Books and other resources about retiring abroad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abi736322

Books and other resources about retiring abroad?

Post by abi736322 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello Bogleheads,

First time poster, long time lurker. Great to finally be a part of the community!

My partner and I are planning to move abroad in ~15 years so that we can retire early. There are so many great resources to help with retiring within the US, but I've found that the field of information thins out considerably when you start looking at living abroad.

What books/resources do you recommend for information around investing, taxes, and general financial maintenance for expats?

Many thanks in advance!

Shallowpockets

Re: Books and other resources about retiring abroad?

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

I believe there is an entire forum, much like this one, that deals with expats and all the issues and concerns and dreams.

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 am

City-Data.com
and
ExpatData.com
forums have good information once you sift through the visa Q&A.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 am

I’ve learned quite a lot from this forum. Every time I open the site, I pick up some tidbit of information, even today, just because you asked this question, I realized that Andrew Hallzm just realized a new editionin his series of books in January, Millionaire Expat: How To Build Wealth Living Overseas. You may be in retirement mode now, but may pick up some useful info to avoid some pitfalls of living abroad. Thanks.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 am

My wife and I subscribe to International Living magazine. I believe you can get it for $49/year and arrives once/month. Good resource and subscription allow you access to their online archives of articles, although you can get a lot of info for free just on their website.
https://internationalliving.com

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 am

I'm not really sure how much there is that can put in a book. Basically you do all the normal things and then need to read the specific tax treaty between a specific country and the US, along with the tax code of that specific country.

It is pretty hard to write generic expat advice that contains much useful information.

15 years out is a long time to start worrying about details, since laws change. Is a Roth considered a pension-equivalent where you are moving? If not, then don't put money in one. But maybe that law will change in the next 15 years. So probably put money in one?

rs397

Post by rs397 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 am

I haven't seen any good book that comes highly recommended on retiring abroad. I think the best thing to do is to go visit the countries of interest and live there spend a month or two at a time. That will give you a far better sense of what it is to live as an expat. Of course, forums are a good place. Reddit has a digital nomad subreddit that could be of help in getting a sense of what it feels like to live in different countries.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 am
I'm not really sure how much there is that can put in a book. Basically you do all the normal things and then need to read the specific tax treaty between a specific country and the US, along with the tax code of that specific country.

It is pretty hard to write generic expat advice that contains much useful information.

15 years out is a long time to start worrying about details, since laws change. Is a Roth considered a pension-equivalent where you are moving? If not, then don't put money in one. But maybe that law will change in the next 15 years. So probably put money in one?
Agree with AlohaJoe, 15 years is way to long to worry about the details. If you know where you are going to retire, then start by looking for blogs and vlogs that specialize in that area. It is likely there is a whole YouTube community of expats doing daily videos on your country of interest. Start bookmarking the blogs, subscribe to the YouTube vlogs and get a lot of great information. From there, you will be led down certain specific paths of interests, including financial.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 am

The WSJ has some articles about it.

If you and your partner have never lived abroad before, I'd recommend doing that before building your retirement plan on it. Very different from traveling, even extended travel. Some love it, some like it, some just tolerate it, amd some can't.

Tax law will probably change a lot in the next 15 years, so keep that in mind.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am

abi736322 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:07 pm
Hello Bogleheads,

First time poster, long time lurker. Great to finally be a part of the community!

My partner and I are planning to move abroad in ~15 years so that we can retire early. There are so many great resources to help with retiring within the US, but I've found that the field of information thins out considerably when you start looking at living abroad.

What books/resources do you recommend for information around investing, taxes, and general financial maintenance for expats?

Many thanks in advance!
Try this blog:

https://www.gocurrycracker.com/

abi736322

Post by abi736322 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you for the responses everyone. There are some great leads and wisdom in here!

Keri22

Post by Keri22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Expatforum.com has been invaluable for expats in France.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Here's a community (subreddit) from Reddit:

www.reddit.com/r/IWantOut/

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

For a retiree, living abroad is not a lot different than living in a no-tax state. It is quite different if you are earning money inside of your new country.

I live in Thailand now (as a working expat). One thing I will say is that if you want the same type of life you currently live, expenses will not differ much (and can be similar to the US, even more with periodic travel home). Of course, you can live a nice life very cheaply if you want to change what you are used to, and you choose a cheap destination.

It's a great experience to travel and live abroad, but it's not for everyone. Like the previous poster said, spend some time in your target country before moving permanently, and have a backup plan.

Also, in 15 years it's very possible that "cheap" places like Bangkok will be more expensive than most US cities. Globalization and technology is eroding the price disparities between countries, and replacing them with disparities between people with different skill sets and abilities.