How to stop mail for former occupants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

How to stop mail for former occupants?

Post by miamivice » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:08 pm

The previous occupants of our address moved and did not submit a mail forwarding card. At first it was interesting mail - like retirement account statements, etc. (Yes, I was nosy and yes I did open mail that was not addressed to me). Eventually that stopped as they switched their accounts to on-line only. Now it's just junk mail. I figured it'd eventually stop.

They left over five years ago.

Today, we are still getting a ton of junk mail for them. Actually it's increasing, not decreasing. Almost half of the pieces we receive each day are for them. And, the names that are being included on the mail are expanding. It started with just his and her. Then we started seeing mail to her maiden name. Then her mom. Now we're getting mail her mom's new husband or something or another.

How do I make it stop? I have started writing "RTS Addressee Undeliverable" and leaving with our outgoing mail, but that hasn't stopped it yet. I am thinking about bringing a stack to the post office and asking them for help, but first wanted to ask here.
Last edited by miamivice on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nearly A Moose

Re: How to stop mail from former occupants?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

From my experience, it will never stop. Sorry.

If you're getting catalogues, you should be able to contact the senders one by one to unsubscribe (or try Catalog Choice). If anyone has had success here, I'd love to know about it.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

This could help some.

http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail

I still very rarely but occasionally get stuff addressed to former occupant of 20 years ago.

This from google search

https://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Mail-for-P ... -Residents

njuser

Post by njuser » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm

I still get a variety of mail on a regular basis from people who lived here 14 years ago.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:08 pm
(Yes, I was nosy and yes I did open mail that was not addressed to me).
That is illegal, and perhaps felonious. Please don't do that again. Everyone's privacy should be respected.

Edit: Based on the images of mail I receive each morning via email (Informed Delivery), Big Postal Brother has a record of which mail not belonging to you was delivered to your address and when.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

amock

Post by amock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm

samsoes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm
miamivice wrote:
That is illegal, and perhaps felonious. Please don't do that again. Everyone's privacy should be respected.

Edit: Based on the images of mail I receive each morning via email (Informed Delivery), Big Postal Brother has a record of which mail not belonging to you was delivered to your address and when.
It is not illegal to open mail that is not addressed to you but has been delivered to you. See https://legalbeagle.com/6293417-federal ... d-you.html.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

If you're getting catalogues, you should be able to contact the senders one by one to unsubscribe (or try Catalog Choice). If anyone has had success here, I'd love to know about it.
Catalog Choice works phenomenally. I set it up for some relatives who were getting catalogs in the mail everyday and their mailbox was buldging. Now, the catalog count is pretty much zero. I can't say enough about how effective this service is.

I don't see why it couldn't be set up with the former occupant's name and the OP's current address.

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Maybe you can write "not reside at this address" and drop it in the mailbox. This is what I usually do.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 pm

The title of your thread is confusing...you are not receiving mail from former occupants, you are receiving mail addressed to former occupants.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

amock wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm
samsoes wrote:
miamivice wrote:

It is not illegal to open mail that is not addressed to you but has been delivered to you. See https://legalbeagle.com/6293417-federal ... d-you.html.
Thank you for that. One my pet peeves is when people expound on what is illegal without any legal training whatsoever and without an informed basis.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I don't get junk mail from former occupants but for people with similar names who live in my building. Seems like some company selling address lists must combine my apartment number with their name based on the same building address.

Writing anything on the junk mail (Not at this address, Return to sender) has had no effect. The companies that send the mail either don't get the mail back or don't do anything about it if they do. Most of it is cable and telephone company solicitations. Giving it to the intended recipient has had no effect. (I assume they aren't bothered by me getting junk mail with their name on it.) So now I just shred it.

For catalogues not for me but with my address, I call the company that sent the catalogue and ask them to stop. That always works although sometimes a few more are delivered before they stop because the mailings are already in process.

Something you might try is taping a note in your mailbox asking the mailman only to deliver mail to your box for people with the last name X.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

azurekep wrote:
Catalog Choice works phenomenally. I set it up for some relatives who were getting catalogs in the mail everyday and their mailbox was buldging. Now, the catalog count is pretty much zero. I can't say enough about how effective this service is.

I don't see why it couldn't be set up with the former occupant's name and the OP's current address.
It could. Anyone can set it up with anyone's name and address.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm

azurekep wrote:
Nearly A Moose wrote:

Good to know, thank you. The OP in a previous thread indicated that s/he is so intensely private, that s/he didn't want to reveal - even anonymously on this forum - the make and model of her/his car. Such privacy works both ways.

I am equally intensely private, and agree that the temptation to look at misdrlivered mail does exist. But I've always marked all misdelivered mail as such and put it back it into the mailbox. (My mail carrier told me i could trash bulk mail - even in envelopes - without worry.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm

samsoes wrote:

Naa, it's a record of what they intend to deliver to your address in the near future. Sometimes I find additional items (for neighbors) in my mailbox, which I then hand-deliver to my neighbors. And occasionally it takes a couple extra days for a scanned item to actually show up in my mailbox, perhaps because it first went into a neighbor's box?

We don't have the problem the OP has because no one else has ever lived at this address. If I was in the OP's situation, I would for a little while write "not at this address" on mail that looks "useful" and return it to the USPS. Obvious junk mail (catalogs) I would throw out with my own junk mail. If the flood of regular mail doesn't stop, I would eventually stop dealing with mis-addressed mail since I don't get compensated for the work and just discard it as unwanted trash found in my mailbox. I wouldn't open it, though.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you for that. One my pet peeves is when people expound on what is illegal without any legal training whatsoever and without an informed basis.
I know what you mean. It makes my blood boil :wink:

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

miamivice wrote:
The previous occupants of our address moved and did not submit a mail forwarding card. At first it was interesting mail - like retirement account statements, etc. (Yes, I was nosy and yes I did open mail that was not addressed to me). Eventually that stopped as they switched their accounts to on-line only. Now it's just junk mail. I figured it'd eventually stop.

They left over five years ago.

Today, we are still getting a ton of junk mail for them. Actually it's increasing, not decreasing. Almost half of the pieces we receive each day are for them. And, the names that are being included on the mail are expanding. It started with just his and her. Then we started seeing mail to her maiden name. Then her mom. Now we're getting mail her mom's new husband or something or another.

How do I make it stop? I have started writing "RTS Addressee Undeliverable" and leaving with our outgoing mail, but that hasn't stopped it yet. I am thinking about bringing a stack to the post office and asking them for help, but first wanted to ask here.
We have the same issue. I just write Deceased- Return to Sender on the envelope and leave it for the mailman. It doesn't help, but it makes me feel better.

The thing that really annoys is somehow my wife got on same mailing list for Cancer researchers/Oncologists. We get 2-3 mailers/magazines for CME or cancer research every single day!

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:58 pm

samsoes wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm
The OP in a previous thread indicated that s/he is so intensely private, that s/he didn't want to reveal - even anonymously on this forum - the make and model of her/his car.
I remember that but didn't remember who it was. That's good to know as context for the comments about opening someone else's financial mail and reading it.
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chevca

Re: How to stop mail for former occupants?

Post by chevca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

The USPS doesn't care what you write on there and send back for them to handle. The just round file/recycle it. That's the best bet for OP as well.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 pm

As mentioned by one other poster...I've had some luck with Catalog Choice. You have to be patient and you have to enter every name that comes to you (even different spellings of the same apparent name). But it does slow down and some things stop all together.

It is some work on your part, but it was worth it to me.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm

azurekep wrote:
Nearly A Moose wrote:

It takes a long time to get it to stop. But I also used catalog choice and then write "return to sender" and "no forwarding" on EVERY piece of mail and drop it into the mailbox or at the PO. And it eventually stopped.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm

chevca wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm
The USPS doesn't care what you write on there and send back for them to handle. The just round file/recycle it. That's the best bet for OP as well.
I am not sure that this is true. At work, I have seen mail returned to us and I believe including those as described.

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

student wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm
chevca wrote:
I am not sure that this is true. At work, I have seen mail returned to us and I believe including those as described.
Maybe, but probably not with all junk mail. What did you guys do with that info? Did you make sure not to send the new folks mail anymore?

Maybe it's on the businesses that don't care? :happy

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm

chevca wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm
student wrote:
chevca wrote:
Maybe, but probably not with all junk mail. What did you guys do with that info? Did you make sure not to send the new folks mail anymore?

Maybe it's on the businesses that don't care? :happy
Yes. We update our database. We are non-profit (university) so we are certainly not going to waste money on postage. (Of course, that's the right thing to do anyway regarding unwanted mail.)

PNW1

Post by PNW1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:05 pm

student wrote:
chevca wrote:
The USPS will return certain classes of mail, but not others, as part of their service.

If you look at the mail, often in the upper right portion of the envelope where the stamp would be, you'll see something like "First" or "FC" or "Std" or "Mkt" or "Standard" or "BPM" or "Per" or any of a number of different designations. These all describe different classes of mail, which cost commercial mailers different amounts and provide different services. First Class (First, FC, etc) is the class that personal correspondence or financial information must be sent as, per the USPS. It's sent with higher priority, and includes address forwarding and returning to sender. When you put a "Forever" stamp on an envelope and drop it in a mailbox, it's what you're using. When you get a bank statement or a bill (not just marketing junk mail) from a bank or a business, it was sent First Class.

If you get someone else's First Class mail, it would be kind of you to write "Occupant not at address" on the mail piece and drop it in outgoing mail somewhere. If you get someone else's junk mail, for sure just trash/recycle it.

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I did mean junk mail in my earlier post. I thought it was implied since that's what the OP was talking about.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I understand that mail returned to the Post Office will just be tossed if it was not sent as first class mail (full rate postage). For first class mail, if it is marked as "undeliverable--address unknown", it is supposed to be returned to the sender.

I was trustee for a relative who died but while living, their mail was forwarded to my house for several years. After they died, I got a stack of pre-paid postcards from the post office and filled out a bunch of them as "<name> is deceased. Please remove from all further mailing lists." Then as the mail came in addressed to the person, I taped the mailing label addressed to them on the same side of the card. On the stamp side, I addressed it to the sender. I also logged who I notified. After the cards were mailed, I never heard from the same party again.

I think that the fact that it was on a different kind of mailer than the envelope that was originally sent made it stand out, and the post office couldn't throw it out. Someone at the other end had to do something and thus the mailings from them stopped. You can even do this for junk mail (sent at a discounted rate) as the post office will never notify them.

This is a good time of year to do this as the year-end statements are arriving and places are now gearing up for President's Day sales.
Last edited by celia on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm

This doesn't work for everyone, but I give it to my 2-year-old. He loves opening mail!

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm

PNW1 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:05 pm
student wrote:
chevca wrote:
The USPS will return certain classes of mail, but not others, as part of their service.

If you look at the mail, often in the upper right portion of the envelope where the stamp would be, you'll see something like "First" or "FC" or "Std" or "Mkt" or "Standard" or "BPM" or "Per" or any of a number of different designations. These all describe different classes of mail, which cost commercial mailers different amounts and provide different services. First Class (First, FC, etc) is the class that personal correspondence or financial information must be sent as, per the USPS. It's sent with higher priority, and includes address forwarding and returning to sender. When you put a "Forever" stamp on an envelope and drop it in a mailbox, it's what you're using. When you get a bank statement or a bill (not just marketing junk mail) from a bank or a business, it was sent First Class.

If you get someone else's First Class mail, it would be kind of you to write "Occupant not at address" on the mail piece and drop it in outgoing mail somewhere. If you get someone else's junk mail, for sure just trash/recycle it.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes. We use first class mailing service.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm

ianferrel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
This doesn't work for everyone, but I give it to my 2-year-old. He loves opening mail!
I would be careful with that. What if he opens and "distributes" all the mail before any adults see it? Or he starts using it as scratch paper or for other "projects"?

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

celia wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm
I would be careful with that. What if he opens and "distributes" all the mail before any adults see it? Or he starts using it as scratch paper or for other "projects"?
He's not tall enough to reach the mailbox yet, so we don't have to worry about that for a while. And almost all of our mail is junk mail anyway. And the more important the mail, the less likely he is to be interested. His favorite is outdoor-gear catalogs. We have a Patagonia catalog that he brings to me regularly to "read tree book".

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm

student wrote:
chevca wrote:
I've definitely had it redelivered to me again, and that's when it was an actual misdelivery (ie wrong quadrant in town$!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

rhornback

Post by rhornback » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm

This is a topic that hits home to me. It has been 2.5 years and I still get mail addressed to the former owner.

I always take the time to put 'return to sender, addressee has moved' and put it back in the mail box. Hopefully the post office sends that mail back to the sender and they update their mailing list. I think this helps but not everyone will update their list. And whatever list some of these companies buy from, well they will continue to use the old addresses sometimes.

Once after living here a year and not paying attention I opened the former person's mail and it was a financial document. Really, it has been a year and I was not really paying attention. I closed it back up and sent it back.

The former owner sent me an email that was not so nice. I replied to them that maybe their service provider should send financial documents signature required (and it had been a year).

My understanding is it is a felony to interfere with the delivery of U.S. mail. However, if it is sent to your address and you open it by mistake that is not suppose to be a big deal, as long as you ultimately send it along. I really did not like the former owners who lived here and I really do not want to know their business. I try to do a better job checking now. But really it is has been years.

It does slowly seem to get better. I do get less and less every year.

student

Post by student » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 pm

rhornback wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm
Once after living here a year and not paying attention I opened the former person's mail and it was a financial document. Really, it has been a year and I was not really paying attention. I closed it back up and sent it back.

The former owner sent me an email that was not so nice. I replied to them that maybe their service provider should send financial documents signature required (and it had been a year).
They should send you a thank you note...

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

I sometimes get offers that are addressed to me or others with return envelopes inside that are prepaid postage. I'm talking about credit card offers, magazine offers, etc. You know the kind that say, "No postage required if mailed in the United States".

I usually take everything out of the original mailing that has my contact info on it and then just mail the rest back in the prepaid envelope they provide. I figure I'm helping the post office by increasing their revenue and hurting the junk mailer because they're paying for it.

If I were you I would take any offers like this that are addressed to the former owner and just stuff everything in the return envelope and send it all back. I'd be sure the former owner's contact info is in there as well. I suspect after getting two or three of these back and paying the postage the junk mailer will get the message and take that person off their list.

Just my $0.02.

Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm

As far as the comments about the ethics of opening mail addressed and delivered to my mailbox, I have these comments.

1. It's now my mailbox. I purchased the house from former owner, which included access to the mailbox. It's a locked mailbox and they gave me the keys to the mailbox. If he didn't want me reading mail that was properly delivered to the correct mailbox, he should have addressed this with his financial providers before the house closed.

2. I never met the former owners. I don't know them, they don't know me. It doesn't make any difference if I know what they have in retirement or not, since we don't know each other, I'm not a crook, and am not going to swindle them.

3. Had they filed a mail forwarding card before they left, this wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't be receiving their mail. (I am quite sure their lack of filing a mail forwarding card was an intentional act - they didn't want their junk mail to follow them to their new address.)

4. I did give them a reasonable length of time to update their accounts (a few months). I finally opened up a financial document after about 6 months when they were stopping on their own.

I don't believe I committed any ethical breach. If you want to keep your information private, don't have it sent to an address you longer reside at.

Post by 123 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm

After returning mail with a notation "No longer at this address" for a time some stuff would still come. So what I started to do was mailing the envelope (or catalog address page) back in a stamped envelope with a notation to please change mailing address to: the address of the sender as indicated on the mailing piece. No complaining, just a simple address change. Sure it cost me a little postage but it worked. Perhaps the mail is still going out with the new address but it's not coming to me and for all the know the sender may be holding it until the addressee requests it. It's not my problem anymore.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

I’ve been at my address for 5 years and get mail for 3 different prior tenants. I used to write does not live here and leave for mailman. Now it goes straight into the trash.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm
I don't believe I committed any ethical breach. If you want to keep your information private, don't have it sent to an address you longer reside at.
I agree.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm

amock wrote:
samsoes wrote:
miamivice wrote:

That is not accurate. Rely on that "legalbeagle" article at your own peril. You might not be caught, but do not knowingly open other people's mail, even if it was sent to your address.

Meet Mr. Coleman, who opened mail sent to a previous occupant of his apartment. He was convicted, and the conviction was upheld.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... 6134008829
Last edited by Finridge on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Same experience here. I too have been receiving mail for the previous tenants for more than 20 years, and not just the previous owner but several ones before them too. One of them was a senior who moved away more than 20 years ago, and was on every AARP and Medicare list, so I'd get a dozen postcards and other junk around enrollment time. I went through the "return to sender" bit, which helped for a while, but then things just resumed. Slowly they did fade away, so each year I wound up receiving a little less, but I still get them today. But now, somehow, the same mailings have been updated to MY name :oops:

And this is not the first database that has snafued my record. I still get solicitations with a unique misspelling of my name that I traced to a credit record that was long ago corrected and erased. These are databases that originate from the credit bureaus, but wind up getting sold and resold over an over again. Whenever I see it, I instantly recognize it as junkmail and the source.

Like email and spam, the only real solution is to abandon the address and get a new one. If you do that, DO NOT fill out a change of address form that will inform all the junk mail places of your new address. Personally contact only those businesses, friends and relatives you want to know your new address. Of course, this only works if you're willing to move, and leave the problem to the next owner. Of course, you will inherit the previous addresses of the new home, which may not be better and might be worse depending on your luck. I guess the way around that is to purchase a newly built home at a completely new development with a new address (kind of like making up a new email address, instead of getting a recycled phone number and getting wrong number calls). Anyway, with everything electronic and parcel delivery services, old fashioned USPS physical mail is becoming archaic.

westie

Post by westie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I got a wonderful fruit basket when the prior owners dad passed away.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 pm

I saved a whole box worth and manually delivered it to the person. Some of the mail was junk but some were also important.

I know where he lives so I drove up and explain to him that he should forward his mail. His bank accounts were about to be frozen by IRS and he wasn't getting the mails.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Find out where they live and have your junk mail forwarded to them. It's only fair.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm
As far as the comments about the ethics of opening mail addressed and delivered to my mailbox, I have these comments.

1. It's now my mailbox. I purchased the house from former owner, which included access to the mailbox. It's a locked mailbox and they gave me the keys to the mailbox. If he didn't want me reading mail that was properly delivered to the correct mailbox, he should have addressed this with his financial providers before the house closed.

2. I never met the former owners. I don't know them, they don't know me. It doesn't make any difference if I know what they have in retirement or not, since we don't know each other, I'm not a crook, and am not going to swindle them.

3. Had they filed a mail forwarding card before they left, this wouldn't be a problem as I wouldn't be receiving their mail. (I am quite sure their lack of filing a mail forwarding card was an intentional act - they didn't want their junk mail to follow them to their new address.)

4. I did give them a reasonable length of time to update their accounts (a few months). I finally opened up a financial document after about 6 months when they were stopping on their own.

Of course you committed an ethical breach when you deliberately opened and read someone else's mail without a valid reason to do so.

All of your comments or points above are just a description of the circumstances or attempts at justification for doing it.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 am

return to sender, address unknown
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54-QHEZN6E

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 am

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm
DO NOT fill out a change of address form that will inform all the junk mail places of your new address. Personally contact only those businesses, friends and relatives you want to know your new address.
One problem with this. If you have health insurance purchased on healthcare.gov, the insurance company will not change your address; they will tell you to change it on the healthcare.gov website. But, the healthcare.gov website will not allow the address to be changed to a different state. I'm not sure if this is any state or just states that have their own exchange websites.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am

OnTrack wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 am
inbox788 wrote:
DO NOT fill out a change of address form that will inform all the junk mail places of your new address. Personally contact only those businesses, friends and relatives you want to know your new address.
One problem with this. If you have health insurance purchased on healthcare.gov, the insurance company will not change your address; they will tell you to change it on the healthcare.gov website. But, the healthcare.gov website will not allow the address to be changed to a different state. I'm not sure if this is any state or just states that have their own exchange websites.
OT, but if you're moving states, you might have to buy new insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/options-when-moving/

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 am

inbox788 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am
OnTrack wrote:
inbox788 wrote:
OT, but if you're moving states, you might have to buy new insurance.

https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/options-when-moving/
Yes, I did, the old insurance was not good in the new state (except for emergencies). However, I still wanted to receive the tax statement and EOBs from the old insurance company.

amock

Post by amock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:49 am

Finridge wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm
amock wrote:

That is not accurate. Relay on that "legalbeagle" article at your own peril. You might not be caught, but do not knowingly open other people's mail, even if it was sent to your address.

Meet Mr. Coleman, who opened mail sent to a previous occupant of his apartment. He was convicted, and the conviction was upheld.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case ... 6134008829
There's much more to that case than Mr. Coleman just opening mail that wasn't addressed to him. That case even talks about lacking the state of mind required to be guilty under § 1708 for people throwing mail away.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 am

OnTrack wrote:
Health coverage policies are usually state-specific although some companies have provider networks that cover multiple states. The companies are regulated by the states. If you move between states and buy your coverage on any exchange (state or federal) you have to get new coverage and should qualify for a special enrollment period in order to do so.