a boy. One of my earliest responsibilities was netting leaves out of our pool, though what I really wanted to do was handle the amazing, smoking acid that needed to be added occasionally. Have also built pools - the person who cautioned about landscape costs is absolutely right. A stone pool deck and accompanying landscaping can cost as much as the pool. $40k for the pool and $40k for landscaping isn't that hard to do. A pool can be expensive as you wish - just like a kitchen. Infinity edges, zero entry, water features, etc etc.

So +1 pools, with a nod to the many excellent caveats above.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:21 am We have an in-ground pool. Came with the house. Mid Atlantic state. We enjoy using it but I wouldn't put one in if one wasn't already there. Increasingly we are losing days in the summer to climbing temperatures. Some days the pool is just to warm to use.
LOSING days to climbing temps? Wouldn't you be gaining more ideal days to spend in the pool? This doesn't compute for this Minnesotan. When it's 95 degrees out, isn't that a perfect day to spend outside in the pool?
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I have a pool. I have grandkids and they enjoy it. It doesn't get used a whole lot most of the year. It uses a chlorinator that takes salt and turns it into chlorine. I find that much easier than an older pool I had that used chlorine. The house came with a pool and the wife and I like it for grandchildren bait.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
Vanguard Fan 1367

Glockenspiel wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 am
jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:21 am We have an in-ground pool. Came with the house. Mid Atlantic state. We enjoy using it but I wouldn't put one in if one wasn't already there. Increasingly we are losing days in the summer to climbing temperatures. Some days the pool is just to warm to use.
LOSING days to climbing temps? Wouldn't you be gaining more ideal days to spend in the pool? This doesn't compute for this Minnesotan. When it's 95 degrees out, isn't that a perfect day to spend outside in the pool?
I agree with you. I am in South Central Florida and most days the pool is too cold for me to want to go in. It never gets too hot for me to want to go in. We do have the pool covered by a screen porch which drops the temperature at least a little. And if I did want to really go in badly I could crank up the expensive LP gas heater.

Of course we Floridians tend to be pretty cold sensitive. I am planning a dive trip in the ocean Friday and the 83 degrees that the ocean is today will be on the cool side for my comfort level.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

kingsnake wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am Consider joining a pool. We joined a country club 2 miles away as "social" members, which means we just can't golf but pay way less money too. We use the pool 3-5x per week June-August for the last 4 years. They clean the pool, provide the towels, have a cabana for food/drinks, etc. The kids, wife, and I have met friends there. They took inexpensive swim lessons there. The pool is large an has 2 diving boards. We can play tennis or pickle ball at no extra cost, they can take junior golf, play in a large lawn next to the pool, etc. Cost total is about $5,000 per year. Seemed way better deal than putting in a pool to us.
Holy crap. I don't think we've spent a total of $5,000 on our pool since we moved in 6 years ago.
Vanguard Fan 1367

lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:45 am
kingsnake wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am Consider joining a pool. We joined a country club 2 miles away as "social" members, which means we just can't golf but pay way less money too. We use the pool 3-5x per week June-August for the last 4 years. They clean the pool, provide the towels, have a cabana for food/drinks, etc. The kids, wife, and I have met friends there. They took inexpensive swim lessons there. The pool is large an has 2 diving boards. We can play tennis or pickle ball at no extra cost, they can take junior golf, play in a large lawn next to the pool, etc. Cost total is about $5,000 per year. Seemed way better deal than putting in a pool to us.
Holy crap. I don't think we've spent a total of $5,000 on our pool since we moved in 6 years ago.
I have had issues with rats eating the wiring of my pool heaters and have 5K in 2 new pool heaters at 2500 apiece. Other expenses happen also.
Teague

Post by Teague »

We've enjoyed ours as our daughter grew up, though she does use it less now that she pursues other interests. Nowadays we let our domestic ducks use it to their great enjoyment 2-3 times per week. (The water still sparkles, the chlorine and filter do their jobs.) There was one occasion when a confused mallard laid an egg in the deep end, but we don't talk about that; it embarrasses her.

Plus, how else can I have a 30,000 gallon reaction vessel to practice my chemistry titration skills?
Semper Augustus
finfire

Post by finfire »

Would not pay for one to be installed.

Have a concrete in-ground. Converted it to a salt pool, so maintenance is minimal. Costs are fairly low.

We live in Fl. Inland it would be necessary imho. But living by the ocean, no.

When we bought house we swam Mar-Oct...we are down to May-Oct. Kids loved it but as they get older, they are going in less. They still like it tho.

If you do build an exposed outdoor pool in Florida/warm place, go larger...it will keep it cool. Lots of the neighbors have shallow pools that get uncomfortably hot in the summer.
Last edited by finfire on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Glockenspiel wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 am
If we get a stretch of weather in the mid-90s the pool temperature rises to 89-90 degrees. This year I recorded a new high at 92. the problem in mid-summer is that the nights have been trending warm so the pool just doesn't shed enough heat at night to stay at a reasonable temperature.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
eer_no_evil

Post by eer_no_evil »

Just moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in Jan- found a house that was updated in a nice neighborhood but with no pool- looked at quite a few pool contractors and finally pulled the trigger. Did a modern rectangular 90ft perimeter pool- took roughly 3months to complete with the various trades- smooth process. 27k out the door price- with $85/month for weekly cleaning and chemicals. Really enjoying so far- Not anticipating getting my money back during the sell, but in AZ with these summers and my early 30's bachelor life, I figured I'd bite the bullet. :beer
rich126

Post by rich126 »

eer_no_evil wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 pm Just moved to Scottsdale, Arizona in Jan- found a house that was updated in a nice neighborhood but with no pool- looked at quite a few pool contractors and finally pulled the trigger. Did a modern rectangular 90ft perimeter pool- took roughly 3months to complete with the various trades- smooth process. 27k out the door price- with $85/month for weekly cleaning and chemicals. Really enjoying so far- Not anticipating getting my money back during the sell, but in AZ with these summers and my early 30's bachelor life, I figured I'd bite the bullet. :beer
I've found the pool season in AZ is much shorter than many would think unless you have a heated pool or enjoy cool water. Mine maxes out around 95F in the summer but once the days get shorter and the cool mornings/evenings coupled with the dry weather it cools off quickly.

You also have to factor in the water bill (mine has been very high $150/month) and electricity to run the pump/filters. Then every 10 or so years it needs to be drained and resurfaced and that goes into the thousands.

If you don't mind spending the money, it is nice and being single is another perk.

If I had a choice now, I'd probably go for a house w/o a pool since I'm getting closer to retirement and don't really need it, or the cost of it.
chw

Post by chw »

Bought a home with an IG pool already installed. It was a nice feature when the kids were small, but generally not used much when they were out of high school. We live in an area that only has about a 10 week season- so I would not encourage the install of one unless you live in an area with a longer pool season.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Depends. Folks have a pool that was used by the kids and now the grandkids. Folks used the pool often too. I maintain it.

Dogs always had a fun time in the pool too.