iPhone backup for dummies (OneDrive, external hard drive)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr. Gatti

iPhone backup for dummies (OneDrive, external hard drive)

Post by Mr. Gatti » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm

This is what I have:

- Mr. Gatti iPhone
- Mrs. Gatti iPhone
- new iPhone (for Mrs. Gatti)
- PC
- OneDrive 1 TB plan
- iCloud plan
- external hard drive (WD Passport)

This is the issue:

I am trying to back up all the photos and videos off our iPhones and would ideally like to have them backed up to an external hard drive and also to OneDrive. We pay for iCloud but have the issue of if something is deleted off the iPhone, it will be deleted off the iCloud.

The PC is an SSD drive (less storage) that is linked up with OneDrive so I thought I could hook up the iPhone to the PC, import photos and have them go to OneDrive. Wrong- it is telling me pc storage is full before photos get imported.

I tried to hook up external hard drive to PC and also connect iPhone to PC hoping to backup straight to external hard drive. That didn’t seem to work either.

To add to all the confusion, both iPhones are listed using the same Apple ID for Mr. Gatti. With recent updates, the phones are acting crazy (e.g. both ringing when receiving calls). I wanted to get everything backed up before setting up new iPhone under DIFFERENT Apple ID.

Mrs. Gatti says I need to take it to a PC/iPhone/tech person and pay them to set it all up rather than wasting hours and still might not get it done right. Any ideas? I’m a little uneasy about leaving all our phones and pc with someone and leaving them with access to all our files on the devices. Thanks!

telemark

Re: iPhone backup for dummies (OneDrive, external hard drive)

Post by telemark » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't have an iPhone and don't know how the backup process works, but since no else has replied: in a perfect world there would be an option controlling where the files go. If you could find that you could probably point it at one of the other drives. Failing that, maybe you could free up enough space on your primary drive by moving some other files to the external drive? After the transfer is complete you could reshuffle the files to where you want them.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Mr. Gatti wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm
This is what I have:

- Mr. Gatti iPhone
- Mrs. Gatti iPhone
- PC
- OneDrive 1 TB plan
- iCloud plan

This is the issue:

I am trying to back up all the photos and videos off our iPhones and would ideally like to have them backed up to an external hard drive and also to OneDrive. We pay for iCloud but have the issue of if something is deleted off the iPhone, it will be deleted off the iCloud.

The PC is an SSD drive (less storage) that is linked up with OneDrive so I thought I could hook up the iPhone to the PC, import photos and have them go to OneDrive. Wrong- it is telling me pc storage is full before photos get imported.

I tried to hook up external hard drive to PC and also connect iPhone to PC hoping to backup straight to external hard drive. That didn’t seem to work either.

To add to all the confusion, both iPhones are listed using the same Apple ID for Mr. Gatti. With recent updates, the phones are acting crazy (e.g. both ringing when receiving calls). I wanted to get everything backed up before setting up new iPhone under DIFFERENT Apple ID.

Mrs. Gatti says I need to take it to a PC/iPhone/tech person and pay them to set it all up rather than wasting hours and still might not get it done right. Any ideas? I’m a little uneasy about leaving all our phones and pc with someone and leaving them with access to all our files on the devices. Thanks!
Generally I have preferred not to keep photos on phone because they chew up space. We don't purchase Icloud space.

If you plug in your device to PC, you usually get an option to download the photos to the PC, and also have an option to delete them from the phone. I always download them, and also delete them off the iphone - although you don't have to delete them if you don't want to.

We also have google photos on pc and phones.

Also have carbonite as PC backup, which also backs up all files, including photos.

Occasionally will back up entire PC data to an external hard drive also.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm
Mr. Gatti wrote:
This is what I have:

- Mr. Gatti iPhone
- Mrs. Gatti iPhone
- PC
- OneDrive 1 TB plan
- iCloud plan

This is the issue:

Generally I have preferred not to keep photos on phone because they chew up space. We don't purchase Icloud space.

If you plug in your device to PC, you usually get an option to download the photos to the PC, and also have an option to delete them from the phone. I always download them, and also delete them off the iphone - although you don't have to delete them if you don't want to.

We also have google photos on pc and phones.

Also have carbonite as PC backup, which also backs up all files, including photos.

Occasionally will back up entire PC data to an external hard drive also.
This. Is what I do :-)

I have backup drive that I copy the photos to from the laptop (and also upload some to google photos).
This works for me just fine (though I surprised a couple of "iPhone pros" - folks who've had an iPhone for, like, ever - when I showed them that photos and videos can be downloaded directly to the laptop without i*anything!).

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 pm

There are probably programs/apps available that makes it easier to drag and drop files from the iphone to a PC or external hard drive.

rampaadh

Post by rampaadh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 pm

When you open itunes, don't start syncing or don't backup your phone. You can access photos from windows explorer when you connect your iphone. Download the photos and copy to external drive or upload to onedrive.

If you have less storage in your PC, you have to do a small tweak to store your itunes backup folder into a external hard drive. I don't remember but you
can search google. Basically you have to create a symbolic link of the folder to an external hard drive.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:46 am

I have the same concern about deleting from iPhone deletes from iCloud. I read something recently that indicates that this does not apply to backed up photo's on iCloud. I have not tested it to find out. I've never understood how the whole iDevice/iCloud thing works and so I don't trust it. I bought a NAS and attached that to my home network, I back up all the photo's, a linux machine, a MacBook, and an iMac to the NAS. The downside of my solution is if there is a hardware failure (the NAS has 2 mirrored hard drives, so if one fails there is still one good one - hopefully). The positive thing about iCloud or other online services (if you want to trust them not be have a problem) is that it creates an offsite backup.

You didn't mention the payment plan you are on for iCloud. There is now a plan that allows sharing of 2 TB for a very low price. I have not done this but it seems like it might be reasonable for many folks.

If you have an Apple Store nearby they should be able to assist you, probably for free.

strafe

Post by strafe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am

Mr. Gatti wrote:
This is what I have:

- Mr. Gatti iPhone
- Mrs. Gatti iPhone
- PC
- OneDrive 1 TB plan
- iCloud plan

This is the issue:

I would just use iCloud. Any particular reason you would delete photos you’d like to keep from for your phone? So long as you have the “optimize iPhone storage” setting turned on, it will automatically shuttle old photos to the cloud, and you won’t run out of space on the phone(s).

All our iPhone photos download automatically to the computer from iCloud, which are then backed up to a hard drive.

strafe

Post by strafe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 am

It’s ok to keep the same ID and in fact would simplify your photo issues.

You need to change the settings under FaceTime and messages to ensure each phone gets only the calls and messages for that number. You also should turn off “handoff” under general settings. Turn off “calls on other devices” under phone settings menu.

Quest80

Post by Quest80 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 am

I like OneDrive. You can download the OneDrive app onto your iPhones and then set it such that your iPhone camera roll will automatically backup to OneDrive. You'll then have all your photos there and not have to worry about them somehow getting deleted from iCloud.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 pm

My external drive is always connected to my computer. So everything I save, is also automatically saved to my external drive. I take a lot of pictures and videos with my phone while hiking on a regular basis. After returning home, I connect my phone to my computer and all the pictures and videos are saved to the computer. Then I delete them from my phone, and again, my external drive saves them all. It saves all the versions of all documents too. My external drive was about $100 and is worth every penny of it. (P.S. also used it when I bought a new computer and had to move all the documents to the new computer.) Mine is a Seagate, but there are many others to choose from.